New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Skyrim IV: Oblivion

Quote Originally Posted by LordShotGun View Post
    Look on your floor. The ebony blade has some sort of bug that makes it jump off weapon racks.
    Damn. Okay, I guess I have to put it in my wardrobe then.

I am thinking of moving Dawnbreaker up to the one above our bed anyway; it provides great mood lighting for um... stuff.

(I have to talk to Mjoll first of course; see if she is okay with moving Grimsever to one of the weapon placs downstairs )
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #182
    Bugbear in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    Damn. Okay, I guess I have to put it in my wardrobe then.

I am thinking of moving Dawnbreaker up to the one above our bed anyway; it provides great mood lighting for um... stuff.

(I have to talk to Mjoll first of course; see if she is okay with moving Grimsever to one of the weapon placs downstairs )
    I find Dawnbreaker and the Nightingale Blade look pretty nice together, if Mjoll objects

Plus together the blades kind of rock the Dusk and Dawn motif. Odd that the gifts of Meridia and the gifts of Nocturnal when carried together seem to represent best Azura

3. - Top - End - #183
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gullintanni View Post
    I find Dawnbreaker and the Nightingale Blade look pretty nice together, if Mjoll objects

Plus together the blades kind of rock the Dusk and Dawn motif. Odd that the gifts of Meridia and the gifts of Nocturnal when carried together seem to represent best Azura
    Speaking of that... how good is Mjoll with Sword and Board? I keep carrying the Nightingale Blade but I use the Blade of Woe 90% of the time I use melee (basically only sneak attacks).
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

4. - Top - End - #184

PaladinGuy

Speaking of that... how good is Mjoll with Sword and Board? I keep carrying the Nightingale Blade but I use the Blade of Woe 90% of the time I use melee (basically only sneak attacks).
    Not sure. If you're on the PC though, you can check your follower's skills by clicking on your target (Mjoll) and typing GetAV "skill" where skill will be either Onehanded, Twohanded and Block.

I'd assume Mjoll would be decent though, given that Grimsever is (iirc) a One Handed glass sword.

5. - Top - End - #185

Quote Originally Posted by Lappy9001 View Post
    That awkward moment when, between the Forsworn attacking you, the Forsworn attacking the town, and your inability to side with a cabal of cannibals...you just may have murdered about half of Markarth's population

The place does seem a little nicer, though....
    More like that awkward moment when you decide to kill the Forsworn big-hat because you didn't intend to let some forsworn rampage through Markarth when you were trying to escape from prison. Then everyone whispers about how you are a forsworn, despite dragging said big-hat around with you, yelling about how you killed him.

That or I didn't know any other way out of jail.
    Last edited by ZeltArruin; 2012-01-20 at 08:59 AM.
    ~ZA

6. - Top - End - #186
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    More like that awkward moment when you decide to kill the Forsworn big-hat because you didn't intend to let some forsworn rampage through Markarth when you were trying to escape from prison. Then everyone whispers about how you are a forsworn, despite dragging said big-hat around with you, yelling about how you killed him.

That or I didn't know any other way out of jail.
    I really didn't like that quest. It was very interesting to play detective and a neat turn of events when you find yourself there. The first two-thirds were good to great, but that last bit annoyed me. Why? You can't use any of your skills to break out and everyone thinks you've joined the Forsworn at the end. I've now slaughtered dozens of Forsworn up and down the west coast but I still get nervously asked if I've joined them when I'm heading home to Markarth. :(

I feel like they should have added at least three, maybe several, methods to get out of prison besides the rest of the quest line. If I just want to get out, I should be able to use my magic, sneaking, fighting, whatever.

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post
    I really didn't like that quest. It was very interesting to play detective and a neat turn of events when you find yourself there. The first two-thirds were good to great, but that last bit annoyed me. Why? You can't use any of your skills to break out and everyone thinks you've joined the Forsworn at the end. I've now slaughtered dozens of Forsworn up and down the west coast but I still get nervously asked if I've joined them when I'm heading home to Markarth. :(

I feel like they should have added at least three, maybe several, methods to get out of prison besides the rest of the quest line. If I just want to get out, I should be able to use my magic, sneaking, fighting, whatever.
    Technically, you can butcher Madanach as he's in his cell, and take the note revealing the escape route, as well as the key to it from his corpse.
    NaNoWriMo Beat Me
    Red and the Phasmavore by LCP

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

The thing with Skyrim though is that the important thing is how you play, since your skills are leveled up the way they are. I don't really see the need of restarting except for the Race / Gender issue unless you halfway through starts changing playing style completely and have placed 20 perks already.
    That's exactly the problem. I'll start playing one-handed and then suddenly decide I want to go two-handed, or I'll start with heavy armor and decide Glass looks cooler.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    That's exactly the problem. I'll start playing one-handed and then suddenly decide I want to go two-handed, or I'll start with heavy armor and decide Glass looks cooler.
    So then just switch. It's not like the game is hard enough that you need to specialize in one thing from the first moment of the game to stay relevant. If you start favoring glass armor, why not just wear it?
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

10. - Top - End - #190
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    So then just switch. It's not like the game is hard enough that you need to specialize in one thing from the first moment of the game to stay relevant. If you start favoring glass armor, why not just wear it?
    This, definitely.

I went into the game having no idea what I was going to play. I dabbled in shields, alteration and two-handed until I settled on dual-wield+archery+sneak build. I have around 5-8 'wasted' perks that I haven't bothered moving around. I still one-shot Giants and basically ignore all damage. I rarely bother sneaking at this point. Slows me down.

Point is, it's not like the game requires much in the way of min-maxing and as long as you're packing Smithing and Enchanting you can do whatever, change your mind halfway through and then do something else just fine.
    Truth resists simplicity.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Valaqil View Post

There are several methods you can:
    Talk to the guy and help him escape
    You can kill him and take the key and the note and escape
    You can pickpocket the key and the note and escape

Just because they don't explicitly tell you that you can do these things they can all still be done.
    Last edited by pffh; 2012-01-20 at 10:46 AM.
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

12. - Top - End - #192

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post

Just because they don't explicitly tell you that you can do these things they can all still be done.
    In fact, you get a different quest reward for killing him. Which is what I did. Forsworn've killed me too many times for me to let him live.

Death to the Forsworn!

13. - Top - End - #193

The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it. There really doesn't ever seem to be a 'kill' him option until after you've done it. At least for me.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it. There really doesn't ever seem to be a 'kill' him option until after you've done it. At least for me.
    I was actually quite surprised that I could talk to him and escape with him. I had expected him to fight me a soon as he saw me (it's why I sneaked up to him and saw that I could also pickpocket the key to the door that's marked something like "Escape tunnel: Requires a key")
    "Elephant trunks should be used for elephant things only. Nothing else."

Thank you Geomancer for the Death avatar.

My lets plays:
    Alien vs Predator: marine chapter - Completed
    Singularity - Canceled

15. - Top - End - #195

Quote Originally Posted by pffh View Post

When? The second time I went to do this quest, I tried that immediately, but he didn't have a key or note.
    ~ZA

16. - Top - End - #196
    Ettin in the Playground

Do you guys know that
    Spoiler
    Show
    Redguards are equivalent of Sapphire Guard since they stage a Orc Genocide when they land in Hammerfell.
    Redguard: Taste my shield and blade, Greenskin.
    Is it true that Orsinium (Elderscrolls Orc version of Gobbotopia) was razed?
    Unfortunately, I played as an orc then a redguard in skyrim.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Not exactly. The Redguards live in Hammerfell while Orsinium is in High Rock. However the Redguards did displace some orcs when they landed in Sentinel and continued to be kinda hostile with them. It's wasn't until after the Warp of the West did they really become an accepted part of the empire. Still the rebuild Orsinium wasn't trusted and IIRC, it was sacked in the 4th age and thats why we have the Orc strongholds in Skyrim.
    If God had wanted you to live he would not have created me!

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Weezer View Post
    Because I put perks in Heavy Armor.
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ObadiahtheSlim View Post
    Not exactly. The Redguards live in Hammerfell while Orsinium is in High Rock. However the Redguards did displace some orcs when they landed in Sentinel and continued to be kinda hostile with them. It's wasn't until after the Warp of the West did they really become an accepted part of the empire. Still the rebuild Orsinium wasn't trusted and IIRC, it was sacked in the 4th age and thats why we have the Orc strongholds in Skyrim.
    But Hadvar said that (as an orc) my remains will be sent to Orsinium as an apology. And the orcs said that they live in skyrim since the first era.
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

20. - Top - End - #200
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    Because I put perks in Heavy Armor.
    Big deal.

Unless you're level 25 or something you've still got plenty of perks waiting to be spent. Just stop spend your next few points in Light Armor. The game is not hard enough that you really need to optimise. Just grind Smithing a bit if you feel you're falling behind the power curve.
    Truth resists simplicity.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    But Hadvar said that (as an orc) my remains will be sent to Orsinium as an apology. And the orcs said that they live in skyrim since the first era.
    Well there are Orcs still living in Orsinium and Orcs have also been living in Skyrim since the original Orsinium fell in the 1st era. I could be mistaken in my recolection of the Orsinium being sacked in the 4th E.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    The only problem I have with 'you can kill him' is I know when I did the quest, the thought never occurred to me because a key or a route was never mentioned(IIRC) and if anybody is a quest giver or important killing them is the last thing that crosses my mind. Mostly because I've tried several times to kill 'important' NPCs that ticked me off and it never. works. so when I run into one now, i just don't think of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeltArruin View Post
    When? The second time I went to do this quest, I tried that immediately, but he didn't have a key or note.
    What they said. Quest givers are often essential, or semi-essential. I did try to pickpocket him before I ever spoke to him the first time. He had nothing on him worth taking. If you can pickpocket / kill your way out, that's news to me. Killing didn't cross my mind and theft didn't appear to be an option.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Troll in the Playground

My plan was to escape with the Forsworn guy and then kill him after getting my reward from him, in order to get both rewards. However, after they all got their weapons and armor, I couldn't take all of them anymore, so I reset and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by YPU View Post
    Real life doesn’t happen, it surprises you like a trap of a CR way above your level.

24. - Top - End - #204
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    My plan was to escape with the Forsworn guy and then kill him after getting my reward from him, in order to get both rewards. However, after they all got their weapons and armor, I couldn't take all of them anymore, so I reset and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.
    I had the opposite problem on my mage toon. I couldn't kill them without my gear. I was just too squishy and ran out of magicka too soon. Once I had my stuff killing them wasn't too hard.

25. - Top - End - #205

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin1040 View Post
    ...and just wolf'd out in the prison and ripped him apart.
    The mental picture is fantastic. Note to self: Become a werewolf before I run that quest again.
    Last edited by Gullintanni; 2012-01-20 at 02:02 PM.

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Alright, I have a new plan for a build: A non-bow Assassin. Just for fun.
    Khajiit
    Thief Stone (At least to start)
    Stealth
    One Handed
    Light Armor
    Illusion
    Alteration
    Alchemy
    Lockpicking/Pickpocket (Not to many perks here)
    And of course Enchanting/Smithing eventually.
    Viability? Plan is to use Illusion to get close, maybe soften up the baddies a bit, massive dagger damage and if things go bad and I get detected, quick armor boost from Alteration then go crazy with dual swords.
    Props to Ceika for the new and improved avatar!

Spoiler: Quotes
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    Yeah, but Arcran is the GM. Can we be sure of anything?
    Quote Originally Posted by IrnBruAddict
    I always picture Arc as LE, with CE tendancies
    Quote Originally Posted by Espirit15
    Arc is a good GM. Evil, but a good GM

27. - Top - End - #207
    Titan in the Playground

It adds a whole new level of irony to the quest too!
    Spoiler
    Show
    Madanach: So, the Nords have caged you and turned you into an animal...

Dovahkiin: You don't even know the half of it!

*transforms into a werewolf and knocks Madanach's off with one swipe of a paw!*

28. - Top - End - #208
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I created a new character last night: a morally ambigous thief. And by morally ambigous, I mean so far I've whacked seven non-hostile NPCs for various reasons:
    Torturer: Wanted his dagger.
    Torturer's Assistant: Was actually an accident.
    Sven: Cast Fury to see what would happen
    Faendal: Cast Fury; wanted to get all the pelts and what not in his house.
    Two NPCs whose names I forgot: Cast fury on both, whacked the victor to freely take a bunch of stuff from a house with no chance of detection.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2012-01-20 at 03:24 PM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay since 2 of my riddle-thingumabobs haven't been answered, I'll reveal them now:

The ice wolf and I were fighting a dragon. Apparently ice wolves don't like dragons, seeing as it actually happened twice.

The person who mentioned the Minecraft Sky-Limit was Septimus Sigmus "when the top level was built, no more could be placed..."
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

30. - Top - End - #210

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    So, I created a new character last night: a morally ambigous thief. And by morally ambigous, I mean so far I've whacked seven non-hostile NPCs for various reasons:
    Torturer: Wanted his dagger.
    Torturer's Assistant: Was actually an accident.
    Sven: Cast Fury to see what would happen
    Faendal: Cast Fury; wanted to get all the pelts and what not in his house.
    Two NPCs whose names I forgot: Cast fury on both, whacked the victor to freely take a bunch of stuff from a house with no chance of detection.
    Ah, now that it something I need to try again. I have yet to really use illusion and as such never touched fury in skyrim (I did love using it in oblivion though).