New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default What are people's favorite powers?

Effectively, what powers would people want to be able to have in a game most? Why? The powers can be from any media or source, I just want to have a general list of things people want in a game.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: What are people's favorite powers?

Wolverine, because who would want his powers?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

As a player Teleportation is the best thing to have

As a G.M. the Players having Teleportation is the worst thing for them to have
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Difficult question to answer, it does depend on the game though, but some general powers I would love to have in a game:

Shapeshifting
    Bending as in Avatar the last Airbender; but not restricted to the elements in the show, include things like metal, shadows, light, etc.
    Telepathy
    Magic (perhaps more controlled than in D&D)
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

5. - Top - End - #5
    Spamalot in the Playground

Clairsentience. The whole thing really. I'd be the next Warren Buffet and nobody would even be sure that I have powers.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGuy

The ability to do magic and have it affect the world as much as the rule books imply.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

This. 'Nuff said.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Interesting. I have a sub query: Would magic be acceptable as a power? As in Wolverine, Spiderman, and then the Magician? <-Not a serious grouping, just showing an example.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Well there is Dr. Strange and IIRC Dr. Doom did have some magic powers, not to mention the Scarlet Witch, Niko Minoru and the other wizard/magician/sorcerers from the marvel verse.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

I believe cracked.com's AfterHours folks actually came up with the Best Answer for the Win- Zack from Saved by the Bell had the power to stop time and therefore every incident in his life always went the way he wanted it to.
    I will be master of "pushy pull slidy nothingf@c$1ng stacks" also known as 4th edition.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Does Deadpool's ability to see through the fourth wall count?

Seriously, though, it depends on the genre. Certain powers are more suited to a superhero game than heroic fantasy or vice versa.
    Last edited by flumphy; 2011-11-07 at 12:02 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Troll in the Playground

The power to wear white clothing without being murdered is one of the greatest and most prestigious powers in Paranoia. I kind of like white clothes, so that's a pretty neat power to have.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    The power to wear white clothing without being murdered is one of the greatest and most prestigious powers in Paranoia. I kind of like white clothes, so that's a pretty neat power to have.
    I...Don't get it.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

I have two choices.

One, control what people sense and perceive. Guy tries to mug you? He drops to the groud screaming, feeling himself burn as he watches his clothing flutter away as little wisps of ash and smells his body roast. Physically, he's totally fine, aside from people possibly laughing and wondering what he's doing. Alternatively, make him see Cthulu rip out of your chest and speak to him. Yeah. I know.

Two, control what people think. Not consciously, but those little gut urges you get. "Run", "Fear", "Respect", "Eat", those sorts of things. Tap into the animal brain and saddle it up.
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I...Don't get it.
    In the game of Paranoia, if you wear white clothes (having earned the right to do so), you are at the top of the society and can basically do whatever you want, which generally means 'act like a James Bond Supervillian'.

16. - Top - End - #16

Time control is always #1 for me. Slow things down to impress people, time it completely for total freedom, rewind it for everything else.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Orc in the Playground

Regeneration is my favourite, because not only are you immortal (in the 'not dying of old age' sense) but you're also damn difficult to kill, especially by accident. I'd love to live and observe people over centuries. I suppose if you count it as part of the 'body control' power it would also be pretty awesome to do the 'body as a weapon' thing a la T-1000 (Terminator 2) or Lust (Full Metal Alchemist), but that's more like icing on the cake for me. Stock regeneration is all I really want. Barring that, I'd go for telekinesis - nearly any level of that would make be happy... in my pants.

I'm not sure magic or 'being a psychic' (telepathy+telekinesis and especially with... god forbid... being able to manipulate matter on a molecular level) really can count. They seem to basically be a variety of superpowers rolled into one. You know... 'And if I can do THAT, I can do ANYTHING!' material. It feels like cheating to me But to each their own. For some reason weather manipulation seems fine to me and that's technically multiple powers - I suppose because it doesn't quite have the same level of flexibility?
    Last edited by Elfinor; 2011-11-07 at 02:59 AM.

Awesome Avatar by TinyMushroom

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I agree that they are more versatile than normal ones, but magic doesn't necessarily equal power. Think of how people thought of witches in the 17th century; they might be able to kill someone's cattle or poison them from a distance, but it doesn't stop the farmers from trussing them up and killing them.

Regeneration has been added to the list!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

Since time manipulation is already taken:
    Space manipulation

Teleport? Meh, that's like settling for sugar when you have quality chocolate.

The ability to change the structure of space locally. Don't want someone to get to you? Bam, the area around him suddenly has a hyperbolic geometry, now he has to run an infinite amount of distance to go anywhere.

Create a non-orientable wormhole and have your very own Through the Looking Glass effect. (as well as simutaneously doing all manners of horribleness to conservation laws)
    - Best to not play around with the Alice universe though. Matter turns into antimatter over there so no one is likely to live very long.

Trap a bullet into a 3-torus and watch it go round and round the same place indefinitely. Maybe you can put one on your shelf for display.

FTL travel (the Alcubierre metric is within reach!). And by extension, closed time-like curves. Of the self-consistent kind. Far more powerful than time rewind.
    Last edited by jseah; 2011-11-07 at 03:55 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

You can cheese telekinesis pretty bad with a rudimentary knowledge of physics to produce nearly any super power or magic effect.

For example, if you have the ability to pull all of the air in a large radius into a very small radius, the resulting temperature, pressure, and oxygen saturation would cause instantaneous combustion of anything flammable much like an internal combustion engine does.
    Last edited by ZerglingOne; 2011-11-07 at 04:49 AM.
    You could make a cartoon in crayons about a red square that falls in unrequited love with a blue circle, and there wouldn’t be a dry eye in the house if you know how to tell a story.
    -Don Hertzfeldt

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

1). Healing powers - Regeneration is fine for yourself but it's usefulness increases exponentially when you have the power to heal other people as well. If you have the ability to cure cancer, regrow peoples limbs, reverse the effects of aging, and cure normally incurable diseases with a touch then you've got near unlimited potential.

Be a good Samaritan and heal people for free? Check. Be a recluse and just keep yourself healthy forever? Go ahead. Become a miracle doctor and cure people for lots of money? Hey, you've got a jab as long as people with money enjoy living. Become a villainous cult leader who claims to be the chosen avatar of the god of life and instigate a plan to overthrow all other religions and take over the world? Hey, you're immortal as long as you heal yourself and you can actually give your followers eternal life! You've already got two huge advantages over every other cult leader in history and some of them have started nations.

2). Matter manipulation - Sort of like the alchemy powers from Full Metal Alchemist, basically the power to turn random garbage into more useful stuff. That would be incredibly useful for getting rid of garbage or making hard to make stuff.

3). Owning a self-replicating spaceship - I've been playing Space Pirates and Zombies alot lately (got it on sale on Steam) and it cool because you can build ships using material mined from asteroids. A ship like that combines space travel (explore the universe as much as you want), self-sufficiency (mine asteroids to get the materials then fabricate whatever you need as long as you've got blueprints), and a mobile base of operations.

I suppose depending on the setting you could replace that with flying ships, a TARDIS, or similar.

4). Flight and weather manipulation - Kind of like the pegasus ponies from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Fly wherever you want and have the option of resting on top of clouds or building a base there. Plus I'm sure you can find some useful things to do with the weather manipulation abilities.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Audious View Post
    Randel, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Vastly improved memory and cognition. The ability to effortlessly learn languages, to never need to study, and the numerous other things that come with it appeal to me far more than most anything else.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

23. - Top - End - #23

...how has Super Speed not been brought up yet? Surely people on giantitp have read the Flash?

Well, calling it now; Super Speed is the god mode power. When someone tries to stop time at you, you can react faster than they can think, outrun the light barrier, go back to before they started triggering their power and punch them in the face with a fist that is hitting with the force of all the mass in the universe, because Energy=Mass and the Energy required for a object with mass to break the light barrier is infinite, then you have infinite mass at that speed.

And thats not even starting on the whole "Outrun the personification of Death" thing.

And yes, I could go back in time and save those catgirls who just cried out in terror and keeled over.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

In no particular order...
    Teleportation
    Temporal Manipulation
    Reality Alteration
    are my top 3. Any time I play any game I check for some variation on these 3 and then build around it.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

25. - Top - End - #25
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tailsteak
    Probably the most popular hypothetical situation is the superpowers one. If you could have any superpower... You know what ninety percent of people say? [nasal voice] "Ooh, I'd take the ability to fly because I always love it when I fly in my dreams and plus I'd never be late to work ha ha!"

**** you! You could have the ability to do anything. Anything! You could end world hunger! You could cure AIDS! And you picked a power that can be easily replicated with a couple of yards of nylon and a cliff.

You know what superpower I'd pick? The ability to give other people superpowers. You can't tell me it doesn't exist! Somebody used it on me!

So here, all the people who want to end world hunger, form a line to my left, I'll be giving you the ability to shoot linguine noodles out of your wrists like Spider-man. Everyone who wants to cure the world's diseases, form a line down the middle, your spit is now vaccines, go make out with people. Everyone who wants end war, form a line to my right, I'll be giving you the ability to bring people back to life, effectively turning all armed conflict into one big game of force-feedback laser tag. Everyone who wants to be able to fly? Fire escape's that way. Good luck.
    I'm disappointed in all of you.

Spoiler
    Show

<Flickerdart> So theoretically the master vampire can control three bonused dire weasels, who in turn each control five sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> The sub-weasels can each control two other sub-weasels
    <Flickerdart> It's like a pyramid scheme, except the payoff is bleeding to death!

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Dr. Manhattan's powers is closest to what most people want.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

27. - Top - End - #27
    Banned

Time Stop is the best. Super Regeneration & Invisibility are a close second

28. - Top - End - #28

Do over, unlimited.
    How do you keep a fool busy? Turn upside down for answer.
    ˙ɹǝʍsuɐ ɹoɟ uʍop ǝpısdn uɹnʇ ¿ʎsnq ןooɟ ɐ dǝǝʞ noʎ op ʍoɥ

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Shapeshifting, even if limited by mass conservation and only to 'real' living things. Simply because its so flipping versatile.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Sith_Happens View Post
    This. 'Nuff said.
    More like this.

Also, Alchemy from FMA would be pretty cool.