New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Paladin Pet Peeves

I while back, I found a thread about how people thought a fantasy dwarf would react to modern society, technology, etc. This gave me the idea for this thread, in which we will post things that people do that would grate on a Paladin's brain, but would be unreasonable to freak out and start smiting for. I suppose that the Paladin in question would be more of the Mikonian heritage, but not as likely to flip out.

I will set the pace:

Picking out specific pieces in a trail mix.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Griffon

Default Re: Paladin Pet Peeves

People posting threads making fun of paladins.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

All in good fun, friend.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Daemon

Rule 34. Especially nuns.
    Prestige Bard, updated for Pathfinder.

Revamped Spell Resistance system, for use with Spell Points/Psionics.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Smoking.

Filthy habit, that.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

Atheists. Or maybe that does cause smiting?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    actually paladins dont need deities for their powers
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

BlackDragon

Yes yes they do. They are the divine power source in 4e and in 3x divine spells come from worship(Or reverence/worship of nature, in which case your a druid or ranger).
    Check Out
    Check out my youtube channel just click here and enjoy?

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Miscast_Mage View Post
    You're a frickin' ninja below me, too!? You got mad skills, Vknight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arbane View Post
    Rogue vs. Dog. (The new Cat vs. Commoner, only not amusing!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
    You are making the assumption of rational planning. After 37 years of dungeon crawling, I still have zero evidence that the average dungeon was designed by the sane.
    "Sleep is optional, just ask Vknight" Someone I Forget but thanks... I don't

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    Yes yes they do. They are the divine power source in 4e and in 3x divine spells come from worship(Or reverence/worship of nature, in which case your a druid or ranger).
    You could be a paladin of the idea of justice, the same you could be a cleric of justice
    Quote Originally Posted by kyoryu View Post
    I swear, about 50% of what makes BW awesome is the little stuff like that that's applicable to just about any system.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Banned

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Turgon9357 View Post
    All in good fun, friend.
    Funny how it's always paladins who get ridiculed. No postings for jokes specifically about rogues, wizards, druids, monks, warblades, beguilers, psions, etc.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

People who use pictures of their kids as their avatars in social media, then get pissed off at you for not accepting their friend request. If you want to go on a subscription drive from people you haven't seen in 20 years, have a picture of you from 20 years ago so you can be recognized, not some pink Yoda looking thing in a John Deere hat.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by navar100 View Post
    People posting threads making fun of paladins.
    Funny how it's always paladins who get ridiculed. No postings for jokes specifically about rogues, wizards, druids, monks, warblades, beguilers, psions, etc.
    What this guy said.

Quote Originally Posted by Siegel View Post
    You could be a paladin of the idea of justice, the same you could be a cleric of justice
    This is correct. Neither class requires choosing a deity. You could quite easily be a paladin who doesn't choose any one deity, or any deity, but still fights to uphold Law and Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Curious View Post
    Rule 34. Especially nuns.
    YES. UGH.

Seriously, that's kind of a pet peeve if I ever at all stop to think about it at all. It's a perverted twisting of the whole concept behind nuns (who are distinct from "priestesses" or other similar roles), and basically is a horrible slap in the face to the concept. The people who "rule 34" nuns should be ashamed of themselves.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Those other classes don't have the same uptight stereotypes that paladins sometimes have. It's a lot like asking why the Fighter never gets made fun of for being Tier 1.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

Saving children

You never said they had to be a LG paladin. A paladin of slaughter wouldn't like that.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Colossus in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Sexual promiscuity.

The internet. All of it.

Well, to be fair, there are stupid rogue tricks and stupid monk tricks that have been discussed in the past.

But, really, making fun of the monk is like making fun of the truenamer. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Also, Monks generally get thought of as generally more humble, possibly because they realize subconsciously how useless their path has made them. Paladins, on the other hand, are popularly thought of as full of themselves, so poking holes in the bag of hot air is kinda cathartic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    +3 Girlfriend is totally unoptimized. You are better off with a +1 Keen Witty girlfriend and then appling Greater Magic Make-up to increase her enhancement bonus.
    Homebrew
    To Do: Reboot and finish Riptide

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by NikitaDarkstar View Post
    Would a Paladin ever meet an atheist? Somewhat hard to say you don't belive in a being people have proof of. Rather like people saying they don't belive in the existance of Jay Leno or Helen Mirren (not counting the players who try).

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Teir systems.
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

18. - Top - End - #18
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post

Seriously, that's kind of a pet peeve if I ever at all stop to think about it at all. It's a perverted twisting of the whole concept behind nuns (who are distinct from "priestesses" or other similar roles), and basically is a horrible slap in the face to the concept. The people who "rule 34" nuns should be ashamed of themselves.
    really? i'm quite grateful for it, myself. if you can't take people poking a bit of fun at you (talking about nuns and religious types here, not you specifically) then you may as well sequester yourself in some desert hideaway where you will never have to interact with any other people for the rest of your life.

On topic: deliberate falsehoods that lead to positive outcomes.
    Last edited by Vattic; 2011-12-31 at 04:36 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vattic View Post
    really? i'm quite grateful for it, myself. if you can't take people poking a bit of fun at you (talking about nuns and religious types here, not you specifically) then you may as well sequester yourself in some desert hideaway where you will never have to interact with any other people for the rest of your life.
    This isn't about "poking fun at nuns".

This is about taking a group of people who have set themselves apart, have purposefully committed themselves to chastity for a higher calling, and making them objects of base, perverse lusts and desires. Turning a group who willingly chooses chastity and religious contemplation, and making them a target of fetishs and lusts seems wrong on several levels. Very disrespectful.

I realize it'll still happen. That doesn't mean I have to think it's okay.
    BitPRR Characters: Entries Masaru, Chuck, Thomas, Turiel, and Masamune

20. - Top - End - #20
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    The internet. All of it.
    How would they be against a world wide means of communication and information sharing?

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Draconi Redfir View Post
    Teir systems.
    I don't know what they'll think of teir systems, but yeah, they'd be rather upset at being T5 on the tier system. Really, I'm upset about that. Why did you have to make paragons of truth and justice so weak, WotC?

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Epic View Post
    How would they be against a world wide means of communication and information sharing?
    "You mean you can find anything you want on this 'inter-net?' And NOBODY regulates it?! What if someone puts dangerous or immoral information on there? BLACK MAGIC! KNAAAAAAAAAVES!"

edit: "Downloading music is an abomination. I mean, you wouldn't download a morningstar, would you?"
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2011-12-31 at 06:13 PM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Vitruviansquid View Post
    "You mean you can find anything you want on this 'inter-net?' And NOBODY regulates it?! What if someone puts dangerous or immoral information on there? BLACK MAGIC! KNAAAAAAAAAVES!"

edit: "Downloading music is an abomination. I mean, you wouldn't download a morningstar, would you?"
    You wouldn't steal a horse,
    you wouldn't steal a knapsack,
    you wouldn't steal an Orb of Scrying,
    you wouldn't steal a tome.

Scribing pirated spells is stealing,
    stealing is against the law,
    PIRACY IT'S A CRIME

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Wizard: "Actually, you're not really stealing the spells you pirate. If you pirate Melf's Acid Arrow, it's not like Melf can't then cast his own Acid Arrow. Melf's Acid Arrow is still there, only it's duplicated. So actually, it's like a net gain for everybody."

Rogue: "Man, if I could download a knapsack, I totally would."
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vknight View Post
    Well, there is a subset of Paladins that doesn't worship a god but instead worships Ayn Rand...
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

You know, now I'm picturing a Paladin's expression after seeing... certain illicit materials.

Oh that would be funny. You'd need a new computer after he smote the first one, though.

And I'm also imagining a Paladin running around trying to find this "Internet" monstrosity so It may be smote in the name of LAW, HONOR and JUSTIIIIIICCE!
    Last edited by Zale; 2011-12-31 at 07:22 PM.
    On a quest to marry Asmodeus, lord of the Nine Hells, or die trying.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KnightDisciple View Post
    This isn't about "poking fun at nuns".

This is about taking a group of people who have set themselves apart, have purposefully committed themselves to chastity for a higher calling, and making them objects of base, perverse lusts and desires. Turning a group who willingly chooses chastity and religious contemplation, and making them a target of fetishs and lusts seems wrong on several levels. Very disrespectful.

I realize it'll still happen. That doesn't mean I have to think it's okay.
    Screw nuns.

I went to Catholic school and was verbally abused when I was freaking six years old by some sexless crone in a black dress.

Sister Rosemary, may she rot in hell, actually told a class of first graders that if we didn't quiet down there "would be dead bodies strewn all over this room."

Those of us who survived refer to St Joe's as "The Atheist Factory"

So, the only reason I object to rule 34ing the whole bunch of them is that there is nothing desirable about a nun.
    Out of wine comes truth, out of truth the vision clears, and with vision soon appears a grand design. From the grand design we can understand the world. And when you understand the world, you need a lot more wine.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by legomaster00156 View Post
    I don't know what they'll think of teir systems, but yeah, they'd be rather upset at being T5 on the tier system. Really, I'm upset about that. Why did you have to make paragons of truth and justice so weak, WotC?
    I was more thinking about the fact that it promotes discriminaition and innequality, but sure that works too i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Zale View Post
    And I'm also imagining a Paladin running around trying to find this "Internet" monstrosity so It may be smote in the name of LAW, HONOR and JUSTIIIIIICCE!
    MAIL!
    Avy by Thormag
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_G View Post
    Screw nuns.

I went to Catholic school and was verbally abused when I was freaking six years old by some sexless crone in a black dress.

Sister Rosemary, may she rot in hell, actually told a class of first graders that if we didn't quiet down there "would be dead bodies strewn all over this room."

Those of us who survived refer to St Joe's as "The Atheist Factory"

So, the only reason I object to rule 34ing the whole bunch of them is that there is nothing desirable about a nun.
    Yeah, I understand how such a thing can happen. But isn't insulting a group of people and actively disliking them because of your experiences with them the same type of justification many racist people use? At the end of the day, what makes prejudice against a religion or group within a religion that isn't wrong inherently, (belittling children is certainly not inherent to being a nun,) much different than prejudice against an ethnic group?
    Homebrew PrC: The Performance Artist

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Wizard: "Actually, you're not really stealing the spells you pirate. If you pirate Melf's Acid Arrow, it's not like Melf can't then cast his own Acid Arrow. Melf's Acid Arrow is still there, only it's duplicated. So actually, it's like a net gain for everybody."

Rogue: "Man, if I could download a knapsack, I totally would."
    Sorcerer: "Listen, Brosiris. It's all about intellectual property. Why shouldn't I profit off of the spells I create?"

Artificer: "Exactly. If I don't profit off of my labor, hell, if I can't even break even, then there's no motivation for me to create."

VoP Monk: "I don't believe in material goods. Learn from my mistakes.