New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Epic Planar Travel

I need an Epic Spell that can allow an Epic Spellcaster to take an entire planet (roughly the size of the earth) to an entirely different plane does anyone know how this would work? how high the DC would be? or can even conceive the actually spell for this?
    Cult of the Playground est. 2011

Proud owner of 1 internet

Cult of the Playground Highly endorses the ideals of the Tippyverse, World Optimization and "Paradise". its Clerics are encouraged to Optimize everything that they set there sights on. Perfection is our goal.
    to join simply copy this.

Doctrine
    Spoiler
    Show

Killing a God, By Tippy
    Has your party been checked for DWS

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Epic Planar Travel

Maybe make a Gate with a radius slightly bigger than the planet's and put it in the (precisely calculated) way of the planet's orbit, but fixed to a different astronomical body? That way you don't have r^3 to worry about, just r, since it'd scale with the radius of the portal rather than the mass going through it.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Teleport Planet

Spellcraft DC: 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Area: 20,925,525 feet
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows the caster to teleport a planet from it's current location to any other location on any plane.

Let's see, change from Target to area (20 foot radius); that's +10 DC. Now Earth has a radius of 6378.1 kilometers which is 1,046,276.25 times that radius.

So multiple that by 4 and the DC to cover the planet is 4,185,105.

Now add +25 to make it contingent on a specific trigger (this way you can pre cast it and then store it for later use).

Now add +4 for interplanar transport.

That's a DC (pre mitigation) of 4,185,171.

Now to mitigate that away let's use 4,185,171 casters sacrificing first level slots.

So the final DC is 0.

You might want to double that to make sure that you grab the atmosphere and whatnot as well.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Teleport Planet

Spellcraft DC: 0
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 minute
    Range: Touch
    Area: 20,925,525 feet
    Duration: Instantaneous
    Saving Throw: None
    Spell Resistance: No

This spell allows the caster to teleport a planet from it's current location to any other location on any plane.

Let's see, change from Target to area (20 foot radius); that's +10 DC. Now Earth has a radius of 6378.1 kilometers which is 1,046,276.25 times that radius.

So multiple that by 4 and the DC to cover the planet is 4,185,105.

Now add +25 to make it contingent on a specific trigger (this way you can pre cast it and then store it for later use).

Now add +4 for interplanar transport.

That's a DC (pre mitigation) of 4,185,171.

Now to mitigate that away let's use 4,185,171 casters sacrificing first level slots.

So the final DC is 0.

You might want to double that to make sure that you grab the atmosphere and whatnot as well.
    If you increase the casting time to 1 hour and get the wizards to expend 4 spell slots, or even cantrip slots, you might be able to get that down to 1,000,000 casters. Basically, you'd have to get every wizard in the world to do it. You'd probably need to make ANOTHER epic spell just to coordinate it.
    Last edited by Thomar_of_Uointer; 2011-11-20 at 02:07 AM.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thomar_of_Uointer View Post
    If you increase the casting time to 1 hour and get the wizards to expend 4 spell slots, or even cantrip slots, you might be able to get that down to 1,000,000 casters. Basically, you'd have to get every wizard in the world to do it. You'd probably need to make ANOTHER epic spell just to coordinate it.
    Listening to Two Steps from Hell and reading that gave me an idea. And chills.

Congratulations.
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Well, by my recent calculations on average number of classed NPCs:

An average Metropolis (adult population 25,000+) should have four each of: Cleric 16, Druid 16, Adept 16, Wizard 14, Sorcerer 14. Then eight each of 8th/7th level, then sixteen each of 4th/3rd level then thirty-two each of 2nd/1st, and sixty-four more 1st of each of the Clr/Drd/Adp. So that's 5*(4+8+16+32)+3*64= 492 casters per metropolis. Even with only four 1st level slots between them you should only need the cooperation of every spellcaster in about 500 metropolises and some change.

Average numbers don't work out nearly so well with anything smaller than a large city (since you could have anywhere from 0 to 3 total casters per class depending on the die) and it's easier to coordinate at only the largest population centers anyway. Don't ask me to run the numbers if you want to pull more slots out of them though, I wouldn't be surprised if I botched this easy stuff. It's probably quite possible with an entire nation working together , at least until someone who disagrees disrupts the spell.
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness