New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Advice for a Mass Effect game

Hey Playground, since there isn't any official system or campaign setting for a Mass Effect game, I was looking for a system in which I can run a said game on. Some people have told me about GURPS and Traveller for it, but I want to know what you think. The system has to be able to support Biotics (Psionic Powers basically), Tech powers (device-based powers), Kinetic Shields, Airship combat and Vehicle combat. The setting is the Mass Effect setting which is basically, Sci-Fi.

Thanks in advance.
    Previously known as Dorian Soth.

Pokémon Friend Codes!

Spoiler
    Show

Pokémon Platinum
    2065-8881-0711

Pokémon Black
    1764-5885-4832

Pokémon White 2
    5115-3060-5236

Also, my 3DS Friend Code is:
    0619-3578-2378

PM me before you add me

Check my stuff!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: Advice for a Mass Effect game

There is a D6 game out there somewhere it was mentioned on a topic and had a link.
    I believe the pdf is on Mediafire or scribd.
    I don't know. If its not I'll do something about that. Or someone else can post a link
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Personally I think Star Wars Saga Edition is pretty great for Mass Effect universe. I own about all the books and you can model some pretty interesting abilities with talents.

Sure you won't be able to make drones until you get into a prestige class, and ammo powers don't exactly exist. But all in all I think it works fine. You might need to trim some of the force powers though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

http://www.bozark.com/mass/x/downloads.html

Personally, I like the races in the version 1.11, and the other material in 1.0.

With that, you're going to want d6 Space:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index....=0_0_0_10020_0

Which is a big mess of free funness, and you can find all sorts of cheap/free Star Wars resources to mix in.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

My Dm and I were actually considering something like this for our next game.

We we're actually figuring we could adapt 4th Edition Shadowrun. Remove technomancy, make hacking work closer to how ti does in ME, turn magic into biotics and you've got half the deal right there.

The toughest part would be figuring out how to model kinetic shields without breaking the system, and modeling space/vehicle combat.
    "And if you don't, the consequences will be dire!"
    "What? They'll have three extra hit dice and a rend attack?"

Factotum Variants!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Noventa View Post
    My Dm and I were actually considering something like this for our next game.

We we're actually figuring we could adapt 4th Edition Shadowrun. Remove technomancy, make hacking work closer to how ti does in ME, turn magic into biotics and you've got half the deal right there.

The toughest part would be figuring out how to model kinetic shields without breaking the system, and modeling space/vehicle combat.
    Seriously, take a look at the Mass Effect d6. If you want, you can even use MEd6 numbers with Shadowrun dice rules (i.e. 5+ is a success). The totals would be lower in ME (since attributes run 1d-5d, and skills are usually only 1d-3d on top of that for starting characters), but it's got the same quick-determine, and they've already worked out Kinetic Barriers and space combat.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Use Diaspora!
    http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/

It's got the best space combat of any system I've ever played (movement is based on relative distance and velocity rather than absolute, which is awesome), scales well from single characters all the way up to armies, and the default weapon rules match Mass Effect firearms almost exactly.