New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Tide of Pain [Deathwatch]: IC

OOC Thread is Here

You stand on the viewing platform of the Battleship Invictus and look down upon the planet Charadon, even from orbit the scars of war are visible.

Cutting across the Northern hemisphere, almost from pole to equator, there is a massive scar carved into the earth. A line of trenches and fortifications that holds back the green hoard. An infestation of Orks that have butchered their way across most of the northern continent of Kislev. The Imperial Guard have layered their fortifications across the south-east coast and have, for now, stopped the advance of the Waaagh and halted its attack on the hive cities of Karath the larger continent to the south.

You can see why you are here, far behind the battle-lines you see a massive excavation project, something visible from space. You have never seen anything on this scale before, especially done by Orks.

Impressive, is it not? says a soft voice behind you. You turn around to see a figure descending the stairs into the Viewing Platform. You are impressed that this mortal can sneak up on this many Superhumans. It is a construction that even I, with my vast experience, cannot explain or understand. he looks at each of you in turn, unseen eyes behind an elaborate silver mask meet yours and you feel their power. I find myself needing the assistance of persons with skills that are... different from mine.
    Last edited by Hawkfrost000; 2011-08-28 at 01:13 AM.
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Tide of Pain [Deathwatch]: IC

Saint Lilian looked at the site, confusion running through her blessed mind. She turned at the voice, arching an eyebrow. Her wings were tucked behind her, but beside the Space Marines, Lilian looked slight, lithe. She smiled at the mysterious commander of this Deathwatch.

"My lord, your need must be great to call upon so great a coterie of soldiers. How may we help you?"
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2011-08-29 at 12:37 PM.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

Avatar from the NSFW webcomic, Go Get a Roomie.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bjorn has his eyes fixed directly on the excavation project, looking through starship metal and glass, the void of space and the sky of the planet to focus on something the Librarian, in all his experience, has never seen before.

He stands firmly as he studies it, the staff that is the symbol of who and what he is held at his side. He doesn't turn as the figure approaches them from behind but his mouth twitches in a faint smile as he's impressed by the skilled approach.

"We understand why you called for the Deathwatch now. This is of great concern."

He levels his staff, the tip pointing at the construction, far, far below them. "The Orks only care for war, nothing else is important to them. Either something has changed their nature, which I would call impossible, or they re being driven by another force, one unseen."

He grimances. "And one cunning enough to use Orks to shield itself from view. Not only do the brutes block more mundane senses, but they cloud my vision. I cannot learn anything of this event at such a distance."

He finally turns, staff tapping on the floor. "How did they infest this world? A rok? Were there other signs, events?"

He offers the Saint beside him a slight smile, inclining his head. "We have an enemy to expose little sister. And Orks in our path."

He grinned faintly to show his fangs, experience and loss not enough to rob the Space Wolf of his passion for battle.
    Last edited by Donan; 2011-08-28 at 01:53 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

Juviel smiles. "When I fought the Orks on Baal, we slew them to the last. We will defeat this infestation with the same vigor."

5. - Top - End - #5

Brother-Apothecary Daur stands with his helmet under his left arm, gazing analytically down on the world below. At the newcomer's words, he turns and waits expectantly.

Daur is a serious looking man with short black hair, greying at the edges. A thin scar crosses his left eye, and a fifty year service stud is set on his brow. His armor bears the white color and double helix markings of the apothecarion on his right kneepad, helmet, forearms, and backpack. His right shoulderpad bears the mark of the Knights Sentinel: a burning candle on a dark grey field, edged with blue.
    Last edited by Telasi; 2011-08-29 at 12:50 PM.
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

6. - Top - End - #6

The masked figure nods to Bjorn War moves this Waaagh, so i believe it is reasonable to believe that this... project he gestures to the massive pit is some form of weapon, possibly of Xenos origin or even from the Dark Age of Technology. he turns back towards you, reflected light from the planet hiding his masked face in shadows A weapon i will not permit them to have.

He gestures to each of you in turn That is why you are here, Angels of Death and Servants of the Emperor. Masters of War.

I want you to destroy the creature behind this project, and bring me its head.

7. - Top - End - #7

"It is suspected, then, that the Orks themselves are seeking this artifact on behalf of a greater foe? If so, is it more likely that this is the work of the Archenemy, or that of a different xenos race? We will require any data available on the site itself, as well."
    Snickett avatar by me.

I draw custom OotSatars. I'm wearing one now, and you can check out samples in my Gallery.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

"Hm. I agree Brother Apothecary. The Archenemy may well be at work here, but I would also suspect the Eldar, they have a perchent for deception and maniuplation."

The Librarian grunted. "But I won't spend time making more guesses, I'll divine what this is soon enough."

He turned to face the masked figure again. "I need all the information you have on the history of this planet. And given the nature of the happenings here we need to be sure of your devotion to the Allfather."

He raps the end of his staff on the metal floor with a ringing thud, the tip beginning to glow with a faint blue light as his eyes do the same. "No harm will come to you, but I will see you."

Spoiler
    Show
    Reading. (Unfettered). Target of 77
    (1d100)[65]

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Watching from the back of the group, Brother Ezekiel assesses the mood of the team. They are eager to purge the filth from this planet, as is fitting. Once again he faces the Orkish hordes. The Unstoppable Force. The Tide of Green. His nerve did not falter before, and he would not falter again.

Stepping forward, he addresses the squad, "Brothers, once again we face the Green Horde. Their infestation of this planet has obviously bitten deep. It is time they know why they call us the Angels of Death."
    Thanks to The Randomizer for the great Eldar Ranger Avatar!!!

10. - Top - End - #10

A serene peace took Lilian's face as her eyes closed, the holy energies of the Emperor sweeping through her body. Her own staff also closed, the faint appearance of a great glaive appearing at one end, and her wings unfurled from behind her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Invocation Test
    Willpower + Staff = Target 88
    (1d100)[50]

Fettered Paragon Focus Power Test
    Willpower + Psychic Hood = Target 78
    (1d100)[24]

"My grace is your grace; my willpower, your own. Allow the Holy God-Emperor to embrace you, guide you, and through His servant, partake in His glory." A wave of psychic energy extended out about twenty meters from her, affecting four of her compatriots. They were now able to use any of her characteristics in lieu of their own, if they had the inclination to. She opened her eyes and smiled at them. "Brothers, please ask your questions of our commander. When we are ready, I would like to speak with you."
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2011-08-29 at 06:16 AM.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

11. - Top - End - #11

Hannibal
    As the conversation goes on the Techpmarine stands far in the back away from the others, he knew they sometimes didn't like looking at his unusual armour with the respirator, power claw, wards, and sigils of the Adeptus Mechanicus. At long last over pondering the issue Techmarine Hannibal can stay silent no longer, his voice has an odd mechanical drone to it "I doubt these orcs are behind it. They've seemingly come to an evolutionary standstill long ago. If some dark powers have given them focus we should all pray to the Omnissiah." He pauses before continuing to speak, choosing his words carefully "When we find this lost technology or even modern technology as the case may be. What do you intend to do with it?"
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2011-08-29 at 09:25 AM.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

Deny a monochrome future!!! -Radio Gosha-

12. - Top - End - #12

"This Waagh, Which warboss leads it? What do we know about him and his previous battles?"

13. - Top - End - #13

My sources tell me that the Waaagh is led by a Cybork named Durog Gutwort, he and a trio of Big Mechs have armed and organised the Waaagh into an impressive fighting force. They have won several battles against the Imperial Guard during the opening stages of the war through use of Blitzkrieg tactics. However thanks to reinforcements of the 57th and 234th Cadian Armored Companies the Guard managed to turn them back. He looks down at the planet Now we sit at a stalemate, one that will be shattered if the Orks get their hands on that weapon. We must find it and destroy it.

Bjorn

Spoiler
    Show
    You can feel hundreds of thousands... possibly millions of Orks. They are an ocean of anger and hatred. Your psychic sense sharpens and you focus on the largest and most powerful mind you can find. For a few seconds you have difficulty finding it, like you are pushing through a thick black curtain. But then there it is; a mind full of rage, but controlled rage bent and harnessed rather than running wild. But more than that you can feel strength, his body and mind are immensely strong, beneath this you can feel the more subtle presence of an impressive intellect, for an Ork. This creature is like a Sledgehammer or Maul, a slow and massive weapon but one that can be used with a certain degree of precision.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Halfling in the Playground

Leonatos silently glares at the planet. He stands with his arms crossed, feeling a great sense of hatred, and excitement at the prospect of shedding alien blood, he licks his lips with anticipation, and listens to the group.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    Now we sit at a stalemate, one that will be shattered if the Orks get their hands on that weapon. We must find it and destroy it.
    "Then let us begin. This planet has suffered the presence of this xeno filth for far too long..."

Leonatos says with a calm, dignified voice.
    Last edited by Hierarchy9990; 2011-08-29 at 08:57 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Bjorn wrapped himself in silence for a few minutes, attention focused on the mind of the Ork who led all the rest. A dangerous foe, and either a most unique Ork, or one that somehow been tampered with.

His instincts told him that another enemy hid here, one cunning and careful, and that only a risk of their plans would lead to them being drawn out.

"You call it a weapon. What else do you know of it?"

16. - Top - End - #16

Hannibal
    "Destroy it? What if it's a sacred engine of the Imperium they seek to corrupt? If we make it in time it could still be plausible that it can be saved. Such a weapon in the hands of the Imperium would be devastating for our foes and boost moral greatly. If it can be saved, I urge you to consider it a possibility until we see it."
    Last edited by Gamgee; 2011-08-30 at 12:27 PM.
    They say hope begins in the dark, but most just flail around in the blackness...searching for their destiny. The darkness... for me... is where I shine. - Riddick

Exile

17. - Top - End - #17
    Halfling in the Playground

Leonatos looks at the Techmarine. "Don't you think they would have already considered salvaging it, if it was possible?"
    Last edited by Hierarchy9990; 2011-08-30 at 03:21 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

Very little I am afraid. He raises both hands and silver light begins to sculpt pictures as he speaks Several Xenology experts have catalogued several hundred Xenos ruins, mostly concentrated in the northern continent. My colleagues in the Ordo Xenos and I have concluded that it is most probable that the Artifact is a relic of their civilization. Pictures of strange crystalline architecture fill the air This civilization was destroyed during the Great Crusade and their planet was purged and populated by Man.

If my suspicion proves correct then we must destroy this Xenos artifact so it can never be turned against us.

19. - Top - End - #19

Lilian nodded, despite trying to let the others speak. She was aware of the Deathwatch's history and origins, and her involvement in it was extremely abnormal. She did not wish to engender disunity within the squad. Anything less than absolute faith in the Emperor and one another would lead to failure, and that was something Lilian would not tolerate. So she simply nodded and allowed the others to speak, to continue to unify in their nascent lust for battle.
    Last edited by Lucretia; 2011-08-30 at 05:13 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

OOC: you do know that the Emperor and the Omnissiah are the same god according to imperial dogma right?

Almost as if the figure can hear Lilian's thoughts he turns to her and you think he might me smiling. You are correct in wondering why i brought you here. An inquisitive mind is a dangerous one, but also a useful one.

The Order of the Burning Diamond has several monasteries in the various hive cities of Charadon. Despite objections from the Lord Commander they have deployed themselves alongside the Imperial Guard. I'm told their Immolators have made an excellent addition to the Armored Companies, there are even reports of a Living Saint leading the crew of an Immolator. The reports are unverified, but given you arrival my superiors have instructed me to look into the matter. But I digress... Cannoness Valeria herself asked me to send word to you, as she is a personal friend of mine having aided my acolytes in the pursuit of the Ork Warboss Jakar Bigteef, i saw no reason to deny her request.

21. - Top - End - #21

Spoiler
    Show
    I knew the Omnissiah was the Emperor, but I wasn't sure if that was the official creed or not. I have edited my post appropriately.

Lilian raised an eyebrow. "Another Saint? I can only hope to be given the chance, once our mission is complete, to verify the reports for myself. Regardless: what did the Cannoness wish for you to tell me? The rumors of another Saint, or perhaps a true message?"

22. - Top - End - #22

Spoiler
    Show
    Its heavily implied that they arent the same god, and that the Omnissiah is actually the Void Dragon; who is a C'tan. however according to the Imperial Cult the Emperor is the Omnissiah.

23. - Top - End - #23

Hannibal
    "If that's the case it seems unlikely recovery is possible, but I do hope you at least leave it as an option if we find some way to tame the machines alien spirits. Though I have my orders, destroy it. You need not doubt my purpose. Only informing you that the situation can change rapidly once on the ground." His breather lets out a puff of steam with a short hiss after he is finished speaking, it's one of the bulkier models. Though reliable.

Exile

24. - Top - End - #24

"You worry too much, brother Hannibal. If the machine can be preserved, it will be. If it must be sacrificed, then it will. All things are expendable in the name of the Imperium," Juviel whispers. "We will take this site, lord. You have the word of the deathwatch on that."

25. - Top - End - #25

Why would you want to preserve this alien technology? Is it not taught by the Cult Mechanicus that Xenos technology has no machine spirit and is thus an abomination? Such actions would seem profoundly... Heretical. the last word is spoken softly, like a stiletto sliding through flesh.

The Inquisitor turns his back on Hannibal looking instead at Lilian The Cannoness instructed me to inform you that as the Waaagh expanded they captured the tomb of the Holy Mother Divinestra, founder of their Order. It is of profound importance that they recover the shrine where she is buried.

26. - Top - End - #26

Daur steps forward to be between Brother Hannibal and the inquisitor, raising his right hand to cut off any further argument on the subject. "It is the province of the adepts of the Cult Mechanicus to determine precisely what uses of which technologies constitute tech-heresy. Those of us not initiated into that brotherhood would do well to defer to their wisdom in such matters. That said, we do not have the luxury of debating the orthodoxy of this particular artifact, particularly in the absence of any solid data concerning its nature and purpose. There remains an as yet unseen threat here that must be revealed and eliminated before we may devote attention to other concerns. In the unlikely event that this machine survives the battle, it falls to the Adeptus Mechanicus to do with it as they see fit." The apothecary gives a stern look to both tech-marine and inquisitor.

Assuming neither chooses to continue that line of conversation, Brother Daur continues, directing his words at the inquisitor. "The watch captain has seen fit to dispatch this kill-team in accordance with your request for aid, with the understanding that this matter is urgent. If that is so, we waste time with pointless bickering. You will provide us with any and all data concerning our target, the excavation site and its environs, and the current disposition of military assets on both sides, to the best of your ability. You will then detail any objectives in addition to the termination of this unknown leader, along with any relevant intelligence. When that is complete, we will require a brief time to make ready to deploy. Are my requirements clear?"
    Snickett avatar by me.

27. - Top - End - #27

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: its tech heresy as explained int the OOC

The Inquisitor bows to Daur; the movement smooth, practiced and almost mocking. Of course my Lord the word drips with sarcasm. I will see you are provided with all that you need.

As you say, this is a matter of some urgency. I would... request that word is spoken as if it has not been used in a long time that you take no more then a day to prepare for your mission.

28. - Top - End - #28

Hannibal
    "Of course it teaches that. Just like we are taught the Inquisition is bereft of corruption. Though I should not think I as a Techpriest should not be in the position of giving you or your Inquisition advice on its members state of moral appropriateness. Just like you should hope to not give me or the Adeptus Mechanicus advice on alien weaponry and the destruction there of." His mechanical drone can only barely conceal the sharp tone he replies in. He turns his attention from the Inquisitor to the world down below. "I am fully prepared for the mission."

Exile

29. - Top - End - #29

Lilian closes her eyes and simply continues to provide the blessing of Paragon to the squad, considering how best to aid the Adepta Sororitas with their request without diverting from the mission at hand. She kept her thoughts off what was happening around her.

30. - Top - End - #30

The Inquisitor sighs I do not know what this Artifact is, thus I do not know how to destroy it. That is why you are here, I confess I would not survive long in the midst of a Waaagh.

If this Artifact is a relic of the Imperium, perhaps a Starship, then please salvage it, do so with my blessing. But if it is not; then I urge you to seek my council in what we should do with it.
    he pauses as if thinking then he bows again, to Hannibal, the gestur courtly and respectful I have read of your exploits, you enginuety and quick thinking proved to be your saving grace. I was impressed. But I caution you against believing that you have seen enough to call yourself an expert. I still find myself making that mistake. he touches his mask with a gloved hand, the gesture filled with regret.

I have seen and done much, perhaps too much. and yet the Xenos scum continue to find new ways to surprise me.