New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Default Need help with Dwarven Jokes.

Not dwarf jokes, no jabs at height or beard gags, but jokes that dwarves would come up with and find hilarious. I want to add in a dwarven NPC to an upcoming game who'll have the worst taste in jokes because they only make sense to dwarves and he over explains them.

I've only come up with one so far:

"Why do human wizards grow beards? Because studying magic takes commitment, determination and hard work!" *he busts a gut laughing* "Because, like beards, commitment to a task, determination and hard work are all very dwarven traits!" *continues laughing while everyone else goes *

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Need help with Dwarven Jokes.

I'm a bit short of jokes like what you're asking for, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Alleran; 2012-01-03 at 02:22 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slipperychicken View Post
    I guess this forum is some kind of mystical afterlife for dnd nerds who die during internet discussions? All the greatest internet heroes argue here every day about physics and dnd, rise again when slain, and enjoy a dining hall which serves them unlimited quantities of heavenly food like ramen, soda, alcohol, and birthday cake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    Yes, the underwear of my epic wizards are more than capable of conquering your average world on their own.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Two humans and an elf walk into a bar.

The dwarf walks under it.
    Steam account. Add me to argue about philosophy whatever!
    Advertized Homebrew: Fire Emblem 4's Holy Blood as Bloodlines
    Extended Signature.
    Using a different color of text for sarcasm is so original.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

"Have you noticed how dwarfs under the Old Mountain swing their pickaxes like this..."

*pantomimes pickaxe swinging motion*

"... while us dwarfs under the Seven Hills swing their pickaxes like this"

*exact same pantomime, done with studied precision*

*raucous laughter and applause from dwarfs in the audience.*
    Last edited by Vitruviansquid; 2012-01-03 at 03:08 AM.
    It always amazes me how often people on forums would rather accuse you of misreading their posts with malice than re-explain their ideas with clarity.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Q: How many dwarves does it take to replace a lantern?
    A: One, he's got an axe, and he's level with your groin, so you best not have been thinking of anything clever.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

You could also have them mocking the elves.
    (spoilered for weiner joke.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    "Didja hear about the elf tha' walked intae a pole wiv' a hard-on? 'E broke 'is nose!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Herman View Post
    I just found a dead cat in my quern. I guess someone was trying to make cat bread.
    Props go out to kwarkpudding for the awesome avatar!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"is that a short joke?"

"dwarf rolling down the hill: badum-tish"

"Dwarves are not overweight, they are undertall"

"what is scarier than a dwarf? A dwarf with his axe"
    Warlock Poetry?
    Or ways to use me in game?
    Better grab a drink...

Currently ruining Strahd's day - Avatar by the Outstanding Smuchsmuch

First Ordained Jr. Tormlet by LoyalPaladin

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

An elf walks into a tavern, bets 500gp no one can drink 10 dwarven ales in a row.
    The tavern patrons fall silent, one dwarf even gets up and leaves.
    Half an hour later he comes back and asks the elf: "Does yer offer still stand?"
    "Aye", says the elf and orders the drinks. Sure enough, the dwarf downs them all in rapid succession, not wasting a single drop.
    Afterwards the elf pays him and says: "My congratulations, but you do have to tell me, why did you leave at first?"
    "Well", the dwarf says, "I went to the inn across th' street, had to see if I could do it first."

Other jokes:
    "An elf walks into a bar."
    Last edited by Lucid; 2012-01-03 at 11:59 AM.
    Statistics show that 42% of people are annoyed by fake statistics in signatures.

Quote Originally Posted by [S]Faust[/S]Eric by Terry Pratchet
    “Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind.” ~Rincewind

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tell "blond" jokes, substituting "elf" for "blond".

Tell "Chuck Norris" jokes, substituting "dwarf" for "Chuck Norris".

-----

Why don't elves/humans/halflings/gnomes date dwarves?

Because dwarves are too deep for them.

-----

Why are dwarves always so sensible and reliable?

Because they're so down to earth.

-----

Why can't elves/humans/halflings/gnomes find the Underhalls?

Because an elf/human/halfling/gnome can't tell his horse from a hole in the ground.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Kobold

dwarf shouts to orc army "one dwarf beats 10 orcs!" Angry from this orc warlord sends 10 orcs to kill the dwarf. After battle is over dwarf returns to shout "one dwarf beats 50 orcs!" Even angrier the warlord sends 50 orcs to kill the dwarf but again none return except dwarf who shouts. "one dwarf beats 100 orcs!" And again warlord sends more orcs after dwarf. This time one wounded orc returns telling. "It was an ambush.. there were two of them!"

or something like that

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    Other jokes:
    "An elf walks into a bar."
    I lol'd on this one.
    @Daer: I am so stealing that joke for my own campaign.
    Blog for my latest (and hopefully last) campaign world: Thargothras!

Some less overused ways for your PCs to meet

Best compliments yet received:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Damn, you're good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Nice McNinja reference; you have earned 1 internet!
    Quote Originally Posted by The-Mage-King View Post
    You get an internet. Or three.
    Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    That's some damn fine work, notreallyhere.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

I imagine it's rather dry and somewhat snide humor when sober (ie working) then it get's really slapstick when they're drinking and anything is funny.
    Alot is not a word. It's a lot, two words.
    Always use the proper tool. If the proper tool isn't available, try a hammer.

13. - Top - End - #13

Why Is it a mistake for the baker to trust the goldsmith? Because he's always Pie-right

(thats a Fool's Gold joke, son)
    Part of the "Raise Nale and Let Him Serve Life in Prison" fan-club

"The only reason why people didn't like Durkon before was because he is the only member of the group that doesn't commit evil, like hurting others, or breaking the rules for giggles. I.E.' He's not cool'"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Going to quote the classics because I can.

Gimli: It's true you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance, that they are often mistaken for dwarf men.
    Aragorn: [whispering] It's the beards.
    Gimli: And this in turn has given rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women, and that dwarves just spring out of holes in the ground!

--
    Legolas: They have feelings, my friend. The elves began it, waking up the trees, teaching them to speak.
    Gimli: Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

--
    Velanna: Why do your people revere the stone so much?
    Oghren: It's because we come from the Stone. When we come out of our mothers, we're small, round rocks. Pink-streaked rocks are girls, and gray ones are boys. The rocks must be dipped in lava for a few moments each day to keep warm. Every year, a few unlucky parents drop the rock into the lava and can't get it out. Very sad. But do it right, and in a few weeks, the rock cracks open, revealing a bouncing dwarven baby.
    Velanna: Like...an egg? That can't be right.
    Oghren: Are you questioning dwarven nature and tradition? I'm insulted.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

RangerGuy

why don't dwarves grow as tall as men and elves?
    Our awesome weighs us down.

Me granpappy drowned in a vat of ale
    course he had ta climb out three times ta use tha latrene
    Warning!! This poster makes frequent use of Sarcasm, Jokes, and Exaggeration. He intends no offense.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

Personally, I never trust anyone who isn't at least half as wide as he is tall. After all, stout of build is stout of heart!

Wizards, elves, scholars, sages... If you've ever read a book that's thicker than your own bicep, then you haven't been paying proper attention to your biceps!

Humans and elves and their swords... They try to make up for their skinny arms with "more reach", and for their tiny shoulders with "more edge". But any orc can tell you that a sword is, overall, an inferior weapon. Just axe one!

Humans say that a dwarf's beard is a reflection of his strength. Gnomes say that a dwarf's beard is an outward sign of his courage. Elves say that a dwarf's beard is a manifestation of his pride. But we all know better, don't we? A dwarf's beard is a sign of his modesty. After all, a dwarf with a proper beard can walk around without any pants on, and you'd never know it unless he turned his backside to you!

17. - Top - End - #17

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cerlis View Post
    Why Is it a mistake for the baker to trust the goldsmith? Because he's always Pie-right

(thats a Fool's Gold joke, son)
    This sounds like just what we're looking for.
    Personally, I never trust anyone who isn't at least half as wide as he is tall. After all, stout of build is stout of heart!

Wizards, elves, scholars, sages... If you've ever read a book that's thicker than your own bicep, then you haven't been paying proper attention to your biceps!

Humans and elves and their swords... They try to make up for their skinny arms with "more reach", and for their tiny shoulders with "more edge". But any orc can tell you that a sword is, overall, an inferior weapon. Just axe one!

Humans say that a dwarf's beard is a reflection of his strength. Gnomes say that a dwarf's beard is an outward sign of his courage. Elves say that a dwarf's beard is a manifestation of his pride. But we all know better, don't we? A dwarf's beard is a sign of his modesty. After all, a dwarf with a proper beard can walk around without any pants on, and you'd never know it unless he turned his backside to you!
    And these are amazing.

Why don't pixies visit the great halls? They feel dwarfed by our grandness. (or grandeza, I'm picturing a dwarf with an extreme Spanish accent.)

I like a woman like a good great axe, as dangerous from the back as from the front.

18. - Top - End - #18

To the ladies of the tavern (spoilered for naughty):
    Spoiler
    Show
    Dwarves are like potatoes, we fill you up right.
    Eladrin War-Skald avi by Vrythas Thanks so much! ^_^

My Extended Signature, including Homebrew

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a: Neutral Good Human Druid/Cleric (2nd/1st Level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 11
    Dexterity- 13
    Constitution- 11
    Intelligence- 15
    Wisdom- 14
    Charisma- 13

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

The Unwise Miner
    There once was a rigorously pious and inflexible miner, who despite his strict observances was not wise. Daily he consulted the Priesthood before starting work concerning all signs beneficial or unfortunate.
    One day, while he was overseeing the new works in his mine, the roof joists gave way, collapsed and fell on top of him. He cried out, "Help!" His underlings came over to have a look and said, "Be patient, Master. Let's ask the Priests if it is a good omen to dig here today."

The Mean Gold Smith
    There was a gold smith who was deliberately hard on his apprentice. He gave him a bottle and said, "Buy me a bottle of beer."
    The apprentice asked, "How can I buy you beer with no money at all?"
    The gold smith said, "Anyone can buy beer with money. It takes real skill to buy beer without money."
    After a while the apprentice returned with the empty bottle. He handed the bottle to the gold smith and said, "Enjoy the beer, please."
    Staring at the empty bottle, the gold smith asked, "There is no beer, how can I enjoy this?"
    The apprentice said, "Anyone can enjoy beer if there is some. It takes real skill to enjoy beer when there is none."

The Grand General
    There was a Grand General who loved his children. One day he came home from campaigning and saw his son kneeling on the snow covered ground without a coat on outside the halls.
    Having asked his son the reasons for such behaviour, he discovered that his own mother was punishing her grandson for a wrong-doing. He then took off his own coat, and knelt down on the snow covered ground beside his son.
    His mother hearing about this went to ask him what the matter was.
    "You're making my son suffer and catch cold. So now I'll make your son suffer and catch cold, too!" said the Grand General.

These are ancient Chinese jokes, tweaked to be more dwarvish - I picked them because they're sort of funny, but a bit unusual to our modern, anglophone tastes.
    (I'm thinking that amongst themselves, dwarves wouldn't call each other "dwarves" - any more than I call my boss "human".)
    Last edited by Altair_the_Vexed; 2012-01-04 at 05:46 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20

One that crops up in (literally) every campaign we do is from the Dungeons and Dragons movie (pause for groans).
    Spoiler
    Show

"C'mon lad, ye gotta get ye a DWARVEN woman! One with a BEARD! Somethin you can *hold* *on* *to*" (with vulger hand gestures for empashis)
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    Tell "blond" jokes, substituting "elf" for "blond".
    Aye, so a dwarf, a gnome and an elf all die and go to the Beastlands. Now apparently, Ehlonna had decided it was getting too full, so she made a game where you have to climb up a flight of 50 stairs and on each step hear a joke. If you ever laugh, you get sent to Gehenna instead.

So they all went up the stairs. The dwarf laughed on the 20th step and the gnome laughed on the 30th. The elf, as shocking as it may seem, managed to get all the way up. Before they were sent away, the dwarf asked the elf what kind of arcane magic he be using to cheat on this game. The elf simply replied, "Oh, that was the first joke I got."
    Last edited by Razanir; 2012-01-04 at 06:09 PM.
    Avatar by Venetian Mask. It's of an NPC from a campaign I may yet run (possibly in PbP) who became a favorite of mine while planning.

Quote Originally Posted by Razanir View Post
    Everyone knows frying pans are actually weapons that people repurpose for cooking
    I am a 10/14/11/15/12/14 LG Clr 2

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfPirate

Somewhere online I saw a role-able list of dwarven insults

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

There once was a dwarf that did not drink alcohol.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Halfling in the Playground

DruidGuy

"Humans drink. Elves sip. Dwarves consume."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid View Post
    An elf walks into a tavern, bets 500gp no one can drink 10 dwarven ales in a row.
    The tavern patrons fall silent, one dwarf even gets up and leaves.
    Half an hour later he comes back and asks the elf: "Does yer offer still stand?"
    "Aye", says the elf and orders the drinks. Sure enough, the dwarf downs them all in rapid succession, not wasting a single drop.
    Afterwards the elf pays him and says: "My congratulations, but you do have to tell me, why did you leave at first?"
    "Well", the dwarf says, "I went to the inn across th' street, had to see if I could do it first."
    Hahahaha! That's awesome, I'm so telling that one to my group.
    Last edited by DarkEricDraven; 2012-01-05 at 12:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEricDraven View Post
    "Humans drink. Elves sip. Dwarves consume.

Hahahaha! That's awesome, I'm so telling that one to my group.
    Quaff. Dwarves quaff their alcohol in whatever form they can find it.

I imagine lots of rock puns would be very dwarfish. Gneiss of you to drop in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

26. - Top - End - #26

Quote Originally Posted by theflyingkitty View Post
    Somewhere online I saw a role-able list of dwarven insults
    http://dwarvenconspiracy.com/insult.asp *bows*

27. - Top - End - #27

First, insinuate that dwarven women are anvils (Because Dwarves spend more time in the forge than in bed, or something of the like.), then accuse of wife abuse. Hilarity ensues.
    Arcueid Avatar by Elder Tsofu.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

How about, "Meh second cousin Brunhild said she'd never marry a man unless his beard was longer than her hair, and she had locks that reached the ground. So one night my good friend chopped 'em off and now he's in the family! Hah hah hah!"
    "I am bleeding, making me the victor!" - Wimp Lo, 'Kung Pow'
    "Nonsense! I would never do such a thing unless you were already having been going to do that!" - Professor Hubert Farnsworth A, 'Futurama'

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Altair_the_Vexed View Post
    These are ancient Chinese jokes, tweaked to be more dwarvish - I picked them because they're sort of funny, but a bit unusual to our modern, anglophone tastes.
    (I'm thinking that amongst themselves, dwarves wouldn't call each other "dwarves" - any more than I call my boss "human".)
    Well, we don't say "human," because there's really nothing to compare it to. If anything, I would imagine races in DND to be somewhat closer to race IRL, in terms of conciousness of race.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

The foreman went to one of his miners after an accident, the injured miner said, 'my leg, arm, head really hurt when I touch them.'
    The foreman started feeling the miner's leg, arm and head, 'Does this hurt? or this? or this hurt?'
    'No' the miner said.

Foreman, 'You fool! You've broken your fingers.'

When I was a wee dwarfling, there was a tall dwarf in the tavern o's head was covered in scars and he wasn't a pretty sight. A young dwarfling began sniggering and pointed the dwarf out to his mates.

A big burly miner jumped up and grabbed the young dwarfling. "Never, never, make fun of that dwarf. He's a hero, there was a big fall in the deep mines and he stood with a wooden bar on his head for 6 hours holding the roof up while his fellows were rescued. That's why he bears those terrible scars."

"Am sorry mate, a didn't na", said the young dwarfling, "He is a hero. But, how did he get that cauliflower ear?"

"Aw well, that happened when he was hammered into position."