...at least give us the source for the information
    This acts as the spell magic missle.
    As I see it, the convention is met.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Default Re: [3.5 Class] The Familiar

Quote Originally Posted by Dryad View Post
    When using terminology instead of actually giving an explanation to what it does (try to avoid that, by the way) at least give us a source for the terminology and what it means in the original class.
    I'm specifically targeting 'Master's Power' and 'Master Melding' here. First off, you should explain how Master's Power' actually works (like you did with the Spellweaver you linked) and instead of 'Works like the Fusion power,' you should just tell us how it works. You could have written that it 'works like the Blahuderaghtargh power, and it would have told me just about the same.

The reason I come across as so testy is that, in systematic description, this is absolutely my pet peeve, and a mistake that is made too often (though admittedly, people do as their peers do, so you're not to blame for it... You should have been taught better).
    What Owrtho said. Also, I tend to write these things in my spare time, like when my laundry's going and such(seeing as I have a pretty busy schedule thanks to my classes most days), so it helps if I can shortcut a bit and reference an existing thing.

Now, all my testiness and negative feedback aside:

I LOVE your idea! This class, on the whole, is brilliant. :D
    I've played a familiar before, with a Gnome Sorceror companion (basically roleplaying the familiar, and using the humanoid character as if it were the Familiar's pet), but this class actually lets you team up with another player as a kind of intimate one-in-two thingy. :)
    Thanks.
    It's not quite clear on the bonding, though.. Does this class requires a bond to an arcanist? Because it doesn't actually say so, and it doesn't quite tell us how that works.
    I expect that is the case, though, but you might want to specify a bit more.
    I'd say it'd have to bond to any creature that can summon a familiar. Although this can be a bit broad, as I think even a fighter with spell-like abilities can get the Summon Familiar feat.

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post

As for the class. I'd suggest going through the familiar powers and noting which ones can be taken more than once. As it is, none of them seem to specifically say you can (though a few imply it by noting things like you can't select it again tills x levels have passed). Given how D&D works, unless something says it can be taken more than once, it can't. This means that things like the bonus feat (which would make sense to be repeatable), are one time only. Also on the Bigger Than You Thought ability you forgot part of the code to make it italic.

Owrtho
    There's many that say you can select this ability again, and whatnot. Still, thanks for the formatting notice.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil