New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Bugbear in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: There Are No Green-Skinned Space Babes! - Let's Play: Space Empires V

I'd request a slot as captain Demon of the battleship "The Treads of War that Shalt Crush you Underneath as I Sing the Litany of your Destruction." Hopefully loaded with huge cannons and torpedoes.

He will of course be a peaceful man by nature, hating the destruction all around him and doing his best to prevent unnecessary casualties on both sides and find peaceful solutions. That is, when he's on his medication. At other times....
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt

2. - Top - End - #62

Default Re: There Are No Green-Skinned Space Babes! - Let's Play: Space Empires V

How about Sinas?

3. - Top - End - #63

I'm partial to the Children/Sons of ____ as a race name, ____ being whatever our homeworld is called. Works better for a theocratic race, though...

Maybe Akcians? Soparle? The gremxuls? Statolasians?
    I just put "bearded lizard" through Bad Translator and I picked out a couple cool sounding roman-lettering ones.
    (Translates into "lizards measures," for those curious.)
    Last edited by Mr. Moon; 2011-07-22 at 01:11 AM.
    "You tied your wings on tightly but they always come undone"
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal
    Beautiful red panda avatar by Eldar Tsufo!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Something that starts with "Cla". Clasnen? I dunno.
    Recaiden made the mime doll.

Spoiler: Nexus Characters
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65

Quote Originally Posted by Moon_Called View Post
    I'm partial to the Children/Sons of ____ as a race name, ____ being whatever our homeworld is called. Works better for a theocratic race, though...

Maybe Akcians? Soparle? The gremxuls? Statolasians?
    I just put "bearded lizard" through Bad Translator and I picked out a couple cool sounding roman-lettering ones.
    (Translates into "lizards measures," for those curious.)

Y'know what, I like 'Akcian.' Let's go with that.

First update will be within the next few hours, so sit tight, people!
    Vespe Ratavo slowly destroys the GRIMDARKNESS of Warhammer 40K

Spoiler
    Show
    Originally Said by Vespe Ratavo

Stealing romance novels from the tech-priests...we've seriously hit a new low...
    Destro says:
    Ok, it's allowed this once, but only because it gives Vespe the chance to crack awesome jokes

Vespe says:
    That could really be used to justify anything...

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

Let's Play Space Empires V

6. - Top - End - #66

Chapter 1: Genesis

Spoiler
    Show
    "Mr. President, this budget's been run by the Board of Representatives. Everyone is in agreement with the plan. The shipyards are ready to begin production at a moment's notice." Shaz Hazil held in his hands numerous datapads with budget reports, status reports for the first (and thus far, only) orbital shipyard, and endless other details regarding the status of the global Corporate Alliance (CorpAll for short). Sitting in front of him was the most powerful man on the planet: Corporate Alliance President Trel 'Blackout' Heldane.

This is our system overview. You'll be seeing a lot of this. This is where we control our ships outside of combat, see which planets are where, where Warp Points are, select units and destinations, get a glance at our star map (which allows us to switch between different system overviews) down in the lower left corner, order cargo transfers from ship to ship and from a ship to a planet's surface (or vice-versa), etc. This is the overall hub of the entire game.

"Shaz. I want you to level with me. Do you think we're ready?"

"Mr. President?"

"For this. We're talking about the hopes and dreams of numerous generations before our's. The realization of hundreds of years' worth of deep thought as we looked up at the stars, and wondered if we could one day reach beyond our cradle. Are we ready?"

Oh, boy, here he goes. The secretary suppressed the urge to roll his eyes at his boss's philosophical questions. He had a point. This was the kind of thing that would shake their entire race to their core if it somehow failed. "Sir, you and I both know we're ready for this. The R&D division has been hard at work for years with an almost limitless budget, every other corporation on the planet with any respectable management is prepared to chip in for joint ventures, and the shipyard's up and running. This is as close to 'ready' as we're ever going to get."

This is a closer look at the other end of our home star system. At the bottom of the screen, you can see readouts about our homeworld. That hex you see around that one planet means that planet's been clicked on by the game's cursor, which gives us further details. Clicking that series of buttons directly to the right and above the readout gives us system reports, planet reports, and a closer look at the sector (hex) that planet resides in. Upper left contains our flag, nation's name, leader's name, System Modifiers (which are things that effect every ship and unit within the system), and everything to the right is our available resources.

At the top, there's a series of buttons that lead us to other menus, and in the lower right there's a control panel for whatever unit, planet, or ship we've clicked on and selected in the system overview. Those two planets near our homeworld, that have little red circles next to them, are habitable. That means we have the colonization tech we need to establish colonies on those worlds, but they don't have the same atmosphere. That means we'll end up making domed colonies, which aren't as productive. At the bottom, just below every planet's colony type and population, is their resource value: Mineral, Organic, and Radioactives. These are important to consider when colonizing new worlds.

"I suppose you're right." The President sighed heavily and stood to walk over to the window. In his hands, he was looking at several proposed ship hull designs. All of them looked promising. The majority of the technology being used was intended to allow ships to be fairly easily, cheaply and quickly retrofitted for the ships to be upgraded. But, the plans for the colony ships they intended to send out called for the colony ships to be deconstructed as they landed. The colony modules would then support the colonists through the colony's early construction period as they prepared to either import or grow food, and export whatever materials would turn a profit for the colony and its sponsor corporations. As such, retrofitting and upgrading the colony ships would never be a concern.

This is one of our ship and unit creation screens. We come here, decide whether or not we want to create a ship design or satellite or space station or something, and it gives us a list of hull types that we've researched to choose from. We start off with frigates, colony ships, and small freighters. Despite the ship hulls being obviously intended for specific purposes, there's little to no restriction on what you can actually put on each kind of hull. For example...

"Going with this one, sir?"

"Of course not."

"Sir?"

"It's larger than what we need, and therefore would cost more and take longer to construct. I was thinking..."

"This."

"Sir, that's far too small. That was intended for our exploration ships."

This is the actual ship design screen. Here, we pick from components we've researched (the list is off to the left), and put them on our ship design grid. To the right, we pick Upper, Middle, and Lower Decks. These have no impact on the ship design or function beyond giving us more squares. We have Inner and Outer Hull squares, and Armor squares. We're not doing any armor on this ship design, and as you can see, we're putting only two engines on.

"I know, but the tonnage fits perfectly. The colony module weighs in at 200 KT. Bridge, life support, and crew quarters would all take another 30 KT. Then the hull would be able to support a pair of engines. We could roll two out of the shipyards within two months, with no danger to the colonists or the crew, and get both colonies fully constructed and operational by the end of the year. And with a massive surplus in the budget, we could put more assets towards the exploration ships. They'd be ill-suited to any kind of long-distance travel beyond the wormholes. But, within this solar system..."

"I see. Sir, that's very well thought-out. So you'll be falling back on the bigger one for colonization beyond the wormholes?"

"If the expeditions return."

"Of course, sir. There's no telling if those wormholes actually lead into some...super-destructive black hole or something."

And here is our finished colony ship design. We can use this to look at what we've created. Off to the right, we have buttons to let us edit designs we've completed, but haven't constructed, as well as upgrade our designs with newer technologies of the same type that they already mount.

"So, what design did you decide won the bidding for the scout ships, Mr. President?"

"This one looks promising. It's got cargo bays and proper sensors, and a satellite bay. That'll help with finding other planets to colonize with newer ships."

Yes, even though it looks the ships look the same, that's a limitation of the game's artwork and graphics, rather than anything I did. So any ships of the same hull size will look precisely the same.

"I agree, sir."

President Heldane smiled at that. "Of course you do. It's your job." The two shared a brief laugh about that before resuming their inspection of everything they were required to go over.

"So, the satellites are just dropped behind the exploration ship as it passes through a sector?" Shaz looked at the design specs curiously, wondering how much they were paying the scientists to come up with new ways to clutter space up with random pieces of crap and trash.

"That's the plan, apparently. Simple enough. They pick the satellite back up and hand the data off to us as they return to the homeworld, so we can pick and choose new colony worlds. Then redeploy the satellites in another system beyond those new colonies if more wormholes present themselves in these theoretical other star systems."

"Clever design."

And the best part: You can custom-build anything. ANYTHING.

"The satellite itself isn't all that clever. Starship sensors and a big supercomputer for recording sensor data."

"Of course it's not clever, Mr. President. It's purpose-built. And, what have we here?"

There's actually a reason for me to construct and deploy this: Colonists get happier when they have ground troops on their colonies. I have no idea why, considering it's pre-First Contact, and even after First Contact, you have to consider it's not gonna be wartime unless something bad happens to one group or the other.

"The new 'Colonial Civil Protection Vehicle' from Defiance Industries. Hilarious, really. I think we'll only be deploying it for riot suppression on the colonies, at worst."

"Is that...Is that a railgun? They mounted a railgun on a civil protection vehicle?!" Shaz's eyes almost popped out of their sockets at the sight of the depleted uranium cannon on the vehicle. This thing wasn't a police vehicle. It was a tank.

"According to the sales pitch, space can be dangerous." The President sounded very deadpan as he spoke, obviously recognizing the absurdity.

"Mr. President, there's radiation, and possibly going to be rebel colonists. The second one would only happen fifty or sixty years later on down the line. What's to defend against?"

"I have no idea, but Defiance Industries insisted on getting the right to deploy their new CCPV on the colonies post-colonization. As one of the major backers of the colonization program, I have to oblige their insane request."

And here's our construction queue screen. On every planet, you get one of these. You can build any ship, unit, or facilities you've designed or researched. In the upper left, you can see we have 2000 KT of Facility Space. That's from our Advanced Storage Techniques bonus, and it means we can build two more facilities on our homeworld. I've got them earmarked for Intelligence Facilities. You'll see why in a minute.

"So how long will it take us to get all of this off the assembly lines, Shaz?" The President idly looked out the window as Shaz got the exact numbers.

"According to what I'm looking at...we can have our first two colonies built and operational, with twenty satellites and a pair of scout ships ready to go beyond the wormholes by the end of the year. CCPVs too, but they won't be able to get a ride on the colony ships. We can transport them with those freighter designs we were given, but that'll take a bit longer. By this time two years from now, everything regarding the colonization program will be going well."

"Excellent."

This is one of our Research screens. We have different tabs for different types of research: Applied Science for civil technologies, like new ship designs, upgraded space yards, new colonization technology, new engines, etc. Then we have Weapons Technology (not gonna cover that for a while), and Theoretical Science, which lets us open new avenues of Weapons Technology and Applied Science.

"Oh, uh, one more thing, Mr. President. Requests for additional funding for R&D. From...just about every applied technology firm in CorpAll."

Heldane sighed and took the forms, looking over the requests and possible options for R&D. It was all standard fare.

And here's the Theoretical Science, which can get us really cool toys.

And I'm putting everything we have to start in our Intelligence Services research, because we don't start with any. It's important we play to our strengths, which means lots of Intelligence. And we can't get that unless we research it.

What really caught the President's eye was the promise of better surveillance and spying techniques from one company, Trinity Unlimited. It was the best way to head off any potential rival elements. He wasn't one of those paranoid crazies that tried to suppress the populace with constant observation, but it helped to keep less savory elements such as anti-Corporate terrorists and white-collar criminals from operating. And they weren't under much pressure to do anything else.

"Trinity Unlimited Surveillance gets the bid. Anything else, Shaz?"

"No, Mr. President. That should just about cover it."

"Good. Now, I need to think. Please, bring a compiled list of my decisions to the Board of Representatives, and tell them I'd like to see them sometime later this week. Let's make history."

This is our news screen. We get regular news updates every turn detailing the results of what we did the previous turn: New colonies, technological advances, new ships coming out of our shipyards, etc.

2400.1, Akcius Orbital Shipyards

"All maintenance shuttles are to be on standby for the event. Dock 1, repeat, Dock 1, prepare for launch."

"Affirmative, control."

The 'event' that Akcius Orbital Shipyards was preparing for was the launch of the first Akcian colony ship: The Genesis. Numerous colonists onboard, and all of the materials needed to get their first colony operational.

"Anchor 4, disengaged...Anchor 3, disengaged...Anchor 2, disengaged..."

"prep engines for launch."

"This is Genesis, cycling up engines, over.

"Engines cycling up. Anchor 1, disengaged.

As the colony vessel's engines finally activated, the ship slowly left the orbital drydock. Cheering could be heard all across the orbital station, and in factories, offices, and stores all across the homeworld.

"This is Genesis. We are away."

"Roger, Genesis." The voice of the shipyard comm. officer remained gripped with nervousness, and some other emotions he couldn't quite name. This was the crowning achievement of the Akcian race. All across the planet, this event was being televised from numerous angles by shuttles, and commented on by reporters. Inspiration, trepedation, unbridled joy, and fear of the unknown created a global melting pot of confusion, and those in orbit witnessing the event in person were no different. In the end, all the comm. officer could do was simply wish the colony ship luck. "Godspeed."

It was all the people of Akcius could do to avoid going mad with excitement over the next two weeks. Eventually, they got word from the Genesis. They'd landed, and would have the foundations of the colony world of New Akcius established by the end of the month.

It was done. The Akcian people had reached the stars.

As you can see, I haven't given New Akcius a Colony Type. I left it blank because we've reached the next bit of audience participation: What should New Akcius (and our other, as-yet unnamed colony) be used for? We have 3300 KT of Facility space, which is enough for three facilities. We're sure getting 10% more facility space that we can't use. It's good for larger planets, but not much else.

On top of that, we need to decide which exploration ships are gonna go through which Warp Point. I (obviously) intend to explore both. Sunstrider and Joyeuse would be the ships that go through either one, first. We can go through the Warp Point nearer or further away from the Homeworld.

And that's all for our first entry in this LP. Finally! Hope you guys enjoyed the read. Obviously, audience participation's not going to be absolutely insanely ultra-deciding as it was before, but you guys get to help choose how to do stuff nonetheless.

Spoiler
    Show

Stealing romance novels from the tech-priests...we've seriously hit a new low...
    Destro says:
    Ok, it's allowed this once, but only because it gives Vespe the chance to crack awesome jokes

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

7. - Top - End - #67

Totally needs to be an organics colony. Because, like, organics. They're crazy important, I swear.

Or they would be, if we were a bug and organics race. But now we're left with a useless, fertile space rock.

And no bugs.

bugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugs

I say to go for the warp point that's closer.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Cobalt's idea is pretty good, though I'd say to put one intelligence facility down instead of going completely all-organics.

The closer warp point is good too.
    Spoiler
    Show

by Happyturtle and Ashen Lilies

FFR Links:

9. - Top - End - #69

There would still need to be room for a space yard, though, unless all strategy from IV is a joke in V's terms and who needs ships. How many facilities can you build on a Medium non-breathable world in V with the bonus to building space counted in?
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-07-22 at 10:01 PM.

10. - Top - End - #70

I'm kind of confused about what we're able to do with our fancy new planet. I'd like to use it as a research and construction facility - get our sciences going early so we have a technological edge as soon as possible.

Also, Lady Verag is gonna want to go through one of those warp points as soon as possible. She's already pouring a lot of the last of her wealth into a ship of her own.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

11. - Top - End - #71

Quote Originally Posted by Cobalt View Post
    There would still need to be room for a space yard, though, unless all strategy from IV is a joke in V's terms and who needs ships. How many facilities can you build on a Medium non-breathable world in V with the bonus to building space counted in?
    Facility space is determined by a combination of planet size and atmosphere. Breathable atmospheres get 80% more space on any given planet than non-breathable atmospheres.

As it stands, with our first off-world colony, we have enough space for three facilities, since our 10% bonus to facility capacity ain't doing jack for us except on the Homeworld. It will continue to do very little for us until we find decent-sized planets with our atmosphere type. Superior ship numbers are not as insanely important as in SEIV, and I think one space yard per system should do it for us.

In order to speed up our research rate, we'll need research centers, though, so Moon_Called's suggestion is a good one. We gotta tech up and take the lead if we wanna get anything properly fitting the future galactic overlords.

I'm kind of confused about what we're able to do with our fancy new planet.
    The way this works is that we build facilities on our planets that benefit our empire somehow. Resource-collection facilities, research and intelligence centers, cargo and resource storage facilities, spaceports, space yards, and resupply depots are what we can build right now. That list is going to expand based on what we research as time goes on, so we'll get more and better options. We can also improve on existing options, but at this time, that's not the best idea unless we're talking about ships or ship components of some kind. The vast majority of our research focuses on that anyways.

Totally needs to be an organics colony. Because, like, organics. They're crazy important, I swear.
    Cobalt's idea is pretty good, though I'd say to put one intelligence facility down instead of going completely all-organics.
    Both good suggestions.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

I say we make it a research colony. We don't need organics yet, and we can always change it later.

The 10% may not be doing anything on a small, domed colony, but if I'm seeing the screenshots correctly, it's already given us space for two more facilities on the homeworld. So it's doing a fine job.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

13. - Top - End - #73

Our eggs are now no longer all in the proverbial basket. As such, I believe that research that could be determined to be too... 'potentially genocidal' as the bleeding-hearted liberals would call it, could be conducted on our new colony.

Oh, and I guess they can farm, too. Just as long as the insanely dangerous research and intelligence work gets done!

By the Seven Gods, I want a batch of Radioactive Koala Stormtroopers with frickin' eye lasers in development by the end of the decade!
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by psilontech View Post
    By the Seven Gods, I want a batch of Radioactive Koala Stormtroopers with frickin' eye lasers in development by the end of the decade!
    Ob'enn, then?

I propose a research facility, and the exploration of the closer warp point. Better to know what might be ready to eat us sooner, than that which would take longer to reach us for dinner.

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, as long as I get a Destroyer-class or a Cruiser-class warship, I'm happy.

Let's escort us some Colony ships through some Wormholes!

Explore! Expand! Reach out to the Xenos with the Hand of Friendship! And then burn them alive!
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

16. - Top - End - #76

I think we need some intellence, and more research. Knowledge is power, either way you get it.

17. - Top - End - #77

Sometimes power is power.

And sometimes organics is power organicsorganicsbugs
    bugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugsbugs
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-07-24 at 10:19 PM. Reason: this is now hopefully less traumatic to human minds

18. - Top - End - #78

Chapter 2: Exploration

Spoiler
    Show
    The success of the Genesis landing on New Akcius and the establishment of the colony sparked a widespread boost in colonist enrollment all across the Homeworld. CorpAll was doing well. It was a resource sink to be sure, but worth it. The colonists on both New Akcius and the less-historic (but no less important) colony of New Home would primarily be scientists, though. The landing of the second colony ship, the Pilgrim, allowed for the creation of the fourth off-world research center Akcians would ever build. Technological advances developed through joint efforts between scientists on the colonies and on the Homeworld would allow for massive improvements to the way Akcians would do things; perhaps, in the future, they'd be able to colonize other worlds in their home star system, even if the rumored Wormhole Expeditions proved to be a massive failure.

Life was good.

2400.5, Akcius Orbital Shipyards

"How long until they've got the satellites loaded?"

"Not much longer. A few more weeks, and you'll both be able to get underway."

Lady Verag and Captain Kelly both looked out the viewport at their twin ships. Both were of precisely the same build and design, and were being sent out together on the same expedition: First to inspect the wormhole in detail, and then, if deemed possible, pass through and discover whatever lie beyond. The second part was never confirmed to even be possible, but if it was, they'd get it done and be back home soon enough to report the results of their expedition. If all went well, then CorpAll would be able to construct and send out more colony ships to any particularly cold worlds beyond the wormhole. They'd be making history, just like the Genesis.

"The President personally signed off on your commissions, Captains. This is a nod of approval from the big guy himself. He wants you to go through. Not the least bit surprising he'd give the go-ahead personally. His re-election by the Board of Representatives hinges on this working out." The shipyard's manager eyed Lady Verag oddly as he spoke.

She was a rarity: One of the few descendants of the old nobility that had managed to hold onto something resembling a family fortune despite the pro-corporate revolts several hundred years back that led to the creation of the Corporate Alliance. She was technically an independent, someone who literally existed outside the corporate system. Most of her kind lived in ghettos because they refused to work within the system, and that meant she was someone CorpAll could risk disposing of safely if this whole thing went badly. She was being compensated by CorpAll for this, he knew. She was probably the first of her family who had to work for a living for the last few generations.

Captain Kelly, on the other hand, was a corporate captain, through and through, given her position by the CEO of Kallon Interstellar, one of the corporations responsible for a lot of the resources and materials that went into making the Genesis. Who better to send on an expedition than a representative of the company that made it possible? The shipyard manager could tell that the two would have some difficulty working together.

Thankfully, neither of their ships mounted any weapons.

2400.5, President's Office

"What have we here?" President Heldane looked closely at the datapad Shaz had just handed him before realizing it was the schematics for one of the cargo transport designs he'd wanted on his desk. "Shaz, what exactly am I looking at here?"

"I'm not seeing anything wrong with the design, sir."

"Really? Because I see something wrong."

"Sir, I don't-"

"Take a closer look, Shaz. Middle decks have nothing obviously wrong, right? Sensors, engines, crew quarters. Standard fare."

"OK..."

"Upper decks have cargo bays."

"Sir, it's a cargo ship. It'll have cargo bays."

"So what the hell is this crap?!"

"Mr. President, calm down!"

"Calm down?! Shaz, it's a gods-damned depleted uranium cannon! It's a railgun that fires radioactive rounds! The kind that can level entire cities with a few shots! You're honestly telling me we're mounting a weapon of mass destruction on a cargo ship and you want me to calm down?!"

"Sir, it's a meteor deflector.'"

That gave the President pause for just a moment. "What?! Whaaaaat?!"

Shaz winced for a moment as the President resumed yelling. "Well, that's what Kallon Interstellar advertised it as."

"Advertised?! You mean they want us to sell this to private buyers?!"

"Yes sir. Just as always."

"You- I- It- Railgun! Nuclear railgun!"

"They specifically sent along a memo saying they wanted it on the ship." Shaz was trying to remain calm in the face of the President's temper tantrum, and honestly, he wasn't having a hard time.

"Are they completely ****ing insane?!"

"Apparently! And they want it out of the shipyards by Fourth Month of next year."

A mobile WMD with cargo space for enough ammunition to wipe out the colonies and most of the homeworld twice over by 2401.4. The President sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I am going to regret this, but I'll allow it. Just...provide an additional layer of psychological screening for any captain who gets one of these. If they don't check out, they are to be forbidden from having one."

"Of course, Mr. President."

"What's the status of the satellites that are supposed to be loaded onto the Joyeuse and Sunstrider, and the additional orders of Riot Suppression Vehicles?" It would be easier to just call them 'tanks', but Defiance Industries insisted on calling them RSVs.

"Going well, Mr. President. We're on track for the construction of the first cargo ship. Kallon Interstellar wants you to personally christen it like you did the Genesis. I think it'd be a good PR stunt. If you go, what're you going to call it?"

The President groaned and rubbed his temples in frustration. A mobile WMD, and he'd be christening it. "Audacity.

2400.6, Nearer Wormhole Sector

"Sunstrider, Joyeuse, we are reading you as crossing into the Wormhole's sector. Advise approaching with caution. We have no idea what'll happen if you get too close. If it seems stable enough, go ahead through and try to hold it together out there."

"Affirmative, ground control. See you on the other side."

Communications with the Homeworld were expected to be cut off as soon as they passed through. If they lived, they'd be on their own for at least a full year, and possibly as many as two full years. They only had that much in the way of supplies onboard before they had to resort to eating their uniforms. If their engines survived the trip, they could map out the system, deploy multiple satellites, and be back on their way home. Assuming there'd be a way back.

As fate would have it, it was Lady Verag's ship, the Sunstrider, that would draw a bit too close to the Wormhole first. As soon as the vessel got close enough to the glowing blue anomaly, the ship continued to approach despite the crew cutting the engines. "Joyeuse, this is the Sunstrider! We are being pulled in! Repe-" Static swallowed the comm signal as the Sunstrider disappeared from sensors.

The Joyeuse followed not long afterwards. Silence reigned on all comm channels as the comm operator back on the Homeworld bit his lip. This was going to be hard to explain.

2400.6, Unknown Star System, Wormhole Sector

"Verag, what the hell happened?"

"We're not sure, Kelly. We're assuming some kind of gravitational anomaly pulled us through. What matter is, both of our ships are intact and fully operational. Sensors have stabilized, so we can see beyond our sector easily."

"Yeah...Am I reading this right? Two planets, both Ice worlds? Easily within a week's travel distance from the Wormhole."

"Colonizable. Drop a satellite. We've got some mapping to do. We've just hit the jackpot."

"Sunstrider takes one end of the system. We'll take the other."

"Understood."

The two ships immediately plotted courses leading in opposite directions. Their discoveries along the way were not to be scoffed at. Joyeuse and Sunstrider would go on to map out the entire system, sector by sector.

2400.7, Unknown Star System

"And you're sure?" Verag's skeptical look over the holographic feed wasn't the least bit surprising. It'd be like her to suspect Kelly was punching up her own importance. They'd already found two colonizable worlds upon arrival in the system, and Verag had only found one atmosphere-less moon with an icy environment that would serve as very little more than a starport for the system to process everything going in and out upon colonization.

"My sensor operators are both certain, Verag. We've found a methane-based atmosphere around an ice planet. Oddly close to the system's sun, and very low in potential mineral, farming, or radioactives value, but a methane-based atmosphere around an ice planet nonetheless. Open-air facilities. Massive industrial potential post-colonization. Easily the capital world of this star system if we take everything here for CorpAll."

Verag sighed at the mention of CorpAll, knowing she'd been beaten here. Kelly's name would inevitably be bigger in the history books for finding such a prize before her. "Alright. Mark it." Kelly beamed at her would-be rival before cutting the feed. "Mark the planet and move on. Drop a satellite here." She spoke to a nearby crewman, who simply nodded and went on about his business.

2400.8, Unknown Star System

"Hey, milady! I found another Wormhole, too! How 'bout you?"

"Bite me."

2401.1, Unknown Star System

"Before you even open your mouth, Kelly, I found another Wormhole too."

"Well, I mapped the sectors closest to the sun."

"Pardon me if I hate you. With all of my hate."

"Please do."

2401.2, Akcian Orbital Shipyards

"The Audacity is being loaded with forty platoons of RSVs. Twenty platoons to New Akcius, and twenty to New Home. Captain Artemis has reported that the ship's engine output will allow it to make it to both colonies and back to the shipyards within the month to await further orders." Shaz laid all of the reports out in front of President Heldane. Heldane nodded as he looked them over, before looking up at Shaz.

"Still no word from the expedition ships?" The President folded his hands in front of him and frowned, probably knowing the answer already.

"None, sir."

"As expected. I-" With a rather loud banging noise, a secretary burst into the President's office. "Mr. President! We've got both expedition ships on the comm! They're back, and they report mission success!"

The President and Shaz both broke into grins. "Well, speak of the archdevil himself! Get me both of the Captains on Line 3! I want to speak to them personally!"

2401.2, Akcian Homeworld System, Nearer Wormhole Sector

"Uh, Captain?"

"Lady."

"Right, Lady. Sorry. Lady Verag? The President wants you on the comm."

That got Verag's attention. "Well, put him on! Imbecile." The comm officer quietly rolled his eyes, and mouthed to the Seven Gods for an explanation as to why they made him put up with this. He handed the Lady his headset, and wheeled his chair away from his console to let her speak to the President. "Overbearing, self-righteous..." He muttered as he wheeled away.

"Captain Kelly, Lady Verag, congratulations on your successful return! When you didn't come right back through, we were all worried. Lots of theories have been circulating for the last six months. Tell me, what'd you find?"

Verag smirked quietly before speaking in her cultured, dignified manner. "Absolutely no intelligent life, four habitable worlds, and two more wormholes, Mr. President. And we think we've narrowed down how to get through the Wormholes with little fuss."

"Perfect! Truly, you two are godsends. Welcome home."

For the next three months, things proceeded at a bit of a quickened pace. Word of the success of the expedition spread like wildfire, and it wasn't long before minor corporations were pouring everything into launching their own colonies beyond the Nearer Wormhole. Stocks in just about every major corporation with assets tied down in the colonies soared.

And absolutely nothing could go wrong. The expedition parties said there wasn't any intelligent life.

2401.5, Unknown Star System, Beta Wormhole

Observer-Sat Alpha 7-1

Primary directive: Observe Wormhole in neighboring sector

Secondary directive: Observe all sectors within sensor range

Relinking to expeditionary satellite network

Uplink successful

FLASH TRAFFIC: Anomaly detected!

New broadcasting presence! New transponder presence! Identifying new vessel!

Location of new vessel: Beta Wormhole Sector.

Ship model unidentified. Life signs unidentified. Systems unidentified. Vessel matches no known CorpAll configurations. Broadcasting findings to expeditionary network.

Well, crap. Didn't expect that to happen.

Yeah, this was mainly consolidation of our current colonies and exploration of the star system we just entered. Didn't see that coming at all.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Ah, well, we had to meet the neighbors at some point. Given the ridiculously low chance that our comms systems are compatible, I recommend that first contact be made kinetically. I believe we have depleted uranium transmitters?

20. - Top - End - #80

Quote Originally Posted by Trekkin View Post
    Ah, well, we had to meet the neighbors at some point. Given the ridiculously low chance that our comms systems are compatible, I recommend that first contact be made kinetically. I believe we have depleted uranium transmitters?
    Actually, our comm systems are compatible.

For some inexplicable reason.

We'll come back to that, but basically, we have a few options for First Contact: Diplomacy, planetary assault, or xenocide. And we're not equipped for our first interstellar war, yet.
    Last edited by blackouttwo; 2011-07-24 at 11:33 AM.

Spoiler
    Show

Destro says:

Vespe says:

Destro says:
    You may NOT have a Titan

21. - Top - End - #81

Yes. Kinetically. By all means, let us fire blindly on a scout ship of a race that could very well be much more powerful than us and just as vindictive. What could possibly go wrong.

Send someone out to talk to them. Heck, send Verag out to talk to them - making first contact would look great on her record.
    ~ ClumsyMonkey, Montreal

22. - Top - End - #82

Very, very good stuff! Looking forward to the next update.

Didn't expect to run into another race this early in the game - At this point in time I would suggest opening diplomatic channels.

We're either going to end up with a close ally with which to explore the galaxy and have our backs in a time of need or a rather large speed-bump right out of the gate.

Either way, we now know we are no longer alone and I suggest we begin setting our empire onto a more militaristic footing just in case. I believe our only ship remotely capable of fending off an attack is currently a freighter?
    Last edited by psilontech; 2011-07-24 at 01:28 PM.
    Master of Orion II: Let's Play! Of Klackons and Gnolams

"Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

23. - Top - End - #83

What worthless lifeform is this? Is that a Cue Cappa* ship design? No. No, that is not a bug race.

They all die.

Symbiosis does not equal hivemind. And hivemind = worthy of life alongside us.

Capture the queen- boom, slave race.

What are the current income levels? I see the current raw minerals/organics/radioactives there in bank are maxed, but could you show us the numbers we have flowing in? And I'm assuming that all the monies are coming in from homeworld right now still? I recall how quickly my cash has run dry before during panicked military build-ups (weapons platforms can be expensive when you're building three trillion of them at the same time).

*How's that work in SEV? Do the ship setups you don't pick get randomly assigned to a randomly-generated computer race? Or are there still 'standard' AI races? I should really play this game to find out these sorts of things. But I digress- the look is still a take from that eye-stalk commonwealth. And therefore, the psychics die.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-07-24 at 01:55 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

"We should probably just surrender now. There's no way we can win a war and struggling just makes us bigger targets."

"Admiral, they don't seem threatening. It's a scout ship, like ours."

"Oh. Well I guess we might as well talk to them, but they'll probably hate us and want to blow us up and take our planet for resources. After we're all dead, they'll probably use the rest of us unlucky enough to survive the first round of bombings as slave labor."

"...This is Ensign Eufori, calling in for Admiral Melankoli. Mr. President, the Admiral advises diplomatic negotiations with the foreign ship."
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

Normally, I would advise for immediate extermination, but we are quite unprepared at the moment. Xenocide can wait. But not too long.
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

26. - Top - End - #86

Let's try talking it out first, then we bring them into the corporation. More workers, more profit.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Troll in the Playground

dun Dun DUN!

Looks like Captain Kelly has the explorer's gene.

As for that scoutship: "oh, crap". Captain Kelly (grudgingly) admits that attempting to communicate should be done first. But, if the ship can't be communicated with successfully (and, needless to say, if it proves to be hostile or presumably hostile), under no circumstances should it be allowed to pass back through the wormhole it came from! If it vanishes without a trace, they (whoever they are) might just write it off as having been lost to alien space bats; if it goes back and tells them where we are, well...

(Also, somebody should explain to the President what the 'depleted' part of 'depleted-uranium' means. )

Inner Circle
    Spoiler
    Show

Werewolf Games
    Spoiler
    Show
    Games Won: 5
    Ashna and Brendan dolls by Recaiden
    BR by Dr. Bath

BR's Bag o' Nuts · The Russkijs · Bushrangers explained
    Homebrew
    Condiments · Pianos · Tumbleweeds · Drow Bloodline · Half-Drow Noble · Lacy Items

28. - Top - End - #88

Quote Originally Posted by The Bushranger View Post
    (Also, somebody should explain to the President what the 'depleted' part of 'depleted-uranium' means. )
    Clearly. It obviously implies explosive rounds of tightly-packed organics bombs.

Spoiler
    Show
    organicsorganicsorganicsorganics
    organicsorganics

I wanted that to be in white text, but it stretched the screen, horribly so. And under no circumstances is it being reworked to fit it.

EDIT: It has since been reworked to fit it.
    Last edited by Cobalt; 2011-07-24 at 10:22 PM.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ogre in the Playground

Diplomacy first, but if that fails, I am ready to bomb the hell out of them.
    ~Amor Vincit Omnia~
    I have a Youtube Channel
    I write and draw occasionally: Have a look.

30. - Top - End - #90

WolfInSheepsClothing

Start with Diplomancy, we can commit xenocide later.
    Fallen London: http://fallenlondon.storynexus.com/Profile/Acliabides

Quote Originally Posted by Fibinachi View Post
    Raxtel would like to quick-draw his grapnel and line gun and try to reel in Sarge like some particularly authoritive fish before we lose him in the middle of the rebel infested, colder-than-space tundra.
    Only War Jungle of Sin: Darrien Holt