New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dont Rest your Head help

Alright, so I just received my copy of DRYH. I'm really liking it so far, and am looking foreward to GMing it, but there is one thing that is really confusing me. The Despair Coins. Honestly, I don't understand how to use them. I've read over the section several times, but am still just not getting it. Can anyone whose has had experience with the game help me out? It would be rather awesome of you.
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Marcus Fenix avatar by Me!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: Dont Rest your Head help

The GM gains a coin of despair whenever pain dominates. You can spend them during conflicts after the dice have been rolled to add a 6 to any pool, which will likely make that pool dominate. So, if Discipline dominates (making things more stable), but you'd rather things get crazier, you spend a coin of despair or two to make, say, Madness dominate instead. Spent coins of despair turn into coins of hope for the players.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, you get them when pain dominates, but you dont have to spend them? Or do you add them to the black bowl when pain dominates, then add them to the white when you decide to spend it, which would give it to the players?
    "People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."

Marcus Fenix avatar by Me!

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by Mindartis View Post
    So, you get them when pain dominates, but you dont have to spend them? Or do you add them to the black bowl when pain dominates, then add them to the white when you decide to spend it, which would give it to the players?
    The second one. You get the Despair Coin, and it goes into your pool. Whenever you decide to use it, which can be any point after, it goes into the Hope bowl for the players to use.

Edit: And just to reinforce the point: if you make pain dominate with Despair Coins, you don't get another coin for it.
    Last edited by The Dark Fiddler; 2012-01-15 at 09:54 AM.
    It's been a bit, GitP. If you're reading this, you're either digging through old stuff, or I've posted for the first time in forever.

If you want to stay in touch, reach out to me on twitter (same username).

The best answer is always to ask your DM.
    Unless you're the DM, in which case you should talk to your players.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

I have learned a lot of practical things, thank you!
    To the world you may be one person,but to one person you may be the world.