New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Troll in the Playground

Default Systems (which are NOT D&D) that work well for PBP

I'm wondering what systems you find work well for PBP and why. Hint: if you say D&D, you aren't being helpful.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Systems (which are NOT D&D) that work well for PBP

I tend to use homebrews. That said, stick to lightweight systems that don't take long to resolve actions, and don't require a lot of back and forth for standard rolls. Fudge works well for this, as long as you avoid alternating round combat, as it is combat which tends to drag PbP to a halt, and any order of posting is acceptable.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that.
    -- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

So you figure a system where conflicts are resolved with the fewest rolls possible might work best, hm? That makes sense, in terms of not bogging things down.

I wonder if Dogs in the Vineyard might work well, with its method of pre-rolling all the dice and then using a bidding mechanic to resolve conflict. It strikes me that it might make it easier to pre-plan your actions (part of what bogs down D&D PbP combat, IMO).

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by UserClone View Post
    So you figure a system where conflicts are resolved with the fewest rolls possible might work best, hm? That makes sense, in terms of not bogging things down.

I wonder if Dogs in the Vineyard might work well, with its method of pre-rolling all the dice and then using a bidding mechanic to resolve conflict. It strikes me that it might make it easier to pre-plan your actions (part of what bogs down D&D PbP combat, IMO).
    DiTV requires a lot of very specific back in forth in the bidding mechanic, and has complex mechanical conflicts that persist over an extended period. It does not do play by post well, though it is better than Burning Wheel and it's ilk. Minimal rolls and minimal turn order are both recommended.
    I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums.

-- ChubbyRain

Current Design Project: Legacy, a game of masters and apprentices for two players and a GM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

So maybe Apocalypse World/Dungeon World? Their descriptive/prescriptive formula might do well...

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

So maybe Apocalypse World/Dungeon World? Their descriptive/prescriptive formula might do well...
    Those could work. I'd probably gravitate towards Risus or Wushu at the lighter end (or Titled, which is one of my few homebrews I'm willing to share with the world), with Fudge or Fate in the middle, but AW and DW could work.

-- ChubbyRain

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

I think Inspectres and Lacuna would work well.

I have run 1 Inspectres mission on these forums and it was cool.
    Mannerism RPG An RPG in which your descriptions resolve your actions and sculpts your growth.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I'll tell you again, Glug: If you pitch it, I will play. I will soon own the dead tree version of both of those games, and I already own the pdf of inspectres.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

De Profundis was specifically created for PbM games - it's a freeform game of sending letters to your friends, which will eventually tell the tale of your character's contact with the Cthulhu Mythos and subsequent ruin. It's intended for snail-mail, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't work with email.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Hm...where would I go about getting a copy of De Profundis?

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #11
    Halfling in the Playground

This is not a system as such, but I had great success a couple (5+) years back (before hearing about D&D etc.) with something that basically lets the "player" decide everything.
    There's no need (as such) for a DM. Each player describes what she does, what happens etc. etc., however if the action directly involves another player's character, the other player decides.
    Such as;
    Player a's post: (charname) fires an arrow at (player b's char)
    Player b's post: (charname) tries to dodge the arrow, but ends up with an arrow in his left hind leg, he winces, trying hard to look unaffected by the pain.

Something like that.
    Of course, one could incorporate a DM in this, and have the DM decide what happens.
    Such as, after player a's post, the DM writes (either in the thread, or by PM to player b) whether or not the arrow hits.
    Last edited by suhkkaet; 2011-11-28 at 08:51 AM. Reason: spelling

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

Thats called freeform. It also generally ends up accumulating a lot of rules in practice, as otherwise whoever mary sue's the most wins.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Hm...where would I go about getting a copy of De Profundis?
    Unfortunately, I think it's out of print. eBay, maybe?
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Thats called freeform. It also generally ends up accumulating a lot of rules in practice, as otherwise whoever mary sue's the most wins.
    Link inserted retroactively.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show