New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Origins of "vorpal"?

So as far as I can tell, it was first mentioned in Alice in Wonderland as the vorpal sword that defeated the jabberwocky (cut off its head).

Are there any earlier uses?
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Origins of "vorpal"?

Nope. It was made up by the writer of Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll).

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Okizruin View Post
    Nope. It was made up by the writer of Alice in Wonderland (Lewis Carroll).
    Wow, that's what I just said...
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

As far as I know, you are both correct. Lewis Carroll made up most of the words in the "Jabberwocky" poem.
    Epic avatar by: Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm pretty sure Jabberwocky was in Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There, not Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Wikipedia backs this up. But regardless, that was where the word was coined; the poem is made up mostly of what were then nonsense words, and "vorpal" was among them.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Wow, that's what I just said...
    Yup, that's how agreement works.
    The following errors occurred with your search:

1. This forum requires that you wait 300 seconds between searches. Please try again in 306 seconds.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NecroRebel View Post
    I'm pretty sure Jabberwocky was in Through the Looking Glass, and What Alice Found There, not Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. Wikipedia backs this up. But regardless, that was where the word was coined; the poem is made up mostly of what were then nonsense words, and "vorpal" was among them.
    Yes. You're right.

I'm not sure how anyone who's read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland could think Jabberwocky was in it...
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Yes. You're right.

I'm not sure how anyone who's read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland could think Jabberwocky was in it...
    I haven't read either. The premises have always sounded far too nonsensical to me.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

So, to reiterate, the word "vorpal" originated from Lewis Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky", found in "Through the Looking Glass".

10. - Top - End - #10

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    So, to reiterate, the word "vorpal" originated from Lewis Carroll's poem "Jabberwocky", found in "Through the Looking Glass".
    I always heard Lewis Carroll made it up in the Jabberwocky poem.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    I haven't read either. The premises have always sounded far too nonsensical to me.
    They are TOTALLY nonsensical. Wonderland & its sequel run on a combination of dream-logic and deliberate misinterpretations of figures of speech, logic, and math. It's like a Victorian XKCD.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    They are TOTALLY nonsensical. Wonderland & its sequel run on a combination of dream-logic and deliberate misinterpretations of figures of speech, logic, and math. It's like a Victorian XKCD.
    Oh goodie, I always wondered if I was missing out on something. I'm quite glad to realise I'm not. If I can't get anything useful out of it, reading it will be a waste of my time.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

The Vorpal Blade is the Conyers falchion, dating to the 12th century. Lewis Carroll saw this weapon at the ordination of a bishop in his childhood, and coined the term Vorpal in his book based on this weapon.
    Last edited by Gavinfoxx; 2011-07-23 at 04:43 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    I've heard it was brillig, and there were some slithy toves in the wabe.
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

"I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    I've heard it was brillig, and there were some slithy toves in the wabe.
    Everyone knows that those slithy toves did gyre and gimble like in the wabe like mad. Couldn't get enough of gyring and gimbling, really. Kinda sad. They never saw the jubjub birds coming, and after that they just didn't have a chance against the frumious bandersnatch. Glad my beamish boy didn't turn out like that.

For reference, the poem Jabberwocky was first featured in Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There. I believe a number of words first used in the poem are now in common use in the English lexicon, but I'm not certain of that.

And you are missing out, Shadowknight. The books are fascinating explorations of the nature of childhood and adulthood, arguably feature a lot of very sharp social critique, and may even have some Zen philosophy mixed in.
    Last edited by gkathellar; 2011-07-23 at 05:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KKL
    D&D is its own momentum and does its own fantasy. It emulates itself in an incestuous mess.

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGirl

Oh goodie, I always wondered if I was missing out on something. I'm quite glad to realise I'm not. If I can't get anything useful out of it, reading it will be a waste of my time.
    Arguably, it is required reading to get the most out of Douglas Hofstadter's "Gödel-Escher-Bach", though. Which will be useful if you are particularly interested in artificial intelligence, number theory or computing theory, but otherwise more fun than useful...

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SilverClawShift View Post
    Are you implying that the word was first used by Lewis Carroll in the Jabberwocky poem? Because I think you might be onto something here.

but otherwise more fun than useful...
    You could say that about most fiction, couldn't you?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

That's rather.... interesting view, I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by "getting anything useful".

I can't get anything useful out of Monty Python, maybe save the fact that one can quite nicely replicate the sound of hooves with a coconut. But I, by no way drunk or sober, would dare to care it "waste of my time".

Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    The Vorpal Blade is the Conyers falchion, dating to the 12th century. Lewis Carroll saw this weapon at the ordination of a bishop in his childhood, and coined the term Vorpal in his book based on this weapon.
    That's funny story, I've seen the weapon few times, and haven't herd about it.

Anyway, it seems that the weapon is 13th century, it generally looks like that, and if anyone was to slay a dragon, it would certainly be a solid choice.
    The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing;
    Rush in and die, dogs—I was a man before I was a king.

Whoever makes shoddy beer, shall be thrown into manure - town law from Gdańsk, XIth century.

19. - Top - End - #19

Quote Originally Posted by Steward View Post
    Are you implying that the word was first used by Lewis Carroll in the Jabberwocky poem? Because I think you might be onto something here.
    Hey hey, I'm not trying to jump to conclusions. But I do believe the word vorpal came from the Jabberwocky poem (the one written by Lewis Carroll). See, lewis Carroll wrote this poem? About the Jabberwocky? And he used the word 'vorpal' in it. I think that's where the word came from.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

{{scrubbed}}
    Last edited by LibraryOgre; 2011-07-25 at 03:17 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

You must not read novels. Terrible shame really.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.
    Me: Yeah, a knight in shining armour might just bring her over the edge.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

You people are all wrong, and should really check your facts before posting. It's inarguable that the word 'Vorpal' was first put to paper by Lewis Caroll in the Jabberwocky poem from Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    You people are all wrong, and should really check your facts before posting. It's inarguable that the word 'Vorpal' was first put to paper by Lewis Caroll in the Jabberwocky poem from Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There.
    Correction: it actually made its first appearance it Lewis Carrol's Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Prior to reading this thread, I thought it was first inked in the Jabberwocky poem in Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There, by Lewis Caroll. It's nice to finally hear where it came from, though!
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #25
    Halfling in the Playground

i realize that this is slightly off topic, but does anyone else think that whoever did the new Alice movie, did an excellent job in blending the jabberwocky in?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Analysis View Post
    Arguably, it is required reading to get the most out of Douglas Hofstadter's "Gödel-Escher-Bach", though. Which will be useful if you are particularly interested in artificial intelligence, number theory or computing theory, but otherwise more fun than useful...
    No, I don't foresee having to venture into those fields. But thanks for letting me know that, I'll keep it in mind if I ever do.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiryt View Post
    That's rather.... interesting view, I guess it depends on what exactly you mean by "getting anything useful".

I can't get anything useful out of Monty Python, maybe save the fact that one can quite nicely replicate the sound of hooves with a coconut. But I, by no way drunk or sober, would dare to care it "waste of my time".
    My definition of useful is quite broad, but it unfortunately precludes things that are nonsensical.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukitsu View Post
    You must not read novels. Terrible shame really.
    On the contrary, comprehensible and sensical novels are a great source of new ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    {Scrub the post, scrub the quote}
    Because I'm curious about the origin of the word "vorpal," of course.
    Last edited by averagejoe; 2011-08-18 at 12:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Through the looking glass is comprehensible and sensible. At the very least, it is very easy to relate to, and there is nothing in the flow of the events that should be considered confusing. The only potentially incomprehensible aspects of the stories are the characters, who are themselves variably insane, however, characters being incomprehensible is not something that should tarnish the story.
    Me: I'd get the paladin to help, but we might end up with a kid that believes in fairy tales.
    DM: aye, and it's not like she's been saved by a mysterious little girl and a band of real live puppets from a bad man and worse step-sister to go live with the faries in the happy land.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

...out of curiosity, why do you define as "useful?"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    ...out of curiosity, why do you define as "useful?"
    99% of the time, it means "If I enjoyed it, I got a use out of it" rather than any indication of higher learning. Which is fine, but saying "I didn't enjoy it because I didn't enjoy it" always irritates me as a criticism.

30. - Top - End - #30

The poem itself is a critique on the rules for writing. I don't remember if it was about only relying on the rules or about there not being enough rules, but he was trying to show that you could make a completly nonsensical poem without breaking any of the rules of writing.
    See when a tree falls in the forest, and there's no one there to hear it, you can bet we've bought the vinyl.
    -Snow White