New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Knife in the back, DEATH ATTACK! [3.5, Base Class, PEACH!]

The Assassin

Spoiler
    Show

If you were my actual target, you'd only ever find me at your funeral - The Hookchain Butcher

Abilities: Intelligence is important, as it dictates the save DC's of the Assassin's Precise Attacks, and Dexterity is a major boon or outright necessary for most of the Assassin's trade. Constitution is always important, and Strength is an ability not to be neglected too badly. Charisma has its uses, with Wisdom less so.
    Alignment: Any non-good
    Starting Age: Simple
    Starting Gold: As Rogue

Hit Die: d6
    {table=head]Level|Base[div]Attack Bonus[/div]|Fort[div]Save[/div]|Ref[div]Save[/div]|Will[div]Save[/div]|Special|1st|2nd|3rd|4th
    1st|+0|+0|+2|+2|Spellcasting, Sneak Attack +1d6, Precise Attack (Dizzying Strike)|0|-|-|-
    2nd|+1|+0|+3|+3|Evasion, Poison Use|1|-|-|-|-
    3rd|+2|+1|+3|+3|Tough Soul|1|-|-|-
    4th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Sneak Attack +2d6, Uncanny Dodge|2|0|-|-
    5th|+3|+1|+4|+4|Precise Attack (Paralysing Strike)|2|1|-|-
    6th|+4|+2|+5|+5 |Shadows All Around|2|1|-|-
    7th|+5|+2|+5|+5 |Sneak Attack +3d6|3|2|0|-
    8th|+6/+1|+2|+6|+6|Improved Uncanny Dodge|3|2|1|-
    9th|+6/+1|+3|+6 |+6|Arcane Precision|3|2|1|-
    10th|+7/+2 |+3|+7|+7|Precise Attack (Ruining Strike), Sneak Attack +4d6|3|3|2 |0
    11th|+8/+3 |+3|+7|+7|Hidden Knife|4|3|2|1
    12th|+9/+4 |+4|+8|+8|Hide in Plain Sight |4|3|2|1
    13th|+9/+4 |+4|+8|+8|Precise Attack (Additional Dizzying), Sneak Attack +5d6|4|3|3|2
    14th|+10/+5|+4|+9|+9 |Hardy Soul|4|4|3 |2
    15th|+11/+6/+1|+5|+9|+9|Death to All, Precise Strike (Death Attack)|4|4|3|2
    16th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Precise Attack (Additional Paralysis), Sneak Attack +6d6|4|4|3|3
    17th|+12/+7/+2|+5|+10|+10|Knife through the Barrier|4|4|4|3
    18th|+13/+8/+3|+6|+11|+11|No Dark Secrets|4|4|4|3
    19th|+14/+9/+4|+6|+11|+11|Sneak Attack +7d6|4|4|4|3
    20th|+15/+10/+5 |+6|+12|+12|Precise Attack (Death to the Soul)|4|4|4|4
    [/table]

Class Skills: The Assassin's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Assassins are proficient with all simple and martial weapons. Assassins are proficient with light armor, but not with shields.

Spellcasting: Beginning at 1st level, an assassin gains the ability to cast a number of arcane spells. An Assassin can cast any spell they know without preparing it ahead of time, just as a sorcerer can.
    When an Assassin gains access to a new level of spells, they automatically know all the spells for that level given on the Assassin Spell List.
    To cast a spell, an assassin must have an Intelligence score of at least 10 + the spell’s level, so an assassin with an Intelligence of 10 or lower cannot cast these spells.
    Assassin bonus spells are based on Intelligence, and saving throws against these spells have a DC of 10 + spell level + the assassin’s Intelligence bonus. When the assassin gets 0 spells per day of a given spell level he gains only the bonus spells he would be entitled to based on his Intelligence score for that spell level.
    Normally, armor of any type interferes with an arcane spellcaster's gestures, which can cause spells to fail if those spells have a somatic component. An assassin’s limited focus and specialized training, however, allows them not to suffer any arcane spell failure so long as the Assassin wears light armour. This training does not extend to medium heavy armors, nor to any shields. This ability does not apply to spells gained from a different spellcasting class.

Sneak Attack (Ex): If an Assassin can catch an opponent when they are unable to defend himself effectively from her attack, they can strike a vital spot for extra damage.
    The assassin’s attack deals extra damage any time their target would be denied a Dexterity bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity bonus or not), or when the assassin flanks their target. This extra damage is 1d6 at 1st level, and it increases by 1d6 every three assassin levels thereafter. Should the assassin score a critical hit with a sneak attack, this extra damage is not multiplied.
    Ranged attacks can count as sneak attacks only if the target is within 30 feet.
    With a sap (blackjack) or an unarmed strike, an assassin can make a sneak attack that deals nonlethal damage instead of lethal damage. They cannot use a weapon that deals lethal damage to deal nonlethal damage in a sneak attack, not even with the usual -4 penalty.
    An assassin can sneak attack only living creatures with discernible anatomies—undead, constructs, oozes, plants, and incorporeal creatures lack vital areas to attack. Any creature that is immune to critical hits is not vulnerable to sneak attacks. The assassin must be able to see the target well enough to pick out a vital spot and must be able to reach such a spot. An assassin cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment or striking the limbs of a creature whose vitals are beyond reach.

Precise Attack (Ex): From 1st level, the Assassin can make precise, calculated attacks against their enemy with deadly effect.
    If an assassin studies his victim for 3 rounds and then makes a sneak attack with a melee weapon that successfully deals damage, the sneak attack has the additional effect of possibly affecting their victim in some detrimental way (see below).
    While studying the victim, the assassin can undertake other actions so long as his attention stays focused on the target and the target does not leave the assassin's line of sight during those three turns. After watching their chosen victim for three turns, the assassin may use their Precise Attack ability once every three turns on that target for the rest of the encounter. A new target requires a new three rounds of watching, but does not "reset" previous targets.
    When the assassin would make a successful Sneak Attack against an enemy and meet all the other requirements, they may choose to activate this ability, which forces the target to make Fortitude Save with a DC of 10 + 1/2 Assassin levels + Int modifier or suffer one of the following effects available to an assassin of the assassin's level, chosen at the time. An assassin may only use this ability once every 3 turns, regardless of if the target succeeds on their save or not.

Precise Attack Effects
    • Dizzying Strike: From 1st level, an assassin's most basic technique is to dizzy their target, normally with a strike to the cranium. A target that fails their save against this ability is dazed for 1 round, plus an extra round for every 5 levels the Assassin has.
    • Paralysing Strike: At 5th level, the assassin learns to strike at pressure points and weak spots to hold their target in place. A target that fails their save against this ability is paralysed for 1d4 rounds.
    • Ruining Strike: At 10th level, the assassin now strikes with so much focus and precision that one blow is all it takes to break bones and shear muscle. A target that fails their save against this ability takes Strength and Constitution damage equal to 1/3rd of the Assassin's class levels.
    • Death Attack: At 15th level, the assassin learns their most famous trade - one strike, one death. Some throw a knife to the brain, others slip a sword through the ribs and the heart, and others just hit the head so hard it promptly leaves the neck and arrives at the next wall. A target that fails their save against this ability simply dies. An assassin may choose to mutilate the body in this way, preventing the target being brought back to life if the process needs an intact body.
    • Death to the Soul: At 20th level, the assassin is killing kings and warlords, who tend to have clerics on tap. Clerics who have annoying spells like Ressurection at their whims, which only need a toenail to get your employer annoyed. However, there is a knife for every creature and a trick for every problem, and the problem at hand can be solved by the ready mutilation of the soul. A target that fails their save against this ability (which is a supernatural ability) dies on the spot, just like the Death Attack ability. However, the slain target's soul is shattered and torn beyond reclaiming, and so nothing short of epic spells may bring back the deceased.

At 13th level, all Precise Attacks gain the effect of a Dizzying Strike, in addition to the other chosen ability. At 16th level, all Precise Attacks gain the effect of either a Dizzying Strike or a Paralysing Strike AND the other effect, all chosen by the assassin at the time of the Precise Attack.

Evasion (Ex): At 2nd level and higher, an assassin can avoid even magical and unusual attacks with great agility. If they make a successful Reflex saving throw against an attack that normally deals half damage on a successful save, they instead take no damage. Evasion can be used only if the assassin is wearing light armor or no armor. A helpless assassin does not gain the benefit of evasion.

Poison Use: From 2nd level, assassins are fully trained in the use of poison and never risk accidentally poisoning themselves when applying poison to a blade.

Tough Soul (Ex): From 3rd level, the assassin gains a +4 untyped bonus against all all poisons, and effects that would deal negative levels, ability damage or ability drain to the assassin. At 14th level, this is superseded by Hardy Soul (see below).

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Starting at 4th level, an assassin can react to danger before their senses would normally allow them to do so. They retain their Dexterity bonus to AC (if any) even if they are caught flat-footed or struck by an invisible attacker. However, they still loses their Dexterity bonus to AC if immobilized.
    If an assassin already has uncanny dodge from a different class then they automatically gain improved uncanny dodge instead.

Shadows All Around (Su): At 5th level, the assassin can use basic magic tricks to make the shadows hide them all the better. The assassin gains a circumstance bonus to Hide and Move Silently checks equal to 1/2 their Assassin levels.

Improved Uncanny Dodge (Ex): From 8th level and onwards, the assassin can no longer be flanked, unless the attacker has at least four more rogue levels than the assassin has assassin levels.

Arcane Precision (Su): At 9th level and onwards, the assassin can channel their magic into their weapon when taking advantage of an opponents vulnerabilities. When the assassin makes a sneak attack, the assassin can expend a spell slot as a free action to increase the extra damage by xd6, where x is the level of the spell slot expended. The assassin may only expend one spell slot in this way at a time.

Hidden Knife (Su): At 11th level, the assassin has truly become magical in nature, and rebukes any attempt to find them. From 11th level onwards, any spell, power, or similar magic effect used to find out any information about the assassin always allows the assassin to make a Will save to negate the effect. Additionally, the assassin gains a +5 untyped bonus against any such effect.

Hide in Plain Sight (Ex): At 12th level, finding an assassin becomes as likely as finding a needle in a haystack in a coal mine in Limbo. From 12th level, an assassin can use the Hide skill even while being observed or without any cover without penalty.

Hardy Soul (Ex): At 14th level, the assassin becomes immune to all poisons, negative levels, ability damage and ability drain.

Death to All (Ex): At 15th level, the assassin cannot be stopped, regardless of type, magic, or life. Construct? Have a knife in the optical sensor. Plant? Take a sword in the stamen! Undead? Then we'll just hit you so hard that the dust'll be the largest of your remains! From 15th level, the assassin ignores all immunity to critical hits and precision damage, namely the assassin's Sneak Attack and by extension their Precise Attack.

Knife through the Barrier (Ex): At 17th level, the assassin truly is impossible to stop, as a wall of three foot thick adamantine might as well be a thin sheet of paper when the assassin wills it. Once per day as a free action, the assassin may choose to activate this ability, which makes all attacks made by the assassin during the next 3 rounds become treated as melee touch attacks.

No Dark Secrets (Ex): At 18th level, the assassin's senses are so refined that they could quite reliably find the aforementioned needle in the haystack in the coal mine in Limbo. The assassin gains the ability to see perfectly in darkness, even magical darkness, and the assassin also gains immunity to blindness and being deafened.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-12-15 at 04:14 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Knife in the back, DEATH ATTACK! [3.5, Base Class, PEACH!]

So by 15th level you're killing every single thing you come in contact with, regardless of anything they do?

3. - Top - End - #3

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    So by 15th level you're killing every single thing you come in contact with, regardless of anything they do?
    Wait, what? It's once every three turns. And there's a save. And you need to successfully hit the critter. And it was Death to All or make the assassin pay money to have a reliable way of using their main class ability at the higher levels, which seemed cruel. If you're talking about the actual death attack itself, it's no worse than the original version (other than the save DC that isn't pathetic, and the fact that you can instagib a lich or something).
    ERROR: Forgot the whole "Gotta look at who you're attacking for three turns first" bit. My bad.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-12-14 at 10:30 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

First of all, for Death to the Soul, you shouldn't have wish and miracle fix a death that true resurrection cannot. After all, wish and miracle can only replicate 8th level and lower effects, or their own abilities, while true resurrection is a 9th level spell that is devoted to resurrecting. Just like wish can't free a person who is imprisoned, it shouldn't be able to save someone who can't be saved by a true resurrection.

Secondly, please add the part about rogues 4 levels higher being able to flank you to your Improved Uncanny Dodge ability.

For Poison Use, I have an issue with it coming in at 3rd level. You are a master of death. No one should be better at killing people than you. And ninjas get Poison Use at 2nd level. So you should too. No reason you couldn't, you only get Evasion and a 1st level spell there anyway.

Arcane Precision - That's pretty harsh, forcing yourself to expend an immediate action on your own turn. I'd say there's no reason this shouldn't be a free action. After all, you're burning a spell just to deal some extra damage, it's not really that useful (no better than the Arcane Strike feat, and that doesn't cost an action)

Hidden Knife - I suggest you just go ahead and change this to be an always active nondetection ability with a caster level equal to your class level.

Hardy Soul - With the whole "immunity to decay" thing here, I think you should add immunity to negative levels here as well.

Death to All - Perfect ability. Wouldn't change it. Nice to see.

Knife through the Barrier - We all love X-men, but the D&D material is called "adamantine", not "adamantium".

Good class! Nicely built into 20 levels.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Evasion is an extraordinary ability, not a super natural one.

Other than that, I really like it. Will have to try this class out at some point.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Evasion is an extraordinary ability, not a super natural one.
    Gotcha

Other than that, I really like it. Will have to try this class out at some point.
    Tell me how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    First of all, for Death to the Soul, you shouldn't have wish and miracle fix a death that true resurrection cannot. After all, wish and miracle can only replicate 8th level and lower effects, or their own abilities, while true resurrection is a 9th level spell that is devoted to resurrecting. Just like wish can't free a person who is imprisoned, it shouldn't be able to save someone who can't be saved by a true resurrection.
    When I think of spells that you can do anything with, I think of Wish and Miracle. I think i'll just say "If you're not epic, it's not working".

Secondly, please add the part about rogues 4 levels higher being able to flank you to your Improved Uncanny Dodge ability.
    I'll throw rogues a bone then.

For Poison Use, I have an issue with it coming in at 3rd level. You are a master of death. No one should be better at killing people than you. And ninjas get Poison Use at 2nd level. So you should too. No reason you couldn't, you only get Evasion and a 1st level spell there anyway.
    Cool. What shall I put in 3rd level to replace it then?

Arcane Precision - That's pretty harsh, forcing yourself to expend an immediate action on your own turn. I'd say there's no reason this shouldn't be a free action. After all, you're burning a spell just to deal some extra damage, it's not really that useful (no better than the Arcane Strike feat, and that doesn't cost an action)
    Huh. Free action it is. I always get those two mixed up anyway.

Hidden Knife - I suggest you just go ahead and change this to be an always active nondetection ability with a caster level equal to your class level.
    I prefer my version. It's more all-encompassing.

Hardy Soul - With the whole "immunity to decay" thing here, I think you should add immunity to negative levels here as well.
    Cool.

Death to All - Perfect ability. Wouldn't change it. Nice to see.
    Cool x 2.

Knife through the Barrier - We all love X-men, but the D&D material is called "adamantine", not "adamantium".
    Why must they make all the really hard metals sound the same?!

Good class! Nicely built into 20 levels.
    I work to please.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

7. - Top - End - #7

For a 3rd level ability, I would say either receiving a +4 bonus on saves against poison (as a precursor to the immunity, and it's actually really helpful, at lower levels poison can devastate your weaker stats and with your weak Fort save you would appreciate the help) or getting the Vexing Flanker feat as a bonus feat (+4 to your attack rolls when you flank, instead of +2)

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    For a 3rd level ability, I would say either receiving a +4 bonus on saves against poison (as a precursor to the immunity, and it's actually really helpful, at lower levels poison can devastate your weaker stats and with your weak Fort save you would appreciate the help) or getting the Vexing Flanker feat as a bonus feat (+4 to your attack rolls when you flank, instead of +2)
    I shall add the poison resistance in. A similar question - what to fill 18th level with?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    I shall add the poison resistance in. A similar question - what to fill 18th level with?
    The ability to Craft a poison that costs twice as much, but can be applied to to up to 50 tips of ammunition and lasts indefinitely, so you can pre-poison your arrows or bolts.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I like the class a lot. Arcane Precision is a cool addition. Overall it keeps the feel of Assassin while making me actually want to play one.

As for level 18, why not something that helps counter other assassins? Something like See in Darkness, True Vision, Blindsight or even just Darkvision. If you're wanting to use darkness to your advantage, you'd best be able to tell if someone else is trying to do the same.
    "By 'for fun' do you mean 'to kill us?'" - Me, about the DM rolling a d20 several times for no known reason.

"You have my sword." - the Fighter.
    "And my bow." - the Ranger.
    "And my acts!" - me, the Bard.

My Final Fantasy Homebrew and Pathfinder Updating! PEACH always welcome.

Current Homebrew:
    PF "Dragon Shaman" - Paladin Alternate Class

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Rapidghoul View Post
    As for level 18, why not something that helps counter other assassins? Something like See in Darkness, True Vision, Blindsight or even just Darkvision. If you're wanting to use darkness to your advantage, you'd best be able to tell if someone else is trying to do the same.
    If you go with this suggestion, definitely take see in darkness. It's an 18th level ability, you don't want to get just darkvision. (True seeing is a bit sketchy for a wizard-lite like an assassin, and blindsight is okay, but it's not "sight", so you wouldn't be able to use your Precision techniques in magical darkness then)

12. - Top - End - #12

All good ideas. See in Darkness it is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Glad you liked the idea. The inclusion of blindness/deafness immunity is a nice touch to make sure they won't be snuck up on.
    "By 'for fun' do you mean 'to kill us?'" - Me, about the DM rolling a d20 several times for no known reason.

"You have my sword." - the Fighter.
    "And my bow." - the Ranger.
    "And my acts!" - me, the Bard.

My Final Fantasy Homebrew and Pathfinder Updating! PEACH always welcome.

Current Homebrew:
    PF "Dragon Shaman" - Paladin Alternate Class

14. - Top - End - #14

See in Darkness is a supernatural ability, not an extraordinary one.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quick question. Do the precise attack abilities stack or not? I.e, would a 10th level Assassin use dizzying, paralyzing and ruining strike, or only the most powerful one?

Also, you forgot to change evasion from (Su) to (Ex). Minor nit pick, but it will prevent arguments in the long run.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

16. - Top - End - #16

Quick question. Do the precise attack abilities stack or not? I.e, would a 10th level Assassin use dizzying, paralyzing and ruining strike, or only the most powerful one?
    As it is now, you pick any one on the list that you qualify for, but it depends. How powerful would it be if you were allowed multiple effects (2-3) at once?

Also, you forgot to change evasion from (Su) to (Ex). Minor nit pick, but it will prevent arguments in the long run.
    Gotcha.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2011-12-15 at 03:19 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Dizzying strike, at least, should definitely stack with everything. You are hitting hard, so you should be able to throw someone off balance for a few moments no matter what you hit.

Paralyzing strike, maybe. Stabbing someone in the ribs, even if it doesn't kill them, is certainly going to shock them for a short while.

Ruining strike, probably. You might not kill someone, but you will seriously cut them. If you do decide to stack Ruinging Strike with death strike and death to the soul, you should add a clause that states it deals CON damage, instead of strength.

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

18. - Top - End - #18

Dizzying strike, at least, should definitely stack with everything. You are hitting hard, so you should be able to throw someone off balance for a few moments no matter what you hit.

Paralyzing strike, maybe. Stabbing someone in the ribs, even if it doesn't kill them, is certainly going to shock them for a short while.

Ruining strike, probably. You might not kill someone, but you will seriously cut them. If you do decide to stack Ruinging Strike with death strike and death to the soul, you should add a clause that states it deals CON damage, instead of strength.
    I shall definitely allow Dizzying and Paralyzing strike to stack to fill some boring levels then, but i'll leave Ruining Strike alone. Maybe i'll invent a feat for that + other stuff.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga