Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 352
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default European Game (IC)

    March 1, 1000

    It is a lovely Spring day in Reykjavik--however lovely those can get, of course. The flowers are blooming once again, the mushrooms grow tall from the earth, and the sun is slowly settling into its lazy summer halo around the sky.

    The shipments of timber and other supplies from Norway have begun in earnest, and there seem to be more adventurer-types than normal arriving this year.

    The harbor belches steam into the air, suffusing the city with wispy, if smelly, tendrils of clouds.

    Clerics of all gods bustle throughout the city, with some particularly audacious ones preaching on hills and street-corners.

    Despite the general sense of uneasiness, there is one exceptionally good thing about this day--fresh meat. The time has finally come to slaughter the year's first livestock. After a winter of eating whey-cured goat and fermented shark, real food is here again. The local go∂ar was kind enough to donate two entire cows among the various bars and restaurants.

    The Hroturwurm Mead-Hall is well known as having some of the best roasts in Iceland, so it should be no surprise that it is full to bursting right now. The lucky dozens have gotten seats at the table; the rest must stand, or take theirs to go.

    Among these lucky ones sit Bjortak Thorndalsson, the Dwarf; Radulfr Dalgaard, a young man with a glint of trickery in his eyes; Solveig Sigurdursdóttir, trusted priestess of Hermod; Njåll Tahllas, a young, sickly elf; and Au∂r, a young human woman with the look of wisdom beyond her years.

    Relative strangers (although nobody's really too much of a stranger here), they nonetheless ended up seated next to each other, eating beef from trenchers and most likely drinking some sort of mead or ale.
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Having failed in a crucial task vital for her clergy Solveig sits in her chair brooding, fighting the past battle in her thoughts over and over again. She's completely oblivious to the joyous people around her.
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Aislinn

    Like Solveig, Aislinn did not share in the joys of most of the crowd nearby. Although she had not been present in Iceland for much of its winter, she understood why one would celebrate the oncoming spring.

    No, she was moody because of the temperature. Her journeys across the isle of the Britons - and what a joke that name was now, ha! - had given her just long enough to get accustomed to a winter where stout boots alone could keep one clear of the snow.

    Now, she was back under multiple layers of fur, shivering away to herself despite the heat of the harbour. Privately, she admitted to herself that things could have been worse - she did not know why the water around this strange land was so much warmer than it had any right to be, but she was thankful the extra heat was there.

    She remembered the words of one of the Sveari she had met as a child - that she, in her winter clothes, resembled nothing so much as a malnourished bearling preparing to hibernate.

    To be honest, if she'd been able to hibernate, it's a choice she may well have taken.

    Instead, she was here, nursing a small quantity of mead and filling up on fresh(ish) meat for the first time since she sailed from the Pict lands.

    While she had initially displayed a great appetite, after a few minutes this had subsided, until by now she was only collecting scraps of the beef - and most of those were being eaten, not by her, but by the Raven perched on her shoulder. If anything, the Raven looked even worse at ease here than its master did, but it had a warm perch half-buried in the furs on Aislinn's left shoulder and was disinclined to leave it.

    At length, even the Raven was satisfied. With little else to occupy her time, Aislinn glanced around at the others on her table. Then she muttered (apparently directed to her Raven, but loudly enough for the others to hear, if they wished to): "I still do not know why we are here, little Fróðleikr. I wish the reason will present itself soon, hm? That way, I may be able to go somewhere warm in time for summer..."

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Bjortak

    For a few minutes, the dwarf absent mindedly sipped on whatever passes for a good alcoholic beverage at those parts. Then, as if his break was over, he let excess drops run down his beard as he took a break to examine his surroundings and listen to the conversations around him. Oh his shoulder, a dark shape stirred, whispering its own observations into his ear. It was Flokt, his bat friend.

    In the human lands, everything was so new and exciting. Even the ale was different - albeit, taking another sip, he had to admit, not for the better. Hearing the young woman complain in what seemed like boredom and indecision, made him raise a thick eyebrow. How could anyone be bored in a place like this?

    Excuse me, miss? He gathered the courage to socialize, leaning possibly too close for comfort (he never got the hang of this 'social distance' thing), but I could not help overhearing. What makes you think there is a reason? Other than your own choice, that is.

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Solveig wakes from her day-dreaming, taking a good look at the people sitting at her table.
    "Ah, excuse me... Aislinn isn't it? I overheard your name as you talked to our marvellous innkeeper over there at the counter. Pardon my curiosity but how come you're not accustomed to the cold?"
    Last edited by SleepyBadger; 2011-08-28 at 02:29 AM.
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Aislinn
    "Why do I think there is a reason for being here? Why, simple. I came here under orders. Frustratingly vague ones, I admit, but still under orders."

    But then, Odin's always like that. Making me work out what I should be doing instead of relying on him to provide instructions. I think it amuses him.

    "And at no point did I say I was unused to the cold. I implied that I dislike the cold. Important distinction."

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Radulfr
    Radulfr is enjoying his mead and roasted meat after a hard winter, though not too hard thanks to his natural charm and other less savoury skills. He is on the look out for some fun when he hears some of his neighbors on the benches strike up a conversation.
    "I agree with Aislinn, the cold is unavoidable but it doesn't mean we have to like it" and then adds, almost as an after thought "By the way my name is Radulfr happy to know you"
    Last edited by JollyChris; 2011-08-28 at 06:24 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South East England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Njåll

    "Well i for one detest the cold" a thin and frail looking elf interjects "My body is quite vulnerable to its ravages" he continues before a sudden coughing fits seizes him "Like so" he says with a somewhat forced smile.
    Last edited by Burnheart; 2011-08-29 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    "My name is Solveig", the charming priestess says. "Nice to meet you all. Can I help you with that cold?", she asks turning to the elf.
    Last edited by SleepyBadger; 2011-08-28 at 04:58 PM.
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    The clamoring in the hall gets louder. A human with red hair bumps into Bjortak, spilling what's left of his ale. The excitement seems to be coming from outside.
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Hey! Is this how you greet visitors here?! Bjortak jumps on his feet, stretching as tall and wide as his dwarven frame allows. In other words, more wide than tall.

    Now, what in the name of Sygin's snake is going on?

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    "Great Gudrun's ghost, you startled me," the redhead says. "I'm heading outside like everybody else--everybody else who isn't hurrying inside, that is."

    Shouting can be heard from outside the mead hall.
    "I see no way around this..."
    "Let them be killed tomorrow, then, but tie them securely now!"
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Radulfr hears shouts from outside the hall."Sounds like something exciting is going on" he smiles and looks at the nearby group "Anyone else coming to see whats going on?"

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South East England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Njåll

    "Is there anything better to do around here?" Njåll asks with a shrug before standing "We may as well take a look at least"
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Nodding, Solveig follows the others outside.
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Bjortak

    His curiosity thoroughly piqued, the dwarf joins the crowd heading outside. Wreaking horrible vengeance on the stupid oaf who spilled his drink will wait.

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    The group pushes its way out of the mead hall and comes to a crowd assembled around the remnants of a fight. Two human men stand apart from each other, restrained by their kin, swords and axes laying on the ground.

    In between them lies a slain elf, blood soaking through his fine garments, a large bronze seax protruding from his chest. Clerics tend to the remains with oils and essences.

    A group of elves stand nearby with their hands on their sword hilts, talking amongst themselves. In the front, an older elf stares down the two men.

    The two men scream furiously at one another. "That is NOT mine!" "He PLANTED that!" "By Thor's goats I will have you pay!" "You will bear God's wrath!"

    It is, in general, a tense scene. The crowd mutters rumors.
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Solveig steps forward. "What's happening here?" she asks calmly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OoC: Diplomacy - (1d20+11)[21]
    Last edited by SleepyBadger; 2011-08-30 at 05:31 PM.
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South East England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Njåll

    Upon seeing the dead elf Njåll quickly draws his swords and starts glaring at everyone "What happend?" he demands angrily.
    Last edited by Burnheart; 2011-08-30 at 07:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Bjortak gives both men a glance under his eyebrows. They both look the same to him. For the time at least, he doesn't really care which one of them did it, and whether both will be hanged. True to the habit of making his own agenda, he scans the men, the murder weapon, the elves, and the rest of the crowd, in that order, with Detect Magic.

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Quote Originally Posted by SleepyBadger View Post
    Solveig steps forward. "What's happening here?" she asks calmly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OoC: [roll0]
    A man standing on the outskirts of the fracas turns and walks up to Solveig.

    "That treacherous swine Ari over there is trying to frame my brother Hrafngorr for the murder of this elf." He shakes his head and spits on the ground. "If my sister had not decided to marry that man, my sword would give the ground his blood to drink right now."


    Quote Originally Posted by burnheart
    Njåll

    Upon seeing the dead elf Njåll quickly draws his swords and starts glaring at everyone "What happend?" he demands angrily.
    The crowd backs away from Njåll as men from both sides also draw and turn to face him. "Stay out of this, elf. These are human affairs. Do as your elders do." He tilts his head back towards the stoic group of elves.



    Quote Originally Posted by vladislav
    Bjortak gives both men a glance under his eyebrows. They both look the same to him. For the time at least, he doesn't really care which one of them did it, and whether both will be hanged. True to the habit of making his own agenda, he scans the men, the murder weapon, the elves, and the rest of the crowd, in that order, with Detect Magic
    As his powers add a new sense to his mind, Bjortak examines all the involved parties. There are magical auras present...

    ...faint, and many of them. Some of the humans carry... nothing more than holy symbols. The elves carry the most, in their beings and on their bodies, and the victim carries the weak, deteriorating glow of an old spell.

    Bjortak is particularly drawn to the seax, which also radiates a faint aura, and seems... familiar, somehow.
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South East England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Njåll

    "A human affair?" Njåll replies sharply "I think not, an elf has been slain and dumped in the street like garbage" he glowers at the leader of the elves "and you let him claim its a human affair?"
    Last edited by Burnheart; 2011-08-31 at 02:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Aislinn
    Finally catching up with the others, Aislinn lays a hand on Njåll's shoulder. And quickly, she begins to whisper.

    Spoiler
    Show

    "If you should at a crowd of angry people, all you will achieve is increasing the number of dead elves. Possibly you will take some humans down with you, but this will hardly make you any less dead, will it? Check your temper and still your blade. Neither are useful here. Yet."


    At a somewhat higher volume, Aislinn starts addressing the crowd in general. "If you are disagreeing about the truth of what happened mere minutes ago, would I be correct in assuming that none of you - save perhaps those accusing one another - saw in any detail what happened?"

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    SleepyBadger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GMT +2
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Solveig turns to the man addressing her. "Did you see the event happen?"
    Supercool badger-avatar by Xander Morhaime.

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    San Jose, CA

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Bjortak strides forward and stands next to the body and the two accused. So, you both say the other planted the weapon? he asks, looking up at them. He does not wait long for an answer, nor does he care, merely attempt to establish himself as an investigator of sorts. If they do answer, he nods thoughfully, if not, oh well.

    He then looks down to examine the seax. Unless physically prevented, he pulls it out of the body and gives it a good look-over. His knowledge of magic was rudimentary at best; a bookish wizard could have done a better job.

    Spoiler
    Show
    Spellcraft to examine aura (1d20+4)[8]

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Radulfr
    Radulfr addresses the angry man who came to speak to Solveig "Why would Ari try to frame his future brother in law when it would only cause strife with his future family?"

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    "A human affair?" Njåll replies sharply "I think not, an elf has been slain and dumped in the street like garbage" he glowers at the leader of the elf "and you let him claim its a human affair?"
    Aislinn
    Finally catching up with the others, Aislinn lays a hand on Njåll's shoulder. And quickly, she begins to whisper.

    At a somewhat higher volume, Aislinn starts addressing the crowd in general. "If you are disagreeing about the truth of what happened mere minutes ago, would I be correct in assuming that none of you - save perhaps those accusing one another - saw in any detail what happened?"
    There is some general muttering before Ari speaks.

    "I was in that bu∂ haggling with the elf when that dugga Hrafngorr came in and began lecturing me about my spending. MY spending! A fight broke out and blades were drawn. Hrafngorr must have slipped that seax--that I've NEVER seen before--into the poor elf during the struggle. Our fight continued outside where we were stopped by these kinfolk, but not before that wretch could slip some wares he stole from the elf into my pouch!"

    The two men resume hurling insults, though with less relish than before.

    Solveig turns to the man addressing her. "Did you see the event happen?"
    "I did not. But there are several ways of dealing with this. These heathens probably want to do some kind of augury, though Hrafngorr and I would see it settled at court."

    Radulfr addresses the angry man who came to speak to Solveig "Why would Ari try to frame his future brother in law when it would only cause strife with his future family?"
    "I've always guessed he plans to steal Ásdis away to a farmstead here and never see us again. He seems to think we've mistreated her. Ari's a wrathful beast, ask anybody."

    He then looks down to examine the seax. Unless physically prevented, he pulls it out of the body and gives it a good look-over. His knowledge of magic was rudimentary at best; a bookish wizard could have done a better job.
    You have not learned enough about magic to even begin to guess, though you do notice a flame etched into the hilt, which is not the same as the fire symbol of Loki.
    Live via satellite...

    Planswalker: here is Marqhu, everyone's favorite illithid abomination!

    Prendre: ACK KILL IT KILL IT WITH FIRE

    Planswalker: see, everyone's favorite!


    Check out my webcomic Against Stupidity, a tale of supernatural horror and bureaucratic incompetence.

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    BlackDragon

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Southeast England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Radulfr

    Radulfr looks at Ari while he's speaking and tries to determine if he's lying.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sense motive check: (1d20+6)[12]


    He then turns to Hrafngorr's brother and says loudly enough for Ari and Hrafngorr to hear. "Why does Ari think you've been mistreating your sister?"

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Daemon

    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    South East England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Njåll

    Muttering darkly Njåll does as Aislinn suggests and sheathes his swords. Then after everyone has finished talking he says "So no one saw who killed him" Njåll points to his dead kin "and you two are arguing about not only who killed him but who stole from him as well?" Njåll narrows his eyes "Or maybe you both did it together?" he says with a smirk.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Planetar

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    England

    Default Re: European Game (IC)

    Aislinn
    "Calm yourself, Njåll. Were this a co-ordinated act, they would not accuse each other - for their testimony would have one or other of them found guilty of murder, and either exiled or killed by the victim's kin. Indeed, were their testimony believed then one of them is both a murderer and completely incapable of escaping - and as the other is also under suspicion, escape with the 'loot' would be nearly impossible. You must admit, it would be a counter-productive plan, whether they intended theft or murder...

    Understand, I am not saying that both are innocent. Or that either is innocent. Just that this was no planned conspiracy.

    In truth, from the story they tell, I would guess that some unseen third party stuck the blow while the two were involved in their altercation: That in consequence, neither was sure who had struck the fatal blow, and both took the opportunity to blame their rival in order to save themselves. Either taking the coward's way out, or demonstrating a deep-lying hatred between the two that would have torn their extended family asunder sooner or later.

    Still, this is only based so far on their testimony that neither of them remembers the Seax in question as belonging to the other. I suppose we should come up with some means of testing this before we go as far as apportioning absolution.
    "

    ...yeah, Aislinn can talk. But now that she's finished talking for the moment, she moves over to Bjortak's side and examines the Seax herself.

    Spoiler
    Show

    Not sure which of these is relevant, but...
    "Knowledge (Arcana)" - (1d20+8)[17]
    "Knowledge (Religion)" - (1d20+8)[14]
    "Lore" - (1d20+3)[8]
    Last edited by whoiam; 2011-08-31 at 03:33 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •