New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default There Are No Green-Skinned Space Babes! - Let's Play: Space Empires V

Also known as: Conquering the Galaxy for Fun and Profit, with your host, me!

This half-baked plan of mine was actually inspired by a Let's Play from way back in 2008-2009 done on this very board, by Playgrounder Maxymiuk, whose playthrough of Space Empires IV was a great read and good fun to participate in (towards the end, anyways). Plus, I have some free time to burn, and might as well do something at least moderately entertaining.

All of the relevant information is in the Spoilers below. Read and be educated!

Spoiler
    Show
    Eh? What? A Let's Play? Space Empires V? What is this madness?!

Indeed, kind reader! Let's Play: We play these games so you don't have to! A Let's Play is fairly straightforward: A gamer goes through a game, and keeps a record of his/her progress, occasionally in the form of a narrative with pretty pictures (screenshots), encouraging an audience's influence over his/her decisions where possible through voting. Space Empires V is especially conducive to this kind of-

Wait, wait, wait. What's Space Empires V?

Oh, right. Space Empires is a 4X game series created by Malfador Machinations and then published by a company called Strategy First, in the vein of Civilization. Only it's in space, and was noticeably made on a lower budget. Space Empires V is, thus far, the latest entry in the series. Major aspects of the game are really bad AI, and being in space (which I find awesome). A major selling point of the game is the ability for players to introduce mods, but we will not be doing that under any circumstances. I have incorporated the latest patch, and that's about as far as we'll get along the lines of editing the game files.

Awesome!

I know, right?

Just wait, it gets better. I will be permitting audience participation in this Let's Play. Amazing, right? Guys? That's totally incredible, isn't it?

Audience participation?

Well, basically, you guys get to vote, pitch ideas for how I should run my little empire into the ground, and generally have a good time influencing the way the game proceeds.

Neat!

Isn't it?

Yeah, totally!

Good, let's get this show on the road.

But I had more questio-

NO MORE QUESTIONS.

I think we took a wrong turn at Cewandi...
    Spoiler
    Show
    First off, we need to decide what kind of map and game set-up we're going to have.

This is the map setup screen.

For the sake of having surprises in store for us as we explore brave new worlds, seek out new life and new civilizations, and boldly go where no man has gone before, I don't intend to generate a map for us to look at before the game. I've also taken the liberty of going with a Large map for our playthrough, to maximize game length/exploration potential.

In the lower left, and lower middle, you can see general options and map types we can play on. Just in case you can't see either list, I've got them detailed below. Feel free to vote on which map type we're going with, and if you have an opinion on the General Options, please speak up.

Map Types

Mid-Life: This is the default map type, and generally the one I play on the most. You get the occasional nebula, black hole, or asteroid field, but it's rare you'll ever get one close to another. I much prefer this one for its uneven star system distribution, which can lead to dead ends in chains of star systems. There's a reason I like that (chokepoints make for fun defensive positions, and it's easier to defend when you've got one such chokepoint to cover instead of dozens of individual chokepoints throughout your territory), but it's not about what I like, so much as what you guys want to see.

Cluster: This one has a lot of systems clustered together closely in clumps, and then linked to other clumps. Sort of the same result as Mid-Life, only with way more chokepoint potential. This consequently takes a bit of the challenge out, until you want to break into another cluster, or start dealing with opposition within your own.

Galactic Edge: This one's fairly evenly spread in terms of system placement, but as a result, every system has at least two ways in, and often has three or four. It's a nightmare for defensive purposes, but good if you want to have a challenge keeping aliens off your lawn.

Spiral Arm: Sort of a combination of Mid-Life and Galactic Edge, there's not a whole lot to say about Spiral Arm. The age of individual stars is usually not relevant when you're playing on this map type, and as I understand it, black holes and nebulae are fairly rare by comparison to Mid-Life. This leads to less 'dead' star systems, which directly leads to easier access to resources as we expand.

Grid: When it says 'Grid', it's not kidding. Very grid-like map with multiple ways in or out of any given star system. Nothing much else to say. Resources aren't really anything special.

Ancient: A nightmare to play on. Black holes and nebulae everywhere, which means way less colonizable worlds, which directly leads to far, far less in terms of resources, and defensible territory. I personally hate this map type with a passion, and will not be playing on it regardless of how many of you vote in favor of it. I'm simply mentioning it for the sake of a complete list.

Diamond: Numerous interconnections across most systems. Very similar to Grid, but there's not much else to be said.

General Options

All Warp Points Connected: This guarantees all star systems will have Warp Points (wormholes we use to travel between star systems), which means every system will be connected to every other system. This allows us to move our fleets and colonists across all of the quadrant. If this is turned off, there's a chance some star systems could be isolated completely from the wider galaxy until we start using Stellar Manipulation technology to create our own Warp Points. For the sake of simplicity, this is staying on by default.

No Warp Points: Exactly what it says. The above option would be rendered totally pointless if this were turned on, so this stays off.

Warp Points Located Anywhere: This one, you guys get to vote on. If this is off, Warp Points are always located on the edge of the star system they're in. If this is on, they could be anywhere in the system, including right next to your homeworld. It's not exactly a game-changer, but it could make some parts interesting.

Finite Resources: Limited resources on planets for us to exploit. With this turned off, we get resources directly proportional to how many facilities on planets we have built to extract them, and how much in the way of resources a given planet has, per turn. I'm leaving this off, for the sake of making sure we don't end up crashing and burning as an empire because we got resource-screwed with our initial colonies and can't afford to keep paying upkeep costs as we proceed. It's happened to me in previous games, and it'd bring the game to a swift and sorry end, which I don't want with this run.

How's our system looking compared to the neighbors'? Do we need more starbases? I bet we need more starbases.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Here's the main player set-up screen.

Here, we pick settings for all individual player stats, including the computer players. Anything decided here goes for everyone in the game. It's also where you guys get to vote the most, besides our actual empire's creation and Game Options.

Technology Cost: How many Research Points our technology is going to cost us all across the board. This directly translates to how long it takes us to research anything, and how much it would cost us if we were to start using starting tech points.

Low: I find this tends to work best at making the game more casual. With the large number and levels of different technologies, Low Technology Cost simply translates to 'what can I get you this turn?'

Medium: This is fairly reasonable for a rate of tech research, but not as fast Low.

High: It'll take a while to research anything, at all, ever. This can be good for a challenge. If you want to race against time, pick High. I'll take it if the readers want it, but I honestly prefer Medium.

Starting Resources: How much we have in the way of resources to start with. Duh.

Low: We start off dirt-poor. This doesn't really matter all that much, to be honest. Our initial colonies will net us enough resources to fill up our storage facilities and get us at least a decent surplus per turn. Hopefully.

Medium: Off to a decent start, but again, doesn't matter unless we get totally hosed in our home system.

High: This basically just saves us time.

Homeworld Value: How awesome is our homeworld?

Bad: Our planet's a deathworld with crap-tastic resources. We want to get out into space because it SUCKS.

Average: Can't complain.

Good: We want to bring a slice of this place to other worlds! Spread the awesomeness around!

Homeworld Size: Is our homeworld the size of everyone else's, or are all home planets different?

Same Size: We get off to a relatively equal footing as everyone else.

Not the Same Size: It's a bit of a roll of the dice. If our homeworld's too small by comparison to everyone else's, it could actually impact our early development a bit. Our homeworld could also end up a bit larger than normal, in which case, bonus for us.

Racial Points: This is relevant to the fun part of our start. How many Racial Points do we want? These basically let us pick out awesome things our species is good at, for a point cost. The less points we have, the less bonuses we can pick out.

None: We get to pick out no bonuses without taking some penalties, and very little is noteworthy about our people. Makes the game far more challenging than you might think.

2000: The low end of a point budget.

3000: Average point budget, which lets us make our empire respectable right at the start.

5000: Lets us take the galaxy by storm and show off a bunch of awesome bonuses.

Starting Tech Points: These help us determine and pick out our empire's starting technology. If we pick a point budget, everyone else gets it too, so choose wisely.

None: We get to climb the tech-tree the old-fashioned way. It adds to the challenge, so I'd much prefer it if we took this.

100,000: A modest tech-boost at the start.

1,000,000: A fairly impressive tech-boost at the start.

10,000,000: We can pick and choose quite a bit of the tech-tree right from the beginning of the game. We won't be taking this at all. Makes the game far too easy.

All: Exactly what it says. We get the entire tech-tree researched at the beginning. No wait, no muss, no fuss. We will not be taking this at all for the same reasons as above.

Empire Distribution: How far away all of the empires are from each-other. I'm sticking with the default settings on this, which are 'Evenly Distributed', and 'Do not allow empires to start in the same system', for the sake of simplicity.

I've also set the game to have a high number of computer players to maximize opposition, and set the computer difficulty to 'High' to compensate for the bad AI. Single-system 'Neutral' Empires are also in play, for kicks.

What's happening in the galaxy these days?
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the general Game Options screen.

Here, we get to decide Event Frequency and Severity. Everything else has already been covered to speed us on our way. Most of it's not important, and the parts that are have been decided by me for various reasons.

Event Frequency: How long a time frame there is between potential disastrous events for our empire. The settings are None, Low, Medium, and High.

Event Severity: How bad the above-mentioned events can get. settings are Low, Medium, High, and Catastrophic. Catastrophic events can wipe out entire colonies, so be careful with this one.

Let's get cracking! We have an empire to build!
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the fun part of the start-up. Here, we get to make our own race. We start by picking a flag and ship style. There's too many flags and ship styles for me to go through them all with images, and you can get a decent look at half of the available ship styles in the game with just this picture.

To speed things up, I'll be picking our flag and ship style, which I will decide based on what seems to fit our race's other aspects (which will be decided by you guys). Ships are in the bottom right, flags in the bottom left. We also name our race, ruler, the ruler's title, and our actual government here, all of which will be up to you guys. Suggest some names, and I'll pick what I like the best.

The picture below shows the Homeworld Type selection screen, and Racial Portrait options. Again, I won't be going through the Portraits with individual images, but the Homeworld type is important. We have Rock, Ice, and Gas Giant planets to pick from, and then different atmospheres. We can have no atmosphere, or we can have Oxygen, Methane, Carbon Dioxide, or Hydrogen atmospheres.

Our pick of homeworld type determines what type of colony tech we start with, and our pick of atmosphere determines the planets we can utilize to their maximum potential. Any planets other than our home atmosphere type require a domed colony, which cuts back on the amount of space our colonists would have to build facilities our empire can use. Here, we also actually name our species (suggest one, and I'll use what I like the best) and pick a one-word description such as 'Humanoid', 'Cybernetic', 'Lizardlike', and so on, to describe them.

For the homeworld, our government will stand strong!
    Spoiler
    Show
    And here's where we start getting to the good stuff: We need to pick a government type.

The government type we pick doesn't change however we run our empire, but it affects our stats all throughout in small ways.

Government Types

Anarchy: Loyalty, Intelligence Defense, and War Tolerance all suffer -8% penalties, but Research and Foreign Population Assimilation both go up by 8%.

Democracy: Same as above, but lower all bonuses and penalties by 2%.

Corporate: Same as Democracy, but lowered once more by 2%.

Republic: Same as Corporate, but lowered once more by 2%.

Oligarchy: No bonuses or penalties whatsoever.

Theocracy: Loyalty, Intelligence Defense, and War Tolerance all get +2% bonuses, but Research and Foreign Population Assimilation both suffer -2% penalties.

Monarchy: Same as Theocracy, but with an extra 2% or -2% tacked on where appropriate.

Tyranny: Same as Monarchy, but more.

Hive: More of the same.

Collective: Once again, more of the same.

Oh, sure, join galactic society. Psht. Stereotypes.
    Spoiler
    Show
    And so, with our government selected, we go to something much more important: Society.

Our society determines much greater bonuses and penalties, and generally allows us to determine our races overall attitude towards the rest of the galaxy. Here, it's far more difficult to pick any 'balanced' choice. This really affects the style of play you're going to fall back on the most in Space Empires V, so choose wisely.

Society Options

Artisans: Resource collection drops by 2% across the board, with a 4% drop in scientific research. Artisans make up for this with a +5% to happiness and +5% to trade with other empires.

Berzerkers: -5% to resource collection, trade, construction and repair rates, and scientific research. How does this sound at all feasible? We get the ability to pretty much crack heads left and right. +20% chance to-hit in combat, and +10% weapon damage.

Engineers: +5% to repair and construction rates. Nothing special, but no penalties.

Farmers: Organic resource collection goes up by 10%. No penalties, but it's not exactly the best option out there.

Industrialists: Another culture with no penalties. Industrialists drop all maintenance costs by 5% and increase resource collection by 5%. Generally nice and well-rounded without any downsides.

Mechanics: Maintenance costs drop by 10%, and repair rates for damaged units go 10% faster. The downside comes in the form of trade and intelligence generation, both of which take a -5% penalty.

Merchants: Generally the same as Mechanics, with 10% lower maintenance costs, only replace the increased repair rate with +10% trade. Similar penalties: -5% to intelligence generation and -5% to scientific research.

Miners: +10% to mineral resource collection, and no downsides.

Neutral: Ah, yes, the boring culture. +2% to all resource collection, +2% to research, and +2% to intelligence generation, and no downsides.

Politicians: +5% happiness/loyalty, +10% trade, -5% intelligence generation and research... What?

Refiners: Radioactives resource collection goes up by +10%. Small-time.

Schemers: +10% Intelligence generation. Nice if you want us to sabotage enemy fleets often.

Scientists: +10% scientific research, with no downsides. I personally like this, but it's not top of the heap at all.

Suppliers: 10% drop in all maintenance costs, +5% to ordnance and supply generation for starships and units, and a -1% penalty to research. Oh, and -3% penalty to all resource collection.

Traders: +10% to trade. Shocker.

Warriors: The berzerkers' less insane cousins. +5% to weapon damage and +10% to-hit in combat. Comes with a -5% to research and intelligence generation.

Xenophobes: +15% to intelligence generation, and -5% to trade.

So, what makes us so special in this crazy, messed-up galaxy?
    Spoiler
    Show
    With our society selected, there's one last part to the empire creation, but it hinges on those Racial Points I was talking about earlier. If you guys decide to not have me take any Racial Points, it's kind of pointless for me to elaborate on Racial Trait options. I'll use this spoiler for it if you guys decide to take any points, and if so, how many points you want.

Captain on deck!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Maxymiuk did this in that SEIV LP way back when, so I figure it's a decent idea to encourage audience participation.

To contribute to opportunities for audience participation later on down the line, I'll allow members of the audience to feature in the LP's narrative as starship captains and admirals. Fun, right?

Now, in Space Empires V, I tend to avoid actual fleets entirely, favoring bands of individual ships I can break off from one another quickly and easily to cover different tasks as necessary. So anyone who gets declared an Admiral will basically be in charge of a fleet 'in name only', so to speak. If that makes any sense.

Admiral positions are first come, first served, and I'll only be taking five unless a situation requires another Admiral. Captains can come in at any time, but be warned, it takes time to build a ship, so it may take a while to get to you. As an Admiral or Captain, you guys will decide how your ships are built/equipped, and get a bigger say in overall strategy than other audience members.

Please submit a ship and character name using the following format. First come, first served.

Captain or Admiral? - Are you the guy in charge, or just following orders?
    Name - How the Captain/Admiral of your ship will be identified in the LP's narrative.
    Ship Name - Obviously, your ship's name.
    Ship Type - Come up with a general concept for your ship's design, and I'll do my best to accomodate your request.

With that, I will open the thread to voting, complaints, comments, and general chatter regarding the upcoming Let's Play.

And remember: Have fun with it!

EDIT: I'll also be listing all of this LP's entries here, now that it's underway.

Chapter 1: 2400.0-2400.1: Genesis
    Last edited by blackouttwo; 2011-07-22 at 04:58 PM.
    Vespe Ratavo slowly destroys the GRIMDARKNESS of Warhammer 40K

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Said by Vespe Ratavo

Stealing romance novels from the tech-priests...we've seriously hit a new low...
    Destro says:
    Ok, it's allowed this once, but only because it gives Vespe the chance to crack awesome jokes

Vespe says:
    That could really be used to justify anything...

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

Let's Play Space Empires V

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Let's Play: Space Empires V

I vote for Trader Hive. We are the ultimate capitalistic force. All will be assimilated. None can resist Our low, low prices.

Also I'll post a captain/admiral application when it's not two in the morning. Looking forward to this!

Edit: A Corporate is fine too.
    Last edited by Vespe Ratavo; 2011-07-18 at 01:27 PM.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Corporate Engineers, and 2000 race points. Fear the race of mechanically inclined businessmen.

For captain and ship...

Captain Destro of the Kilemhall, a warship armed with loads of shooty guns.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

*pokes head in*

I'm gonna vote for Corporate Schemers.

...Why are you looking at me like that?
    Last edited by Darkcomet; 2011-07-18 at 02:35 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Default Re: There Are No Green-Skinned Space Babes! - Let's Play: Space Empires V

I read through the whole thing once, but as I'm a lazy bum I'm not going to read through it again to see what options you don't want to use and am now posting something that would look quite hilarious in a let's play:
    Spoiler
    Show

Map type: Ancient

Because seeing your first colonization ships get pwnd by black holes would be absolutely hilarious.

Quadrant Size: Large

All Warp Points connected, Warp Points located anywhere in the system (<--- means scouting a system takes sometimes a turn more)

Technology Cost: Medium

If it's on low, you will be teching new things faster than you can buil old ones. And high is just too slow. So medium.

Starting Resources: Medium

So you will actually have to scout for good planets, and can't just spam colonization ships.

Homeworlds: Similar homeworlds to all players. As good as possible. This means you will have to defend your homeworld, and you can't spam more colonization ships and use them to colonize as good planets from the other side of your empire.

Racial Points: 2000

Pick these traits:

Propulsion Experts (All space vehicles get +1 additional movement point)
    Ancient Race (Empire has seen the entire galaxy at the start of the game)
    Smart (Research generation throughout the empire increased by 5%)
    Foolish (Intelligence generation throughout the empire decreased by 5%)

The first one is a HUGE advantage, even if it doesn't seem to be.

Ancient race means scouting is a lot easier... Always a good thing. (But don't cheat with this to find the enemy home worlds )

Smart is explained above. Foolish so we can afford Smart (research is a lot more useful than intel)

Starting tech points: none

Set Empire distribution on even, and the not in the same system thing on what ever you want.

Sight Settings: The first or the second one. Pick by yourself.

Events:High&Catastrophic. Because black holes are fun.

Don't care for empire names etc.

Homeworld type: Rock

Atmosphere:Oxygen

Government type:Anarchy

Society:scientists

I find these settings fun. They are a bit easy, but I think that if you let the readers vote on some decisions you will get the much needed challenge in the game.

I'll make an admiral application soon
    Quote Originally Posted by bigstipidfighte View Post
    Pahvi, if this is serious, you are a god among men.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: There Are No Green-Skinned Space Babes! - Let's Play: Space Empires V

Large, Spiral arm, All Warp-points connected.

Medium Tech/Resources, Average Homeworld of normal size. 3,000 Racial Points, 100,000 Tech points to start with.

Medium time, Catastrophic severity with Events.

Home world/us:

We're the Arursican people.
    We're bear-like.
    We come from an Ice world, with a Carbon Dioxide atmosphere.

We're also a republic of Engineers.

And me? I'm Captain Tha'na Tos of the warship Retribution.
    I also have a slight proclivity for Alpha Strikes.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm in favour of some sort of corporate state. We will have all the money in the galaxy!

And I'll sign up for the fleet as Captain Herman of the pirate ship privateer law-abiding merchant vessel Carpe Pecuniam. I'm up for all sorts of piracy raiding of economic assets.

Edit: Moar votes!

Map Type: Cluster, Large
    All Warp Points Connected: Yes
    Warp Points Located Anywhere: No
    Finite Resources: No

Homeworld Value: Good
    Homeworld Size: Not the same size
    Racial Points: 3000
    Starting Tech Points: None

Event Frequency: Medium
    Event Severity: Medium

Empire Type: Corporate Alliance
    Emperor Title: President

Homeworld: Rock and Methane
    Physical Type: Lizards

Government: Corporate
    Society: Merchants
    Last edited by Lord Herman; 2011-07-18 at 01:43 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8

I read that entire thing so you can be damn sure I'm voting on everything.
    Cluster, warp points located anywhere, finite resources, technology cost and starting resources medium, homeworld value good, same size, 2000 racial points, high event frequency and severity, Republic artisan society.

And I want a ship called the Starship Andromeda captained by Dillain Hunt the USS Enterprise captained by Jean-Luc Picard The Normandy captained by Alexis Sarah Shepard The SS Sun-Strider, captained by Lady Verag, an eccentric moon-colony royalty who seeks out new races. *nodnod*
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    I read that entire thing so you can be damn sure I'm voting on everything.
    Cluster, warp points located anywhere, finite resources, technology cost and starting resources medium, homeworld value good, same size, 2000 racial points, high event frequency and severity, Republic artisan society.

And I want a ship called the Starship Andromeda captained by Dillain Hunt the USS Enterprise captained by Jean-Luc Picard The Normandy captained by Alexis Sarah Shepard The SS Sun-Strider, captained by Lady Verag, an eccentric moon-colony royalty who seeks out new races. *nodnod*
    What about the Neemah, Captained by Tali-Zorah?
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Admiral Narkis, reporting for duty, sir! I shall command my fleet from the bridge of the Predator, purging all Xenos in Your name. None shall stand before us! Our ships' Superior Weaponry will smite them from the heavens before they approach and befoul us with their vile presence.

Spoiler
    Show
    I will vote on everything! Mwahahahaha!

Map Type: Ancient. Because having a blackhole guarding your flank is fun! (And because you told us not to vote for it.)

Starting Resources: High
    Homeworld Size: Same
    Racial Points: The more the merrier: 5000
    Starting Tech Points: None. Zero. Zilch. Nada.

Event Frequency: High
    Event Severity: Catastrophic. Fun times are ahead!

Empire Name: Anything but Arursican
    Empire Type: Empire
    Emperor Title: Emperor
    Emperor Name: Blackouttwo

Race Name Same as the Empire name

Government: Tyranny!

Society: Berzerkers!
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Empire Name: Anything but Arursican
    Well, then, give him a suggestion!

For the record: Arursican:
    Arctic - Voted for an Ice World
    Ursine - Also voted for bear-like
    -can - Pretty much just because it make it sound like something, like American or Human, and -ish didn't sound right.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Nah. I suck at names. I'll second one if I find one that I like. And sorry Thanatos, nothing personal. I just didn't like the sound of it.

13. - Top - End - #13

OK, when I said 'please don't vote for the Ancient map-type', I meant 'I'm not taking it, even if you guys vote for it.' It'd make for a short, annoying Let's Play if we end up surrounded on all sides by black holes, and I don't want that. Trust me, it's a bad idea. And I mean a bad idea.

But I'm dead serious: Please pick something else for the map type. Anything but Ancient is good.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealing romance novels from the tech-priests...we've seriously hit a new low...
    Destro says:
    Ok, it's allowed this once, but only because it gives Vespe the chance to crack awesome jokes

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

14. - Top - End - #14

Captain Foster of the House, reporting in. I hope that the pilots of all the fighters aboard my ship are behaving. (Carrier type ship, if you please.)

Map Type: Spiral Arm, Large

Starting Resources: High
    Homeworld Size: Different
    Racial Points: 5000
    Starting Tech Points: None, to start with

Empire Name: The First Emblemic Republic
    Empire Type: Republic
    Emperor Title: Emperor
    Emperor Name: Norton

Race Name: Dreadnaughts

Government:

15. - Top - End - #15

Ooh, watching with interest!

[For the most part copied/pasted from someone else]

Map Type: Cluster, Large

Homeworld Size: Not the same size
    Starting Tech Points: None

Empire Type: Corporate Alliance
    Emperor Title: President

Homeworld: Ice World
    Physical Type: Dopper Polar Bears

Government: Corporate

[/For the most part copied/pasted from someone else]

Captain: CrotchPunch McDwarfbeard, son of FacePunch McDwarfbeard.

Ship: BurnMaimKill

Type: Missiles. Directed energy weapons of the "Superheated relativistic Plasmaie Death". Armor? For little girly men, I say! Armor means we can fit less missiles and superheated relativistic death!
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

Map type: Spiral arm, large
    Warp points located anywhere: No

tech cost: medium
    starting resources: low
    homeworld value: Average
    homeworld size: same
    Racial points: 3000
    Tech level: None

Event severity: Medium

Homeworld: Ice and Carbon Dioxide
    Race Name: Gauntalo
    Physical Type: Insectoid
    Homeworld name: Golo

Government: Theocracy
    Culture: Xenophobes

Empire Name: Glorious Empire of the One (The One for short)
    Empire Title: High Priest
    Ruler Name: Juil

I'd like to be Captain Aramshan, of the vessel Black Joke, a missile ship.
    Last edited by Inigo Montoya; 2011-07-18 at 06:08 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruki-kun View Post
    Wikipedia NEVER had me busy for a whole day the way TV Tropes did. If Wikipedia is a Time Killer, TV Tropes is a Time Genocider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    If you squint really hard, this is the plot of the Command & Conquer: Red Alert series.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis97
    Is the entirety of WoD made up of small decrepid ghost towns?

Inigo Montoya avatar by Serpentine.

17. - Top - End - #17

The Polls So Far

The Homeworld
    Spoiler
    Show
    Homeworld Atmosphere

Methane: llll
    Oxygen: lll
    Carbon Dioxide: ll
    None: ll

Homeworld Value

Good: llll l
    Average: llll
    Bad: l

Homeworld Size

Same Size as Everyone Else's: llll
    Not the Same Size: llll

Homeworld Type

Rock: llll
    Ice: llll ll
    Gas Giant: ll

Events
    Spoiler
    Show
    Frequency

Low: l
    Medium: llll
    High: llll l

Severity

Medium: llll
    High: l
    Catastrophic: llll l

The Species
    Spoiler
    Show
    Government

Corporate: llll l
    Republic: lll
    Tyranny: l
    Anarchy: l
    Theocracy: ll
    Monarchy: ll

Society/Culture

Engineers: ll
    Merchants: l
    Berzerkers: l
    Artisans: l
    Traders: ll
    Scientists: l
    Xenophobes: ll
    Schemers: lll
    Industrialists: l

The Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Warp Point Locations

Anywhere in a System: llll
    Edge of a System: llll l

Size

LARGE BY DEFAULT

Map Type

Cluster: lll
    Spiral: llll
    Mid-Life: ll
    Edge: l

Tech, Racial Points, and Resources
    Spoiler
    Show
    Starting Tech Points

None: llll ll
    Low: llll

Tech Cost

Medium: llll llll

Starting Resources

Low: lll
    Medium: llll ll
    High: ll

Racial Points

2000: llll
    3000: llll
    5000: lll

I left out the candidates that haven't gotten any votes thus far, and no, you can't change your votes. If you haven't made any votes for some of the stuff here, feel free to go ahead, but no backtracking.
    Last edited by blackouttwo; 2011-07-18 at 07:53 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I've been trying to play SE:V since I got it at the Steam sale, and there just doesn't seem to be any motivation to /do/ anything. No one attacks me, I'm in no danger of running out of resources.. etc.

So, I'm interested in seeing how someone else plays it. :)
    Ask not for whom the wolves howl, they howl for thee.

--- Also known as [GITP] Magentawolf

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Admiral Artemis of Audacity reporting in.

Now, let's see about voting... Some of these I can't influence so I won't bother, others... I'd probably end up making a tie and that won't help anything either...

Homeworld - Methane and Ice of Average Value (Why make it easy on ourselves?)

Species - Theocratic Schemers, 5000 Racial Points! 100,000 Tech Points

I'd prefer a humanoid race, don't care what you call it. Oh, but I am going to pick pictures from what I can see in the screen shots. For the flag/logo I want either the green flag in the top row, second collumn, or the blue with the gold wings, second row last collumn. I like the blue ship style, bottom row center, and the race portrait of the alien in the red robes, bottom row, second collumn.

Feel free to contest any of the picture stuff, I'm just making suggestions.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by blackouttwo View Post
    OK, when I said 'please don't vote for the Ancient map-type', I meant 'I'm not taking it, even if you guys vote for it.' It'd make for a short, annoying Let's Play if we end up surrounded on all sides by black holes, and I don't want that. Trust me, it's a bad idea. And I mean a bad idea.

But I'm dead serious: Please pick something else for the map type. Anything but Ancient is good.
    Well, it seemed like a more fun way of saying "I don't care about the map type"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

This looks pretty schweet...

Hmm. Lesse:

Map Type: Spiral Arm
    General Options: Warp Points Located Anywahere
    Starting Resources: Low
    Homeworld Value: Bad
    Homeworld Size: Not The Same Size
    Racial Points: 2000
    Starting Tech Points: 100,000
    Event Frequency: Low
    Event Severity: Reinholdt (Cat-astrophic )
    Planet Type: Ice
    Atmosphere Type: Oxygen
    Species Name: Drow

...why are you looking at me like that? >_>

Government Type: Monarchy
    Society Options: Xenophobes

Captain Kelly of Joyeuse, an Enhanced Deterrence Explorer. *nodnod*
    Last edited by The Bushranger; 2011-07-18 at 06:18 PM.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' NutsThe RusskijsBushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    CondimentsPianosTumbleweedsDrow BloodlineHalf-Drow NobleLacy Items

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Putting in a vote for an ice homeworld as well. Don't care what sort of atmosphere it is. Just add my vote to whichever has the highest number already.
    I used to do LP's. Currently archived here:

My Youtube Channel

The rest of my Sig:
    Spoiler
    Show

My Games:
    The Great Divide Dark Heresy - Finished
    They All Uprose Dark Heresy - Finished
    Dead in the Water Dark Heresy - Finished
    House of Glass Dark Heresy - Deceased

We All Fall Down Dark Heresy - Finished

Sea of Stars Rogue Trader - Ongoing

23. - Top - End - #23

Map Type: Galactic Edge
    General Options: Warp Points Located Anywhere
    Homeworld Value: Average
    Starting Tech Points: 100,000
    Event Severity: Catastrophic
    Planet Type: Gas Giant
    Atmosphere Type: None

Yeah, figure that one out. A gas giant with no atmosphere.

Species Name: Ai'tol
    Government Type: Corporate
    Society Options: Industrial

Captain Rolov present and accounted for!

(All other factors up to whim and discretion)

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Map Type: Mid Life
    General Options: Warp Points Located Anywahere
    Homeworld Value: Average
    Starting Tech Points: Low
    Event Severity: Catastrophic
    Planet Type: Ice
    Atmosphere Type: Oxygen
    Government Type: Monarchy
    Society Options: Schemers

Admiral Melankoli, the capable, intelligent, and incredibly pessimistic admiral who commands the flagship The Wilting Orchid, a highly defensive ship with a few powerful secret weapons.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesnít happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

25. - Top - End - #25

Atmosphere: None

Admiral Erikkson of the Forastrix, a ship armed with 1 of the cheapest weapon available, and then as much armour as you can shove into it.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by billtodamax View Post
    Atmosphere: None
    Isn't that kinda an oxymoron?

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' NutsThe RusskijsBushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    CondimentsPianosTumbleweedsDrow BloodlineHalf-Drow NobleLacy Items

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    Isn't that kinda an oxymoron?
    That's why I suggested it in the first place. I wanna see if it does something or if there is a catastrophic failure right out of the starting gate.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by Terumitsu View Post
    That's why I suggested it in the first place. I wanna see if it does something or if there is a catastrophic failure right out of the starting gate.
    That's the best part. Nothing happens. You're not liable to find any other Gas Giant with no atmosphere, but nothing special happens. It's one of several ways the game can break the laws of reality.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

29. - Top - End - #29

Admiral Havelock comes in peace, along with his starship Brimstone, for when he does not. Recently declared the most pimptastic warship in known space by Low Gravity Rider magazine, it is equipped with such features as a full hot tub deck, a state of the art sound system that uses special gravity wells to allow it to annoy others in the void of space, and roughly 10,000 nuclear warheads haphazardly strapped to the front to deter those who would cramp his style.

Avatar and sig-banner by Mr_Saturn.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Vespe Ratavo View Post
    Admiral Havelock comes in peace, along with his starship Brimstone, for when he does not. Recently declared the most pimptastic warship in known space by Low Gravity Rider magazine, it is equipped with such features as a full hot tub deck, a state of the art sound system that uses special gravity wells to allow it to annoy others in the void of space, and roughly 10,000 nuclear warheads haphazardly strapped to the front to deter those who would cramp his style.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, concludes Admiral enrollment.

Voting for all of the other stuff will be concluded and closed sometime within the next hour or so, so if you haven't voted yet, please do. From there, we'll go ahead and pick Racial Traits, finally select our race's/empire's name, and the title of our ruler, and then from there, get the game started.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan