New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Flumph

Default Player joining over internet

I've got a player who recently moved but still would like to play in the new campaign. I'm currently thinking using Skype and OpenRPG, maybe putting both up on a TV as a secondary monitor to replace a physical grid. Thoughts? Experiences? Random thread derailments?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: Player joining over internet

For a Mage: Ascension game, one of our players moved. He's joined via a webcam attached to either Yahoo Messenger or AIM (I forget which.) It has worked pretty good.

I imagine it'd be a little harder for D&D or another game where combat strictly involves grids and move speeds, but I'm guessing OpenRPG is one of the programs that substitutes for that.

It's worked well for us, at least. Sometimes it's a little hard to hear one another, and I reckon he misses out on a bit (like not seeing the look of horror on our faces when another PC does something stupid), but if he's happy with it, we are.

The guys at Penny Arcade have also talked about how online communication works well for their group.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

Kobold

I've found that having one internet player is a trainwreck. Games entirely on or off the internet can be fun, but having a single player be confined to a laptop is difficult to work with.
    Avatar by K penguin. Sash by Damned1rishman.
    MOVIE NIGHTS AND LETS PLAYS LIVESTREAMED

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I recommend Google Hangouts.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

One of my players lives a couple of hundred miles away. Every once in a while, he comes down to play with us, but most of the rest of the time, he just plays via Skype. He's a fun, creative player, and we're glad to have him.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2012-01-24 at 02:26 AM.
    It is inevitable, of course, that persons of epicurean refinement will in the course of eternity engage in dealings with those of... unsavory character. Record well any transactions made, and repay all favors promptly.. (Thanks to Gnomish Wanderer for the Toreador avatar! )

Wanna see what all this Exalted stuff is about? Here's a primer!