Karath|Storm Wizard|Human|NG|Karath

Orphias Lamiune|Synthesist Summoner|Human|CN|Subcomarc

Orphias + Etok|Synthesist Summoner|Human|CN|Subcomarc

[/table]

A note on post formatting before we get started:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Character Name (bolded)

“Character speech should be in a colour, unbolded (unless you’re shouting or some similar action that is loud), and in quotation marks.” Actions are written in black. Thoughts are in your speech colour, and italicized.

Spoiler
    Show
    In combat, actions go in spoilers. Additionally, please keep track of your HP in a spoiler during every round of combat.

I'll post more information about how you do PbP, but for now, I need you each to pick a color that will be used for your character only

Also, I'd like your first posts (not necessarily the first one) to describe your characters a bit. Try to depict how your character looks and acts in a perspicuous manner, so we can get a bit more in the RP mentality

Also, for your edification, you can practice rolling in the "dice roller" thread in this website
    Dice Roller

XP:10000/15000
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2013-08-27 at 08:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: INTO THE DEPTHS (OoC)

Reserved for more information, NPCs, and home-rules if there are any

Quests:
    Spoiler
    Show

-Inspect the mines
    Reward: 100gp
    Quest Giver: Aaron Jarmil

-Clearing the mines of any threats
    Reward: 4500gp (includes exploration)
    Quest Giver: Aaron Jarmil

-Obtaining a sample of the Poison used on the Miners
    Reward: ????
    Quest Giver: Liapha Cilaren

-Prevent the resurrection of an ancient evil that lies deep in the caves
    Reward: ????
    Quest Giver: Erif Egnaro

Finding more about what happened in the underground caves and the mysterious gems that were depicted in the bass-reliefs

-Finding about the Spark and the apparition of the Fire Elemental
    Reward:???
    Quest Giver:???

NPC Tracker
    {table=head]Name|Occupation|Status
    Joseph Liand|Miner|Alive, mentally ustable
    Arnias Boulderocker|Innkeeper|Alive, friendly
    Estang Hineworis|Mayor|Alive, neutral/unfriendly
    Aaron Jarmil|Guildmaster|Alive, neutral/unfriendly
    Snek Vagusa|Acolyte of Erastil|Alive, unfriendly/intimidated
    Father Maedor|Prelate of Erastil|Alive, unknown
    Liapha Cilaren|Alchemist, Witch|Alive, neutral/unfriendly
    Albios Cilaren|Blacksmith, Fighter|Alive, neutral
    Erif Egnaro|??? (Mysterious talking statue)|???

[/table]

Houserules/Precedents/Criterion

On posting for combat
    Spoiler
    Show
    Post your actions within 24 hours of my last post or I might bot you (this does not apply to weekend)
    Unless I tell you the enemy is dead, please assume that it is still alive and post your action within the 24hr limit. I will err on your favor and not make you waste spells unless you have to, but please let's avoid asking "is it dead yet" after every single attack.

It will slow us down too much

On Rolls
    Spoiler
    Show
    DM makes secret rolls on everything he considers classified fromplayers

Players will make rolls in spoilers and it will be up to the players to look at the results or not

On Spoilers
    Spoiler
    Show
    You can read them insofar as OoC knowledge will not affect IC behavior. If I have to say something private/that would be too hard to dissociate, I'll sent private messages with the information

So, yes, you can read them.

When a roll is made out of order
    Spoiler
    Show
    A few options, left to the DM's criteria
    Spoiler
    Show
    1. It is forgotten/deleted
    2. It is kept till whenever that specific roll applies
    3. I reroll in secret and keep that result for future use
    4. It is forgotten if there are no consequences for the roll/it is clearly out of place. It is kept if there are consequences/if the roll is slightly out of place (like now, where a plan was hatched in which you had decided to bluff, so a bluff roll would be neccesary)

On editing posts after you've rolled/seen the result
    Spoiler
    Show
    YES
    Adding more description to your actions, for example saying how you see a small crevice (that would be unnoticed to most people) in the wall that you can use for your climbing. Or how you though that swimming in armor could be dangerous, but you choose to ignore it, even as you realize that you should not have

NO
    Adding actions that have consequences
    If you ask for a certain price or discount and you roll high on your Diplomacy, you cannot edit for a price that would benefit you more (on the other hand, if you leave it open ended, I decide on that discount/extra reward, but it might not be exactly what you wanted)
    If you roll poor on a spellcraft, you cannot edit saying that "that spellcraft was to see if I can learn the spell/was to see if there were OTHER spells active/etc. Now the REAL spellcraft check is...."

On Social Skill checks
    Spoiler
    Show
    Gather information es cuanta informacion podes acumular en una noche/dia. Based on the DC, les doy resultados y contesto preguntas que no sean classified (es decir, de mayor DC del que sacaron)

Diplomacy/Intimidate para interaccion social pueden ser 2 cosas
    (a) Como le caes a una persona
    Most NPCs start neutral/neutral-friendly. Si queres que alguien se haga amigo tuyo, tiras un diplomacy para ver si podes mejorar tu standing con el. Esto no se repite a cada tirada, sino que es algo que solo se puede hacer una vez al dia/semana/interaccion con suficiente tiempo para que la otra persona se haya estabilizado en su nueva relacion con el PC

(b) Pedir un favor/obtener un resultado/dar una orden a la persona

Esto es un roll by roll basis. (numeros inventados para ilustrar el ejemplo)

Pasame la coca: DC 5
    Anda a la esquina y compra una coca, aca tenes la plata: DC 10
    Che, anda a la esquina y compranos una coca con tu plata: DC 13
    Anda al otro lado del pueblo, compranos una coca con tu plata: DC 15
    Anda a otra ciudad y traeme una masterwork crafted coca en lata de adamantio con incrustaciones de esmeraldas. Traemela en 10 minutos y, por supuesto, pagas todo vos. DC 30

Example
    Jugador: PC asks NPC "Anda a la esquina y compra una coca, aca tenes la plata"
    DM: Roll Diplomacy
    Player: I rolled a 30!!!
    PC says to NPC "Sabes que? Anda a otra ciudad y traeme una masterwork crafted coca en lata de adamantio con incrustaciones de esmeraldas. Traemela en 10 minutos y, por supuesto, pagas todo vos"
    DM: Roll ANOTHER Diplomacy

On Translating Languages
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'm okay with you not having all your languages selected, but I will not allow for changes while the interaction happens

I'll assume that post-translations are automatic unless the information discussed is sensitive (but that'd probably be handled more through private messages)

On Godmodding
    Spoiler
    Show
    General practice decrees “god mod bad.” Here I hope to explain times when I feel god modding is okay. If anyone disagrees with these standards let me know.

PC god mod another PC
    Spoiler
    Show

The only time this is okay is when the action is completely innocuous. For example:
    Spoiler
    Show

After reaching in to his pack, Evin removes the heavy iridescent gem and says, “here Vanalya, hold on to this for me.”

The oracle accepts the stone. Evin then proceeds to climb the tree.

Here, Evin godmodded Vanalya to do something innocuous, namely hold a mundane object. This is fine because it doesn't matter and it is better than the alternative, i.e. in the post Evin holds out the stone for Vanalya to take it. Everyone waits until the post of, “Vanalya takes the stone without comment.” appears and then Evin's next action is posted. Still, it is better to avoid doing even such innocuous things if you can.

God modding should NEVER be used to have another PC say something or to ascribe any emotion whatsoever to another PC. Basically only pointless, robotic actions in service to the speed of posting. Also, the modded PC should never be made to do anything that is remotely dangerous. In the example above, if Evin asks Vanalya to hold to the Magical Stone of Erratic Catastrophic Explosions, or even unknown purpose magical stone, that would not be okay.

PC god mod NPC
    Spoiler
    Show

Here, there is a bit more freedom. Basically, you should never have an NPC say anything that I would potentially have to undo. The NPC would never commit to any terms or say anything that would influence you or another PC. However, for instance, after you've agreed to the merchant last proposed price (that I made), then you are free to god mod the remainder of the transaction.

DM mod PC
    Spoiler
    Show

I will do this occassionally under the following circumstances:
    • To provide emotions or action you do not control or entirely control (for instance fear effects or actions under confusion)
    • To provide information that you don't know your character would know (I'll also often do this over PM)
    • To progress the narrative (for instance having your character enter a room they were invited into rather than wait for everyone to post “I enter the room” – naturally, anytime this happens, your character will be safe)
    • More importantly, for actions in combat (and possibly elsewhere), I will force your character to take an action (or possibly to take no action) if everyone else has acted and we are waiting on you for a bit. I hope this will never come up, but to be realistic, it probably will.
    • Some instance I'm probably forgetting...

Last edited by Drothmal; 2012-01-20 at 06:07 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Drothmal View Post
    Here's the Ooc, I'll keep track of XP, quests and other things here

I'll post more information about how you do PbP, but for now, I need you each to pick a color that will be used for your character only

I would like to choose this color for my character
    kthxbye

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I´ll take this one. So glad we are starting!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

On the dice roller:

It stops working if you have done a "preview post" of what you're writing

You cannot fix it or add a roll as an edit if there is a previous roll in the post (they do this to prevent cheating)

You can practice rolling in the "dice roller" thread in this website
    Dice Roller

Usually, when something like what happened to you in the IC happens, you just roll again in the OoC and edit the result in the IC with a note saying "(see OoC thread)"

On the colors:

I think those 2 reds are different enough, but I'll let you know if it starts getting confusing
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-09 at 10:19 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Ill Choose the magenta color...
    like this

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

OK, you all have your colors. Well done!

I've updated the first post with your character sheets. Right now I'm waiting for 2 things:

1) Hernan to reroll his Diplomacy check. If he doesn't in the next 5 hours, I'll go ahead and roll for him instead to keep the game moving.

2) Maraxus to reply to Karath This just happened. I'll try posting for the 2 of you as you make your way through the town in a bit

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Rerolling!

Diplomacy - (1d20+8)[24]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Sweet, good roll! My internet is working slow right now, so I can only post small updates. I'm preparing a big one to post once the connection stabilizes. Look forwards to it!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

This is something I copied from a guy I play with that has a very good philosophy on goddmoding. I wanted to also add this so you guys have a better idea of how to play PbP

Godmodding

General practice decrees “god mod bad.” Here I hope to explain times when I feel god modding is okay. If anyone disagrees with these standards let me know.

PC god mod another PC
    Spoiler
    Show

The only time this is okay is when the action is completely innocuous. For example:
    Spoiler
    Show

After reaching in to his pack, Evin removes the heavy iridescent gem and says, “here Vanalya, hold on to this for me.”

The oracle accepts the stone. Evin then proceeds to climb the tree.

Here, Evin godmodded Vanalya to do something innocuous, namely hold a mundane object. This is fine because it doesn't matter and it is better than the alternative, i.e. in the post Evin holds out the stone for Vanalya to take it. Everyone waits until the post of, “Vanalya takes the stone without comment.” appears and then Evin's next action is posted. Still, it is better to avoid doing even such innocuous things if you can.

God modding should NEVER be used to have another PC say something or to ascribe any emotion whatsoever to another PC. Basically only pointless, robotic actions in service to the speed of posting. Also, the modded PC should never be made to do anything that is remotely dangerous. In the example above, if Evin asks Vanalya to hold to the Magical Stone of Erratic Catastrophic Explosions, or even unknown purpose magical stone, that would not be okay.

PC god mod NPC
    Spoiler
    Show

Here, there is a bit more freedom. Basically, you should never have an NPC say anything that I would potentially have to undo. The NPC would never commit to any terms or say anything that would influence you or another PC. However, for instance, after you've agreed to the merchant last proposed price (that I made), then you are free to god mod the remainder of the transaction.

DM mod PC
    Spoiler
    Show

I will do this occassionally under the following circumstances:
    • To provide emotions or action you do not control or entirely control (for instance fear effects or actions under confusion)
    • To provide information that you don't know your character would know (I'll also often do this over PM)
    • To progress the narrative (for instance having your character enter a room they were invited into rather than wait for everyone to post “I enter the room” – naturally, anytime this happens, your character will be safe)
    • More importantly, for actions in combat (and possibly elsewhere), I will force your character to take an action (or possibly to take no action) if everyone else has acted and we are waiting on you for a bit. I hope this will never come up, but to be realistic, it probably will.
    • Some instance I'm probably forgetting...

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Trying to post map of town

Spoiler
    Show

EDIT: Booya!
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-09 at 04:51 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

I am ok with the modding rules. I guess we all are.
    one more thing.... i am currently on vacation, for the next week... just to remind you that my posting rate will be slow for this time being.... feel free to use my character when i dont respond... sometimes i just might be far from any connection for hours or days... sorry for the inconvinience for the time being

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Yeah, I knew about it. Don't worry and enjoy your vacation!

Remember! We are this for the long haul, no need to overexert yourselves: If you can't post, you can't post!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

You do not need / cannot reroll diplomacy during the same interaction. I'll keep using the previous result for this interaction (and will keep the same policy in the future). In this case, it won't make too much difference.

I'll post a reply soon

EDIT: Pay the informant
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-10 at 04:26 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Testing dice rolls...

[roll=attack](1d20+5)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

you are missing the (/roll) with [] instead of () at the end of the command

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

(1d10) [/roll]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

you need both what you had on front on the first try and what you added on the back on the second try.

That is : (roll=Attack)1d20+4(/roll), replace () with []

It takes a bit to get used to, but then it becomes easy to manage

I'll have an update soon! Massive update!!!
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-11 at 05:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Hey guys, just testing how to roll dice for updating my previous post

testing - (1d20+4)[24]

Thanks!

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

did I really just get a nat 20 and not use it on my main post? crap.

Test2
    [roll=testingagain]1d20+4[/roll]
    Last edited by Karath; 2011-08-12 at 02:14 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

ok, just for warning
    1. you need to wait 60seconds in between posts
    2. if you post a roll and something doesn't work, your "roll text" gets replaced with a blank command, something like roll 0
    3. just that
    4. testing again

[roll=testingthird]1d20+4[/roll]

oh and I don't think you can add a roll with an edit... at least it's not working for me.
    [roll=testing]1d20+4[/roll]

* post roll count doesn't match database
    Last edited by Karath; 2011-08-12 at 02:19 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Wow. I just totally won that diplomacy check... what are the chances of getting a natural 1 on the first roll? Oh 5%? Nevermind then.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Leko: No spaces in between the rolls. But you're almost there.

Considering the circumstances, if the bluff is high enough, I'll average out the diplomacy checks

I'll have an update later today!

EDIT: Bien Alejo! That's perfect. I'll answer appropriately later

And I'd like to take this opportunity to repeat something I said on the recruitment thread. Natural 20 counts as a result of 30 in the roll. Natural 1 counts as a -9 (that is +10 and -10) for beating DCs. I've found this system to work out very nicely, since it actually gives me a framework of what a crit roll can do, and it is possible to overcome a natural 1, given enough modifiers
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-12 at 04:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Manu!!! We are totally flunking our rolls! We totally suck!!!!!

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Haha, don't worry. It happens. And you have the advantage that they need to too much to let you walk away. But they won't be giving you a lot of information.

Now those 50gp spent with the inkeeper will really pay off

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

I´m really happy that we chose to look for info simultaneously, it totally prevents **** from hitting the fan. I´m telling you, dividing the party has never been this easy and entertaining before. I´m already a fan of PbP

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by yosoyleko View Post
    Manu!!! We are totally flunking our rolls! We totally suck!!!!!
    What do you mean "we"??? I'm single handedly defeating our party :P

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Aguante Manuelus, un tropezón no es caída! Lo mejor: si esto hubiera pasado en una partida presencial, estaríamos tirados en el piso muertos de risa sin poder creerlo...

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

RogueGuy

Eh! Yo me estoy cagando de risa tirado en el suelo!!!! Solo que no me veis!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

A bit more on the Erastil/Abadar (I got the name wrong, I'll fix that now) relationship

Abadar strives to maintain agreeable relationships with the other deities, recognizing their influence is conducive to the further advancement of civilized life. In particular he cultivates strong alliances with Iomedae, Irori, Shelyn, Asmodeus, and Erastil, though differences in opinion often result in conflicts between Abadar and Old Deadeye.

Erastil: LG
    Abadar: LN

Both strive for expanding civilization and order over the wilderness, but the way I see it, one does it because it is "good/right" while the other because it is "efficient/brings order". Erastil's priests are a bit on the socialist side (healing on a need basis), while the Abadar priests are more capitalists (healing on a free market basis)

EDIT: Updated NPC table
    EDIT 2: +200 XP for RPing/obtaining quests (roleplaying)
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-08-15 at 12:50 PM.