New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Stumped about water elementals, take 2.

So i'm designing a series of 'elementals' that are based off one of the five magical 'fields' of study in my verse, and I need to design the Water Elementals, who by process of elimination have material/matter related powers.[1]

I do not want to do the typical 'humanoids who can resist great pressures', unless it's very fluffy. That said, I'm coming up blank as to how to do water elementals. Yes I am looking for help with the concept.

This is for a private setting I'm working on, and not for a RPG system. They are meant to be a 'race' of their own. (Although they are heavily modified humans, the technology behind this modifications is 'sufficently advanced' I can have them be completely different from normal humanoids.)

Any ideas?

[1]: in my verse, the five catagories of magicla power are Destruction, Creation, Mental, Material, Movement. Air Elementals are movement. Fire Elementals are destruction. Earth Elementals are creation. A group known as 'Human Paragons' have mentalist powers. Thus, Water Elementals have Matter/Material based powers.
    Last edited by Fallen Angel; 2011-11-26 at 11:01 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Stumped about water elementals, take 2.

First, frame the question. Are you trying to make these elementals as a race or monster? Either way, what version of D&D are you using? If you're using 3.5, here's what the monsters are like. If not D&D, what system. Finally, are you looking for help statting these up, or just doing concept work?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    First, frame the question. Are you trying to make these elementals as a race or monster? Either way, what version of D&D are you using? If you're using 3.5, here's what the monsters are like. If not D&D, what system. Finally, are you looking for help statting these up, or just doing concept work?
    Like I said, it's a private story setting. Completely unrelated to any RPG system.

Second/Third, I'm doing concept work, considering they are wa 'race' all unto themselves.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

As far as concept goes, I understand that water is one of very few substances that is commonly found in all 3 states of matter on the earth's surface (solid, liquid, gas). Maybe their connection to this versatile substance gives them special insights when dealing with matter, so they are really good at changing things from thing to another (And maybe can do so to themselves as well, though good luck balancing that.)
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Ability to morph own tissues to assume solid, liquid, or gaseous states? This would imply the ability to fly by growing gas-filled bladders, resist blows by hardening tissues, hibernate for long periods of time, function at extremely cold temperatures by maintaining fluid transfer when other life forms would freeze solid, and possibly more.
    Subclasses for 5E: magus of blades, shadowcraft assassin, spellthief, void disciple
    Guides for 5E: Practical fiend-binding

D&D Remix for 3.x: balanced base classes and feats, all in the authentic flavor of the originals. Most popular: monk and fighter.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jiriku View Post
    Ability to morph own tissues to assume solid, liquid, or gaseous states? This would imply the ability to fly by growing gas-filled bladders, resist blows by hardening tissues, hibernate for long periods of time, function at extremely cold temperatures by maintaining fluid transfer when other life forms would freeze solid, and possibly more.
    So in other words, Transmutation spells
    "To play a fighter is to play the game.
    To play a wizard is to understand the rules.
    To understand the rules, and play a fighter, is to understand the game."
    -Lycar
    My Homebrew