New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Lesser Leadership

Lesser in this case meaning less game smashing.

Lesser Leadership:
    Requirements: Character Level 3
    Benefits: This feat functions as Leadership for the purpose of granting a Cohort, but does not grant Followers.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Lesser Leadership

The cohort is the game smashing part. The followers aren't worth much, except maybe as GOD-type casters that sling around buffs and battlefield control, or people who craft stuff to sell.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    The cohort is the game smashing part. The followers aren't worth much, except maybe as GOD-type casters that sling around buffs and battlefield control, or people who craft stuff to sell.
    135 followers isn't game smashing? Yet a spare NPC party member who is two levels behind you is game smashing?

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    135 followers isn't game smashing? Yet a spare NPC party member who is two levels behind you is game smashing?
    135 followers all 6th level or lower at 20th level. Compared to an 18th level full caster.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    So, what would be a good way to handle this? Reduce the Cohort level? Only have Followers?

As far as the initial idea...would the Apprentice/Mentor Feats from (is it the PH2 or DMG2?) fill the role you want for this Feat, or are you trying for something different (like get a follower with a much different set of abilities)?

6. - Top - End - #6

Pretty much. It depends on what exactly the DM lets you get away with ("okay, I want to attract a wizard" can mean either "here's a blank character sheet, use X method to generate stats" or "here's a pregenerated wizard cohort, his name is Bob, treat him well"). If you get the first option, it's a feat for a second party member, and that's broken no matter how you slice it. If it's the second option, then it's still a feat for a wizard.

The 135 followers can occasionally do interesting things like be adepts and torch countrysides with Burning Hands, but for the most part people just end up ignoring them/sacrificing them for rituals/whatever.
    Dealing with massive extended family DRAMAAAAA, posting slow to nonexistent until issues resolved.

Avatar by the wonderful Ceika. Many praises be unto she.

Live your life without regrets.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Adamantrue View Post
    So, what would be a good way to handle this? Reduce the Cohort level? Only have Followers?
    One feat that grants only followers.

One feat that grants a cohort at half your level max.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

8. - Top - End - #8

As far as the initial idea...would the Apprentice/Mentor Feats from (is it the PH2 or DMG2?) fill the role you want for this Feat, or are you trying for something different (like get a follower with a much different set of abilities)?
    actually it was just to give me something at the moment as well as cause an opening for someone to point me to a feat that hopefully does what I wish: AKA: Thanks!

Morph: Or just make the cohort 4 levels lower if its a spellcaster... no Wishes or Gates... Which seems to be what everyone's complaining on.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2011-08-19 at 02:19 PM.

My Homebrew

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lesser in this case meaning less game smashing.

Lesser Leadership:
    Requirements: Character Level 3
    Benefits: This feat functions as Leadership for the purpose of granting a Cohort, but does not grant Followers.
    This is already a thing.

D20 M breaks out the cohort and the followers into separate feats.
    It doesn't make it balanced at all, really, but hey.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

My idea was to have Leadership give followers only, and then Greater Leadership gives the cohort. That assumes no flaws or other ways of getting bonus feats that can be used for those; otherwise, you'd probably want a few others in the chain as well.

Of course, that'll still only work when the game is based not only on number of actions but also on their power and chance of success (and 2 levels difference makes for a character only half as powerful); otherwise, there's no way to fix cohorts.

Minimally customizable cohorts (race, class, alignment) that are played as NPCs (not under the PC's direct control, although they'll listen to him) would also help somewhat, and is RAW.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground

135 Wizards all casting Magic Missile is broken anyway you slice it, as well.
    ~ Thanks to Crimmy for Richardtar ~

12. - Top - End - #12

Yeah, leadership is insanely broken. The best way to play, and the way I always play it, is that the followers and possibly the cohort are always off-screen, and never really have a huge in-game impact, so it's more of a fluff feat than anything.
    RIP Gary Gygax, March 4th, 2008. May he roll 20's in heaven forever.
    RIP Dave Arneson, April 7th, 2009. He roleplays his way into our hearts.
    Avatar by Banjo1985, the Awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by havocfett
    Quote Originally Posted by My self
    I'll throw in my hat as a Dwarf Warlord//Were-Dire Badger, going into Dwarven Defender and Deepwarden from Races of Stone. Is that cool?
    ...I'm not sure the vocabulary exists in the english language to express how much I approve of this concept.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Halna LeGavilk View Post
    Yeah, leadership is insanely broken. The best way to play, and the way I always play it, is that the followers and possibly the cohort are always off-screen, and never really have a huge in-game impact, so it's more of a fluff feat than anything.

Or you could simply treat it like real organizations of such massive scale. Make it so that if they want to use your followers you have to deal with the hassle of actually communicating with them all, organizing them, dealing with setbacks over a massive battlefield... And while they do that in notes talk to the rest of the party about the adventure.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AvatarZero View Post
    I like the "hobo" in there.
    "Hey, you just got 10000gp! You going to buy a fully staffed mansion or something?"
    "Nah, I'll upgrade my +2 sword to a +3 sword and sleep in my cloak."

Non est salvatori salvator, neque defensori dominus, nec pater nec mater, nihil supernum.

Torumekian knight Avatar by Licoot.

Note to self: Never get involved in an ethics thread again...Especially if I'm defending the empire.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

How broken leadership is depends on the GM. If the GM allows you to have a wizard that YOU build fully optimized AND control, then that is out of whack. Of course, that has more to do with the wizard being overpowered than the leadership feat...
    Of course, attracting a cohort of a particular class gives a penalty to your effective leadership score, and the player shouldn't get total control over their cohort. Assuming the cohort in question is a reasonably balanced character, then leadership doesn't end up being terribly game breaking. That's also considering the fact that your cohort won't always be only 2 levels below you, unless you invest a lot in boosting your CHA.
    Now, if the GM allows the player to have full control over their cohort, who happens to be a wizard in a game with no house rules/wizard nerfs, then that is completely game breaking, but at that point, you are handling cohorts incorrectly. And, of course, if you are allowing wizards without any sort of nerf to casters, the game balance is already toast anyways.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, followers-wise, the level you get them, the majority are just cannon-fodder, since anything you'd be fighting at those kinda levels can easily kill them (remember, the vast majority are level 1), and they'd only do anything on a nat 20, so really Magic Missile would be the only really effective method. Any area of effect abilities the enemy has can easily kill them (Blasphemy for example is around at the level you need to get an amount of followers around 135 - using Venerable Dragonwought and a +6 item, you need to be level 14 to get the 24 leadership score needed for 133 followers, barring special conditions, I guess - and it will annihilate most your followers outright, leaving the rest crippled, since they would all come under the 'up to caster level -5' section - and they take up space that you may need to operate (if you're in any places with enclosed spaces, you'll have trouble bringing those forces to bear). Also, you need to support them, and when followers die, your leadership score drops, likewise if you don't treat them well.

It's the cohort that's the real problem, since he's of a level where he can do some serious stuff, especially if he's a high-tier class.
    Last edited by Volthawk; 2011-08-19 at 05:39 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

.... So the way to balance it would be to make the cohort weaker and make the followers stronger but less numerous?

...Intresting. Perhaps if you made follower levels scale... (*Takes notes for his leadership-based Ruler class*)
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2011-08-20 at 02:29 AM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

17. - Top - End - #17

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    .... So the way to balance it would be to make the cohort weaker and make the followers stronger but less numerous?
    Without further restrictions, it's pretty much impossible to balance regardless of the nerfs to the cohort. Either you tone it down so much that the wizard or cleric people grab with it isn't worth more than the feat it costs, thereby turning every other class choice that isn't a fullcaster into utter garbage, or you keep the other classes competitive and people grab a fullcaster anyway.

It's just a broken concept from start to finish. Even if you restrict it to NPC classes, people will always take the Adept over, say, a Warrior, and with good reason.
    Dealing with massive extended family DRAMAAAAA, posting slow to nonexistent until issues resolved.

Avatar by the wonderful Ceika. Many praises be unto she.

Live your life without regrets.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I was gonna start the class having only commoners to help him, and eventually getting experts, warriors, aristocrats and finally adepts, and maybe a few more N.P.C classes.

Maybe also restricting the cohorts to N.P.C classes and having them get occasional bonuses, like another spell or sneak attack damage.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

Personally, I'd adjust the leadership table so that max cohort level is leadership / 2.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Lord View Post
    135 Wizards all casting Magic Missile is broken anyway you slice it, as well.
    Not when the enemy has unsurpassable (for them) SR, it isn't. Also, restricting followers to NPC levels would solve that quite nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Circle of Life View Post
    Without further restrictions, it's pretty much impossible to balance regardless of the nerfs to the cohort. Either you tone it down so much that the wizard or cleric people grab with it isn't worth more than the feat it costs, thereby turning every other class choice that isn't a fullcaster into utter garbage, or you keep the other classes competitive and people grab a fullcaster anyway.
    That's just another way of saying "wizards and clerics are too powerful and therefore unabalanced". Without fixing that, Leadership is the least of your worries.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

If a PC takes leadership and then asks for 135 wizards, my first response would be to ask where he is recruiting them from. The only place where you will likely find that many low level wizards in one place is at a magic college, and 99% of them would rather continue their studies that go off with a relative unknown.

If then they somehow bludgeon me into accepting that request as "it is raw", I would then point out that by strict raw, NPCs can do that too, and do they have defence against 135 magic missiles. Or 135 charm persons for that matter (a natural 1 still fails a save, right?).

In my campaign, they still have to recruit these groups - whether followers or cohorts - from whoever they meet in-campaign. The feat allows them to upgrade their loyalty from hireling to cohort/follower.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
    If a PC takes leadership and then asks for 135 wizards, my first response would be to ask where he is recruiting them from. The only place where you will likely find that many low level wizards in one place is at a magic college, and 99% of them would rather continue their studies that go off with a relative unknown.

If then they somehow bludgeon me into accepting that request as "it is raw", I would then point out that by strict raw, NPCs can do that too, and do they have defence against 135 magic missiles. Or 135 charm persons for that matter (a natural 1 still fails a save, right?).

In my campaign, they still have to recruit these groups - whether followers or cohorts - from whoever they meet in-campaign. The feat allows them to upgrade their loyalty from hireling to cohort/follower.
    This is why I've simply done away with Leadership in my campaigns and allow my players to use Diplomacy to recruit people. So far, the ones they have recruited have generally been criminals they've freed from prison or bards that became interested in their stories.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries