New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default When you think of Bards, what songs or kind of music comes to mind?

So I was writing a reply up to one of the most recent incarnations of the super mount thread, wherein I detailed some of the advantages of getting some bard in there, and then a certain song started playing, and I was like, heh, yeah, Bards.

Spoiler
    Show
    This one, in case you were wondering.

Spoiler
    Show
    Took me forever to get the sexual connotation of the song though, haha.

I was a silly child, you see.

Then I was like, huh, I wonder what other people associate with Bards... or that reminds them of Bards, as in my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Re: When you think of Bards, what songs or kind of music comes to mind?

Bards' music? I've always associate it to be a traveling tune, storytelling type of melody... kind of what is found in Disney's Robin Hood (2 links), to be honest. Could just be the kid in me though.
    Last edited by Crossblade; 2011-08-10 at 01:07 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Hmm it depends.. a normal Bard and something along the lines of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYFqvAmPG-M
    Dire singer would be more powermetal along the lines of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzaFyUZz1yk okay it obviously works for a normal bard too, but meh. :p

4. - Top - End - #4

Dealing with massive extended family DRAMAAAAA, posting slow to nonexistent until issues resolved.

Avatar by the wonderful Ceika. Many praises be unto she.

Live your life without regrets.

5. - Top - End - #5

ElfRogueGirl

Oh I almost forgot, this! http://kitsmusic.bandcamp.com/album/...ancer-unstrung defently bard'ish music to me.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

The only bard I have ever wanted to play

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

My favorite bard song is The Bard's Song.
    If you like what I have to say, please check out my GMing Blog where I discuss writing and roleplaying in greater depth.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Can't view the link right now. Blind Guardian? If not: My first association is Blind Guardian's :P
    Also, the Ragnarok Online bards.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SPoD View Post
    I can't think of anything more thrilling to read than the blow-by-blow specifics of a battle between an ancient black dragon and an apprentice baker.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Personally, this is the only music I listen to that I normally imagine as Bardic Music. It's actually the inspiration for my Singing Blade class.
    Last edited by PersonMan; 2011-08-10 at 01:39 PM.
    Not Person_Man, don't thank me for things he did.

Old-to-New table converter. Also not made by me.

11. - Top - End - #11

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    Can't view the link right now. Blind Guardian? If not: My first association is Blind Guardian's :P
    Also, the Ragnarok Online bards.
    I Love you for bringing up RO's bards. One of the few games I know where bards are serious business and painful to mess with. >.<

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    I Love you for bringing up RO's bards. One of the few games I know where bards are serious business and painful to mess with. >.<
    I'v erecently learned that iRO is now free to play. I started playing a mage, got bored and dropped the game.
    Then I created my bard for an upcoming Pathfinder campaign. When its start was delayed again and again I was anxious to play a bard of some sort.

I started a new RO char again and now I have a level 99 Bard =)

13. - Top - End - #13

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zejety View Post
    I'v erecently learned that iRO is now free to play. I started playing a mage, got bored and dropped the game.
    Then I created my bard for an upcoming Pathfinder campaign. When its start was delayed again and again I was anxious to play a bard of some sort.

I started a new RO char again and now I have a level 99 Bard =)
    Yhea I got an email about it a while ago, but to be honest I don't have the time to sink into RO that's needed to get anywhere sensible, or hunt for the gear a crit build assassin needs. Besides, I get my RO fix through D&D, we've adapted it to work with 3.5 rules, much more fun. XD (Okay so WoE is seriously fun but yhea, time.)

And still I find bards in RO painful. A lvl 99 Lord Knight? Not an issue. A bard? Yep now I'm running.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by valadil View Post
    Anything by Blind Guardian will do, though Lion's Heart and Skalds and Shadows are very Inspire Courage as well.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

15. - Top - End - #15

i played a savage bard with a +2 spell flaming warhammer so this

my healer hated me

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I picture my bards... pretty much as Loreena McKennitt.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

I'm of the belief that, thanks to access to low-level magic spells, music not unlike Rock n' Roll (in all its flavors) is quite common in your typical D&D world.

So I always imagine bards rockin' out to music not unlike Elton John, Journey, Queen, Andrew WK, Ledd Zeppelin, the Eagles, Metallica, and most importantly, Slade
    Last edited by Rogue Shadows; 2011-08-12 at 12:58 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18

ElfRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Shadows View Post
    I'm of the belief that, thanks to access to low-level magic spells, music not unlike Rock n' Roll (in all its flavors) is quite common in your typical D&D world.

So I always imagine bards rockin' out to music not unlike Elton John, Journey, Queen, Andrew WK, Ledd Zeppelin, the Eagles, Metallica, and most importantly, Slade
    I've always had the same opinion really. Just the themes/lyrics of the songs would be somewhat different, but the basic sound would be pretty much the same.

On that note someone totally needs to make a bard in a pirate based setting playing Alestorm type music. :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

DragonForce.

That is all.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Funny, when I clicked on this thread, Manowar - Warriors of the World was playing. It has kinda a steady, driving kickdrum/snare alternating beat, like many armored feet marching to battle.

Brothers everywhere, raise your hands into the air
    We're warriors, warriors of the world
    Like thunder from the sky, sworn to fight and die
    We're warriors, warriors of the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vQg7TYuq2g&NR=1
    It just sounds very suspenseful, like combat is about to start.

Ha! Rickroll'd!!!
    Last edited by lerg2; 2011-08-12 at 10:50 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22

PirateCaptain

Bravely bold Sir Robin, rode forth from Camelot,
    He was not afraid to die, O' brave Sir Robin.
    He was not at all afraid, to be killed in nasty ways,
    Brave, brave, brave, brave, Sir Robin...

I have a deal with our usual bard-type. Whenever something bad's aboit to show up, I have him play this song. (With multi-headed creatures or dragons he plays the whole thing.) My group has come to dread this song lol
    When they retreat, he plays the other half
    The beatings will continue until morale improves!

Vaz approval for the best backstory. Villainous Competition 16: Burn Baby Burn
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/shows...&postcount=114

Honorable Mention Villainous Competition 22: I Am The Night
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...e-Night!/page6 Xihu Ayame

Click my Vulpix to feed it yummy berries!

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    DragonForce.
    YES.
    dotdotdot

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

DruidGuy

Rap. Especially Lord of the Rhymes and fantasized versions of NWA. Also Tales from the Hood soundtrack and Wu Tang Clan.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground

When I think Bards, I think of this incarnation of Daredevil.

As for songs, there are few things more inspiring than this or this
    Yes, I know Wizards can do it better, everyone knows it, they have the name of the goddamn company

26. - Top - End - #26
    Pixie in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"Skalds and Shadows" by Blind Guardian and "Lament of a Minstrel" by Falconer.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Orc in the Playground

ElfMonkGuy

Never played a bard myself, but have DMed for two bards -- one a homeless, street-busking saxophone player in Eberron, the other a cash-flashing, thrill-seeking dilettante with a knack for dropping ill rhymes in the face of the enemy...

28. - Top - End - #28

NinjaGuy

Two types:
    One, ones that make me want to stab them in the face
    Two, ones that are subtle hints for a quest that I will use to my advantage after I stab them in the face.

In my opinion what ever instrument they are using dictates the type of music, guitar might have a bit of a country or classic rock vibe, while the lute is ren fairey.
    Haggis is Sheep's stomach filled with its intestines.

My blog "Awkward GM"

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

I once played a bard that sung all power ballads. Freebird, Dream On, Starway to heaven, etc. Also note, that anything by the scorpions is pretty awesome for bardic music.

I always wanted to form a barbershop quartet for a party, but nobody else thought it’d be fun.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I always feel the need to smile when I see D&D bards, ostensibly Middle-Ages characters, somehow looking into the future and playing rock-and-roll tunes. I know since bards can do magic it's not TOO much of a stretch, but does ANYONE attempt to keep their bards historically accurate?

In other news, I find Jethro Tull makes for fine bard music, especially stuff from their Songs From The Wood album. I know, folksy though it may be, they're still a rock band. I'm a bleedin' hypocrite:

Songs From The Wood

Jack In The Green

Cup of Wonder

And the most bardly song of them all, The Whistler

I've ALWAYS wanted to play a bard inspired by the stage mannerisms of Ian Anderson.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."