New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [Tiefling Heritage] Dimensional Shambler-Spawn (The Unhinged)

Dimensional Shambler-Spawn
    (The Unhinged)

Curious and possessing a perhaps unrefined intellect, the unhinged are so enthralled by anomalies such they often pursue these with reckless abandon, claiming lives or almost inevitably casting away their own in their pursuit of witnessing what oddities the Great Beyond has to offer.

Dimensional Shambler-Spawn
    Ancestry Dimensional Shambler
    Typical Alignment CE
    Ability Modifiers +2 Str, +2 Con, -2 Int
    Alternate Skill Modifiers Knowledge (planes), Stealth
    Alternate Spell-Like Ability The unhinged gain blur as a spell-like ability.

-Like their ancestors, unhinged are wanderers by nature, drawn by their curiosity to things they find to be unusual. Though less capable intrinsically to traverse the great sphere, and more reliant on the conditions present on worlds of the material plane, they no less desire the freedom and ability to do so. Much like their ancestors, an unhinged may find themselves in one place for extended periods of time, provided they are enthralled by some planar feature. Their name relates not just to the condition of their minds but their movements, both seeming unnatural and "out of tune" with what expected among mortal races.
    -The unhinged appear tall and thin, save for their near shoulder wide hips, with their bodies apparently possessing far more more connective tissue than needed between joints, lending itself to their unusual movements. Their limbs are often elongated and their hands prone to having extra digits. Regardless of their builds, they are no more or less agile than the average mortal, and in fact are stronger and more resilient than most.
    -The unhinged most frequently appear in regions near planar anomalies or where there are spellcasters of sufficient skill to summon them.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2015-05-30 at 02:17 PM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Tiefling Heritage] Dimensional Shambler-Spawn (The Unhinged)

Looks pretty cool, my only question is why would something with a strength/con bonus and an int penalty have stealth and knowledge as skill bonuses?

Perhaps a race of dimensional wanderers slightly unhinged from reality could have a bonus on climb/jump as they slightly warp space around them unintentionally to suit their needs?

Also, as much as I really like what I've seen (and I will borrow stuff from it) I don't know that much about Pathfinder, including its cosmology, so let me know if I'm wrong on something.

As for the SLA, a standard tiefling gets darkness, a 2nd level spell, most of the alternates are 2nd level spells, blink is a 3rd level spell and may be a bit powerful, perhaps give it blur 1/day or entropic shield 3/day?

This does sound really cool though, I especially like the description and the mental image it gives.
    Come post a magic item to show that not all unique items are immensely powerful tools of the gods!
    Jester of The Rudisplorkers Guild!!

My cool avatar by Kymme
    My homebrew

Quote Originally Posted by Xuldarinar View Post
    ..What have I done..? What have you done? That poor lantern archon..

trophies
    The photo got removed, but I'm a silver trophy winner of Pathfinder Grab Bag XII: of Dungeons and Dragons

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [Tiefling Heritage] Dimensional Shambler-Spawn (The Unhinged)

Allow me to address each point independently.

Quote Originally Posted by inuyasha View Post
    Looks pretty cool, my only question is why would something with a strength/con bonus and an int penalty have stealth and knowledge as skill bonuses?
    Dimensional shamblers have a Int of 7, yet a +8 racial modifier to knowledge (planes). Thats... all I got on that.

Edit: Demodand-Spawn Tieflings have a -2 Int, but knowledge (religion)

Perhaps a race of dimensional wanderers slightly unhinged from reality could have a bonus on climb/jump as they slightly warp space around them unintentionally to suit their needs?
    That isn't a bad idea.. I like it, but I don't think i'll use it. Maybe replacing stealth with acrobatics though? Maybe?

Also, as much as I really like what I've seen (and I will borrow stuff from it) I don't know that much about Pathfinder, including its cosmology, so let me know if I'm wrong on something.

Fair enough. I rather like pathfinder, though some things that didn't get brought over are some of my favorite things (the far realm, vestiges, shadow magic as it is in ToM), but that is what home-brew and 3rd party is for.

As for the SLA, a standard tiefling gets darkness, a 2nd level spell, most of the alternates are 2nd level spells, blink is a 3rd level spell and may be a bit powerful, perhaps give it blur 1/day or entropic shield 3/day?
    It maybe. Even the other heritages are fairly consistently 1st or 2nd level (Sp). Blur, is likely one of the better options, though not an ability held by dimensional shamblers. Less I get a better suggestion, blur it is.

This does sound really cool though, I especially like the description and the mental image it gives.
    Thank you. I was certainly inspired by atleast the image drawn for the dimensional shambler. Those things are.. something else. I initially made it as a potential alloprax ancestry, and there it does actually remain, but... since they are evil outsiders.. it makes a lot of sense to be something a tiefling would find in their ancestry.
    Last edited by Xuldarinar; 2015-05-30 at 02:18 PM.
    Extended Signature

Guide to becoming a demon in Pathfinder

Special thanks to Gurgleflep for creating my Avatar