New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

Default Is this Belkars killer?

We all know Belkar's death has been long foreshadowed, no wait, explicitly told, by Rich. And there have been speculations that his time is closing in on him, Belkar is in a colosseum where it's very likely that he'll die.
    In this comic I believe it is foreshadowed (3rd row, 3rd panel) "Later the weaker gladiator will be killed, and then you will kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle".
    At this point I believe the weaker one is killed, we can see the one who is going to avenge him in the previous link at the last panel, but with only one exception to the trainers speech is that the guy who got his bread stolen wasn't the one who was killed.

So what do you guys think? Yet another kooky theory or does it have any merit?
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Is this Belkars killer?

Very unlikely. I doubt the Giant will have the death of a major character be done so uneventfully by some no-name character. And not any random person is going to be able to take down Belkar at his high level.

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

But the guy who defended the "weaker" gladiator was killed by Belkar. It is the weaker gladiator who is left, not the stronger one. See the final panel of the first strip you cite and compare it with the other strip. (EDIT: I see you mention this at the end of the OP)

The gladiator master was just mentioning cliches. That doesn't mean they'll necessarily happen.
    Last edited by ThePhantasm; 2011-10-27 at 05:39 PM.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Yeah, apart from the stealing-bread bit, nothing the trainer spoke about has happened.

And now it looks like our heroes are out of the arena (for good? - I find it hard to imagine Tarquin throwing them back now, that would just be repetitious), there's no time left to catch the eye of a beautiful noblewoman. So the rest of the programme is probably off now, as well.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

And no, Vaarsuvius is not a noble. S/he is the offspring of two Rangers. Just heading off that argument real quick. Don't mind me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kodan View Post
    I must be the least observant person on the planet.

I JUST noticed, after reading the comic since 2007ish, THAT V HAS BEEN WEARING A CLOAK SINCE COMIC 1

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

Considering that the gladiator killed by Mr. Scruffy in the second strip you link to was the putative "avenger" from the first, the situation you describe is, for better or worse, impossible.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Nevereatcars View Post
    And no, Vaarsuvius is not a noble. S/he is the offspring of two Rangers. Just heading off that argument real quick. Don't mind me.
    There's also that question mark above the whole "woman" thing, of course.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Actually, if you consider the guy Belkar fought to be the weak guy, who again was it that offered to give up his own bread?

Hmm.....

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rČ+RČ-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Geordnet View Post
    Actually, if you consider the guy Belkar fought to be the weak guy, who again was it that offered to give up his own bread?

Hmm.....
    Second this.
    Ain't no party like a Donner Party, 'cus a Donner Party don't stop 'til we run out of children.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    There's also that question mark above the whole "woman" thing, of course.
    And that V has shown exactly zero sexual interest in Roy, and considerably less than that for Belkar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Flame of Anor View Post
    And that V has shown exactly zero sexual interest in Roy, and considerably less than that for Belkar.
    Or, indeed, sexual interest in anyone.
    >>softly open our mouths in the cold

12. - Top - End - #12
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfFighterGuy

Umm... Belkar didn't kill the weaker one. He killed the one who stuck up for the "weaker" one when Belkar stole his bread. Rich was making fun of gladiator cliche's.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Goosefarble View Post
    Or, indeed, sexual interest in anyone.
    I was thinking of Inkyrius...but, yeah, you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    Attempting to use Iron Heart Surge can often lead to the player removing the 'not being beaten upside the head' condition.
    avatar by me. Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #14

DwarfClericGuy

*AHEM*

Let's get back to the actual topic, now...

For those who didn't get my post, I was saying that the guy Belkar fought was the 'weaker gladiator', (what, being a first level commoner and all) and not taking the speech 100% litterally.

But then I made a connection to Roy being the 'stronger gladiator', as he offered to give up his bread.

So, essentially I was implying that Roy would be the one to kill Belkar.
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2011-10-28 at 02:58 PM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rČ+RČ-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, right. That theory.

I guess anything is possible, but I'm partial to the idea that an IFCC controlled V will kill him.
    "And yet, will we ever come to an end of discussion and talk if we think we must always reply to replies? For replies come from those who either cannot understand what is said to them, or are so stubborn and contentious that they refuse to give in even if they do understand." - St. Augustine

The Index of the Giant's Comments | Thanks, Bradakhan, for the avatar!

16. - Top - End - #16

DwarfClericGuy

Sure, of course. Really though, I don't see any one character as being more likely to kill Belkar than any of the others; I was just trying to make a joke, or something like that...

(Sadly, not everyone got it, and what humor there was dried up when I had to explain it.)

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rČ+RČ-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Being killed by a gladiator requires him to go back into the arena. It would be extremely pointless and simply wasting time for them to head back in there in the middle of a fight with the Linear Guild.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    We all know Belkar's death has been long foreshadowed, no wait, explicitly told, by Rich. And there have been speculations that his time is closing in on him, Belkar is in a colosseum where it's very likely that he'll die.
    In this comic I believe it is foreshadowed (3rd row, 3rd panel) "Later the weaker gladiator will be killed, and then you will kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle".
    At this point I believe the weaker one is killed, we can see the one who is going to avenge him in the previous link at the last panel, but with only one exception to the trainers speech is that the guy who got his bread stolen wasn't the one who was killed.

So what do you guys think? Yet another kooky theory or does it have any merit?
    I think there is more to this then most people think. I agree that the guy's ability to "kill the one who killed him in a big climatic battle" with Belkar is slim to non but that does not mean he will not be the one to kill Belkar. If he does kill him I see it happening after Belkar has a fight with some one else and is reduced to negative hit points but stabalizes before death. And as he is lying there waiting to be healed the other gladiator shows up an finishes him off. It subverts the big climatic match but will probably follow the "strong homosexual overtones that will not be fully explored".
    Last edited by KingFlameHawk; 2011-10-28 at 09:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

*AHEM*

Let's get back to the actual topic, now...

For those who didn't get my post, I was saying that the guy Belkar fought was the 'weaker gladiator', (what, being a first level commoner and all) and not taking the speech 100% litterally.

But then I made a connection to Roy being the 'stronger gladiator', as he offered to give up his bread.

its actually plausible, in that case it would sorta be like in the third(?) harry potter book where harry sees who he thinks is his dad, leading him to go back in time to taht spot to see his dad only to reason who he sees is himself making him step out to save himself leading himself to go back to taht spot

if the end of the year comes ond Belkar is still both alive and well and perhaps hurting the OoTS in some way then roy may kill Belkar because he thinks that due to the prophecy he was always supposed to

20. - Top - End - #20

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Nevereatcars View Post
    "Mister" scruffy has been female all along then, of course

21. - Top - End - #21
    Halfling in the Playground

Chimera

Oh, but looky here. First panel: our beloved "weaker gladiator" is unconscious at the feet of Enor. Presumably he has been bested by someone, and if he gets knocked out by some gladiator, even if it is Enor, there are very slim odds that he'll be able to kill a high-level PC like Belkar.

--QN

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

i thought there was a bit of a worry along the lines that enor, being half dragon half ogre or watever, would be stronger than Roy or Belkar or pretty much anyone really, if he fought them without any of there weapons (kinda like how roy with the club got whooped by miko, but once he had his sword back he took her down in about 3 hits)

EDIT: just remembered the bar brawl, with roy grabbing enor by the tail and smashing him down, so i guess its possible roy could take enor down unarmed if he just repeatedly did that, haha
    Last edited by zegram 33; 2011-10-29 at 05:06 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Halfling in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Roy killing Belkar was entirely plausible before Belkar's character development. I personally believe Belkar will be killed by The Snarl.
    Flumph > Snarl

Your broken corpses will taste delicious lightly seasoned with nutmeg!

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    I, however, am allowed to respond to your complaints and tell you why I think you are wrong, as are others. If they do so in an overwhelming majority, that does not retroactively negate your freedom to complain. Everyone disagreeing with you does not mean you were being prevented from expressing yourself.
    ThePhantasm's index of the Giant's comments

24. - Top - End - #24

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    if the end of the year comes ond Belkar is still both alive and well and perhaps hurting the OoTS in some way then roy may kill Belkar because he thinks that due to the prophecy he was always supposed to
    That would be so extraordinarily unlike Roy that I would suspect a shapeshifter or drunk Rich...

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    its actually plausible
    See above.
    Caractacus

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Caractacus View Post
    I would suspect a shapeshifter or drunk Rich...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Geordnet; 2011-11-01 at 03:05 PM.

⌠┌___r-RcosΘ___
    ⌡└rČ+RČ-2rRcosΘ┘dΘ

26. - Top - End - #26
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    You mean 3rd row, 2nd panel, unless you think oiled up muscles will play a part in his death or he drowns in a tub of oil.

27. - Top - End - #27

AssassinGuy

You're reading too much into a series of dialogue meant to poke fun at various stereotypical items.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by orrion View Post
    You're reading too much into a series of dialogue meant to poke fun at various stereotypical items.
    What do you mean? Are you trying to say that OotS is some kind of satire/parody of tropes and cliches? No way! It's all the time super serious!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by zegram 33 View Post
    just remembered the bar brawl, with roy grabbing enor by the tail and smashing him down, so i guess its possible roy could take enor down unarmed if he just repeatedly did that, haha
    Roy was wearing a Belt of Giant Strength when he did that, though.
    Please write all sarcasm in blue text. All metaphors should be marked in red text and for any split infinitives, please use green. Thank you.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Nimrod's Son View Post
    Roy was wearing a Belt of Giant Strength when he did that, though.
    That, and he recently played Super Mario 64.