I'm going to guess
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak leaked it to stay in the city longer

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: OOTS #824 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by One Skunk Todd View Post
    I'm not rooting for this but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's exactly what happens.

Also, is the pink haired elf both casting and using a sword and shield?

Oh and I just noticed. Not only did the Resistance not take a single casualty, it looks like they didn't take a single wound. No XP for them. :)
    Wait, you have to take damage to get XP now?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #93
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

I see a flaw in this plan.

A flaw called "Speak with Dead".
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Barbarian in the Playground

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    It's the third page of discussion, time to ask silly questions about insignificant details.

I can't figure out what kind of sword the dark-skinned elf is using in his main hand. It's not a scimitar because it isn't curved, it's probably not a longsword because Rich draws them differently (look at Nale's sword for example), and it's too thick to be a rapier even though it has a handguard.
    A main gauche maybe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parrying_dagger
    "That's not right, that's not even wrong."

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think Skunk just means the Resistance must dramatically outlevel them to win so easily.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Hmm, but it is usually employed in the off-hand, so that would only work if he's a leftie and the shortsword in the other hand is the main-hand weapon.

Or it could just be an elven-style longsword or something.

7. - Top - End - #97

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I was thinking the Resistance fighters were experienced enough so as not to get any XP fighting the low level hobbos.

"This is not an idea to be tossed aside lightly, it should be thrown with great force."

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

If they can't destroy the phylactery they can always
    Spoiler
    Show
    ...hide it again. That'd keep the hobbos occupied. I strongly suspect that's what they've been doing. It would certainly explain how the resistance knew it was discovered; hide the bauble and camp the hiding place. The resistance could thin out the occupation force a few at a time.
    The Giant says: Yes, I am aware TV Tropes exists as a website. ... No, I have never decided to do something in the comic because it was listed on TV Tropes. I don't use it as a checklist for ideas ... and I have never intentionally referenced it in any way.

9. - Top - End - #99

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Cranica View Post
    I think Skunk just means the Resistance must dramatically outlevel them to win so easily.
    Exactly, thank you. :)

10. - Top - End - #100
    Banned

DrowGuy

Perhaps the Elves have their own agenda regarding Xykon. By hiding his phylactery somewhere that would assure its destruction if left unattended, they could possibly channel him towards beneficial gains for themselves. Such as having him force the Goblins out of Azure City, or even sending him against the ever-growing Empire of Blood directly to the south of their mountains.

Surely the Elven lands are not merely coincidentally located just north of the newly-famed antagonist Tarquin.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Dwarf in the Playground

Doombaby? That's hillarious.

Doombaby: Goo. Gaa. I will teeth upon your bones.

Paladin: *swipe* Yoinketh!

Doombaby: Noooo I will have my vengence. Waaaah.
    "Nobody likes a screaming clown. It puts one off one's feed." - Lore Sjoberg

12. - Top - End - #102
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Apocalypse candy? Bah! There nothing compared to Ragnarock bars!

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Lawful Good Human Wizard (3rd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 18
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 14

13. - Top - End - #103
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Hmm, but it is usually employed in the off-hand, so that would only work if he's a leftie and the shortsword in the other hand is the main-hand weapon.

Or it could just be an elven-style longsword or something.
    Just looking at the weapons available on the SRD, it probably follows the rules for longswords, even though the shape and handguard makes me want to call it a saber instead. My guess is the customized look implies that its a magical elven longsword, rather than a regular, run-of-the-mill longsword.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

14. - Top - End - #104

BlueWizardGirl

Just to say it -

While a Paladin may object to stealing from a baby, any decent nanny, babysitter, or parent knows all the reasons you might want to take something away from a baby that the baby is trying to eat (rots their teeth, potential choking hazard, where was this thing before the baby grabbed it and how many germs did it pick up? how close is it to meal time? and do you really want this baby on a sugar high?).

15. - Top - End - #105
    Ogre in the Playground

With all the goblins in the sewers and ocean looking for the phylactery, there aren't a lot of hobgoblins wandering around the city itself. The resistance is probably aware of when the shift changes occur and how many people are supposed to be guarding the palace or the prison, etc. So the resistance doesn't have to watch all the hobgoblins. It just needs to watch the city for hobgoblin teams who aren't where they are supposed to be.

Though I do like the idea of the Resistance finding the phylactery first and using it as bait to separate hobgoblin squads and kill them. I just don't find that likely. What they should do is simply have the white-haired Peregrine elf teleport it out to Hinjo for safe-keeping.
    Last edited by Wrecan; 2012-01-04 at 01:07 PM.
    Here is a numbering of all character appearances in OOTS

16. - Top - End - #106

Chimera

Wow, really did not see that coming.

It seems Hinjo and Roy had this planned better than we thought. If the resistance manages to hide the phylactery far from Azure City, Xykon will keep looking for it forever, and will never go to Girard's Gate. Or maybe they could even find a way to destroy it...

On the other hand, this can't end so easily, so I espect the resistance to run into some trouble. Maybe they run into Xykon/Redcloack next chapter, or maybe the phylactery is recovered later, so Tarquin can shine for some more time.

It's time for team evil to show why they are the main villains of this comic.
    Last edited by Ninja Dragon; 2012-01-04 at 01:12 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Halfling in the Playground

BardGuy

Oh good. Without this turn of events the search seemed to lack a certain amount of drama. Good to see the bad guys can get thorns in their side just as annoyingly as the good guys.

Cheers and Happy New Year everyone. :)

18. - Top - End - #108

GreenSorcererElf

Dang, now I want some Apocalypse Candy...
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

19. - Top - End - #109
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    I'm going to guess
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redcloak leaked it to stay in the city longer
    Spoiler
    Show
    I'd actually be pretty surprised if Redcloak doesn't WANT out of the city. The longer they stay, the more likely Xylon is to just burn it down. With a proper leader and everything, he must be ready to leave.
    Last edited by Nephrahim; 2012-01-04 at 01:09 PM.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Ogre in the Playground

MindFlayer

poor xykon, more delays.
    I would be a procrastinator, but I keep putting it off.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a few possibilities here.

1. She's a dual class fighter/wizard (common among elves) and seeing as the spell gave no visible reaction the spell either a. failed (due to armor penalties) or b could be a buff spell.

2. She's a dual class fighter/cleric and that was some kind of divine buff spell.

3. There is a slim chance it is she's a druid as I recall Druids of Mielliki could wear metal armor (so long as a ranger can wear it) so it could again be a divine buff spell (it would also work with a fighter druid combo as mentioned above).

4. She could be a psychic warrior, and that "spell" was one of her psionic powers being called into action.

Any one of these theories could be true, though I'm leaning towards 2 and 4.
    Last edited by Dracarot; 2012-01-04 at 01:16 PM.

Spoiler
    Show
    I am a...

Lawful Good Human Wizard (3rd level)

Ability Scores:
    Strength- 14
    Dexterity- 16
    Constitution- 18
    Intelligence- 19
    Wisdom- 19
    Charisma- 14

22. - Top - End - #112
    Halfling in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post

I see a flaw in your flaw. All anybody will know is that the resistance wiped out a search party.

They might do this from time to time even without the phylactery being found, just to thin the herds, or they might not.

If they do, then there's nothing special-seeming about the event and nobody would bother to Speak With Dead.

If they don't, then it may raise some suspicion. But the search party was pretty big, and it's very possible (probable?) that the conversation they were having about rewards started immediately upon finding it, before the rest of group was told they could stop searching because it had been found. So you've got a large group of hobs, most of which know nothing about why they were attacked, and there's no clue pointing to which of them might have that information. So you Speak With Dead and get, "I dunno! They just came out of nowhere and killed us all for no apparent reason!" And you cast it again and get, "I was swimming under the water and all of a sudden there was sword in my back!" and you cast it again and get, "Huh?"

Or it could go the other way. Maybe the whole group had already been told it was found and by who. Then a single Speak With Dead solves the mystery.

But the point is that Rich can take it either way, both with completely sound logic behind his decision.

Speak With Dead is only a problem for Team-Not-Xykon if Rich wants it to be. If it isn't a problem, then people will be complaining about it. But on the other hand, if somebody comes in and Speaks With Dead in the next comic then there will be lots of people in this forum throwing around the terms "Diabolus Ex Machina" and "Deus ex Machina" even though they don't know what those words mean.

Either way, people will be pointlessly irritated by what they perceive as a flaw in the comic but which is really just a flaw in their brain.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Pixie in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

If the resistance do get away with this theft, I doubt they'll be keeping the phylactry for long - The Elves are unlikely to see the caves beneath Azure city as somewhere it can be kept safe from Xykon, and for the Azurites it's a dangerous object that might draw Xykon down upon their base (which he might even know the location of all along, in his 'don't confuse not caring for not knowing' style). I can see the Phylacatry making a journey toward Elven lands if Xykon doesn't re-take it very quickly indeed, which might lead to Xykon following it rather then making an immediate grab for Girard's gate himself.

Mind you, that's still an 'if' at this stage. For all we know, Xykon might just teleport in to grab it at the next update.

24. - Top - End - #114

PirateWench

Quote Originally Posted by Dracarot View Post

1. She's a dual class wizard fighter/wizard (common among elves) and seeing as the spell gave no visible reaction the spell either a. failed (due to armor penalties) or b could be a buff spell.

2. She's a dual class fighter/cleric and that was some kind of divine buff spell.

3. There is a slim chance it is she's a druid as I recall Druids of Mielliki could wear metal armor (so long as a ranger can wear it) so it could again be a divine buff spell (it would also work with a fighter druid combo as mentioned above).

4. She could be a psychic warrior, and that "spell" was one of her psionic powers being called into action.

Thanks, I'm just barely familiar enough with the rules to realize it was slightly out of the mainstream, but not familiar enough to know what all the possibilities were.
    Last edited by One Skunk Todd; 2012-01-04 at 01:35 PM.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Just to say it -

While a Paladin may object to stealing from a baby, any decent nanny, babysitter, or parent knows all the reasons you might want to take something away from a baby that the baby is trying to eat (rots their teeth, potential choking hazard, where was this thing before the baby grabbed it and how many germs did it pick up? how close is it to meal time? and do you really want this baby on a sugar high?).
    At which point, Thanh's objection to the analogy becomes, "We did not grab the phylactery for the benefit of the hobgoblins we took it from!"

26. - Top - End - #116

The Resistence should drop the ring of power phylactery into the volcano Rift, unless they suspect that ....
    Spoiler
    Show
    ... Xykon's waiting at the Rift, probably invisible, to catch whoever does just that!

27. - Top - End - #117
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Cranica View Post
    I was thinking the Resistance fighters were experienced enough so as not to get any XP fighting the low level hobbos.
    Aha. Though it could be argued that the hobbos had just finished with their generic sewer-dungeon, since they still have visible damage on pretty much everyone but the cleric. I take the point, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post

Hasn't the resistance been waging guerilla warfare like this for months? Unless casting Speak with Dead is standard operating procedure, there's not much reason to believe they would cast it in this instance either. And if it IS SOP, there are likely very specific questions they ask every time, so the likelihood they would ask anything phylactery-related is pretty low, I'd imagine. Not nonexistant, just low.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

28. - Top - End - #118

GreenSorcererElf

I'm not rooting for this but I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's exactly what happens.

Oh and I just noticed. Not only did the Resistance not take a single casualty, it looks like they didn't take a single wound. No XP for them. :)
    The CR of the hobgoblins is too low. They're probably only getting roleplaying XP and story bonus XP.
    'F' is the fire that rains from the Sky
    'U' for Uranium, BOMB!
    'N' is for No Survivors...

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

"Holy stick in the mud"

O CHUL RULES THE WORLD!
    James/TheDoge Avatar by Ceika!

Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by TravelLog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBurke View Post
    *snip* ...Hands down the funniest class critique ever... *snip*
    I cannot tell you the number of times I laughed while reading this.

Homebrew Awards:
    Spoiler
    Show

First Place Pathfinder Grab Bags:
    XIII
    XIV
    XV
    XVIII

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dracarot View Post

1. She's a dual class fighter/wizard (common among elves) and seeing as the spell gave no visible reaction the spell either a. failed (due to armor penalties) or b could be a buff spell.

5. She's a single-classed cleric; as an elf she is automatically proficient in long swords, rapiers, and long and short bows (which pushes elves toward classes that don't get proficiency in martial weapons as a class feature, such as wizard, sorcerer, and cleric).

Also, while casting Speak With Dead on random wiped-out patrols is unlikely, casting Tsukiko's Amazing Wight-Making Spell on them is much more likely to be standard operating procedure, resulting in a bunch of wights who remember the phylactery being stolen from them when they were hobgoblins.
    Last edited by Kish; 2012-01-04 at 01:23 PM.