1. - Top - End - #1
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

cool Mount & Stick v0.3 An OotS-inspired mod for Mount&Blade

ArcaneSaint Presents
    Mount & Stick
    An OotS-inspired mod for Mount & Blade

What is it?
    Mount and Stick is, as stated in the title, a module for Mount&Blade (NOT WARBAND), which brings the characters and locations of the popular webcomic The Order of the Stick into Mount&Blade. Each of the native factions has been replaced by a faction based upon the events and characters seen in the webcomic. If you haven’t read the webcomic, suffice it to say that this mod will contain spoilers (see below). All troop trees have been replaced, many new companions have been added, towns have been renamed (and eventually a completely custom map will be used).

About the mod
    This mod is VERY subject to change, as the lore on which it is based is not yet complete. As more sides are added to the epic struggle for the Gates (I’m thinking of the Dwarven Kingdom here) they will most likely be added/replace the current factions. According to the comic it also seems likely that one day there will be a split between Redcloak and Xykon, if/when this happens the “Xykon’s Horde” faction will most likely be split as well.

Disclaimer(s)
    This is the first time I have ever used the module system, so please don’t be too harsh, just enjoy the content that is already there and try to provide your own wherever you can (see “now hiring”). Also, if you want to contribute but I haven’t been clear enough in this post, feel free to ask me your questions, anytime.
    Legal Disclaimer: The Order of the Stick, OOTS, and all character names are trademarks of Giant in the Playground and are used here with explicit permission from the creator.
    Also, lots of credit to the Giant. And, if he, in all his Wisdom, takes offence with the existence of this mod, I will take it down, no matter how much it cries and begs for mercy.

Spoiler warnings
    This module contains, or will at some point in time (and space!) contain, spoilers about:
    * The free online available webcomic “The Order of the Stick”
    * The book “On the origin of PCs”, available for purchase via Ookoodook.com
    * The book ‘Start of Darkness”, available for purchase via Ookoodook.com
    I take no responsibility if your enjoyment of these comics has been ruined by playing the module. Though for the most part, it’s not really that much of a spoiler, and can often only be identified as being spoilerish if you’ve already read the comic that is being referred too (in which case you might also get the joke, as a bonus). Mostly however, reading OotS will increase your enjoyment of this mod, but not reading it won’t ruin it either.
    Even this post contains spoilers, many of which are NOT marked, continue reading at your own risk.

Installing/Uninstalling
    To install simply download the archive file located here: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3234, and extract it to your Mount&Blade\Modules (it contains the Mount&Stick folder, so you don't have to create it yourself)
    There used to be an installer, but apparently it didn't work for some people.

MODULE INFORMATION
    The Team
    Project Leader(s) - ArcaneSaint

Special Thanks to
    Rich Burlew AKA "the Giant" -- For making the "The Order of the Stick" webcomic
    Taleworlds -- For making Mount&Blade
    Talak -- Unique Armory (lots of models and new weapons such as the halberd)
    Janus -- Installer

What’s new?
    v0.3:
    *Fixed bug where a spellbook wasn't required to cast spells.
    *A new, slot-based Magic System.
    *An Easter Egg for the people from giantitp.com (you'll know it when you see it)

V0.2:
    *Fixed bug where “Animate Dead” and “Mass Heal” had infinite range.
    *Improved damage on Disintegrate, is now less useless but overpowered.
    *Made Xykon undead.
    * “Undead” can now be selected at character creation

V 0.1:
    * initial release

Features
    * Five unique nations, each with their own unique troops
    * Undead
    * Paladins
    * Undead Paladins (if you consider honor-bound ghosts of fallen paladins undead)
    * The Holey Brotherhood
    * New companions
    * New “art”-work
    * Magic, both strategic (cast on world map, like Overland Flight) and tactical (cast during battle, like Fireball) [Read "Magic" section for more information]

To Do
    * Custom map (see above)
    * More custom models, to make the factions resemble their in-comic counterparts.
    * Implementing custom skeletons (dwarfs, goblins, giants, etc.)
    * More companions
    * Balancing, lots of balancing (personally, I think Xykon’s horde is a little bit too weak in combat, but that should change once magic abilities are worked in/finalized)
    * Quests
    * A lot more.

Known bugs/exploits
    * The "wizard" selection at the beginning of the game is overpowered, that is because it was originally there for Bugtesting purposes (so I didn't have to buy my spells again every time I changed them) it gives you +10 arcane magic, and +LOTS of skill points. Game ruiner.
    * No limit on magic use, spamming Disintegrate==winning the battle.
    *Disintegrate overpowered, deals damage equal to 7*(Arcane skill level), ignores armor.
    * Using Owl’s wisdom gives you 4 skill points, but if you dismiss Owl’s wisdom after allocating these skill points you will end up with -4 skill points. This does not seem to cause any bugs or crashes though, so don’t panic.

Screenshots
    All screenshots are in spoilers, this won't improve loading times but will keep this thing readable.
    Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    The main menu, the only thing that changed here is the logo at the top. Also, one of the custom battles is the siege of azure city, and the first custom battle could be considered a spoiler from SoD, so start that one at your own risk.

Spoiler
    Show
    The factions screen, as you can see, all custom factions. No custom artwork for the factions yet though. But I'm sure the community can help with that, right?

Spoiler
    Show
    Me leading about 6 Ghost-Martyrs of the Sapphire Guard against a Hobgoblin patrol (reinforced by two Undead, zombies or ghouls)
    Also in the upper right corner is the spell selector, which reminds me I have to give detailed instructions about that, oops. Done.

Spoiler
    Show
    Me casting Disintegrate into the air, the effect fades away after 1~2 seconds, so I actually had to cast it thrice to capture this footage, I was moments to slow to take the screenshot before.

Spoiler
    Show
    An enemy Zombie, Ghoul or Wight charging at me. I left my Ghost-Martyrs behind so I could take some screenies. Yes, I know they have beards, but somehow the game crashes when I remove all their beards, I’ll look into it.

Me turning some enemy corpses into Zombies, yes the giant black clouds might cause some lag on slower systems, if you experience trouble I could make an option to toggle smoke effects on/off, shouldn’t be too hard to script, so I’ll do it anyway once the more pressing matters/bugs have been dealt with.

Spoiler
    Show
    This is something you don’t see every day, a paladin celebrating victory along with some undead abominations. Anyway, victory is ours, now onwards to confront Xykon himself!

Spoiler
    Show
    Here we are at Dorukan’s Dungeon, the main base of operations for Xykon. I try to solve the issue of me slaughtering their patrol by explaining I was actually just looking for the Holey Brotherhood gang that lurks in the nearby mountains, but couldn’t find them. It didn’t work and I had to bribe my way in.

Witness, the great lord XYKON, admittedly a bit disappointingly un-undead and without a crown, dressing the lords up wasn’t really high on the list of things I wanted to get done before initial release. NOTE: Xykon is now undead, so now his skin looks like the other undead creatures, if anyone knows a good skeleton skin let me know.

Also, Lord Shojo, how are you holding up old chap?

This is one of the travelling wizards that sell spells and spellbooks, the next image shows the purchase spells menu.

There, just select the spel you’d like to buy and voila, you just got ripped off by a (probably) drunk wizard, don’t you feel proud. Right now he sells everything you need, later divine spells will be sold by priests/clerics along with holy symbols.

The camp menu for casting spells, right now only a spellbook is required, later on divine spells will require a holy symbol.

In the left corner, Bozok, leader of the thieves guild. In the right corner, Nale, claimant of the CEBST. What dark conspiracies will come forth from the twisted, evil, criminal minds of these two villains, will they betray each other, will they finally exact revenge on those who wronged them? Find out in the next episode of… “Two guys in a room staring at walls”.

If my memory is correct (and it always is) the leftmost guy is Right-Eye, the one in the middle is Lors Daigo Da-, and the rightmost one is the Claimant of Somewhere.

And here I’m talking with Daimyo Kubota, who is telling his version of the facts of what happened at Azure City.
    That concludes all for now, have fun!

Now hiring
    We (At the moment, it’s just me actually) need:
    * Modelers who are able to create 3d models (and textures) and convert them into formats that can be “read” by Mount&Blade. You can probably find tutorials on the converting and implementing via the Taleworlds.com forums, under the Module Development subforum. I do not know if there are different procedures for models for M&B, Warband, or With Fire and Sword, try to make sure you follow the correct tutorials. I have no experience at all with creating 3d models, so I can’t be of much help there. The goal is to recreate the items/equipment seen in the comics as in-game items.

* Similar to the above, animators/modelers able to create skeletons for M&B, to create more variety between the races (ie: dwarfs, humans, goblins, giants, sylphs, etc).

* Playtesters, this means not only playing but also letting us know about bugs/exploits etc… Any advice on balancing will be greatly appreciated, as I didn’t really have much time to test the long-term effects of every change I made while creating the module.

* Map/area designers, to create custom cities, villages, castle and a custom overland map. Perhaps this page could be of assistance, also there are apparently detailed maps in books 3 and 4.

* Coders, ie: people who are able to perform advanced scripting with the python files that are used to compile M&B modules, specifically to recreate the effects of several magical spells (healing, teleporting, summoning, etc.) in-game. (It’s way more fun to do this myself, but help is always welcome)

* Writers, to write better dialogues for the custom companions and lords. No knowledge of the module system is required for this, you can write in any way/style you feel most comfortable in. Though if you would follow certain conventions (see spoiler) it would make integrating your writings into the game easier, but if you don’t want to I can modify it for you but some nuances may get lost in the transition. If the Giant himself would like to contribute (unlikely), that would be awesome.
    Spoiler
    Show
    This is the way introductory dialogue is shown by the game, I’ve given examples to clarify. If possible, divide the text for companions into these parts:
    1) Greeting (eg: would you care to share a drink with me?)
    1a)player response: positive (eg: please continue..)
    1b)player response: negative (eg: get your foul breath out of my face, fool!)
    2A) Backstory intro (eg: let me tell you my story…)
    2B) Backstory main (eg: I was the son of a wealthy family and next in line for the throne of my country. But alas, my jealous brother conspired with the nobles to kill father and me and take over the throne. I could barely escape with my life. Once I have enough money I will gather an army and one day I will return to my land, avenge my father and take back what is rightfully mine)
    2C) Backstory pitch (eg: But for now I must focus on honing my skills as a warrior, am I ever to hope overthrowing my brother. If you know someone who would hire a warrior and a noble, please let me know.)
    2a) player response: positive (eg: I am looking for able men, can you fight?)
    2b) player response: negative (eg: I wouldn’t know anyone like that.)
    3A)Signup part1 (eg: of course I can, I can defeat any man in honest duel)
    3B) Signup part2 (eg: I have learned the art of fencing from the greatest teachers known in these lands)
    3a) player response: positive (eg: Good, you will be useful)
    3b) player response: negative (eg: One-on-one combat only? Sorry, but you’d be better off in tournaments than on the battlefield.)
    4) payment (eg: sorry to bother you with this, but before we depart I will need 300 gp to settle my tab with the innkeeper.)
    4a) player response: positive (eg: Allright, take this and get ready, we leave at dawn!)
    4b) player response: negative (Seems to be hardcoded: “I can’t afford that right now”)
    There are also some additional lines, such as when the player meets the npc again after some time has passed, or when the npc wants to leave the player’s party, or when the party passes nears the npc’s hometown (or another location on the map), if you want to add some dialogue but are unsure how to proceed I could try to figure out what all code snippets mean, but it'll take some time.

GAMEPLAY INFORMATION
    The Nations
    There are five nations in Mount and Stick:
    1– The Azurite Kingdom, a nation known for its nobility, especially their infighting. Their military is focused on heavy cavalry (paladins), though they have some medium-level archers and foot soldiers.
    Claimant: Daimyo Kubota

2 – Xykon’s horde, the sworn enemy of the Azurite Kingdom. They do not possess any mounted troops, but their high-level undead can drain the life out of anyone they touch (not yet implemented). They focus on melee-combat, supported by small regiments of Hobgoblin archers.
    Claimant: Right-eye

3 – The Consolidated Empires of Blood, Sweat and Tears, a coalition of oppressive governments led by General Tarquin. This fascist empire is known for its efficient death squa– There are no assassins whatsoever in the Empire, only Amateur Snorkelers. Military is focused around tough melee guys and throwing weapons. It is also the only nation to use crossbows instead of bows.
    Claimant: Nale [depending on how the Tarquin/Haley’s father arc develops this might change to Haley’s father, whose name I forgot]

4 – The United Kingdom of Where, a coalition of the kingdoms of Nowhere, Anywhere, Somewhere and the democratic state of Someplace Else. They have a fairly average military, though their Royal Guards will make short work out of any cavalry.
    Claimant: Claimant of Somewhere [As you could have guessed, the UKW is sort of a generic-faction, a placeholder perhaps for future nations, such as the dwarves, the fate of the UKW is up to the community]

5 – The Thieves Guild, masters of deception and stealth. They will plunge their daggers into your flesh when you least expect it, and if they are faced in open combat they will rein death from above with their deadly archers. Thanks to their fighter outreach program they now have a solid means of protecting their archers.
    Claimant: Old Blind Pete
    Troop Trees
    (I hope you can read these, I couldn't get the indentation to work. They go from left to right, with each new indentation signifying an increase in troop tier)
    Azurites:
    Spoiler
    Show

--------------Archer
    -------Rogue
    --------------Ninja
    Recruit
    -------Fighter-----Spearman-----Paladin-----Paladin of the Sapphire Guard-----Ghost-Martyr of the Sapphire guard

X’s Horde:
    Spoiler
    Show

---------------------Hobgoblin Archer
    --------Hobgoblin recruit
    ----------------------Hobgoblin fighter
    Hobgoblin
    ------Zombie------Ghoul------Wight------Black Squadron Wight

Empire:
    Spoiler
    Show

-----------------Gladiator-----Arena Champion
    -------Bounty hunter
    -----------------Assassin-----Death Squad assassin-----Bleedingham Amateur Snorkeler
    Recruit
    -----------------Soldier-------Dragoon
    -------Guard
    -----------------Crossbowman

Kingdom:
    Spoiler
    Show

-------------------Horseman
    -------Soldier
    -------------------Archer
    Recruit
    -------Pikeman-----Honor guard-----Royal Guard

Guild:
    Spoiler
    Show

-----Rogue-----Archer-----Sharpshooter
    Recruit
    ----------Assassin
    -----Thug
    ----------Fighter

Special troops/unique abilities
    Thieves’ guild sharpshooters have an almost infinite supply of arrows (about 230), meaning they will almost never run out of ammo during a fight. But they’re useless in melee combat.

The Empire’s Arena Champions are the strongest men alive, having proved their worth in the numerous arenas of the Empire, but they don’t usually have good (or any) armor so they rely on a large reserve of health points to soak up damage.

Royal Guards from the United Kingdoms are the terror of every cavalry charge, their halberds tear through horsemen like a knife through butter, while their heavy armor protects them against the charge.

The Azurite Ghost-Martyrs are one of the most feared units on the battlefield, their holy weapons inflict massive damage while their incorporeal form makes them very resistant against any kind of damage.

But all of these pale in comparison to Xykon’s undead forces. The mere mention of them sends men running in fear, and if you face them in combat, their paralyzing and draining touch will leave you completely defenseless.

Characters
    Eventually, every named (and many unnamed) characters from the comic will make appearances in the mod. Right now only a few characters from the OotS cast in included, and for these characters there is still a lot of unwritten dialogue. Any contributions you can make will help.
    Characters that appear in the game (and the online comic):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Roy Greenhilt (OotS)
    Durkon Thundershield (OotS)
    Elan the Bard (OotS)
    Haley Starshine (OotS)
    Belkar Bitterleaf (OotS)
    Xykon (Team X)
    Redcloak (Team X)
    Tsukiko (Team X)
    The Hobgoblin General (seen in Strip 452) (Team X)
    The Monster in the Dark (Team X)
    Soon (Team A)
    Hinjo (Team A)
    Shojo (Team A)
    Daigo Da- (Team A)
    Kazumi Kato (Team A)
    Lien (Team A)
    O-Chul (Team A)
    King of Somewhere (UKW)
    King of Nowhere (UKW)
    King of Anywhere (UKW)
    Prime Minister of Someplace Else (UKW)
    Nale (Linear Guild)
    Crystal (Thieves’ guild)
    Hank (Thieves’ guild)
    Yor (Thieves’ guild)
    Toby (Thieves’ guild)
    George (Thieves’ guild)
    Tarquin (Empire)
    High Priest Malack (Empire)
    Miron Shewdanker (Empire)
    Kilkil (Empire)

SoD characters:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Right-eye

Magic System
    Ahh, the magic system, I’m really proud of this by the way, it was real fun to make. Although I should warn you, it’s still just a prototype. That is because I have come at a stage in the development that cannot be done without Community Inputtm. Let me explain, right now the magic system works this way: First you buy the spell (if your arcane/divine skill is high enough), then in combat you select it and cast it, there are no cooldowns or use limits. I now have the choice of changing it to either a system which has a cooldown between consecutive casts or I could make a system with “spell slots”, ie: every spell can only be cast X times (you’ll have to fill your spell slots in the camp menu). In the case of the latter it would be possible to make a “sorcerer” option at character creation, granting spontaneous casting.
    No matter which of these is chosen, it will be a lot of work, I’ll inevitably have to rewrite some pieces of code. That is why this decision is so important, as it will be very hard to change the system again after that.

In order to stay true to the OotS-verse mechanics the magic system will be a slot-based system. For every level in Arcane/Divine Magic you gain some spell slots for each spell level that you can then fill in at the camp menu (doing this takes 8 undisturbed hours of rest). NOTE: v0.2 and lower still use the old Magic System, the new one should be ready for 0.3 (unless a boatload of unexpected bugs are discovered and a quick patch is necessary)

How to use magic: In order to use magic, you must first acquire a spellbook, these can be bought from travelling wizards you’ll find in taverns. Those wizards also sell the spells you’ll want, but only if your skill-levels are high enough. To use a spell on the overworld, simply go to the camp menu and select “manage spells”, to use them in battle use b and v to cycle through your battle spells, and use g to cast them. Not all spells can be used during battle. The screenshots will show you more information.
    But enough about that, you want to see what spells you can cast, right? Well, here’s the (current) spell list. If you think a spell is missing feel free to submit it, if you do not think a spell is missing, you’re not thinking hard enough.

Magic System Overhaul details: See below in thread.

ARCANE SPELLS:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1 : Mage Armor (adds 20 to head, body and legs armor)
    Level 3: Bull’s Strength (adds 4 to Strength)*
    Cat's Grace (adds 4 to Agility)*
    Owl's Wisdom (adds 4 to Intelligence)*
    Eagle's Splendor (adds 4 to Charisma) *
    Level 5: Disintegrate (fires a thin, green beam in a straight line to where you’re looking, it deals damage, though I have yet to find a comfortable formula to determine the damage.)

*Only one of the four enchantments can be active at one time. Also, by spending the acquired skill points gained by Owl’s Wisdom you can end up with negative skill points when you dismiss Owl’s Wisdom

DIVINE SPELLS:
    Spoiler
    Show

Level 1: Purify Food and Drink (should restore “Rotten” meat to ordinary meat. Untested)
    Level 3: Mass Heal (heals entire party)
    Level 5: Animate Dead (when cast on world map: creates undead soldiers equal to your Divine level. When cast in battle creates these soldiers only if there are enough corpses left.)

Challenges

That’s right, challenges. In an attempt to lure people into providing quality content I the team has decided to introduce a system which challenges the members of the community into delivering specific pieces of artwork. The typical reward for these challenges is an honorary mention in the “Special Thanks” section. Note however that these challenges are (usually) only meant to get minor, but time-consuming, stuff done. Also, none of this stuff is of vital importance to the project, they are mostly esthetic value stuff. A list of current challenges can be found below.

What’s in a name?: The challenge: provide an original and catchy name for Mount and Stick. The winner will be decided via community poll after enough names have been submitted. The winning submission will become the new (and definitive) name for this mod and the name of the creator will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section
    Contestants:
    Spoiler
    Show
    1) Mount and Stick
    2)

A picture is worth a thousand words.: The challenge: provide the best OotS-inspired artwork possible for the main- and loading menu artwork. Right now the standard pictures (some guy on a horse, another guy on a horse, an archer on a horse etc.) are still displayed, but we’d like to see this changed to something more in-theme.
    The winning pieces will be displayed in-game, and the names of the creators will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section

Spread the word… In style: The challenge: create the best-looking Mount and Stick banner to put into a signature on forums. After all, what use is a project like this if you can’t automatically brag about it inform people about it in every post you make. The winning pieces (top three) will become available as banners (I’ll be making a new section for them) and the names of the creators will be mentioned in the “Special Thanks” section.

Now get cracking.

Legal notice: Please refrain from using any copyrighted, offensive or morally questionable material in your submissions. Violators will be shot.

Other forum threads
    Giantitp: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...php?p=11841719
    Taleworlds: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=187369

A final word
    I'd like to thank the Giant again for making the webcomic, and the whole community for being so nice which gives me the courage to post this without having to fear instead fiery death.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-09 at 07:47 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mount & Stick v0.2 An OotS-inspired mod for Mount&Blade

Okay folks, I'm putting this here to clear some things up.
    First: the next update (0.3) is taking me (quite a bit) longer than expected, this is because university has started which leaves me with little time to fix a very annoying bug in the new magic system. I would release it, but it would be lacking the "Animate Dead" spell (as casting that one kind of crashes the game).

Second: I've finally decided on the order of updates, and what the content'll be for the next 4 updates.
    Update 0.3 will contain the new magic system and an easter egg.
    Update 0.4 will add a lot of cosmetic changes to make the in-game characters resemble their web-comic counterparts more closely. I'll also finish up some companion-speech then.
    Update 0.5 will add the beginning of the main quest line, alongside some minor side-quests
    Update 0.6 will once again be cosmetic, adding custom skins for races such as goblins. I'll also look into how to add custom skeletons to a mod, though I can't guarantee they will appear in this release.

Of course, these updates are only what I, as one man, am planning to do. If there is a large demand for certain things I will do them instead, and perhaps there will be some bugfixing inbetween. And these are only the main changes, every release will probably also see some additional stuff, such as extra items, troops, spells etc. And if some good soul makes some goblin skins and sends them to me, he'd have my eternal thanks. And an honorably mention in the credits section.
    I will also have to add a custom map sometime, unfortunately there are no accurate maps of the OotS-verse yet.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

4 – The United Kingdom of Where, a coalition of the kingdoms of Nowhere, Anywhere, Somewhere and the democratic state of Someplace Else.
    Best Faction.

Ever. Anywhere.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

what

I am in awe, sir. You have turned a crazy idea into an actual mod... I have to try this.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

I will also have to add a custom map sometime, unfortunately there are no accurate maps of the OotS-verse yet.
    Check out when V casts familicide, it shows a world map.
    Also, this is an awesome idea. Downloading it now.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2011-10-01 at 01:17 PM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Err... I need to clarify; Is this for Mount & Blade or MB: Warband? Because I just have warband.
    Last edited by Squark; 2011-10-01 at 01:52 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

It works for me, without warband. Also, fix Nales background speech. He thinks he lethwin farseeker. AND xykon shows up as a lady, ie you will say stff to him like m'lady.
    Last edited by Howler Dagger; 2011-10-01 at 01:49 PM.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Looking at the download place, it appears the mod is not compatible with warband. Putting that somewhere in the OP might be a good idea... That being said, do mods work with the demo version of the original M&B?

9. - Top - End - #9

NecromancerGuy

Not compatible with Warband, updated OP to explicitly say so.

@Squark: I have no idea whether they work in demo mode or not. You'll have to ask about that on the TaleWorlds forum, I'm heading there right now to find out .

@SheepInDisguise: I know, I've been scouring the forum for OotS maps for quite a while, and I've uncovered quite some discussion. But the problem is, there are very little detailed maps. So yeah, I can use the world map, but then I sill wouldn't have any idea where the different factions and cities would be located. We do have more detailed maps of the Western Continent though. Although before being able to split it up into continents I will have to implement some seafaring stuff (which I was planning to do since day one). So I'm hoping that one of these days a better map will appear in the strip.

10. - Top - End - #10

I downloaded it, it is pretty fun but aa few things though
    1. currently you dont actually need a spellbook, was that intentional?
    2. is their a limit on how many you can cast currently?
    3. is their a rangge limit on spells like animate dead and mass heal?
    What about naming the indivdual cites of the united kingdom of where after the indivdual kingdoms?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

11. - Top - End - #11
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

DrowGirl

I like this mod, 'cos I like being part of the United Kingdom. I think I'm in somewhere.

This looks swwwweeeet. Remind me to install Mount and Blade original again sometime, would be more awesome with warbands, but M&B original is good enough.
    "I'm just going on motive and opportunity here and the fact that if the earth got swallowed by a black hole, I'd look suspiciously in your direction first."
    ~ Timberwolf

"I blame Castaras. You know... In general."
    ~ KuReshtin

"Castaras - An absolutely adorable facade that hides a truly ruthless streak."
    ~ The Succubus

12. - Top - End - #12

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    1. currently you dont actually need a spellbook, was that intentional?
    Most certainly not. Thanks for mentioning it.
    2. is their a limit on how many you can cast currently?
    Not currently no, though in the v0.3 system you have to prepare your spells beforehand (a spell slot system with the amount of spell slots being determined by your magic level, like in D&D)
    3. is their a rangge limit on spells like animate dead and mass heal?
    Yes, or at least there's supposed to be one. animate Dead should have a range of 5 meters, and Mass Heal of 9.14 meters (according to d20srd.com that's the standard range)
    What about naming the indivdual cites of the united kingdom of where after the indivdual kingdoms?
    Great idea, thanks. Though I suppose I'd have to call them "Capital of the Kingdom of [Whatever]".

@SheepInDisguise: about the Xykon as a lady, that's an unintentional side-effect with the undead thing. See, every skin set has a certain number attached to it. The male set is 1, the female is 2, and the undead is 3. During dialog, the game checks this number to determine gender: "1" equals male, "not 1" equals female.
    I think there is a way to change this, or at least I remember reading about a way to change it. But that's one of the things I'm planning to do in V0.4, the cosmetic overhaul one (and I'm gonna finish the Nale+companions dialog there).

EDIT: also, in a final attempt to solve the annoying CTD magic problem, I've taking the risk of creating a new thread over on TaleWorlds for it. And when I say "risk" I do mean "risk", 'cause occasionally these threads erupt into flames when people think you haven't done enough to tackle the problem by yourself.
    If anyone here knows how to use the ModuleSystem, perhaps you can help.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-01 at 03:37 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13

When will v.3 be out? also mass heal doesnt appeat to heal companions when out of battle(belkar was at 30% and I cast it out of battle anf it didnt change his health)
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #14

NecromancerGuy

v.3 will be released as soon as I manage to fix the "Animate Dead" problem.

15. - Top - End - #15

what animate dead problem? also tsuiko appears to be a man and thog uses a background from the origanal M&B
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #16

NecromancerGuy

It only appears in v0.3, whenever it's cast the game crashes. I just can't figure out why, that's why v0.3 is taking so long to release. It's fine in 0.2, and I didn't change the code directly, only the circumstances under which it's called, very weird.

And yes I know some/a lot of the custom characters aren't finished yet.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Colossus in the Playground

Could someone make a video of this in action? Videos are cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

18. - Top - End - #18

NecromancerGuy

All right, I've got good news and bad news.

Good news is, I've managed to fix the bug that delayed the V0.3 release.

Bad news is, the fix will require me to build an additional frame of code around the whole magic system, which will take a few hours.
    More bad news, in a few hours it will be past midnight, and it's school tomorrow. University isn't easy, so next week will once again be quite busy.
    Even more bad news, my internet is having trouble. Everything I up/download moves at a crawl. Meaning it will take at least an hour to upload the new version once it's finished. It should be fixed by the 6th of october.

So the update won't be arriving till the end of the week.

Also, you are free to create/upload vids of this mod in action. I don't have time for that at the moment, but I will try to create one eventually, when it's in a more finished state.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-02 at 03:24 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19

So any news on this mod?(for the record, I basically wiped out the thieves guild using almost just disintagrate )
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #20

NecromancerGuy

Release v0.3

Here it is at last, Mount&Stick V0.3
    Fixes
    The no-spellbook needed for casting spells
    some typos

Adds
    A new magic system, more D&D like (more details below)
    An easter egg easily recognizable by those who visit Giantitp.com
    In-game instructions for the magic system.
    Some miscellaneous stuff.

Magic 2.0
    The new Magic System works very different from the previous one. Instead of just buying spells and then throwing them around in combat like a lowly sorceror, you will now prepare your spells and control the tide of battle armed with your brains and your meatshields, like a true wizard.
    It works like this:
    • One) Make sure you have a spellbook and some spells (don't buy scrolls, they don't work yet)
    • Two) Go to camp menu and select "access spellbook" -> "manage spell slots"
    • Three) Here you can assign all your current spell slots. The amount of slots you get is determined by this formula:
      Code:
      X=either your Arcane skill or Divine skill, depending which is highest*
      (Spell slots for level)=1+X-(selected level)
      So if your Arcane level is 5 that means you get: 5 level I slots, 4 level II slots, 3 level III slots, 2 level IV slots and 1 level V slot.
    • Four) After assigning spells you will not be able to reassign them until midnight (or dawn/late afternoon depending on the starting time of the new game). When you can change them again the game will notify you with a message "Your magical energies have been refreshed"
    • Five) casting a spell can be done from the camp menu (for enchantments) or in battle by pressing "v" to bring up the selector, and "g" to cast. The game will be paused while accessing the selector.
    • Six) when your slots are refreshed your enchantments will also be deactivated. No permanent boosting for you.

Also: please report all bugs you encounter. I will fix the mas soon as possible.

*This is because the cost/reward ratio isn't good enough to warrant a separate spell slot list for Divine and Arcane spells. Once there are more spells in both categories this will change, and a holy symbol will become required for Divine casting.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-08 at 12:24 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21

NecromancerGuy

So any news on this mod?(for the record, I basically wiped out the thieves guild using almost just disintagrate )
    That'll be difficult to do now, as the maximum amount of disintegrates you could theoretically cast in battle is now 15, and would require 30 intelligence and not preparing any other spell above 5th level.

22. - Top - End - #22

is there a download link for the new version?
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Yay a mod for my new favorite game!
    Boo, it's for the original and not warband.
    I like this idea, but will it be ported to warband once it is finished?

You know what? I'm going to try and run it on warband and see what happens.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

24. - Top - End - #24

NecromancerGuy

@ The Underlord: Yeah, the download link is the same as the previous version. The mbrepository graciously allows for updates, though I may have forgotten, in all my excitement, to update the OP

@ Hazzardevil: I would very much like to port it to warband. But I don't have warband, so I can't do it myself, so I'll have to wait for someone who has warband (and at least a basic understanding of the modulesystem) to join up with me.

25. - Top - End - #25

Okay downloaded the mod(I would of downloaded earlier but my internet connection was screwing up) but I experienced a bug (long description ahead, I have learned that you need to be in-dpeth for bugs)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I create a character. I choose the powerful wizard background to try out the new magic system. I start out in the Thieves guild area and immediatly start to prepare my spells. I only prepare the spell slots that can be used for distigrate and animate dead. I prepare 10 animate deads, casting 5 of them out of combat. I am not sure how many distengrates I prepared. I find a thieves guild patrol. I engage it choosing "prepare to die" command it goes to the usual Charge or fight without you screen. I click the charge the enemy command. Then mount and blade crashes to the desktop.
    For those who dont want to read the elong description, basically I prepare spells, and crash when I try to fight.
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #26

NecromancerGuy

I checked it out, turned out there was one line of bad code the compiler didn't catch. It tried to assign a no longer existing value to something at the start of battle. So the game crashes every time you enter battle, hotfix uploading now.
    Hotfix 0.3.1 is now available

My apologies.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-09 at 03:46 AM.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ArcaneSaint View Post
    @ Hazzardevil: I would very much like to port it to warband. But I don't have warband, so I can't do it myself, so I'll have to wait for someone who has warband (and at least a basic understanding of the modulesystem) to join up with me.
    [Light Bulb goes up in head]
    Trying to convert it to Warband myself suddenly seems like a good idea.
    My extended signature.
    Thanks to the wonderful Ceika for my signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chained Birds View Post
    Just one of those guys vs girls things. Guys like giant, fighting robots that shoot lazerz out their eyes while girls like pretty jewelry that sparkle in the moonlight after having a romantic interlude with a charming gentleman.

Completely sexist, yes! Completely true, pretty much...
    I have Steam cards and other stuff! I am selling/trading them.

28. - Top - End - #28

NecromancerGuy

@Hazzardevil: I'd be glad to have you on board, do you have any experience with the ModuleSystem*? I've been getting more and more response from people who'd like to help out, so I was considering setting up an SVN repository somewhere to help keep everything as up-to-date as possible. I've been thinking on using Google Code, but I have no idea what all these licenses mean, and I'm supposed to select one for the project. I'll have to do some research first.

But anyway, for now I'm just gonna upload the current source files to a service like Rapidshare and I'll send out PMs with the link.

*Tbh, I didn't have any experience when I started this project, so you could always just pick it up as you go along. But basic syntax understanding would be a great thing.

29. - Top - End - #29

In v. 0.31, the Wizard sells Cat's Grace in place of Owl's Wisdom and vice versa. This could be a bit of a problem. It also annoys me slightly that his reply on purchase is missing a capital letter ("that will be..." instead of "That will be..."). Other than those small problems, it seems to be working fine for me (although I haven't tested it much yet).

30. - Top - End - #30

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Mount & Stick v0.3 An OotS-inspired mod for Mount&Blade

Ah, thanks for that. Them damn typos keep slipping past the radar.
    EDIT: New version is up.
    Last edited by ArcaneSaint; 2011-10-09 at 07:59 AM.