New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default I just had an idea that I probably won't use; who wants it?

The basic idea is called SPELL-RAKES! Dun, dun, DUN!

Essentially, you learn a set of "weapons" over time; let's make that number 8.

When you hit with two of those "weapons", you get a SPELL-RAKE, which carries some awesome effect; there would be 64 possible spell-rakes, if you made the number 8.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: I just had an idea that I probably won't use; who wants it?

I've actually been thinking that almost ALL spells should be treated as weapons or creatures. Spells that are weapons could be disarmed, sundered, and potentially tossed at someone else. Spells that are creatures could be grappled, killed, tripped, etc. With a little work I think it could do a lot to help balance out casting.

Edit: that was kind of an off-topic ramble. Could you give a hypothetical example of your idea in practice (numbers not necessary)?
    Last edited by Drachasor; 2011-08-13 at 02:45 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Drachasor View Post
    I've actually been thinking that almost ALL spells should be treated as weapons or creatures. Spells that are weapons could be disarmed, sundered, and potentially tossed at someone else. Spells that are creatures could be grappled, killed, tripped, etc. With a little work I think it could do a lot to help balance out casting?
    The Fire Emblem series of video games has mages equip tomes, which have a certain number of charges. Everything has usage limits in Fire Emblem, even swords, so in D&D terms the mage could carry around a spellbook that must be "equipped" and turned to the right page, or have a staff or wand geared for a particular kind of magic. A bone wand would need to be equipped to cast necromancy, for instance.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kuma Kode View Post
    The Fire Emblem series of video games has mages equip tomes, which have a certain number of charges. Everything has usage limits in Fire Emblem, even swords, so in D&D terms the mage could carry around a spellbook that must be "equipped" and turned to the right page, or have a staff or wand geared for a particular kind of magic. A bone wand would need to be equipped to cast necromancy, for instance.
    I meant more like when you CAST it, the spell effect is an object/creature/weapon. A warrior could kill a fireball before it does damage or hurt it enough so it does less damage. Note, spells wouldn't necessarily last any longer (the warrior might attack the fireball as a reaction).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Attack with force "claw"!
    Attack with force "claw"!
    Did both hit?
    If yes, then autohit with a disintegrate effect!

Stuff like that.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

The Swordmage seems relevant here.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Doesn't have the same combinatoric effect as my idea.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

confused Re: I just had an idea that I probably won't use; who wants it?

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    The basic idea is called SPELL-RAKES! Dun, dun, DUN!

Essentially, you learn a set of "weapons" over time; let's make that number 8.

When you hit with two of those "weapons", you get a SPELL-RAKE, which carries some awesome effect; there would be 64 possible spell-rakes, if you made the number 8.
    Uh, what? I'm sorry, can you please run that by me again? I don't understand what you mean.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

Post #5 has the general idea boiled down.

Basically, you know how some creatures have the Rake (Ex) special quality? This would be getting similar as a magical system.