New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Undead / Zombie Hunter?

This came up in my last session, so I thought I'd bring it here and see what the community thought, and if you had any input.

How would one go about building almost a Van Helsing kind of character, that just went after undead or monsters? I'm not a fan of all the religiousy stuff in game and my characters don't ever have religion, so I'd like it to not be an inquisitor or cleric.

Building the loner that travels the lands with a dark cloak, lots of ammo, and the wit to win.

Any input?
    Freedom is to say that two plus two equals four, if that is granted, all else will follow.

http://the-ethan-yazel.deviantart.com

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Undead / Zombie Hunter?

Ranger with Favored Enemy: Undead. See if you can trade out, say, your animal companion for paladin-style Turn Undead. Maybe switch out the ranger spell list for the paladin one as well.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Are you sure you don't want just a single level Cleric dip to get Turn Undead so you can enter the Hunter of the Dead (CA) prestige class?

No? Well... if Complete Psionic is okay with you, why don't you try out the Lurk (one of their augments is Sneak Attack, Undead) or a Soulknife/Illumine Soul, which has a a nifty undead bane permanently applied to his mind blade and positive energy based powers as well as Death Ward?

Otherwise... you could start as something like a Rogue or a Spellthief and use the Penetrating Strike ACF or Razing Strike, both are okay against undead and constructs.
    The Pen is mightier than the Sword - when the message is written in Blood.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

In addition to being a ranger(or at least a 1 level dip into it) expedition to castle ravenloft(oddly) has a few undead fighting based feats and items.
    Also (if you’re willing to import from pf, or are using pf) the crossbow based ranged may be a interesting option flavour-wise, it also has a crunch benefit if you’re using the alchemical flare bolts from expedition to castle ravenloft.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

5. - Top - End - #5
    Halfling in the Playground

For my monster hunter I went with a factotum who took font of inspiration and knowledge devotion. Max ranks in know(religion, arcana and dungeonering). Loaded him up with holy symbols, holy water, wood steaks, silver and cold iron weapons and rocked it. Van Hellsing and John Constantine got nothing on Alister Frost, Monster Hunter MD.