New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: The Barbarian (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by DrewVolker View Post
    Me again. Haha, I just had an idea I thought would be pretty darn epic for this class.

I know you got a really good list of totem animals at the moment, but I have an idea for how you could expand it.

One word: Dinosaurs.

I at first thought maybe just a dinosaur progression in general, but then I started thinking about how all the dinosaurs differ from one another. Anyway, you could just make a few types of dinosaur totem animals and people that want to pick a dinosaur just pick which type is closest to the dinosaur they want.

What are your thoughts on this?
    That is a great idea, though the possibilities will be limited, since a Medium barbarian can only use up to a Large creature as its animal for the lycanthrope template. So classics like the Triceratops, Allosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus wouldn't be available (all of them are Huge).

I might do this, if I can find enough dinosaurs who are different and have a listed Animal Companion LA of -6 or less.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    That is a great idea, though the possibilities will be limited, since a Medium barbarian can only use up to a Large creature as its animal for the lycanthrope template. So classics like the Triceratops, Allosaurus, and Tyrannosaurus wouldn't be available (all of them are Huge).

I might do this, if I can find enough dinosaurs who are different and have a listed Animal Companion LA of -6 or less.
    After a quick bit of research I found that there are 28 different types of dinosaurs that can be animal companions. I am not sure how many are within the size range you said, but I'm willing to put some time in and find out.
    Now as for the size issue though, if you felt like you did want to play say a Tyrannosaurus barbarian, but were medium size, maybe you could only become a "large" Tyrannosaurus, and not a "Huge" one. Applying the stat changes from the size change chart to the Tyrannosaurus you use for the lycanthrope template.

3. - Top - End - #93

After a quick bit of research I found that there are 28 different types of dinosaurs that can be animal companions. I am not sure how many are within the size range you said, but I'm willing to put some time in and find out.
    Thank you, I'd appreciate that.

Now as for the size issue though, if you felt like you did want to play say a Tyrannosaurus barbarian, but were medium size, maybe you could only become a "large" Tyrannosaurus, and not a "Huge" one. Applying the stat changes from the size change chart to the Tyrannosaurus you use for the lycanthrope template.
    That still involves going against the flavor and mechanics of actual D&D creatures and essentially creating a brand new animal just for this class, which I already stated I don't want to do. And even if I changed just for the lycanthropy template, the tyrannosaurus barbarian would not be able to get his animal companion for a long time, and wouldn't be able to Totem Shape until he had 18 HD. (Again, the only way around this is to create a "young" tyrannosaur.)
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-04-06 at 04:50 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    Thank you, I'd appreciate that.

That still involves going against the flavor and mechanics of actual D&D creatures and essentially creating a brand new animal just for this class, which I already stated I don't want to do. And even if I changed just for the lycanthropy template, the tyrannosaurus barbarian would not be able to get his animal companion for a long time, and wouldn't be able to Totem Shape until he had 18 HD. (Again, the only way around this is to create a "young" tyrannosaur.)
    Okay, it seems that (going off the list I have of all official animal companion choices) 10 dinosaurs are able to fit within the -6 level or less category.

Now, assuming medium is the characters size (as we should) that means only small, medium and large animals can be used. Off the list of 10 dinosaurs in the -6 level or less category, 7 fit that bill.
    Swindlespitter (MM3, Small, no level minus), Dimetrodon (DR318, Large, Level -3), Fleshraker (MM3, Medium, Level -3), Pteranodon (DR318, Medium, Level -3), Cryptoclidus (MM2, Large, Level -6), Deinonychus (MM, Large, Level -6), and Protoceratops (SAND, Medium, Level -6).
    Not many of them are iconic dinosaurs, with the raptor being the most iconic in my opinion out of the options.

5. - Top - End - #95

Alright, if I have some time in the next week or so, I'll make some ACFs for this.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hurray for savage-o-sauruses!

7. - Top - End - #97
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    Hurray for savage-o-sauruses!
    Since Neo said he'd try to make "ACFs" for it, he should name the dinosaur one "Savageosaurus" or "Barbarodon". Just sayin. x)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Since Neo said he'd try to make "ACFs" for it, he should name the dinosaur one "Savageosaurus" or "Barbarodon". Just sayin. x)
    This made me laugh! Yes, it did.

Actually, saurus is Latin. Savage has its roots in Latin also. So...if Seraphi is so...considerate of this thought...perhaps it should be called a Silvasaurus...

I really mean this politely!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Story Time View Post
    This made me laugh! Yes, it did.

Actually, saurus is Latin. Savage has its roots in Latin also. So...if Seraphi is so...considerate of this thought...perhaps it should be called a Silvasaurus...

I really mean this politely!
    Wood lizard?

No, Savisaurus and Cerabarb.

of course, Velociraptors (Clawfoots (Eberron Campaign Setting, Page 279-280)) are awesome enough as is
    Last edited by toapat; 2012-04-08 at 06:41 PM.
    My Homebrew: found here.
    When you Absolutely, Positively, Gotta Drop some Huge rocks, Accept NO Substitutes

PM Me if you would like a table from my homebrew reconstructed.

Drow avatar @ myself