New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Magic is Might [3.5 LotR/Arda Sandbox]

Allistair, Calil, Sagardyn and Timerithon have each individually made their ways out into the world, and have stopped in the Forsaken Inn on the road into Bree for the night. Due to the annual festival in Bree itself the inn itself is packed, and you have all ended up sharing a table with your food and drink as there is no other room to sit in the main hall.
    Characters

Games
    Arda: OOC | IC
    Zombies: OOC | IC
    Islands: OOC | IC

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Magic is Might [3.5 LotR/Arda Sandbox]

A man wearing a well worn pair of breeches and a long coat approaches the table, talking to himself in half muttered tones, his relatively long ghost white hair contrasts with his otherwise very youthful appearance.
    Would you gentlemen mind if I join you it seems that…
    Before he can finish his sentence the man is bumped into by another patron and falls clumsily into his seat.
    Catching his breath he continues: Well it would seem that you don’t really have a choice. What brings you all to Bree on a night such as this?
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calil became wary after he saw the pale-haired fellow fall. He always encounter people like this in his journeys, and more often than not this kind of clumsiness is one of the biggest catalysts in tavern brawls. He carefully adjusted his seat to give way for the poor sap.

"As for me, I've been hearing some rumors", he paused to take a sip from his tankard before continuing, "that the ale here in Bree is of topnotch quality."

"And I've gotta say, even for my young age, that this is indeed the best ale yet! Although, not in the same level that the far reaches of Dorwinion produces their fine wine. Dorwinion's wine is still ages away in quality from any food or drink that my tongue has touched."
    Quote Originally Posted by MERC_1 View Post
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

A man completely covered in a black silk robe sits at the table. You can see him subtly shift around to avoid touching anyone else (as best he can). Glimpses of his skin reveal that it is very rough and almost red looking.

"As you pointed out, there really isn't much choice as for seating, so why waste our time asking if we mind? I mind being in this cramped place in the first place." You can almost hear a scowl in his voice.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

Marvel Super Heroes (Player): OOC IC Char
    The Frontier of Verazemya (Player): OOC IC Char
    Curse of Hel (Player): OOC IC Char
    Kobold Run (Player): OOC IC Char

5. - Top - End - #5

Friend, I ask to join because it would be rude to not.

I too have heard rumors, though not of the fineness of the ale. These rumors are of a more fiscal nature... I have heard tell of a great treasure, and I intend to determine if those rumors hold any weight.

I do however apologize for wasting your time and will now take my leave of you gentlemen.

With that the man makes a half hearted attempt to stand and walk away, only to be knocked over into his chair once more.

Or not...

Obviously not talking to anyone at the table,
    I most certainly will not... well of course I do... yea that one seams ok, but he is too engrossed in his drink... yea I do but... ok fine but the other one... yea that would be pretty funny...

Back to address the table.
    My name is Timerithon, and I am in need of sturdy companions to assist me if the rumors of the treasures that I seek are true. I seek but one item from the troves, the remainder shall be split among us equally, with some room for negotiation based upon need.
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never... Ouch, Hey oh nevermind...

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calil's eyes widened as he listened to Timerithon; not because of the promised treasures, but to the latter's straightforward plight to recruit companions. He inched closer to Timerithon and spoke to him in as most hushed voice as the noise in the background would allow.

"I like your idea, Timerithon, but for starters... giving away your name and your business to others might not be the brightest idea, if you know what i mean. Either that or you're confident of your abilities that you wouldn't mind if I, let alone any eavesdroppers, hire some mercenaries to spy on you, kill you and get the treasure for themselves. But then again, if you're already confident in your abilities then why recruit others who might just slow you down or even betray you? I'm just bewildered and confused, that's all."

He then got back to his seat, ordered another four mugs of ale, and spoke openly at the whole table. "Well, I don't think that's a bad idea at all! If you're heading westward I could join your company for some time until where the road parts our ways. Here, drink! And you too, the silent fellow and the hotblooded master. These 'uns are on me!"

He then proceeded handing over the mugs of ale to his table company.
    I find it very amusing that a very theoretical discussion of how to Optimize Bardic Music, turns into a discussion on how much worms you can eat in 7 minutes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

You can hear the man in the black robe snickering as Calil talks.

"Being back out on the road is better than being here." He shifts his position, appearing to look at Timerithon, "I think."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

8. - Top - End - #8

Please call me Tim. Discretion certainly has its place, however, I am inclined to trust this group here. Although I do not understand the reasons myself, although I suppose that is what I am out to figure out. I will that this to mean that we have at least a tentative agreement. I will explain more fully another time, but for not discretion will win out...

In a display wholly inconsistent with his earlier clumsiness, Tim takes up his tankard and motions it round his head slams it on the table and downs it in a single gulp.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Colossus in the Playground

Allistair had been sleeping until now, obviously his journey had been tiring.

Sorry, my journey here has been very tiring, I will agree to accompany you if afterwards you agree to help me locate a certain person.

Allistair leans his head closer and whispers secretly

This man I'm looking for would be a storehouse of knowledge the things he could do for us, would be beyond your wildest dreams, I just need to locate him. Do you people agree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Deme View Post
    One day, we must all have our characters butchered by romhacks face our ends.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calil took a sip from the mug, looked at the previously silent fellow, and then answered him.
    "As for that, master Sleepyhead, I've already told Tim here that I could accompany him as long as we're headed in the same direction. The same goes for you then, I guess."

Afterwards, Calil closed his eyes and started rubbing his chin. An instant later his eyes lit up, his mouth grinned widely ear-to-ear, and in his mind a brilliant solution materialized. He then commanded the attention of the three and spoke.

"Alternatively, since we all seem to be headed on our own different journeys yet are in need of companions, I have a proposal. The rest accompanies the person headed to the place closest here in Bree. After that, the next person going to the next closest one, up until the rest is done. After then, we can move about our different paths. Do you get what I'm saying young masters?"

He then looked at them one after another, hoping to illicit any sort of positive response. Just as then he suddenly remembered, "Oh, and I haven't introduce myself before. You can call me Calil."
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-07-25 at 06:48 PM. Reason: proofread crappy grammar

11. - Top - End - #11

Allistair smiles ruefully.

Well I don't exactly know where my person is, so I guess I'll come along with you three and look for information along the way.

Won as Good Mayans on a science victory GMR 4. Won as Sweden on a science victory GMR 7. Won as Desert England on a concession victory GMR 8 Lost as Poland in GMR 3. Lost as Japan in GMR 5, Surrendered as Korea in GMR 10. Surrendered as Bad Maya in GMR 11, Lost as Shoshone in GMR 13.

12. - Top - End - #12

Master Calil I do believe that we have an agreement...

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

Shifting his attention to the man that just woke up, the man in the black robe says, "I certainly hope you aren't always in such a tired state. As to Calil's suggestion, I have no comment beyond sticking with what I said before, which is that being out on the road is better than being in this place. How long that remains true will greatly depend on how interesting that journey is."

You see the man shift in place, "If we're going to do this, I suggest we get some sleep so we can head out early. I want out of this damned inn."
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Archwizard View Post
    Shifting his attention to the man that just woke up, the man in the black robe says, "I certainly hope you aren't always in such a tired state. As to Calil's suggestion, I have no comment beyond sticking with what I said before, which is that being out on the road is better than being in this place. How long that remains true will greatly depend on how interesting that journey is."

You see the man shift in place, "If we're going to do this, I suggest we get some sleep so we can head out early. I want out of this damned inn."
    Well how much is it for a room, if it's really expensive we may be better off finding a cheaper inn.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calil answered, "As far as my experiences are concerned, lodging fees for inns like this are rarely unaffordable; a few gold pieces is all it takes, really..."

He then turned to the rest of them, "I guess it's settled then; either Timerithon's destination or mine, whichever is the closest. I'll be taking my leave for now. Tomorrow at dawn, you can find me here taking my early meal. I still have a few mugs of ale left, just ask it from the tavern master."

With that said, he took his mug and drank the rest of the ale. He then took a silver piece from his pouch, tossed it towards the tavern master as a tip, and finally left the pub.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show

Of course, I'm assuming Calil already paid beforehand good enough for a dozen mug of ale.
    Last edited by ben-zayb; 2011-07-30 at 10:08 PM. Reason: silver -> gold, for RP-ing purposes

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRangerGuy

The man in black focuses on the one who had been sleeping, "Do I look like I run this place? You want to worry about the price, ask the person that does. I'll be back in the morning then."

With that, he abruptly stands up and heads for his room.

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    I, too, am assuming that lodging arrangements were made "off-screen" before we started.
    Let Belkar live!

Necro Tower (DM):
    Group 1 OOC Group 1 IC
    Group 2 OOC Group 2 IC
    Group 3 OOC Group 3 IC

17. - Top - End - #17

Allistair rolls his eyes.

Hey barkeep, how much for a room? He calls from where he's sitting.
    Last edited by Illven; 2011-07-27 at 12:54 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Timerithon nods good bye to the others as they depart to their accommodations, and departs the inn to the stables where he intends to bed down with Nott.

19. - Top - End - #19

The woman looks up from serving a couple of halflings to where the shouting was coming from, Room? You'll be lucky! I'll see what we've got spare in a bit but it won't be cheap, this close to the festival
    Characters

Games

20. - Top - End - #20

Allistair starts muttering

Of course, of course, this is a pain in the bum village, that can't even throw up a room for one such as me.
    Last edited by Illven; 2011-07-27 at 01:55 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

If you've got gold to show for it, we can fit you in. If not then you'll have to make do like everyone else
    Characters

Games

22. - Top - End - #22

How much is it for a room then?

23. - Top - End - #23

4 coins per night for one of the Kings Rooms, which is all we've got left this close to the festival... Come back after next week and you'll have your choice...

Spoiler
    Show
    That's 4gp per night
    Last edited by sazzer; 2011-07-30 at 12:06 PM.
    Characters

Games

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by sazzer View Post
    4 coins per night for one of the Kings Rooms, which is all we've got left this close to the festival... Come back after next week and you'll have your choice...

Spoiler
    Show
    That's 4gp per night
    Okay fine. Allistair puts 4 gold coins into the lady's hand, and walks up to his room.

25. - Top - End - #25

Upstairs layout:
    As you go up the stairs, there is a corridor stretching out in front of you. On the right hand side after a short stretch the cheap Barony Rooms start, with three rooms each having four double bunk beds in them and nothing else. Past this on the right hand side is one of the private Kings Rooms, and on the left hand side are another three of the private rooms. At the end of the corridor is a split, with an even larger private room that is locked, with the corridor going around it on both sides, leading to windows on the left and doubling back on the right along the balcony looking over the courtyard and eventually leading to yet another locked private room at the end.

@People in the Kings Rooms
    Spoiler
    Show
    In the room you find a decent sized bed, a writing desk underneath the window looking out over the road, a wardrobe against one wall, and an unlocked chest at the foot of the bed. There is also a bath tub in the corner of the room should you wish to bathe, with a message attached that advanced notice must be given if you wish to use the bath tub so that hot water can be provided. These rooms have locks, and you will have been given a key when you paid for the night.

@Timerithon / Anyone else who would have visited the stables:
    The stables have 6 stalls in them, each of which has space and fittings to house three riding horses. The stalls are about half full, with enough space for your horses to be housed for the night. Above the stalls is the hayloft, which looks like the stablehands often sleep in there instead of having their own accomodation, and you notice a light coming from above and the noises of two or three people talking and laughing with each other. There are also two slightly smaller stalls that have locked gates and fittings for one horse in each, both of which are currently empty. The ground is covered in dirt and hay, and is uncomfortable but you can bed down in a corner if you don't mind the smell or noise, or the odd stone poking in your back, or you could sleep in the stalls themselves with the horses in the considerably dirtier but softer straw and hay that covers the floor there.
    Characters

Games

26. - Top - End - #26

Allistair goes back down to the bar and asks the lady behind the bar

Excuse me miss, may I have hot water?

Unless you'd rather skip over this part

27. - Top - End - #27

Tonight? Or for the morning? If you want it tonight it'll be an hours wait I'm afraid till one of the lads can get it up to you
    Characters

Games

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by sazzer View Post
    Tonight? Or for the morning? If you want it tonight it'll be an hours wait I'm afraid till one of the lads can get it up to you
    Can it be tonight? It helps me get to sleep.

29. - Top - End - #29

You'll have to wait as I say, but yes I'll get someone to bring some up for you
    Characters

Games

30. - Top - End - #30

Okay thank you Madame.

Allistair walks slowly up to his room.