Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Voyage of the Morningstar [IC]

The Guildship Morningstar.

The guild had to build an entirely new mooring system for her, outside Caligo, as her side far exceeds that of even the heavy dreadnoughts anchored outside the forum. Three levels of gangways, out there in the weightless aether. A fiddle and a harp are playing on the highest level as, one by one, two dozen important guests arrive, and there's purple silk cushions and guild-blue velvet carpets, brass handholds and servants to prevent anyone from falling as they move into the gravity of the ship.
    Far below you, entire cartloads of goods, food and luxuries, are dragged on ropes into the bulging bronze belly of the ship, smooth metal stretching out of sight in both directions. There is not much decoration, a few glass domes and windows on the upper side and in the walls and, the most striking feature, the figurehead, a robed woman holding in her outstretched hand a pure, translucent crystal that must be the size of an ox cart, surrounded by fine gold filigree. A pair of matching crystals, perhaps even larger, can be seen at the back of the ship, most likely parts of the engine.
    Up at the guest entrance, it's all dark wooden panelling and polished metal, countless oil-lamps hanging in crystal chandeliers. Each guest is given their own servant by the guild, a young human of the same gender as the guest, unfailingly polite and neatly dressed in a blue uniform.
    The private suites of the guests are luxurious and, compared to other aetherships you've seen before, each suite larger than many rooms you find in normal taverns, with expensive furniture in silk and velvet, dark wood and gold, with walk-in wardrobes and dressing rooms, sleeping chambers, sitting rooms and even small antechambers for guests to wait in. The rooms are only dimly lit, though, despite all efforts made by the guild, magical phosphorescent crystals, wall-sized mirrors, oil lamps. There are few windows, and those that do are inches thick, leaving only a poor reflection of the brilliant rainbow colours of the aether outside.
    The servants carry your luggage to your rooms, with the help of Caligan porters, where necessary. After showing you your rooms, the servants politely bow, explaining:
    "The Captain kindly requests that all guests join him in two hours for introductions and a small snack in the Café."
    They will then politely stand outside your doors, on the broad, high-ceilinged corridors of the ship, awaiting any inquiries or questions you might have. The corridors are cleverly built, crooked and with many corners, so that from one suit, one can never see the door of any other.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-08-15 at 03:07 PM.
    "Après la vie - le mort, après le mort, la vie de noveau.
    Après le monde - le gris; après le gris - le monde de nouveau.
    "

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Voyage of the Morningstar [IC]

Renia stood at the base of one of the gangways, and gazed ahead. It was years since she had last been facing a long aethership journey... since before she'd first come to Caligo, in fact.

She was a slightly odd sight to anyone looking her way - she had her wings out, and curved around to frame her face, and there was a small constellation of suitcases around her. She wore a moderately fashionable dress whose back had been carefully removed from the waist up - most of her dresses had that same modification done to them, for obvious wing-related reasons. It had attracted a few unwanted stares in the past, and doubtless would again - Renia's dark skin was pretty much flawless, after all - but she had little choice. As bad as a revealing dress was, she'd ended up in her underwear in public a few times too many as a child... after she'd gotten excited about something, unfurled her wings... and had to retrieve her burst clothing from around the landscape.

A quiet sigh escaped her lips before she waved down a couple of the Porters to help her with her bags. They were given the bags full of clothing and minor supplies - Renia herself took the largest and heaviest of her pieces of luggage, and began the trek out along the catwalk.

As she went, she initially stuck her wings out to either side, like a tightrope-walker trying to keep balance - but the staff stationed along the catwalk forced her to fold them in against her back (or else sweep them off the catwalk entirely), and complete the journey as though she were a normal human. This revealed something else about her - there was a pale purplish stone sitting nestled in her hair as she walked.

If anyone looks *really* closely at her:
    Spoiler
    Show
    The stone appears to be anchored to her hair by a series of nigh-invisible legs.

Once inside, Renia couldn't help but notice, she'd be condemned to keeping her wings against her back near-constantly. Still, some things were worth doing, even if her wings would start to itch a little if they went unused for too long...

Still, she was impressed when she saw the size of her quarters. She'd expected a tiny little room - true, the Morningstar was made to be luxurious, but she'd gotten a free ticket, and surely that meant she'd have one of the cheap rooms? Then the thought hit her that this might actually *be* one of the cheap rooms.

If it is, I'm going to *have* to find my way into one of the EXPENSIVE rooms before the voyage is up... Now! Go now! They're still loading guests, so go before the rooms are occupied! You should be able to sneak a peak in the other rooms in the confusion...

Tempting as that thought was, 'her' servant interrupted at this point to relay the captain's message. "Two hours until nibbles. Understood." She grinned at the servant, and set about her unpacking. If she hurried, she should have all her things in place before their light refreshments began...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Issage

Proceeding slowly behind Reina is a barefoot figure entirely clad in strange white robes consisting of several layers of cloth wrapped around his body to form an elegant, yet simple design. On the back of his outfit a black star is embrodiered. The short, slim figure seems somewhat out of place amongst the riches and finery of the upper deck, but there's nothing in his posture or attitude suggesting that he is in the wrong place. Unlike the winged human proceeding him, Issage carries nothing, and surprisingly no servants are following him with private luggage either. He seems to have arrived entirely without possessions.

Halfway across the gangway he pauses, taking a moment to study the entire Morningstar, to actually try to understand the wealth and power required to build, and sail such a massive thing.

This ship is not built for war, nor for trade and yet… The cost of it could have sustained my entire clan for decades. What a waste.

Allowing the thoughts to pass through his mind Issage resumes his walk, and within moments the dark haired man boards the Morningstar for the first time. Following his blue-clad attendant, the ambassador from Ateko continues to absorb the details of the ship, taking every chance he can to study this foreign design.

They seems to place lot of importance on unnecessary details. I wonder if their minds are as cluttered as their corridors?

Arriving finally at his private quarters, Issage is given a quick tour by his assigned servant. As they arrive in the bedroom he takes a quick look at the massive four-poster bed.

"I will not sleep in that." His voice is soft, but his eyes are hard and faint lines of displeasure can be noticed in his face by someone with sharp eyes.
    "If you have the time, I'd appreciate it if you could bring me a simple white blanket and have it placed on the floor, here." He says and points to a place next to the bed. Noticing surprise in the servant's eyes, he smiles. "That is how I've slept my entire life. We are quite different, I suspect, you and I."

Heading back towards the corridors with the other man behind him, he continues.
    "Two hours to the gathering? That should give you plenty of time to show me around then. I've never been on a ship this large. I'm sure that there is a lot to see. And what is your name, boy? I cannot have you around without knowing your name."
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Sitting down on a crate Fredrick glanced up from the heavy book he was reading from, waiting for the gangway to clear out a little before making his way on. He was in no hurry and if helped him avoid bumping into something on the way in then he was more then willing to wait a bit.

When it cleared out some (or when he was forced off his create) Fredrick made his way up the Gangway, dusting off his heavy black and brown robes. He was, quite frankly, nothing to look at. With shaggy, oily black hair and a rather old looking brown and black robe Fredrick just… didn’t look like he belonged on this ship.

He didn’t have much with him for his bagboy to carry. Just a small bag filled with some spare clothing and perhaps a bit of ink and a quill. This was an all expense paid trip after all. If the university wanted him to go so badly then he should take advantage of it.

Once he made it to his room (Without speaking a word to the servant who took him there is possible) Fredrick slowly made his way around it, examining it thoroughly. Despite himself he couldn’t help but marvel at the size and grandeur of it. Certainly far nicer then any place he’d ever stayed in before.

Finally finished with his task he headed out towards the ships library, intent on wasting his time reading some books until he was supposed to go to the Café. He was half tempted to not even bother, but decided that possibly getting on the bad side of the guild was a… really bad idea.
    ParsonxMaggie Shipper in the Playground

5. - Top - End - #5

Issage's Cabin

The servant bows his head, slightly.
    As M'lord commands. Bedding will be provided as you wish by the time M'lord returns. What does M'Lord wish to see? The ship has quite beautiful gardens, a grand menagerie, several kinds of bath, if M'lord wishes to refresh himself, a gymnasium, darisrakian shadow theatre or library for entertainment, or, if M'Lord wishes, several restaurants and cafés."
    The young man pauses, then adds:
    "And my name's Keldom, as it pleases M'Lord."

The Library

The servant follows Fredrick discreetly at a distance of perhaps a dozen feet as he visits the library. It is a grand room, the main hall three stories high with two galeries under a high dome painted in faint pastel colours representing the ethereal mists and, quite dramatized, Pyph and Blackwell, the founders of the guild, standing triumphantly in the bow of the first aethership. Brass staircases, light and trellised and lead up to the galeries, from which low archways lead to smaller, quiet reading rooms.
    Books line the walls of the floor to ceiling, volumes in neat rows, all bound in the same, new-looking brown leather, titles and numbers imprinted in gold lettering.
    As Fredrick enters, a black crow, the feathers gleaming in the light of the oil lamps, flutters down from the highest floor, landing on a brass perch behind the nearby desk.
    "Aaah", the bird says, in a quite pleasant, deep voice. "A visitor, so early. My name is Lord Winsome, I am, for now, the Librarian. How may I help you?"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-08-15 at 05:21 PM.
    "

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Watching the bird for a moment Fredrick then turns his gaze to the many, many books. The smell of a library was always an intoxicating thing and to see so much effort put into making one... It was quite a nice feeling.

"Names Fredrick. I'm looking for a good book to pass the time. Something old, language doesn't really matter. Educational or not doesn't matter, just need something to pass the time." He pauses for a moment, before continuing. "What's the rarest book here?"

7. - Top - End - #7

The Library

Winsome inclines his head on one side, stepping from one foot to the other.
    "Old, you say. Yes, yes, you are the type for old books."
    The bird hacks at the desk in front of it with it's beak, then shifts it's head quickly to one, then the other side, looking Fredrick in the eyes.
    "See these books? New. All new. Codices and Encyclopedias. Geographies and Bestiaria. All printed fine, in leather and gold, and new. They even have..."
    The bird pecks again.
    "Novelles. These new books. Less than a hundred pages, and not a word of it true, fascinating, and the ladies love them. But old books? No. For old books, you don't need this library."
    The bird hops down from its perch onto the desk, leaning closer.
    "You... need Lord Winsome. I had a book or two of my own brought here. Vicarius' Men and Motivations, perhaps? Huozai's On the Names of Fire. Hah. No, you want Abu Kitaab's Histories of the Elements and the World. That is your book."
    He taps his beak against a small bell, and softly calls the name of the book. Seconds later, a tome, ancient looking and bound in crackled, black leather, the print on the cover long faded, comes scuttling across the floor on what seem to be a dozen brass legs, many-jointed like those of a spider.
    "The guild built me these, Winsome explains. "On account that I can't quite lift the books myself."
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-08-15 at 06:05 PM.
    "

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Fredrick looks at the book for a moment before picking it up, gently and carefully. If he had learned anything in his life it was that a book was something to be respected. And an old book, yellowed and faded with age... well, there were few things in the world more wondrous.

Turning the book over carefully Fredrick examined it, trying to estimate the age to the best of his abilities. The color, the scent, the fading text and cracks along its surface... and of course the contents themselves all helped tell a story. After opening up the page and glancing (again carefully) through a few pages Fredrick nodded his head and spoke softly

"Interesting... would you allow me to read this book here? Of course, I won't take it out of your sight and return it before I take my leave."

(1d20+14)[27]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Valse climbs up the gangplank onto the ship and smiles, pleased to find himself on the ship that he'll be helping to protect. He follows the porter assigned to him to his room to make sure everything is in place, then emerges a few minutes later, his rapier at his hip. A suit of gleaming plate armor, polished to the highest brightness, rests on his slim and fit body. A green vest lays over his armor, and a thin silver headband sits upon his cranium. He turns to the porter after he finishes his announcement.

"Good sir, I would greatly appreciate it if you could point me in the direction of the Head of Security. I have been employed as a guard on this ship, and I think it would be, in addition to good foresight, polite of me to introduce myself to my current superior."

OOC:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Eldan, where do you want us to post secret happenings or things that our characters are doing in private? Spoiler tags can be seen by everyone, but I also don't want to clog your inbox with PMs.
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

Last edited by Rauthiss : Today at 6:66 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

Issage

After thinking for a brief moment the ambassador leaves his suite, not bothering to see if the other man locks the door or not. After all, he has nothing that can be stolen.
    "Let's start with the Gardens." Allowing Keldom to catch up with him, Issage walks beside the man in silence for a few steps, trying to get a feeling for the ships construction.

These corridors take up far too much space, twisted with purpose I guess. Privacy seems to be highly valued here.

Glancing at his assigned companion he continues.
    "So, Keldom how long have you been working for the Guild? Is this your first assignment?"
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Floating up the gangway eerily, Shau'kesh's movements are as graceful as can be - his training as a Shadow Agent never far from the forefront of his mind. Stepping onto the ship proper, he breathes a sigh of relief and looks around in wonder.

"This is truly wonderful. Truly, truly wonderful. Even the words of my people are not enough for this... Yikes."

He pauses a moment to take in the views of the ship interior, having never seen a guildship before, this was quite a spectacle.

He turned round to face his servant.

"Ah, now, which way do I go?"

Following the young man to his room, Shau'kesh once more exclaims as he enters, marvelling at the fine decor of the room and the exquisite corridors outside.

"Ah, yes, two hours you say? Well then, I believe we have some clocks to destroy young sir! Take me to the find guests of this ship please! Any kind of meeting shed or gathering dungeon you may have!"
    Last edited by Niezck; 2011-08-16 at 03:44 AM.
    Dragonborn Gnome avatar by the ever-lovely Derjuin!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

A carriage rattles up to the gangway and a small group get out. Two young men, students by their garb, gradually set down a chest between them. A third, a burly figure with sword slung over one shoulder, juggles a canvas satchel, a bunch of flowers, while a smaller girl with an overlong white silk scarf carries a large cloth covered pastry in her hands, and a look of intense responsbility on her face. They trail a tallish lady in a loose white frill shirt and tight brown moleskin trousers. She arranges a stringed instrument on a strap over one shoulder, and then accepts the canvas bag, and puts that over the other shoudler. After carefully hugging each man and kissing them the cheek, she turns to the girl, and kneels down, putting one hand on her shoulder.

The girl surprises her by taking off her long scarf and winding carefully around her neck. The lady laughs, and moves the folds away from her face. They exchange a few words, and she passes the girl a small knife, it's silvered blade flashing briefly. While the girl is busy being shocked, she deftly scoops the cloth covered pastry from her arms, and then the flowers, taking a brief kiss on the hand as she does so. Extracting an arm with some difficulty, she moves up the gangplank, and then turns and waves.

After a few moments, as they start to move off, Vidaria turns and advances up the gangplank onto the deck of the Morningstar.

The servant who greets her is fresh faced and chipper, and Vidaria notes that she is to be her personal attendant with a nod, a smile, and a sense of impending doom.

She's drawn the short straw, and she doesn't know it yet.

She smiles and cuts her off after the first rehersed sentance of greeting.

I am indeed Vidaria, I am pleased to be here, and yes this is a wonderful ship. It's sweet of you to say all these wonderful things, but now, now is a time for action! My trunk languishes on the quayside, neglected and unloved, waiting for ravening wolves to carry it away. No!

Her arm shoots out, blocking the servant from approaching the gangplank.

You must not fetch it, for it is both heavy and fragile, filled as it is with tiger cubs and iron bars. Instead we must commandeer some likely stalwart fellows, no doubt you have a team both keen and eager to flex some muscle in your direction, to bear the dread burden to... to wherever it is I am to be ensconced for this voyage.

She nods as a more solidly built pair, a man and a woman, head down the gangplank after her trunk.

You may tell me, I am enured to disappointment. Is it to be a hammock strung between the lower masts? A pallet in some dingy cargo hold, to be nibbled on by ravenous rats until by some quirk of fate I defeat their champion in a cheese-eating contest and am hailed their monarch, crowned in plenipotentiary and fated rule below decks planning the glorious day of rodent revolution?

She whirls and strides forward in what would shortly turn out to be entirely the wrong direction.

In the meantime, I must find a point on the hull on this leviathan - a porthole, a window, a length of rail - where I might face the dockside. Not the quay, where I can see your boon companions bearing my ferocious felines aboard, but towards the harbour district. Can this be done? Can it?

She turns back towards the hapless servitor, and for a moment she is the focus of Vidaria's entire attention, causing her to take a step back in apprehension.

Great, now you're scaring her. You've not slept in a day and half, and you spent most of the last 12 hours trying to dodge Bennis' sweaty hands. So yeah, you're a in foul mood. But tone it down a bit! Try not to alienate everyone on the first day, hmm?

Vidaria takes a deep breath. And then she replaces her smile and reaches out a hand, speaking more softly.

One more step backwards and you'll be over the rail, and I'd hate to have to settle for the Purser's second choice. He must have chosen you for a reason.

Yeah, like he wants her to quit. That's it, let her relax a little, get her breath.

I arrived in crowded box on wheels, and I still don't know which way I'm facing. Could you possibly take me somewhere where I can see the main harbourfront? Or as close as we can get? There are some people I need to try and see.
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-16 at 06:34 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Titan looks at his room with slight confusion - or at least, as much confusion as his form allows him, a hulking warforged covered in thick plating and mechanisms made out admantine, the whole thing sparking with magic.

What's the point of all these superfluous things? Seems like a waste of resources. I mean, look at this!
    Eh, you have to remember they're not all like you. They like their excesses and luxury.
    Ah, right. Yeah, I guess being flesh and blood does that. By the way, maybe you shouldn't speak normally for a while. I don't think they'd really be very unconcerned that my...skin, I guess the equivalent is for them, is sentient. Not all the time, just for now. Contact with me is still good, though.

Now, he turns to the servant and speaks aloud, with a booming voice. "I need a place with tools. Where is one?"
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-08-16 at 05:20 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

It took Renia about a half an hour to finish her unpacking, at which point she (like the others) had some time to kill.

Idly strapping on a short sword (it did look a little weird on someone in an evening dress), Renia walked out the door, flagging down one of the swarming servants.

"I hear you have a training room, " Renia mentions, placing a hand casually on her sword hilt, "Do any of you fancy showing me the way?"

The invitation had mentioned a Gravity-less training room. That was fine by her - flying in no gravity was a lot like swimming without the fuss of finding a backless swimming suit in a style that wouldn't get her dragged in front of the University Disciplinary Committee.

There were, she had to admit, some downsides to being a beautiful young woman working in a field majority-run by old men.

Still, time to put such thoughts aside. Renia needed to be focused by the time she reached the training room. She wasn't Caligo's greatest warrior, but she could defend herself... so long as her assailant also wasn't Caligo's greatest warrior. This would get embaressing fast if her mind wasn't on the task...

15. - Top - End - #15

The Library

The pages of the book are ancient, not paper, but parchment, crackling and brown with age, the ink on some pages near-faded. There are illuminations on the starting pages of each chapter, beautiful despite their age and barely faded, greens, blues, reds and gold leaf filling entire pages. It seems the binding was cut, at least once, and glued again into a new leather cover which has, again, cracked and broken. The book must be five hundred years old, or older, long before printing was invented.
    Winsome stares at Fredrick for a long time.
    "You will take proper care with the book, I can tell. Yes, you may read it. Take any of the reading rooms. They are silence-screened, so that no sound goes in or out of them."

Valse

The crew chambers are considerably more simple, single rooms with narrow beds, but comfortable enough, and with more than enough size to stow the goods. Down here, fewer attempts at luxury have been made, the inner walls are simple wooden boards, not the luxurious dark paneling of the upper decks, the hull, which can be seen from here, is dark bronze, and the quarters of the rest of the crew are door to door, sailors and marines, engineers and navigators, servants and stewards busy stuffing their materials.
    The servant bows and leads Valse down another level, just above the enormous cargo hold, to the security center of the ship, a series of interconnected, low-ceilinged halls with pillars. Weapon racks stand along some walls, book cases and maps along others. At one wall, a dwarf in boiled leather lined with metal scales, a short sword at his belt and a short-cropped blonde beard is standing next to a short (even for her race), matronly halfling lady in a white shirt and leather vest. The two seem to be discussing one of the maps.
    The halfling turns around as Valse enters, and her wrinkly face lights up in a hearty smile.
    "Welcome. I am Marga Faysight, chief of security, and this is Kelf Uskild, my second in command. Would you be the new "special guard" I was promised?"

Spoiler
    Show
    Better not plug my message box, yes. If you want, we can discuss a few things over skype. Which we should do anyway, regarding a few things.
    "

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

Although his betrayed nothing (Or least he hoped it didn't) Fredrick was amazed by what he was holding in his hands. "Mhmm..." Closing the book with the same care he showed all ancient literature he headed off to one of the near-by reading rooms. Almost forgetting he did a half-turn and uttered "My thanks." before turning back towards one of the many reading rooms.

Once inside he placed the book down, say down, and began to read. If there was ink and paper near-by he would take notes of what he was reading, if it was interesting enough.

He wasn't sure if he wanted to book to be engaging enough to loose track of time or not...
    Last edited by Matar; 2011-08-16 at 06:51 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Issage

The man walks a few steps ahead of Issage, hands folded behind his back. "No, M'Lord. The guild has only hired experienced people for this mission. I have been a sailor on the Caligo-Launulor-Rakhada circuit three times, and a guild steward at the Kontor of Stormcliff for two years before that."
    He leads Issage up two flights of winding stairs, and through an archway.
    "The gardens, Sir."

A dome of crystal glass spans overhead here, forty, fifty feet high, held up by wooden arches and twisting pillars, leaving in the brilliant rainbow-light from the aether outside, almost blinding after the dim corridors. Branches grow from the pillars, forming an almost closed, second roof of leaves overhead. The ground is a mass of twisting, arm-thick roots winding through each other, but clear water can be seen between them in small, open ponds. Wooden walkways lead through the forest to other chambers vaguely visible in the distance. Dragonflies, emerald-green and azure blue and long as a man's hand are buzzing between the branches, and tiny, red crabs are scuttling between the roots.
    "The glass is fortified with shielding magic, M'Lord, so that it can be thin enough to be translucent. The arches and pillars are all a single, living, shaped mangrove tree from Belamina, though its growth has been arrested so it doesn't deform the glass. This is the mangrove garden, we used it to store a lot of the ship's water supply. There are more conventional gardens in other chambers, too. We have a large lawn, an oak grove, and a flower garden too, if M'Lord wishes to see that."
    "

18. - Top - End - #18

Shau'kesh

The servant's face, this one with a full, blonde beard, betrays no emotion on his master's language whatsoever as he nods.
    "Certainly, M'Lord. M'Lord will be early, but I will lead M'Lord to the Café. If M'Lord wishes to destroy clocks instead, M'Lord I can lead M'Lord to Engineering, instead, they will most likely have a few surplus clocks for M'Lord."
    He leads Shau'Kesh along a long and unnecessarily winding corridor to the front of the ship, on a gallery around the wide-open central stairwell and across the statue-decorated entrance of the theater to the Café.
    The room is fitted into the front of the vaguely egg-shaped hull, and half of its walls are taken up by a floor-to ceiling window, rounded and leaning slightly inwards at the top. Along the wall, a dozen small coffee tables with two or three white filigreed chairs each are set up, but the central space, a floor of polished grey marble, has been cleared for the meeting about to take place. Half a dozen uniformed servants are hurrying across the room, setting up silver platters of food on a long table along the curved window, but no other guests seem here yet.
    A herald, surprised at the early arrival of the first guest, hurries over from a wall he had been leaning on, stands next to the door, bangs his long, ornately carved staff on the floor and announces, to the guest-less room:

"Name-speaker Shau'Kesh, Ambassador of the Illumians of Elirhondas of the Shadow!"
    Last edited by Eldan; 2011-08-16 at 09:40 AM.
    "

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Shau'kesh looks surprised and utterly baffled, unaware of his translation slip-up earlier.

"Dear boy are you thick? What in Elirhondas would I want to go to Engineering for? Lead on."

He remains silent during the journey, speaking up as the herald announces his arrival.

"Oh I say! Fantastic! Do you do that screaming thing for everybody entering the dungeon? I fear mine may have fallen on invisible ears... There doesn't seem to be anybody here! Say, could you re-scream my entrance once the dungeon's a bit more on the full side of things?"
    Last edited by Niezck; 2011-08-16 at 02:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Vidaria

The servant stands, stone-faced, hands folded behind her back, not even raising an eyebrow at Vidaria's words.
    "Most of the harbour district is inside the world, Milady, or on the other side. We had to construct this entire area specifically for the Morningstar. But from the Café or the Restaurant, a good deal can be seen. I suggest the Café, the view should be satisfactory, and the introductions and explanations will be made there in two hours."

Titan

The servant nods at the request.
    Certainly, M'Lord. I can arrange for a workshop in engineering being vacated and prepared for you"
    He makes a sweeping gesture over the three cabin rooms.
    "Or if you prefer privacy, any of the furniture not to your liking can be removed and a work table with any tools you should require."

Renia

Renia's personal servant, waiting outside the cabin patiently, nods and swivels around on the heels of his boots.
    "Of course, Milady. The Gymnasia are not far from here."
    She leads Renia down a narrow spiral staircase at the back of the part of the ship containing the suites, and along a short stretch of corridor, into round room with five other doors branching of. Pointing at each of them, she explains their function.
    "The Room through here is styled after those used for the training of guild Aethermarines, a large hall, mostly empty and no gravity. This one is based on designs for scout and elite force training rooms, and contains various floating obstacles representing small shards and the debris of ships. It can also simulate weather effects. Room three contains training dummies, animated or inanimate, as Milady prefers. Room four is a more classical training room with weights, ropes and machines. Room five is the office of our Training Master. I can introduce Milady to him, if Milady should like that."

Fredrick:

The book is ponderous to read, written in a style that is at once extremely dry and needlessly wordy and, to make matters more complicated, it liberally quotes long passages in all four elemental languages.
    The matter itself is interesting enough, a broad collection of theories about the origin of the multiverse and the nature of magic, as relates to the elemental planes and, mixed in, an examination of the politics and histories of the eight Elemental Empires.
    "

21. - Top - End - #21
    Barbarian in the Playground

Valse grin and bows towards the woman, extending a hand in greeting.

"Yes, Ma'am, that would be me. I thought it would be a good idea to introduce myself to the person I'll be working under. Is there anything special I should know? Would you like me to move my luggage down here?"
    Homebrew Hoard
    Current Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    All images by myself.

Last edited by Rauthiss : Today at 6:66 AM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

"By all means, introduce me to the Training Master. I'm only really here to look around, after all - don't want to turn up to the big casting-off party covered in sweat or bruises."

After giving the other doors a final, wistful glance, Renia turns towards the Master's office. Renia comments, mainly to herself, "You know, I'll have to try Room Two sometime... My evasive flying days aren't that far behind me..."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Erdore Aurun of Lauros

Arriving on the gangway scene is the Lauros company. They make their way to the area with gravity, floating down from the gravityless aether. Walking at the lead is Rilando Aurun, High Noble and Ambassador of Lauros, closely followed by his sons, his assistant Nimore Aurun and the Navigator Erdore Aurun. The latter seems to be accomponied by a shifting and amorphous cloud, surrounded by fast-moving currents of air. Darker bits of twirling vapour form the suggestion of two eyes and a mouth, but this could be a trick of the swirling air. Yet this is not his only companion, as flying after and around Erdore Aurun is a translucent blue crystal. After these three is Grumar Derutise, another Ambassador and Noble of Lauros.

The group seems to be followed by several coffers, floating in the air even as gravity takes hold of them. Their movement is bobbing, almost as if being held, but any servants carrying them are not to be spotted. Rilando Aurun is swift and kind to point out to the servants of the Guildship Morningstar that carrying their luggage will not be necessary today.

All four of the people from Lauros are elves, gray elves to be exact. They are slender, slightly shorter than humans and have pointed ears. The three Aurun family members have long and pale golden hair with violet eyes, while Grumar Derutise contrasts with medium length silver hair and amber eyes. Each of them carries themselves with a noble and regal stance, walking with a refined grace.

Erdore Aurun walks with a nimble step and moves with a graceful fluidity. While his movements do not seem to indicate much strength, much like is common for a gray elf, his slim body does not seem as frail as an average elf. His long straight hair moves along gently, framing his long face, though unable to prevent his pointed ears from sticking out. Amidst the smooth skin which will never know facial hair are two bright and keen violet eyes, taking his surroundings in deeply. While Erdore is younger than his brother, it is difficult to spot this difference for people not familiar with elves and their long lives giving rise to their timeless appearance.

The dress of Erdore Aurun, as well as each of the three other elves, is finely and richly decorated and of very high quality, showing off wealth and splendour. The clothing of the Aurun family does seem to be a step up from that of the other Ambassador, but in both cases the style is lavish. Golden thread is embroided in the clothes of the Aurun family, while Grumar Dertise's clothing is embroided with fine silver. The embroideries are around and near the seams, on the collar and along the edges, as well as the ends of the sleeves. They flow in rich patterns, enhanced with fine gems set among the complex and interwoven motifs. There is no real symbology present in the designs, instead meant to be aesthetically pleasing. They are finely integrated in the clothing so that while they are wealthy and lavish, the entirity creates an interlinked whole of beauty and grace.

The base colour of Edore Aurun's silken clothing is a deep and rich blue, where as the base colour of his father Rilando's clothing is a royal red and his elder brother Nimore wears clothes with a base colour of violet. The ambassador Grumar Derutise has a base colour of amber with his clothes. Where the Aurun family wears long and richly decorated coats with trousers and fine, sturdy shoes, Grumar Dertise has chosen for a finely decorated jacket over a more practical and less decorated shirt, with wider trousers and dark boots underneath.

Even the coffers following them seem to be finely decorated with golden or silver thread decorations around the hard steel locks. Besides decoration on their clothes and coffers, the elves also wear decoration themselves in the form of finely made jewelry. Erdore himself is in possession of various jewelry, an amulet with a ring of gold around a large and relatively flat dark purple-blueish gem. A keen and attentive eye may notice an arcane sigil and mystic design inside of it.
    A ring on each ring finger and one on the left middle finger, all three gold, but with different designs on them. One has an almost square and relatively flat diamond on it, while the other has a line of ruby red leading through it, which almost seems to be a liquid contained within the ring. The third is a signet ring, bearing the Aurun symbol. The theme of gold is continued with the light golden circlet set over Erdore's pale golden hair. It has a fine design over it, leading to a central small diamond at Erdore's forehead.
    The last piece of jewelry are a set of wide blueish mithral bracelets around Erdore's wrists, underneath the sleeves of his coat. They have golden designs on them, much alike the patterns on the rest of his clothing.

The company moves on to board the Morningstar, letting their eyes move over the imposing and gigantic construction. The size is certainly impressive, as is the size of the crystals visible. Inside of the Morningstar, the luxury of the craft does not seem to elicit any sign of awe from the Aurun family, while Grumar Dertise finds the abundance of wood noteworthy and asks his assigned servant of its origins.

There is little talk amongst them for now, as they have plenty to see and think about. None of them seem inconvienced by the dim light, their elven sight superior to that of a human. The size of the craft has set Erdore thinking, as it does not compare to any ship he has seen before. How he would love to see what the Navigation Chamber looks like on a ship like this, as well as other parts of the ships inner workings. It is truly an impressive feat to create a ship this size and here is an opportunity to see more of it. Filing the thought away for later, Erdore instead focuses on the first stop, their rooms.
    He is surprised how privacy has been a high priority here, with none of the other room entrances visible from one entrance in the winding passageways. As the group moved, they first stop at Rilando's room, followed by Nimore's and eventually Erdore stops at his own room. "Thank you for the information." He states towards the servant as he explains he is expected in two hours. Seeing Grumar Dertise already moving further down the hallway to check out his room, Erdore enters the room assigned to him. Quickly letting his eyes move along the room and walking a quick circle through it, continiously followed by both the whispy cloud and the crystal, he then quickly moves out to the door.

"I know my father well enough, he will soon enough be knocking on my door to discuss things along with Nimore." He thought to the crystal flying around him. "Ah, I was just about to ask." "You knew already, though. I was just quicker than you as it was predictable." "True, true. So then you know my next question as well: What are you going to do now? Besides leaving the room, that is." "I don't know. We'll just see about that, could be anything." "A bit unprepared, no?" "Yes, but I am not in the mood to speak with Rilando now. So, let's go and explore!" "I will observe." "You always do."

Opening the door and stepping out on the hallway, Erdore Aurun swiftly looked around to ensure that his father was not yet coming. Listening only for a second, he swiftly turned to the servant. "Come along, I have a question." As he started walking further down the corridor, away from Rilando's room and past Grumar Dertise's room, his walking pace was fast. So fast that an ordinary human would need to hustle to keep up. The cloud following Erdore moved along at his speed, though the crystal seemed to show some difficulty staying at the same distance as it's manouvrability in the air seemed rather poor. "What is the closest facility or point of interest this way and does it lead to another place?" Erdore asked of the servant.

24. - Top - End - #24

Shau'kesh

"C-certainly, Namespeaker."
    The Herald is clad in a more ostentatious version of the uniform the servants wear, a coat of a blue so dark it is almost black, ending halfway down the thighs but with a high, stiff collar reaching past the jaw on both sides, over a white shirt with, in the Herald's case, a lacy cravat of pale violet silk.
    He is a rather short young man, his forehead slightly sweaty and reddened from nervousness.
    "Yes", he adds, then.
    "I have to introduce all guests."
    He nervously fingers his staff, a massive construction of slate-grey ironwood, the head carved in a simple round knob.

Valse

The halfling grabs Valse's hand with both of hers, shaking it. Her hands are slender, long-fingered and sinewy, the skin a bit wrinkled and spotted from age.
    "No need for that. We all have our own cabins in the crew quarters. Down here is merely our, hmm, lounge, the mess, the armoury and, of course, this room, the command centre of the guard, if you want."
    She indicates a few of the features with quick hand gestures.
    "Maps of all the worlds and features we will be visiting, and those we will pass close by. Information, where available, on inhabitants. Crew quarters over there."
    She grins.
    "I have twelve guild marines under my command, and six weapon operators, but I told the guild that if they wanted me, I'd hire a few people of my own. The marines are fine soldiers, of course, but I thought we might have need of some special skills."
    She musters Valse with lively green eyes, up and down, evaluating.
    "You were highly recommended to me. I want you to come with me to the reception in two hours, when the captain introduces the guests and officers to each other. After that, we talk about what you will do here. Until then, I suggest you get a good look at the ship. Know your battlefield, and all that."
    "

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

I... see...

Vidaria looks down for a moment, the silence stretching.

Well then, I guess we had best go to my room. Do I have a room? And... what should I be calling you?

Ok, so does she really have the emtional range of a granite statute, or is it just me she doesn't like?
    Last edited by Togo; 2011-08-17 at 02:01 AM. Reason: adding name

26. - Top - End - #26

Renia

The battle master's office is a small, perhaps five steps on a side. In the middle stands a small, wooden desk, polished and perfectly empty, showing not even a quill. Behind the desk, taking up almost the entire wall, is an oil painting, showing what seems to be a piece of black rock, vaguely pyramidal in shape, floating, point downwards, above a stormy, green ocean. White lightning is flashing all around the rock from massive storm clouds taking up the entire sky.
    On both sides of the door are wooden weapon stands, containing an assortment of weapons, all from polished, black-lacquered wood with gold inlay, and gleaming, silvery blades. On the left are polearms, a spear, a glaive, a halberd and several more exotic ones with spikes, blades and hooks. On the right are blades, swords curved and straight, in pairs and single, over a dozen altogether. On a third stand in a corner stands a piece of armour, delicate black steel scales, overlapping, and a helmet with a crest in the form of a hawk's head, in gold.
    The weapon master himself is sitting behind the desk, calmly smoking a long-stemmed pipe. He is a hobgoblin, his skin a dark reddish brown, his lower fangs pronounced and reaching above his upper lip. His hair is black, turning grey at the temples, with a grey mustache hanging down past his chin in two fine points, clad in a simple, black coat reaching past his knees, with no decorations, and matching pants, all held together by a cloth belt of the same material.
    He makes no motion as you enter, save raising an eyebrow inquiringly, and continues to puff on his pipe.
    "

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Renia
    Slowly, Renia takes the crystal out of her hair. Then, without a word, she draws her short sword (holding it by the cross-hilt guard instead of the hilt, so as not to give the Battle Master the wrong idea) and crosses to the sword section. Quietly, she holds her sword up alongside the sword closest in size, comparing the two.

Pretty, isn't it? Yeah. Magical? No idea, but it wouldn't be surprising.

"I have to admit, I always liked the idea of a basket hilt - but then, most of my life has been spent with much longer blades than this one, so fencing hilts were a touch impractical. Shame, really."

Renia returns her own sword to its scabbard, and glances around at the polearms.

Remember the broken halberd?

"As a child, I always dreamed of being a Convent Guard. When I was six...ish... said convent was raided by a band of pirates. Looking through the wreckage of that skirmish later, I found a guard's halberd - the pole had fractured a little under the head, so it had been discarded. And I took it. My first weapon, a broken Halberd. There was just enough of a shaft left for a 6 year old to consider it an impressive weapon. I trained with that halberd religiously..."

As Renia speaks, apparently mostly to herself, she crosses the room towards the polearms section, and lays a hand gently on a halberd's shaft.

"At some point, I would definitely like to try training with some of these weapons." This time, Renia's definitely speaking to the Battle Master rather than herself. "Sadly, I doubt today will be the time. We've got a reception this evening." A faint shrug crosses her shoulders as she turns back to face the Battle Master, and extends a hand in his direction. It's the one holding her crystal, which promptly extends its legs and runs back up Renia's arm to perch on her shoulder. "Renia Alo'Nevin." she told him, finally remembering to introduce herself.

28. - Top - End - #28

Erdore

The servant hustles along, falling in a few steps behind in a jog that is made awkward by the arms still locked behind the back.
    When asked a question, he stops, his uniform coat falling back around his knees.
    "This is sternwards, M'lord. If you continue on this floor, the baths, two floors up, the menagerie, above that, the gardens. Two floors below, the Gymnasium, below that, Engineering."
    "

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Shau'kesh, Cafe

"Ah, very well then! I'll be going to wait over here, I shall return to you when more have arrived... Can't be having an important diplomat ignored because he was too keen to get here, can we?"

That said, Shau'kesh wanders over to one of the tables and takes a seat, adjusting robes so as not to bunch.

"This is nice, isn't it?"

He says to his servant.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Ambassador Titan of the Steel Order

Titan nods. "Yes, convert this place into a place I can work in. I have no need for these finery and embellishments." He thinks for a moment. "However, let's go see what Engineering is like anyway."