Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default An OotS Death Pool

Well, we seem to be losing a lot of re-occuring characters as of late and, I'd like to start up a little game. I would like to start a little game. A game known as the Dead Pool.

For those who are unaware of the term or just have a certain red and black mercenary on the mind, a Dead Pool is a game where you take bets on who will be the next to die. There won't be any actual money up for grabs, of course, so the only real prize is bragging rights.

Whenever a character is killed off, we will begin a new round of betting. Anybody who had bet on that character's death will be awarded a point. Then everybody (even the people who didn't guess right), will be asked to make a new bet for the next round.

I'd like to set a few ground rules, though.

1. a) The character who dies generally has to have at least ten appearances in their name. For example, if the Order of the Stick were to suddenly come across a Cave Troll, you would not be allowed to bet on the Troll. The characters you bet on have to have some significance.

b) If the character happens to be very significant to the story and has had enough dialogue, I am willing to make certain exceptions. I will make it clear which characters qualify.

2. You can only bet on one character at a time.

3. You can not change your bet unless a character has been killed off. For example, if you'd nominated Belkar and a dragon were to swoop in and attack Nale, you wouldn't be allowed to suddenly change your vote to Nale.

4. You are allowed to bet on the same person more than once. For example, let's say that you had bet on O'Chul. If Lien were to be killed off, you would still be allowed to keep betting on O'Chul's death for as many rounds as you wish.

5. Characters who die in flashbacks do not count. For example, if the comic were to flashback to ten years ago and we saw Girard Draketooth dying of old age, then it would not count as a death. They have to die during the actual events of the comic.

6. Characters who are resurrected still count as having died. If Jirix were to be killed and then immediately resurrected by Redcloak, then it wouldn't change anything. The people who bet on his death would still get the points.

7. Multiple people are allowed to vote for the same character.

8. (a) If a character is put in a dangerous situation and then later discovered to have died off-panel, anybody who bet on that character will be awarded a point upon discovery of the corpse. For example, imagine if Belkar were to get lost in the forest. If the Order of the Stick were to stumble upon his corpse several strips later and learned that he had starved to death, then anybody who bet on Belkar would receive a point as soon as his death is confirmed.

(b) However, if this death conflicts with rule 5 and a character from flashbacks is discovered to have retroactively died, then no points will be awarded. For example, if somebody were to bet on Girard Draketooth, and the Order of the Stick stumbled upon his skeleton, then nobody would get a point.

9. If two characters are killed in the same strip, then points will be rewarded to anybody who bet on either character. For example, if Blackwing were to be eaten by a dog at the beginning of a strip and then V were to be killed by the same dog during the last panel of the same strip, then anybody who voted for either V or Blackwing would receive a point.

10. If characters who can't be killed by conventional means are temporarily destroyed, it will count as a death. For example, if Xykon were to be destroyed, then anybody who bet on him will still get points, even if his phylactery survives and he regenerates a few strips later.

11. You are not allowed to bet on a group. You have to choose a specific individual. For example, you would not be able to say "I bet that somebody from the Linear Guild will die". You have to specify which member it will be.

12. Characters who die in supplementary material do not qualify for the Death Pool. They have to die within the actual comic. For example, if "Haleo and Julelan" were to feature the non-canon deaths of Haley and Elan, then it would be ineligible for the pool.

Specific Rulings

- The Demon Roaches do not count on the Death Pool. None of them have any individuality or names.
    -The flumphs are also disqualified for a similar reason.
    Personally, my first bet is on Chancellor Kilkil, the flying Kobloid Chacellor. Because, well, he's a Kobloid. And he's been roped into fighting against Belkar. We all know how this story usually ends.

Current Bets

Chancellor Kilkil
    Spoiler
    Show
    RSLee
    Squeejee
    Cizak
    The Glyphstone
    EmperorSarda
    Zigg'rrauglurr
    Ferreroni
    Sniffnoy
    Anne Calie
    Mr. Pants
    ThePhantasm
    Syklone
    Verithrax
    Johanz
    Avangor
    Toy Killer
    Sajach
    Ninja Dragon

Ian Starshine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Adoendithas

Zz'dtri
    Spoiler
    Show
    ti'esar
    GreatEscape_13
    Emulgator
    EnragedFilia
    Gurgeh
    Vulkos
    Obnoxious Hydra
    Emperor Flumph
    curtis
    Squark

Jirix
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mr. Pink
    Prowl
    SheepInDisguise
    bluewurm
    ORione
    EternalRuin
    DemonRoach
    twinkletoes
    Turgon9357

Uncle Geoff
    Spoiler
    Show
    zimmerwald1915
    dps
    Peelee
    Alaba Blackveil

Belkar
    Spoiler
    Show
    sparkyinbozo
    Anarion
    Vemynal
    weso12
    martianmister
    toughluck
    Dr. Gamera
    Gift Jeraff
    Petey7
    Silver2195
    oppyu
    Dracarot
    Dark Elf Bard
    ella ventic

Xykon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Agnostik

Mr. Scruffy
    Spoiler
    Show
    IrnBruAddict
    LudiDrizzt
    DrBurr
    Iferus
    androkguz
    The Grimmace

Tarquin
    Spoiler
    Show
    G-Man Graves
    Bulldog Psion
    Miklus

Durkon
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bad Hair Day
    Jan Mattys
    Knight.Anon
    The Squirrel
    onionbreath
    PhantomDennis

Thog
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sith_Happens
    Oscredwin

Nale
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ellye
    Redgoblin
    AlfredAmeoba
    squidbreath

Elan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Uchiha Richard

Enor
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hazzardevil

Malack
    Spoiler
    Show
    Cisturn
    Dark Matter
    Seharvepernfan
    Pory
    Keeper of Starlight

Miko
    Spoiler
    Show
    blackjack217

Haley
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Second

Sabine
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lord Ruby34

Niu
    Spoiler
    Show
    smasher0404

Blackwing
    Spoiler
    Show
    sr123

Qarr
    Spoiler
    Show
    Lintecarka
    Ravian

Vaarsuvius
    Spoiler
    Show
    Sonata Arctica

Point totals
    Spoiler
    Show
    Pory: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Ravian: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    ella ventic: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Seharvepernfan: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    ThePhantasm: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Giddon: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    PhantomDennis: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Johanz: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Cleverdan22: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Dr. Gamera: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Endon the White: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Petey7: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    olthar : 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Squark: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    Orsen: 1 point (Yuyuk)
    GnomeGninjas: 1/2 points (Demon Roaches)
    Last edited by RSLee; 2012-04-15 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Current Bets

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: An OotS Dead Pool

My vote is for Ian Starshine.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hmm, this is a bit difficult - I have a very strong suspicion as to who the next major character to die will be, but a few less significant characters will almost certainly bite it first.

So I think I'm going to go with Zz'dtri - I suspect the All-New All-Different Linear Guild is going to take losses up to possibly a TPK, and of all the members, I think he's the most "expendable" and thus most likely to die first.

(By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

(By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).[/QUOTE]

I thought I was in for potentially the greatest crossover fanfic ever, but still I think this is a cool idea.

I think that the next character to die will be Jirix killed in a fit of rage by Xykon

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Hmm, I would very much like to suggest Orrin Draketooth, since Gate guardians seem to end up dead more reliably than their pursuers, but it seems he has fewer than ten appearances.

Put me down for Uncle Geoff.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Belkar, for teh drama.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

My money's on KilKil too, actually. Betting on someone who's going to fight Belkar is always smart money - the only question is whether or not somebody else will die first.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Xykon.

Too soon?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

My bet is on Yukyuk unless he and V work together in a new and exciting adventure like Thog and Elan

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

Given the situation presently, I vote for Jirix.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll go with Kilkil. I think Belkar will be happy to see him since he missed Yukyuk.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-O-E View Post
    MAJOR SPOILERS. Seriously!
    The last panel will be...
    Spoiler
    Show
    Black. 'The End' in white text.

Don't say I didn't warn you.
    I won a thread. Am I pathetic to list that in my signture? Yes. Of course I am.

Awesome avatar is awesome. And made by yldenfrei.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Rules questions:

1) Is this limited to actual, on-screen deaths? For example: it's been implied that Girard might be dead and that care of the Gate has devolved upon his descendants, but we don't know for sure that the patriarch has in fact died. If we find out that he has, does he count as the "next" main character to go even though his death was likely some time ago?

2) Since this is a world with resurrection spells, do points get deducted again if the character rejoins the living? What about if it's clear by the end of the comic they die in that they'll be resurrected? What about if they are raised as an undead with their own soul? Without? Etc. etc.

...Why yes, I'm an insufferable pedant in real life, too, why do you ask?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Bugbear in the Playground

ClericGirl

I'll go long and say Redcloak. It's unlikely, but I have a sneaking suspicion that his recent badassery is just Rich throwing him a bone.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pink View Post
    (By the way, it would make more sense and confuse less comics fans if you called this a Death Pool).
    I thought I was in for potentially the greatest crossover fanfic ever, but still I think this is a cool idea.
    [/QUOTE]

Yeah, me too (the crossover thing). The 4th wall is thin enough in OoTS already, I can't imagine anything would be left once the Merc With A Mouth got through with it.

My vote is Kilkil as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jirix is looking lucky today.
    Illud quod aeternitatem iacere potest non mortuus est, ac dis peregrinis etiam mors moriatur.

D&D 3.5≠Pathfinder

Typhon by Kaptainkrutch. Thanks to TylerB7 for the latin

16. - Top - End - #16
    Pixie in the Playground

Goblin

I'm tempted to hedge my bets with Chancellor Kilkil, but I'm going to make my choice for Zz'drti. Any bonus points for choosing how he goes? Gonna bet that V does the deed, but not by intention (rather by accident or fallout from a spell that is instead designed to incapacitate him).

Cheers.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Pixie in the Playground

MindFlayer

I'll go with Jirix as well, you'd get pretty bad odds on him considering that last we saw Xykon had his hands around his throat, and we all know that Xykon kills things just for fun. He's still a "winner" if Redcloak casts Raise dead, right?

18. - Top - End - #18

By the subject line I thought we were going to talk about a Stick Figure implementation of Dead Pool, not a betting pool. I am disappointed.

My vote goes to the flying lizard for who dies next though.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Gonna go for Yukyuk, since likely that's where the story will go after team evil, and once that domination wears off V's going to either work with him or kill him. And lets face it, people who are cruel to animals are bound to die.

Edit: Plus he's redundant with Kilkil now
    Last edited by Ravian; 2012-01-26 at 11:06 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Mr Scruffy. I think he will die before Belkar. Hope I'm wrong but I'm placing my bet.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ella ventic View Post
    Rules questions:

1) Is this limited to actual, on-screen deaths? For example: it's been implied that Girard might be dead and that care of the Gate has devolved upon his descendants, but we don't know for sure that the patriarch has in fact died. If we find out that he has, does he count as the "next" main character to go even though his death was likely some time ago?

2) Since this is a world with resurrection spells, do points get deducted again if the character rejoins the living? What about if it's clear by the end of the comic they die in that they'll be resurrected? What about if they are raised as an undead with their own soul? Without? Etc. etc.

...Why yes, I'm an insufferable pedant in real life, too, why do you ask?
    And another question: are we allowed to bet on a character that someone else has already bet on? Traditionally, in these things, that's not allowed, but it's RSLee's pool, so it's his call.

If we can double up, I'll take Uncle Geoff. Otherwise, gee, hmm, not many decent choices left. I guess Lien.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Banned

DrowGuy

Sure it is. Plenty of websites do this with celebrities, except you make a list of who will die within the year, and get points for each one who croaks.

Anyway, I vote for Mr. Scruffy.

More importantly, could we get a list of everyone's votes in the first post, divided up by character?

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dps View Post
    And another question: are we allowed to bet on a character that someone else has already bet on? Traditionally, in these things, that's not allowed, but it's RSLee's pool, so it's his call.
    I assume we can, so Kilkil.

If not, Nale, nastily.
    As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapable of solving approaches zero.

Blackwing: I prefer to think of myself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur.

Forum Explorer: Reading or watching Cupcakes is like being shot. We honor your suffering but nobody wants it to happen.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hm, all right, YukYuk for me then.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Tarquin. I said it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Then you'd be George R. R. Martin, I guess, but with a slightly better update schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant
    It's rare that a thread reaches the proper conclusion in the second post. When it does, everyone else should stop posting on it.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Halfling in the Playground

I know that Belkar's time is quickly counting down. I also figure Kilkil will outlive Belkar, if Kilkil doesn't kill Belkar outright. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say Durkon dies next, and at the hand of Malack.

I'm not sure who would cast Resurrection on him, because it's probably too soon in the comic for Durkon to be completely out of the picture. But we do know from the prophesy that Durkon only goes home to the dwarven lands in a short pine box.

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Agnostik View Post
    Xykon.

Too soon?
    Too late, actually. Much too late.

I'm going with Jirix. I think Xykon will strangle him, but Redcloak will ressurect him (again).

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

I want to say Ian or Geoff, but they might be out of the story for quite a while. So I guess I'll go with Kilkil, but not because of Belkar's kobold slaying. It's just that, out of all the characters heading for Girard's Gate, he strikes me as the least important.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: An OotS Death Pool

Okay. I've added a few rules in order to answer a few of the questions. I've also recorded the current bets in order to make it all easier to keep track of.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: An OotS Death Pool

Entire Linear Guild! or at least Nale and Tarquin.
    Spoiler
    Show
    and leaving Sabine with Nale's child!
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3