Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Banned

Default 9th-level Evocations

So this is an artifact from the meteor swarm retooling thread, and it's led me to start thinking about evocation spells.

A while ago, Frank Trollman posted an evocation fix on the Paizo forums:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Polar Ray is an insult to god and man. It's not a long legacy, it was introduced in 3.5 and before that it was merely one of several options for the much lower level Otiluke's Freezing Sphere. And of course, in Pathfinder, that would have to be called Freezing Sphere for copyright reasons, but that is neither here nor there.

The point however, is that in the conversion from AD&D to 3e D&D, the amount of hit points and energy resistance that creatures have has increased literally exponentially. And damage output from Evocations has not kept up in the slightest. And while we could plausibly attempt to push the envelope and pump up damage output to match, that would only be an arms race that no one would win.

Evocations in 3rd edition rules are primarily spells which serve to devastate low level opposition or to slowly but surely chip away at the defenses of opponents that pose reasonable threats. These are sometimes valid tactics, but they are not valid tactics to use one's highest level spells to accomplish. It takes a lot of magic missiles to bring down a Shadow, meaning that there is frankly no way that any Wizard is going to have enough spell slots to dedicate to doing that to make it a viable way to eventually beat such an opponent.

So here's the solution: reduce the spell level of these underperforming evocation spells. Since they scale in damage to your level, nothing actually bad happens if you get these spells early. Even a dozen or more levels early is perfectly fine because the damage scales to something level appropriate at low level. A polar ray cast by a 1st level character does just 1d6 of damage - half the damage that the same character could achieve by purchasing a vial of alchemist frost and throwing it at a target (same to-hit roll as well at any kind of close range).

So here's what the Evocation list should look like:

Evocation Cantrips

* Burning Hands
    * Dancing Lights
    * Light
    * Magic Missile
    * Shocking Grasp

Evocation 1st Level Spells

* Fireball
    * Floating Disk
    * Gust of Wind
    * Lightning Bolt
    * Polar Ray
    * Sending

Evocation 2nd Level Spells

* Chain Lightning
    * Cone of Cold
    * Continual Flame
    * Darkness
    * Daylight
    * Flaming Sphere (this spell badly needs to be better than it is, but that's another subject)
    * Scorching Ray
    * Shatter

Evocation 3rd Level Spells

* Delayed Blast Fireball
    * Ice Storm
    * Shout
    * Tiny Hut
    * Wall of Fire
    * Wind Wall

Evocation 4th Level Spells

* Fire Shield
    * Interposing Hand
    * Resilient Sphere
    * Wall of Ice

Evocation 5th Level Spells

* Forceful Hand
    * Freezing Sphere
    * Mage Sword
    * Sunburst
    * Wall of Force

Evocation 6th Level Spells

* Contingency
    * Grasping Hand
    * Shout, Greater

Evocation 7th Level Spells

* Clenched Fist
    * Force Cage
    * Prismatic Spray

Evocation 8th Level Spells

* Crushing Hand
    * Meteor Swarm
    * Telekinetic Sphere

Evocation 9th Level Spells

* 9th level Spells must be written for this discipline. Seriously, timestop? Shapechange? Wail of the Banshee? Astral Projection? Shades? Weird? Most disciplines have two game defining, god-fighting spells to choose from at 9th level. Evocation hasn't been given anything remotely decent for their top tier, so new, mountain leveling spells must be written for Evokers to have.

There. It's pretty much completely backwards compatible, but nonetheless puts Evokers in at being able to do something legitimately valuable - Killing Fools.

And no, having unlimited magic missiles or shocking grasps is not ungamebalanced at 1st level, or any level. Magic Missile tops out in damage at level 9, when it does 17.5 damage against any opponent who doesn't have concealment, cover, or spell resistance. But at level 9, a Rogue is literally inflicting 17.5 points of sneak attack damage with every single attack. And that's not total damage for the round, that's just the extra damage from a sneak attack. He still gets to do his weapon damage, and make his other attacks for that round. Shocking Grasp is very likely to hit, and it does a d8+1 damage. A Longsword in the hands of a Fighter is also very likely to hit and does a d8+4. While the shocking grasp is quite likely to have a better chance of hitting an orc warrior than the longsword is, it is also much more likely to do insufficient damage to drop the orc. Indeed, the Orc Warrior out of the SRD is more likely to drop in one attack from the 1st level Fighter than he from the 1st level Wizard - even factoring in the discrepancy in hit chances.

And no, casting fireballs at 1st level isn't unbalanced either. At 1st level it only does a d6 of fire damage, it's barely worth doing against many opponents. It certainly isn't putting color spray out of a job.

Now as you can see there are no 9th-level evocations given, so I wanted to start compiling a few. The stuff I have thus far is taken from The Gaming Den, with one original spell.

Abhorent Vortex (midnight_v)
    Evocation
    Level: Sor/Wiz 9
    Components: V, S, M
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: 40 ft./level
    Area: Burst 10 ft./Level
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: Reflex; special
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell implodes an area with such intensity that a vacum is created sucking the surronding area in.
    Choose one 5-ft square on the ground in range then this is the origin point.. Creatures (other than the caster) within 10ft per caster level take 150 damage with no save, each creature must then must make a reflex save or be sucked into the point of origin leaving them dazed for one round as well as being knocked prone.

Armageddon [Fire] [Earth] (cielingcat)
    Level: S/W 9
    Range: 1 mile
    Area: 20'/level radius spread
    Save: Ref 1/2
    SR: No

You rain destruction down from the heavens, bombarding the area with burning meteors and dealing 3d6/level to all within the area of effect (Ref save for 1/2). This damage is half fire damage and half bludgeoning damage. The spell may cause structures and items to catch fire, and can damage or destroy structures in the area.

Spontaneous Combustion [Fire] (ceilingcat)
    Components: V, S
    Range: Close (25' + 5'/2 levels)
    Effect: 1 target/level
    Save: Fort 1/2
    SR: Yes

You inflict 3d6/level fire damage to each target (fort save for 1/2). Any target reduced below 0 hp by this damage is instantly killed (if still alive - no save) and turned to ashes. (This precludes any method of resurrection that requires a body or part of the body).

Lightning Strike [Electricity] (ceilingcat)
    Effect: all enemies within range
    Save: Ref Partial

You call down a series of lightning strikes – one per target, preceeded by a loud crack of thunder. This spell works even underground (the electricity jumps from the floor to the ceiling). All targets take 2d6/level electricity damage and are fatigued, knocked prone, stunned for 2d6 rounds, sickened for 1d4 hours, and deafened for 1d6 days. Flying creatures are stalled instead of being knocked prone (resolve their falling immediately). A successful reflex save halves the damage and negates the being knocked prone and the stunning.

Check SR independently for all creatures effected – failing to penetrate SR only prevents that creature from being effected by the spell (which otherwise resolves normally).

Acid Rain [Acid] (ceilingcat)
    Area: 1 mile radius centered on you
    Duration: 1r/level
    Save: Fort partial

You create a brief torrential downpour of acidic rain in a 1 mile radius area centered on you. This storm inflicts 8d6 acid damage each round to everything in the area, including objects, structures, creatures, and plants. This acid damage ignores the hardness of any objects or structures. Creatures in water take 1/2 damage. Creatures at least 50’ beneath the water surface can ignore the spell entirely. Note that the caster is affected by the spell normally.

In addition, anyone who takes acid damage from the spell is nauseated, reduced to sickened with a successful fortitude save.

Acid rain will generally kill any normal animals, will reduce even tall trees to pitted stumps, and turn stone castles to slag. Casting the spell almost certainly earns the enmity of any druids in the area as well as any rulers or good-aligned adventurers.

Force Juggernaut
    Components: S
    Effect: see text
    Duration: 1 round per level
    Save: Reflex; see text

You create a 25' by 25' plane of force in front of you, and push it forward. When you cast this spell, you may move it anywhere in range in a straight line and rotate it to any orientation. Any creature that the plane touches is pushed to the end of the plane's movement and takes 1d6 force damage for every 10' moved (no save). At the beginning of their turns, creatures next to the plane of force take 1d6 per caster level damage and must make a Reflex Save or be entangled for the turn. Any creature who takes damage from force juggernaut is slowed for 1 round.

As a swift action, you can orient the plane in any way and move it up to 30'. Creatures with Spell Resistance or Spell Immunity apply the Spell Resistance every time at the beginning of their turn.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: 9th-level Evocations

I think its useful to note that a lot of the good Evocations aren't the blasty spells, but the weird utility spells Evocation gets because things are being manifested from magical forces rather than summoned.

So along those lines, 9th level spells should have some aspect of that I think:

- Force Maze: Creates a 3d space-filling maze of force walls in a cube 5ft/level to a side. The force maze has hallways and passages wide enough so that all beings in it at the time of creation can fit through them and thread the maze. Each 5ft section behaves as a separate Wall of Force for the purpose of dispel, disintegrate, etc.

- Midnight Sun: This spell causes a magical sun to appear in the sky/air, creating daylight conditions in a radius of 200ft/level. This persists for 10 minutes/level. If the Midnight Sun is manifested during day time, the ambient sunlight of an area is doubled, causing a heat wave that raises the temperature by 2 bands in the area. If cast indoors, the illumination is treated as an emanation. Further castings do not increase the effect however. The light produced by the Midnight Sun is considered natural daylight for creatures affected by such things. This spell can be permanencied.

(the reverse of this already exists as an Epic Spell somewhere I think, but it'd be fun to bump down to 9th level evocation).

- Spirits of Matter: This spell causes objects in the area to emit wispy ghost-like creatures, one per object. Things done to the creatures associated with objects reflect on the objects themselves, and the creatures can be targeted as creatures. 20ft radius, 1 round/level. Lots of potential here: Dominate a door into opening, Finger of Death a door's spirit to destroy the door, use healing spells to repair broken objects, even raise dead in principle...

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Lightning Strike should definitely also be a druid spell.

Also, those spells covered every [element] except cold! Why no love for 9th level ice spells? I mean, yeah, we have Fimbulwinter, but...

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Also, those spells covered every [element] except cold! Why no love for 9th level ice spells? I mean, yeah, we have Fimbulwinter, but...
    PF introduced one... but made it Transmutation.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Prime32 View Post
    PF introduced one... but made it Transmutation.
    Well, okay that spell is pretty nice, but it's still not a 9th level [cold] evocation spell!

/nitpick
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2011-10-21 at 03:58 PM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

Uhh, awesome :) Ima steal this idea. Ty Mr. YouLostMe for posting this.

--PC
    Hey! You want to play something badass? Play my Necromancer.

Does your pet lack "Shock and Awe?" Check out these Pet Prestige Classes.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Banned

Let's see... in order.

Force Maze appears to be Maze, except strange. What's the application there, especially for flyers? Midnight Sun sounds cool. I'd actually pop the temperature to like 4 bands. And Spirits of Matter is weeeeeird. Would need lots of ruling edits.

Some cool stuff there. Also, I shall start a cold evocation spell. I was thinking a blizzard AoE with slow, what do you think?

Also, Paulcynic, feel free to post spells all up in here! Collaboration is always appreciated.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post

Some cool stuff there. Also, I shall start a cold evocation spell. I was thinking a blizzard AoE with slow, what do you think?
    Slow is good, but what about also icing the ground like grease?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Banned

I'm thinking 1r/level, short range, makes a 60' diameter cylinder (100' tall). No SR for effects. Then like 4d6/round damage and reflex save v. falling prone along with fort save v. slow? I can see those saves being made by monsters, and it not doing much... Is that an irrational worry?

EDIT: Also, that's a lot of die-rolling. Not in a pile, but with the damage per round and and two saves per monster... I need some consolidation.
    Last edited by YouLostMe; 2011-10-22 at 05:15 AM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by YouLostMe View Post
    Force Maze appears to be Maze, except strange. What's the application there, especially for flyers?
    Maze takes one enemy and puts them elsewhere until they planeshift or make an Int check. Force Maze turns the battlefield into a maze, so its more of a 'break up the enemy group into little sub-groups' trick, especially if the person casting Force Maze also has teleportation. I'll grant it'd be hard to run since you might well have to draw out a 3d maze, so some approximations as to how it breaks up the enemy group are probably warranted (e.g. all creatures are separated by a wall of force unless adjacent initially, average path length between creatures is 300ft, whatever).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

The Ice spell should have freeze in place with a failed save, slow on successful. Grease-ing the area should happen regardless of who saves and that portion should be SR: No. Flying by wings would get frozen and they fall. Magical flight.....I'm not sure how to affect that.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NichG View Post
    Force Maze: Creates a 3d space-filling maze of force walls in a cube 5ft/level to a side. The force maze has hallways and passages wide enough so that all beings in it at the time of creation can fit through them and thread the maze. Each 5ft section behaves as a separate Wall of Force for the purpose of dispel, disintegrate, etc.
    This would be hilarious with invisible spell!
    Every time I post a statement feel free to add 'In my opinion...' whenever applicable.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    The Ice spell should have freeze in place with a failed save, slow on successful. Grease-ing the area should happen regardless of who saves and that portion should be SR: No. Flying by wings would get frozen and they fall. Magical flight.....I'm not sure how to affect that.
    Magical flight gets coated with ice, causing whatever is flying to fly slower.
    LGBTA+itP

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldest View Post
    Magical flight gets coated with ice, causing whatever is flying to fly slower.
    Halving fly speed and lowering maneuverabilty 1 or 2 steps? That would be pretty devestating.
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Halfling in the Playground

Also, Paulcynic, feel free to post spells all up in here! Collaboration is always appreciated.
    Ah, stole for mah game group :P

Let me give this a try:

Idea From Dragon Age II:

Gravity Well
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Components: V, S, C (A 1-foot Iron Bar, 1-inch wide, consumed)
    Range: Medium
    Area: 30' Radius
    Duration: 1 Round/3 levels
    Save: Reflex (Partial), See Text

You cause a thick iron-rod to hyper-rotate in all directions, creating a hyper-dense gravity well. This well pulls all creatures within its Area of Effect toward the center unless they make a successful Reflex save. Those who fail their save are immediately moved to the center of the effect, where they are paralyzed and suffer 6D6 crushing damage per round per size category. Those who make their save are Staggered, and may only move 5'; if they attempt to physically move while this effect persists they must make a new Reflex save or suffer the full effect.

When this effect ends, any ground within its Area of Effect becomes difficult terrain as it was sucked into the grav-well.
    Vacuum
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Components: V, S, C (A Mythril Wiffle-ball)
    Area: 30' Radius
    Duration: Immediate
    Save: Fortitude, See Text

You under-hand toss a mythril wiffle-ball toward your desired area of effect where it magically continues on. Upon arriving at your designated location, it will suck in all atmosphere. This immediate change in pressure will cause even the mightiest beasts to make a Fort save or have their eyes (if any) pulled from their sockets (becoming physically blind). Failure by 5 or greater further causes their lungs to collapse, dealing 6D6 crushing damage; victims of this damage must make another Fort save DC (10 plus damage received) or suffer a coup-de-grace. Failure by 10 or greater causes massive internal trauma as the drop in pressure simultaneously boils and freezes their blood. Arteries and veins immediately disintegrate, and all major bones become like glass, breaking into horrible pin-like shards, paralyzing victims, as well as causing 150 damage; victims of this damage must make a Fort save DC (10 plus damage received) or suffer a coup-de-grace.
    The Chiaotzu Effect
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Components: V, S, C (Any Small-sized Creature, even a midget pantomime)
    Range: Long
    Duration: Immediate
    Save: Reflex, See Text

You cast this spell upon a willing ally or creature of animal intelligence who gets no saving throw. You then direct this imbued creature to grapple a specific target, where it gains a +40 to this grapple attempt (animals will obey without resistance). Once in place, this loving vassal will bid you farewell and good luck, and ask you to resurrect it when possible, at which point it will unleash the forces you have awakened within it. Both your ally and target foe get no save, taking damage equal to your ally/animals maximum Hit Points (regardless of current health). If this is enough damage to kill your target foe, he will survive long enough to target one of his own allies (nearest). This foe is now imbued with this effect and similarly compelled to grapple his ally (+40 to grapple attempt), at which point this effect repeats infinitely until a target does not die from this effect, or until all allied foes are dead.
    Power Word Laughter
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Components: V
    Range: Close
    Duration: 1 min/level (See Text)
    Save: Will, See Text

You tell a joke, any joke be it lame, wry, clever, or actually funny to those who hear it. Any foe who hears this joke must make an immediate Will save, failure means that this spell evokes forced laughter. Victims become Staggered for the full duration as they struggle to breathe, awkwardly repeating this joke between ass-like gafaws each round. Any of their allies within hearing distance must then make a Will save or suffer this effect as well. Once this effect ends for an individual, if he hears the joke again from any source, he must make a new Will save or suffer the effect... again.
    Last edited by Paulcynic; 2011-10-23 at 01:00 AM.
    Hey! You want to play something badass? Play my Necromancer.

Does your pet lack "Shock and Awe?" Check out these Pet Prestige Classes.

16. - Top - End - #16

Disintegration Drill
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Target: A cylinder, 10ft diameter and 1 mile long, originating from you
    Duration: 3 rounds
    Save: reflex half, See Text

During the first round, everything in the cylinder takes 10d6 fire damage. At this time, creatures in the space may make reflex saves to jump out of the way and take half damage.

During the second round, everything in the cylinder is destroyed utterly. Objects or creatures partially in the space are sheered neatly, and the boundary is melted/cauterized. Creatures which are partially destroyed in this manner lose a fraction of their total hit points equal to twice the fraction of their volume which was destroyed (if they are more than half destroyed, they are killed). They also lose the benefits of whichever piece of anatomy was destroyed. There is no save in this round.

The third round is like the first.

A wall of force blocks this, but no physical material can.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    Disintegration Drill
    S/W Level 9 Evocation
    Target: A cylinder, 10ft diameter and 1 mile long, originating from you
    Duration: 3 rounds
    Save: reflex half, See Text

During the first round, everything in the cylinder takes 10d6 fire damage. At this time, creatures in the space may make reflex saves to jump out of the way and take half damage.

During the second round, everything in the cylinder is destroyed utterly. Objects or creatures partially in the space are sheered neatly, and the boundary is melted/cauterized. Creatures which are partially destroyed in this manner lose a fraction of their total hit points equal to twice the fraction of their volume which was destroyed (if they are more than half destroyed, they are killed). They also lose the benefits of whichever piece of anatomy was destroyed. There is no save in this round.

The third round is like the first.

A wall of force blocks this, but no physical material can.
    Question: How does a cylinder have a diameter of 10 ft. and 1 mile simultaneously?
    Awesome Avvy by Sizlord!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MesiDoomstalker View Post
    Question: How does a cylinder have a diameter of 10 ft. and 1 mile simultaneously?
    What he's describing is a 10ft wide line [Emanation, i presume] according to the SRD [A spread and an emanation are the instantaneouns and ongoing versions of the same thing].
    Mine is not so much a Peter Pan Complex as a Peter Pan Doom Fortress and Underground LairTM!
    Fae-o-matic Want a fae from folklore stated? Give me the lore and I'll do it for you!
    Le Cirque Funeste Evil Fairy Circus! Ray Bradbury, refined down to snortable powder!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground

This is awesome. I love it. Evocations have always been some of my favorite. So let's give this a try, shall we?

Earthbound Nova
    Evocation [fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic, force]
    Components: V, S, XP (500)
    Area: 5'/level radius
    Casting Time: 3 rounds
    Save: Fort/Ref, see text

Upon casting this spell, the designated area is flooded simultaneously with fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic and force dealing 1d6 of each element for every two caster levels (rounded down). Anything in the area must make a Fort save or be killed immediately by the resulting blast. Anything in the area that makes this save must then make a Ref save for half damage. This spell overcomes Evasion and Improved Evasion. Anything killed by the spell is vaporized, not even leaving ashes behind, and requires a wish, a miracle or a true resurrection to bring back to life. It is not uncommon for this spell to leave a half-sphere whole in the ground if cast outside or a spherical cave if cast inside a tunnel.
    Last edited by Noctis Vigil; 2011-10-24 at 02:53 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    This is awesome. I love it. Evocations have always been some of my favorite. So let's give this a try, shall we?

Earthbound Nova
    Evocation [fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic, force]
    Components: V, S, XP (500)
    Area: 5'/level radius
    Casting Time: 3 rounds
    Save: Fort/Ref, see text

Upon casting this spell, the designated area is flooded simultaneously with fire, cold, acid, electricity, sonic and force dealing 1d6 of each element for every two caster levels (rounded down). Anything in the area must make a Fort save or be killed immediately by the resulting blast. Anything in the area that makes this save must then make a Ref save for half damage. This spell overcomes Evasion and Improved Evasion. Anything killed by the spell is vaporized, not even leaving ashes behind, and requires a wish or a [/i]miracle[/i] to bring back to life. It is not uncommon for this spell to leave a half-sphere whole in the ground if cast outside or a spherical cave if cast inside a tunnel.
    I really have a problem with a spell that specifically bans true resurrection. I mean, that's a 9th level spell too, same as wish and miracle, so why can't it be used?

21. - Top - End - #21

If I recall correctly, true resurrection requires a body (or at least body part) to cast it on, doesn't it?

22. - Top - End - #22

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Vigil View Post
    If I recall correctly, true resurrection requires a body (or at least body part) to cast it on, doesn't it?
    You're talking about Resurrection. True Resurrection does not require a body, but you need more diamonds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gligarman2 View Post
    14. I will not counterspell when Celestia raises the sun.
    Do you want an avatar?
    Adopt one, or ask for a custom avatar!
    Portfolio

24. - Top - End - #24

Ah. I shall edit that in then.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Banned

Apologies for not getting back to the board, everyone. Midterms are tomorrow and I'm working like mad. However, I'll look these spells over and post them as part of my victory/depression relaxation period on Wednesday!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

SUNDERING WRATH
    Evocation [force]
    Range: Medium (100ft+10ft/level)
    Target: One Creature
    Casting Time: 1 full round
    Save: Fort/Half

A spray of charged magical energy assaults a single target within range dealing 1d8+3 points of Force damage per caster level. The target is flung back by the impact of the spell 5 feet per caster level dealing teh appropiate falling damage should they collide with a solid object. In addition those failing their saving throw are dazed for 1d6 +1/ per 2 levels

27. - Top - End - #27

Evoker's Storm
    Evocation
    Range: 50 ft./level
    Area: Varies (use base spell's stats)
    Duration: 1 round/6 levels
    Saving Throw: Varies (use base spell's stats)
    Spell Resistance: Special (use base spell's stats)

This spell supercharges the area around the caster, allowing for the most powerful evocation effects to spring forth from simple gestures or thoughts. For the duration of the spell, once per turn as a as a move action, the caster can freely cast as many evocation spells as he wants so long as their collective spell levels do not exceed his caster level, all spells have a duration of instantaneous, and no spell exceeds 7th level. (Cantrips count as 1/2 level spells for this spell's purposes.) A caster cannot cast a spell he does not know/would otherwise not have access to.

For example, Tatum, a 20th level wizard, knows Fireball, Magic Missile, Scorching Ray and Delayed Blast Fireball and has the Twinned (+4) and Widened (+3) metamagics. When he casts this spell, he could cast
    • Scorching Ray 10 times, or
    • Fireball 6 times and Scorching Ray once, or
    • 20 Magic Missiles, or
    • 3 Widened Fireballs and 2 Magic Missiles, or
    • 5 Scorching Rays and 10 Magic Missiles

all at CL 20th. He could not, however, cast Delayed Blast Fireball as part of this spell as it does not have an instantaneous duration.

Spells cast in this fashion can be affected by metamagic, so long as the caster knows the relevant feat. Creatures affected by multiple effects in this spell only make one save. If the effects target multiple saves, they choose which save to apply. Spells cast as a part of this spell are treated as 9th level but only when beneficial.
    Homebrew Directory
    Best summation of Internet arguments:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wing Commander Forums
    And now I leave you to rant and rave over how I just don't get it with a smug sense of self-satisfaction, I leave with a smug sense of self-satisfaction over having made a pointless reply to a pointless rant on the internet

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

The Hourglass of Zihaja project took the time to address issues like this, & we made three 9th level arcane evocations: Fiat: Death, Gloom, & Terrible Power. Here they are below, spoilered for length.

Fiat: Death
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evocation [Death]
    Components: V, S, F
    Range: Medium (100’ + 10’/level)
    Effect: Ray of pure magical potency
    Saving Throw: Fortitude partial
    Spell Resistance: Yes
    Focusing the most potent, raw arcane energies through an enchanted vessel, you invoke the Fiat to unleash a coiling rush of pure sorcery. This power crashes over your foe like a torrent, the pressure expelling soul from body.

A living creature struck by the ray of magic is instantly struck dead unless it succeeds on a Fortitude save. Undead can be affected as well, provided they are not mindless. A creature other than a living creature or sentient undead, or a creature that succeeds on its Fortitude save, instead takes 20d6 damage.

The massive breadth of the ray affords you a +4 bonus to your ranged touch attack. This ray ignores deflection bonus to AC & miss chance due to incorporeality. The ray affords you a +4 bonus to your caster level check to overcome spell resistance.

Focus: A magical rod or staff. You may use a magical wand with at least 10 charges remaining, but doing so will cause it to shatter.

Gloom
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evocation [Darkness, Fear, Mind-Affecting]
    Level: Night 9, Wiz 9
    Components: V, S, M, F, DF
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Long (400’ + 40’/level)
    Area: Cylinder (20’ radius/level, 100’ high)
    Duration: 10 minutes/level
    Saving Throw: See text
    Spell Resistance: No
    The sky grows dark for a mile around, with not a hint of sunlight, moonlight or starlight penetrating, as you conjure a region of absolute night.

Gloom creates a mile-radius circle of magical darkness that acts as deeper darkness, as well as a cylindrical epicenter of pure inky night. Non-magical sources of illumination within the mile of darkness, such as torches, lamps & candles, are extinguished. Magical sources see their effective radius halved. Within the epicenter, however, all magical light is instantly dispelled (or suppressed, in the case of supernatural glows).

The epicenter of gloom is pitch-black. Low-light vision & darkvision are of no use. All within are effectively blinded & given total concealment. This makes Search & Spot checks impossible & imposes a -4 circumstance penalty to Reflex saves.

The profound, unnatural darkness begins to unhinge those who are caught within. Living creatures within a mile of the epicenter suffer a -2 morale penalty to attack rolls, damage rolls, skill checks & saving throws (no save). For those within the epicenter, however, the darkness of the gloom is much more severe. Creatures caught in the epicenter must make a Will save or suffer a -9 morale penalty instead.

Creatures dependent on sunlight or other light (such as most creatures of the Plant type) suffer twice the normal penalties. Such creatures, if within the epicenter, are also panicked (no save) regardless of immunity to fear effects.

Those within the gloom’s mile-radius circle of darkness also slowly begin to go mad. Each minute, have affected victims roll on the following table:

{table=head]Roll|Gloom Effect|Save
    1|No effect|--
    2|Confused for 1 minute|Will negates
    3|Shaken for 1 minute|Will negates
    4|Frightened for 1 minute|Will negates
    5|Panicked for 1 minute|Will negates
    6|Sickened for 1 minute|Fortitude negates
    7|Nauseated for 1 minute|Fortitude negates
    8|Roll twice, ignoring 8|--[/table]

Lastly, gloom dispels & suppresses the following effects for its duration: aid, animal trance, bless, calm animals, calm emotions, good hope, heroism, hypnotic pattern, prayer, rage, rainbow pattern, scintillating pattern, sympathy, bardic music & a barbarian’s rage ability.

Material Component: A black opal worth at least 500GP. A full-blooded ghul (& only a ghul) may ignore this component.

Arcane Focus: The black silk robes of a transcended houri. A full-blooded ghul (& only a ghul) may ignore this component.

Terrible Power
    Spoiler
    Show
    Evocation
    Components: V, S, F
    Casting Time: 1 swift action
    Range: Personal
    Target: You
    Duration: 1 round
    Reaching near the very Fiat itself, you briefly grasp an infinitesimal drop of the intangible radiant iliaster that lies within the River of Starlight & infuse a single spell with the pure power contained therein.

The next spell you cast within the next round is modified by Maximize Spell, Empower Spell & Extend Spell, provided such effects are applicable to the spell in question. Though this does not modify the level of the spell being cast, the DC to save against the spell (if applicable) is increased by 1.

Your caster level for the spell modified by terrible power is increased by +5.

Focus: A magical ring of at least 50,000gp value, which must currently be worn on one hand & active, & a sapphire of at least 5,000gp value.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Banned

Gravity Well: I have no idea what hyper-rotation is, and I'm not sure if an "iron-rod" is some sort of physics term. Why not just say "You create a dense gravity well"? Also, I dislike that damage scaling. I'd prefer to have it based on level, possibly with only 3 tiers (tiny and smaller, small to large, huge and larger) of different damage, but the chances of fighting a really small but level-appropriate character are minimal.

The whole "staggered" thing means that ranged will get the chance to try and get you back (unless they are a caster and this counts as continuous damage, which it appears not to), which makes the spell OK, but melee characters are totally boned. They have to make a reflex save, which they might do well on (barbarians and fighters, no. Rogues, yes), and then take a fair amount of damage, but afterwards, they can't do anything for at least a turn. If they fail the save, their first turn is spent in the well, and then they can try and move out of it (possibly falling in again and getting screwed again), but then can't take any more actions. And that could literally happen for every turn of combat if you have someone with a low reflex save. Pretty over-powerful battle control.

In addition, it appears that all creatures are sucked into the same space (how does that work?), and it doesn't appear to deal damage when you're sitting in the gravity well (is that intentional?).

I'd rather see the spell used for only crowed control, no damage even needed. It could be based on HD or CR (HD makes more sense, but CR would work nicer within the game) and pull monsters that are very weak towards the caster into one point and keep them there. At high levels, you can just get rid of a 900pi area of mooks out of the way.

Vacuum: Again with the strange flavor. Why not just make a vacuum, or a portal to an extra-dimensional space that sucks up the air?

Also, a robust immune system generally does not affect one's ability to retain eye and lung capacity. And there are three saves for each creature affect. It just seems... off. I can see the effect making sense, but the effects involved don't seem to work well.

Chiaotzu: I... no. No can has. This doesn't have any tactical ability--it's literally a victory button, especially with multiple usages. You can win combats by stacking HP on the barbarian and just sacrificing him every time.

Power Word Laughter: AoE stagger not affecting allies and lasting all of combat seems like a bit much. Additionally, hideous laughter (which is what I'm modeling this from) classifies the spell as an Enchantment (Compulsion) [Mind-Affecting].

Disintegration Drill: I'm not quite sure where the cylinder originates. Is it a 1-mile line that's 10' wide? Or is it a mile-tall cylinder on top of your head? Also, by RAW, I can see a character making the reflex save and then "jumping out the way" by one mile, since that's one of the places where the effect ends.

For the second round of the effect... do plants melt or get cauterized? The effect seems a little crazy. Any BBEG tower or dungeon literally needs to be guarded by walls of force in order to stop the disintegration-drilling of obstacles.

And why would one need a third round of fire damage if nothing exists within the drill any longer?

Earthbound Nova: Interesting name... All right, so small AoE death without the [Death] tag is interesting, but is definitely strong (I'm looking at wail of the banshee, which is only AoE death and can be stopped by death ward), and then there's the damage that comes after.

When I think of spells, I think of them as class features. And ignoring evasion/improved evasion is basically making a caster's class feature ignoring other class features... it's not terrible balance-wise, but it's mean. I dislike it.

You could also say that it affects objects, that way the killing effect hurts undead too. That would be nice.

All right, that's it so far. More midterms we go!

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Here's a crazy one.

Wildwind
    Evocation
    Components: V,S,M
    Area: 10'/level radius, 10ft/level high cylinder
    Duration: 1 minute/level
    Saving throw: None

This spell summons forth the energies of Limbo and Pandemonium, blending them together to create a wind filled with chaotic energies. Spells and powers used within the zone of wind have a chance of being twisted and going horribly awry. Spells cast in the area are twisted randomly in one of the following ways (roll 1d100):

1-15: Spell's target is randomized among valid targets within its range
    16-30: Spell's energy type is inverted if applicable, otherwise functions normally (fire -> cold, positive -> negative, air -> earth, etc)
    31-35: Spell is replaced with an explosion, radius 5ft/spell level, dealing 1d6 of a random energy type per CL, Reflex halves.
    36-40: Spell is replaced with Polymorph Any Object to turn the target into a random common metal (bronze, iron, tin, etc).
    41-45: Spell animates all dead in its area as uniformly hostile zombies.
    46-50: Spell is replaced with an illusion of its effects.
    51-55: Spell gains the Maximize metamagic for free, otherwise normal.
    56-60: Spell gains the Invisible Spell metamagic, otherwise normal.
    61-65: Spell is replaced with Summon Monster of its level. Summoned creatures are not under caster's control.
    66-70: Spell affects caster as if cast by target, but using caster's stats and CL.
    71-75: Spell acts as an area Greater Dispel Magic at caster's caster level.
    76-80: Spell is affected as if by Delay Metamagic for 1d4 rounds.
    81-85: Spell fizzles.
    86-90: Spell becomes a cloud of raw magical energy, deals 1d6 damage per round per spell level to everyone within 30ft of target point. Lasts 1 round/CL .
    91-95: Spell becomes a Living Spell of itself, uncontrolled.
    96-100: Caster is drained of a random spell slot of the same level (lower if none available) but the spell works normally.

Material Component: A vial of matter from Limbo and an ingot of Pandemonic silver, 500gp total.

-----

Its hard to use tactically I'll admit, though it'd be wonderful for sabotaging a mage school or temple.