A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Ah dump stats... How i love thee...

So, been playing some Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay. DMing a game, first ever. Ran through a pre-con adventure, had an adventure of my own, running another prebuilt. Also playing in a game, and having way more fun with that. I rolled up a protagonist (Professional Antagonist, basically I bully people for money) and get a 5 for my intelligence... This is abysmal. But, I played it up. Basically, he is very dumb. But he thinks he is quite clever. He basically comes up with half assed schemes that have a slight chance of profit, when straight up robbery is much more profitable.

We are part of a traveling merchant group, so whenever we stop by the city we are only there for the night. This is ideal for mugging people, as they can report me to the gaurd, but I'll have moved on by the time anyone get's around to anything. In one city, I robbed a halfling point blank, and then assaulted him. We left the city, only to find a roadblock. We went back. My character had the idea to join the town guard, so he could rob people under the cover of the law, before moving on the next day. Well, he went to the guardhouse and was requested to join. I failed the (int based) perception roll to see the wanted poster, and was subsequently arrested. Joy.

He also frequently lies to authority in ways that incriminate others, and will end up wasting a lot of everyones time.

Best moment of the game so far, which I think was also a very subtle dm warning, was when I went out to find someone to pick a fight with and rob. I met... someone trying to rob me, or kill me and rob me. I killed him and took his stuff. I think the dm was saying "Knock it off or you will try to rob the wrong person... and get robbed yourself."

Off topic, this game is degenerating quickly. We have a psychotic norsemen who has an 18 foot long tongue due to being gifted by Slaanesh, one party member who wants to overthrow the empire by making the people rebel and rule them as a dictator, a small time thug(me), a not quite as psychotic norsemen, and a Priestess who turns a blind eye to her coworkers misdeeds, and spends a lot of time reading or praying and basically staying out of our way.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Ah dump stats... How i love thee...

Oh man. This sounds awesome. You should write one of those campaign journals, or keep us updated on this. In the theme of dump stat horror storeis, I once played a D&D Archivist with, like 6 STR. You know those heavy things wizards carry around? Like hats? And Spell-books? Other than my equipment, I could carry next to nothing. And I couldn't touch those spells that required attacks, touch or not.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    Oh man. This sounds awesome. You should write one of those campaign journals, or keep us updated on this. In the theme of dump stat horror storeis, I once played a D&D Archivist with, like 6 STR. You know those heavy things wizards carry around? Like hats? And Spell-books? Other than my equipment, I could carry next to nothing. And I couldn't touch those spells that required attacks, touch or not.
    I had a scout with a 5 STR and like and 8 CHA or CON once.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans
    Not again...

4. - Top - End - #4

Dwarf fighter. 4 CHA. He didn't talk much

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

Troll Street Sammy, 1 Logic, 1 Charisma.

Oooh yeah
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

6. - Top - End - #6

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Troll Street Sammy, 1 Logic, 1 Charisma.

Oooh yeah

Stones not big people person. Stones big gun person! Others not appreciate Stones' big gun plan.

7. - Top - End - #7

Heh, in our group Wisdom is generally deficient. Only one of our characters had a positive wisdom modifier (mine), two have 8 Wisdom, and one has 5 Wisdom (incidentally, she also has the highest Intelligence).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

I'm curious as to how a high int low wis character works. Is it like they're book smart but not street smart or something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Squark View Post
    Seriously. Every time someone posts a thread like this, the Giant kills a kitten. Please stop before he gets to Mr. Scruffy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Othesemo View Post
    Recent studies have suggested that reading daily mail reduces the sodium content in your blood. As such, many leading doctors suggest taking it with a grain of salt.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Low Wis high Int? Know a lot, but you squander your talents. It happens all the time in real life. ALL THE TIME.

I've had a small sized caster with 1 strength and 7-8 constitution before. He's based on me.

(Note: I really do have a huge problem with carrying capacity. I'm fully encumbered when carrying two textbooks in a backpack. I'm at my max load when carrying my rather light laptop.)

(And I really am 4 feet tall.)
    "You think you have won, do you? You are mistaken! I will not be defeated! I will destroy EVERYTHING and you BOTH will die! I hold the prophecy stone in my hands. When it breaks the DARK DRAGON will rise to destroy ALL of Silmaria. You cannot stop me. NO ONE can stop me. I AM YOUR DOOM!" - QFG V

I would be very grateful for any feedback on the homebrewed stuff I've created:
    The Warp Walker, The Glorious Berserker

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Objection View Post
    I'm curious as to how a high int low wis character works. Is it like they're book smart but not street smart or something?
    the 3.5 phb describes such a character as being a absent-minded professor type

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGirl

I had an orc necromantic priestess with a 3 charisma in exchange for a 19 wisdom plus an unlucky monstrous trait or two.

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

I tend to play it as not knowing the difference of what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do.
    My Pokemon
    Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by WildPyre View Post
    I tend to play it as not knowing the difference of what you CAN do and what you SHOULD do.
    "Intelligence is knowing [the exact stats for an Old Red Dragon], Wisdom is knowing not to provoke it"

Don't remember where I saw it, sadly...

But yeah. Intelligence: coming up with crazy plans. Wisdom: knowing when (and IF) to put said crazy plans into action.
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfFighterGuy

Mad scientist. The sort that makes a zombie virus and releases it before he comes up with an antidote.

Basically, you do very dumb things in very smart ways because you don't think about the end result of whatever you're about to do.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by kieza View Post
    Basically, you do very dumb things in very smart ways because you don't think about the end result of whatever you're about to do.
    See also Aperture Science. Or the fictional company that goes "Hey, we've invented a nifty portable teleportation device! Let's use it to test our almost-as-amazing but ridiculously-badly-marketed-and-tested* other products. Y'know, instead of thinking of actual practical application." The most hilarious and awesome demonstration of this on a large scale.

*let's say you make the bounciest gel ever that also happens to "dislike the human skeleton". How would you market it as? If you answered "diet pudding", you win a cookie.
    Quote Originally Posted by on Dwarf Fortress succession games
    I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwarf Fortress 0.40.01 bugs
    - If an adventurer shouts and nobody is around to hear it, the game crashes
    - War Dogs appear to run from themselves in terror
    - New tree generation frequently causes birds to explode

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

That's your smart guy who develops something and does not realize that it might have very deadly applications.
    Or they know lots of theoreticals, but not much practical knowledge.
    Or your absent minded professor type.
    Or someone smart, but easily lead.
    Extreme cases could be idiot savants.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calanon View Post
    Raven_Cry's comments often have the effects of a +5 Tome of Understanding

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A fair number of academics are like this - without being absent minded or crazy. They have a keen understanding of subject material, but might not understand the implication of it in the real world.

18. - Top - End - #18

I once had a Wisdom of 3, a Charisma of 3, a Strength of 6, a Constitution of 14, and an Intelligence of 24. It was fun!
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    I once had a Wisdom of 3, a Charisma of 3, a Strength of 6, a Constitution of 14, and an Intelligence of 24. It was fun!
    How on Earth did you roleplay that monstrosity?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    My guess is a rude smart-Alec of a wizard.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

21. - Top - End - #21

OldWizardGuy

I'd see it as "HA! You petty mortals and your STUPID problems. I COULD help you, but I don't FEEL like it. Think I'll just laugh while that dragon eats you.

Oh wait, we're friends?"

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

I currently have two characters (both are race/class combos with backstories my DM gave me to put flesh on.)

A custom subrace elf cleric
    Str 6 (-2 racial), Dex 12, Con 12, Int 14 (+2 racial), Wis 19, Cha 12

And a custom subrace halfling psion (telepath)/wizard (diviner)
    Str 6 (-2 racial), Dex 14 (+2 racial), Con 14, int 19, Wis 10, Cha 8
    Thanks to Pesimismrocks for my awesome avatar, and Gaiyamato for the game that inspired it!
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to Kymme

Nicest thing said of me:
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Able' Xanthis View Post
    This is what a properly motivated caster is like, people. Concussive explosions able to rip the front end of a hummer in twain and Chilling is using them to filter out those who don't make the cut. Those unworthy of his true magistic might.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Look at the average World of Warcraft Pvper.

24. - Top - End - #24

What about the opposite? I'm trying to come up with a way to portray a high Wisdom low Intelligence character that isn't Forrest Gump.

25. - Top - End - #25

Quote Originally Posted by Spamotron View Post
    What about the opposite? I'm trying to come up with a way to portray a high Wisdom low Intelligence character that isn't Forrest Gump.
    Simple, someone who goes by their instincts rather than by analysis and knowledge. Somewhat like an animal, I guess...
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-08-19 at 03:51 PM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

with the high wisdom low intellegence--- try the guy who doesn't have a good memory but has tons of common sense. The guy isn't book smart, but he knows how the world works and has an unusually accurate feel for situations.

I can imagine a hero that is this way....

I'm trying to imagine a villain.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by erictheredd View Post
    with the high wisdom low intellegence--- try the guy who doesn't have a good memory but has tons of common sense. The guy isn't book smart, but he knows how the world works and has an unusually accurate feel for situations.

I can imagine a hero that is this way....

I'm trying to imagine a villain.
    Think of the stereotypical Queen Bee of high school. That blond girl who is not too smart, but has a good feel for people. By reading their emotions they know the best way to manipulate someone. Its definitely a low int high wis/cha villain archetype.
    Last edited by starwoof; 2011-08-19 at 10:49 PM.
    I used to do avatars on request, feel free to use them.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by starwoof View Post
    Think of the stereotypical Queen Bee of high school. That blond girl who is not too smart, but has a good feel for people. By reading their emotions they know the best way to manipulate someone. Its definitely a low int high wis/cha villain archetype.
    High Int and High Wisdom would be?
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gamgee View Post
    High Int and High Wisdom would be?
    A very intelligent version of the low int high wisdom person. An all around genius.
    Awesome avatar by Cuthalion

Spoiler: Old Avatars
    Show

By Ceika, Ceika, Linklel (Except for one that appears to be lost to time)

30. - Top - End - #30

I've seen a character with an 18 strength and a 7 constitution. That always seemed really...off, to me.