New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default [B:TBtP] Bleach: Turn Back the Pendulum OOC

Quote Originally Posted by 3000 years ago
    "Afterlife is in chaos - the Spirit King has shut the gates of Seireitei and the noble clans are disparate, each impersonating as their own pantheon of Kami to mortals and fighting with each other. Souls of the deceased are torn between different sects, unable to seek true enlightment... that is, those who are able to find their way to their proper resting place in the first place!

With their gods more interested in their petty infighting, more and more souls get lost by the day - those who led a decent life fall into desperation and lose their hearts, deprived of reward or reprieve, and evil souls deserving of punishment are free to flee Hell's clutches, wreaking havoc upon earth. Tales even tell of mortals who've taken it to their own hands to exorcise maddened spirits... but can they, just barely knowing of the world beyond, preserve balance of the Wheel of Life?

Something must be done... but who is there to do it? The King is a king in name only, his forces outnumbered by the nobles many times over. Yet the world is in need of a guiding hand, a harsh hand, if need be.

Somehow, the afterlife must be united, so that balance can be restored and justice can prevail. But is one person with a sword enough to do all that?"
    So, you're probably wondering, what the heck is this?

Well, I feel it's time for a new Bleach game, with as many new players as we can muster. The idea is to tell the beginnings of Gotei 13 and Shinigami as we know them from the source manga.

The over-arching idea is pretty simple - we start with one Shinigami, trying to gather all the others to found what will become our own Gotei 13. Who will that be, remains to be seen. There's a number of things I hope this will achieve, most importantly, the ability organically introduce new characters. New characters, even powerful ones, appearing from the woodwork to have their shot at glory will fit the theme perfectly.

The second big thing I hope this will allow is starting and running the game with even a handful of interested players - we won't have to worry where 10 out 13 Captains or what-not are, we can just say (with good heart) that they've not been rectruited yet.

Of course, this outset means some elements of Bleach won't be on the table from the start. Whether they'll be introduced later down the line depends on us players, but here are the biggest things:

• No canon characters. For one, they've yet to be born save for whopping two: the Soul King and Yamamoto Genryūsai Shigekuni, and the last one's just a guess. For two, I don't want to tie anyone to playing Yama-Jii, as cool as he is.
    • If you liked the urban fantasy feel of early Bleach, I'm sorry, this game is not for you. The modern world will not make an appearance, and the mortal cast will have a small role (historically, Japan doesn't even exist yet!). The focus is on Soul Society.
    • Likewise, Hueco Mundo will play a bit part in the start. There is no Aizen, no Las Noches, no Espada, no nothing. Hollow characters are welcome, but expect them to have high mortality rate.
    • There are also no Arrancars and no Visored, no Bounts and no way to make them. I won't say they'll never make it into the game, but my stance right off the bat is: no-one gets to be one by default. All such inventions and transformations shall take place in the game! (Why waste dramatic potential of such transformation by having it happen off-screen anyway?)
    • This should be obvious from the premise, but no academy, no crazy research department, no healing squad, no ninja squad, no Kenpachi, no combat division, so on and so forth. Hopefully, we'll tell a story of how they came to be in our canon.

So, what will there be?

There will be:

• Shinigami. (Duh.)
    • Swords with wacky names and even wackier alternate forms.
    • Hollows, Pluses and rusting soul chains.
    • Hell. (I'm open to making it very different from that one movie I have not seen. )
    • Maybe Quincies and Fullbringers - there's room for them in the premise, but you're going to have to stretch your imagination a bit - they're going to have to be different from their canon counterparts.
    • Kido and crazy magic poetry.
    • Substitute Shinigami are not off the table either, though the sexy uniform will have to wait.
    • Epic battles!
    • Hopefully, a much better plot than original Bleach. In my opinion, it's held true with the previous Bleach games, let's make it true here as well!

So what are the rules?
    Spoiler
    Show

First, the general rule of freeform stands: don't godmod.
    Second, we have a general plot going on: formation of Gotei and organizing of afterlife. If you have big plot ideas that would severely affect this, run them by other players.
    Third, don't ruin anyone else's fun. Fourth, have fun.

Other guidelines:

1. Ask before jumping into other people's fights or other personal scenes! Please respect that all plots might not be open. Alternatively, if you yourself want to keep a fight cordoned off from other participants, say so in the OOC, at the beginning of your post, or both.
    2. TALK fights over with your opponent! This is to keep arguments about who's the better fighter, who should win, blablablablabla, out of the OOC. It also gives you a common goal to work toward. Of course, I'd prefer you talk these things over in PM, or some kind of IM service. While arguments might break out over said PM/IM... It keeps it out of the OOC, and won't spoil any surprises. On that note...
    3. Don't argue in the OOC! It's tedious for other players. If you have a problem with someone, settle it in PRIVATE. Discussing the setting, characters and plotpoints is OK, but once you start digging your trenches, move away from the public OOC.
    4. If you really can't decide, flip a coin already! If you can't reach an agreement with someone, let even chance decide who's right. That way, you can move on, and the game can continue.

About Main Threads and Episodes:

Episode threads are a tradition from previous games that I happen to like. Simply, they're for events that are tangential to the main plot but might take considerable time to pan out - to avoid cluttering the main thread, they get a thread of their own. Episodes are for things like:

• Long flashbacks or character backstories.
    • Long fights and other private scenes
    • Events that happen outside Soul Society (such as in human world or Hueco Mundo)
    • Non-canon and comedy events.

There will eventually be a numbered list of Episodes in this post.

Frequently Asked Questions about the setting:
    Spoiler
    Show

What is the status of Soul Society?

Seireitei exists, but the walls are down (have been so for nearly a century) and it's shut off from the rest of Soul Society. Rukongai exists, but is much more varied culturally and contains more rural and wild areas. Some districts are small cities on their own, ruled by Kami nobles.

What is the status of Hueco Mundo?

It's there. There's not much more than sands and Hollows there. It isn't meant to feature strongly at the beginning of the game, and time will show if it'll gain a more prominent

What is the status of the mortal world?

Well, Japan as a nation doesn't exist yet, and people there are living through the prehiistoric Jõmon period. You can read a little about it from Wikipedia, but don't sweat historical accuracy too much; this is a fantasy game at heart, after all.

I don't mind things appearing more modern than they "should be" in Soul Society either; canonically, Yamamoto is more than 2000 years old, yet still has a Katana. You can be pretty lax about the details and portray Soul Society much like you've seen it in canon.

What is the status of Shinigami?

The rank of Shinigami, as seen in canon bleach, has yet to emerge. Instead, spirits with spiritual power (Reiryoku) are collectively referred to as "Kami". Any Kami who bothers to ferry souls from mortal realm to afterlife can be called a Shinigami, whether they have a Zanpakuto or not.

What should my character wear?

Anything you think is fitting. Shihakusho, the black uniform kimono seen in canon, doesn't exist yet, and is not emblematic of a Shinigami.

What is the status of Zanpakuto?

Zanpakuto commonly refers to any weapon made in Soul Society, whether or not they can be released for Shikai or Bankai. Zanpakuto swords have yet to become emblematic of a Shinigami. Formal training for Shikai and Bankai do not exist yet, so if your character has one of those, he must've learned it him/herself.

What is the status of Kido?

Kido exists, and is broadly divided into Hado and Bakudo, as in canon. However, there's no Academy to formally teach the art, so characters must've either learned from an independent teacher or be self-learned. The numbered ranks seen in canon also don't exist yet.

Can I start with Shikai/Bankai/Vizard mask/Shunko/whatever?

For a Shinigami character, it's always okay to have up to Shikai level release, as long as the power is acceptable. It's possible for a character to have Bankai starting out (again, if the power is acceptable), though I'd rather keep the number small. Show what you've got, and we'll see.

Other releases/transformations/whatever have to be acquired during the game, by playing the character. Do note: you can plan ahead and throw ideas around out of the game. You don't need approval for powers your character doesn't have or can't use yet to play that character. A power needs to be approved of when it enters play, but not earlier.

Other FAQs:
    Spoiler
    Show

How do I start?

Take a look at the character registry. You can swipe a character template from there. Once you have worked out a chassis for your character, post him/her in this thread or the registry and let people take a look. Once a few days have passed and people have had the chance to comment or critique, post or edit the complete character entry into the registry and start playing.

To get into the flow of things, avoid passiveness - have your character seek out others in the IC, or ask other players to join their plots in the OOC. Feel free to scheme and start your own subplots.

Is this game related to earlier Bleach games?

Not in any special manner. This continuity is brand new and separate from both Canon and the earlier games.

Can I import my character from Nexus/BitP/whatever?

Only if you're sure they'll fit this setting. This universe is closed off from other Freeform universes on these boards.

Links:

Character Registry

IC thread
    Bleach Wiki (for additional setting information.)
    Behind the Name (for character names)
    Wikipedia: list of common surnames
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-01-28 at 10:09 PM.
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: [B:TBtP] Bleach: Turn Back the Pendulum OOC

Well, color me interested, at least.

Won't be getting any character stuff up till later tonight, though. Still got work today.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: [B:TBtP] Bleach: Turn Back the Pendulum OOC

Colour me interested as well, this will most certainly be amazing.

Since I will try to go for both accuracy and fun, are we allowed to play Kami or regular pluses from cultures outside of the Japan-to-be? Because I kind of want to play someone from the Greek Dark Ages, Ancient Egypt or Urnfield culture...

I am really geeky, am I not? ^_^'

Which reminds me, would the gods of ancient religions (Greek, Egyptian, etc.) be Kami or Hollow who sought worship and power? It seems logical for the setting. :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

4. - Top - End - #4

Playing Kami: No. Never. Not in a million years. (Assuming you're referring to the Kami, that is.)

By Gods, I'm assuming he means ancient, unfathomably powerful beings (by mortal standards,), presumably Norse, Mesopotamian, or such.

Greek Gods are out for being horribly broken in every way, shape and form, as they're just ludicrously powerful.

These are what we have available three thousand years ago:

Spoiler
    Show

Egypt: the New Kingdom era was collapsing

Mesopotamia: Babylon was in decline

Greece: Greece was beginning a period which would later be known as the Dark Ages characterized by the loss of Mycenaean writing

Rome: there was no city of Rome: only seven hills with a few hamlets

South Asia: the Aryans were settling on the plain of the Ganges River

Pacific Ocean Islands: the Lapita people were sailing to New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga

China: the Zhou dynasty was in its first century of rule

Middle East: the Hebrew tribes were uniting under the leadership of Saul

Europe: the Celtic migrations were beginning

Mesoamerica: the Mayans were draining swamps to create new farmlands

North America: American Indians by this time had developed many diverse cultures. What follows is a brief overview, based on archaeological findings, of some of the things that were happening in North America around 1000 BCE.

Greece is just beginning the dark ages, sorry man.

Egyptian Gods are definitely Hollow, probably lesser to greater Arrancar, meaning they will not be playable, due to the whole "Happens in the RP" rule we have going. Mesopotamian gods might be Kami, but whatever.

Honestly, you should wait for Froze before trying to pitch a god character.
    I make avatars. Send me a request.
    BiTP:RCharacters
    Let's Play: Video Games!
    I suffer from major insomnia, don't be surprised if I'm on at odd hours.

5. - Top - End - #5

Hmmm...I'm thinking of making a character that likes to tinker. Build gadgets and stuff. Of course, I'd keep it low-tech, since this is thousands of years ago.

Any problems with that?

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Phew. Now that took a lot longer than expected.

Sorry for the long-ass intro. I think I got a bit carried away. The important bit is, if anyone wants to save my character from trouble, the fastest one wins.

A note about Nami & Nagi: yes, I made it bios for two NPCs who I also killed off in my first post. They're supposed to be building blocks for character backgrounds - they were nice, likeable people who some of your characters could've known. (I've yet to read all the bios with enough detail to name which ones exactly, but anyway.)

I also made a few Hollow villains to butcher once things get rolling.

And yes, my primary character is a shameless Ichigo spoof. Live with it. ;-P

To answer Kerfuffle's question:

I'd rather Kami characters be mostly based on oriental myths (japanese, chinese, hindu...), since those are closest to our source material. That said, if you want to play a character based on some occidental myth, consider making a Hollow character - like with Canon Arrancars, I can stand Hollows drawing from a little larger cultural base.

It isn't too much of a problem what creature/myth you base your character in, as long as you bring the power level to par with other players. I already based four of my five characters on varying oriental myths.

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    To answer Kerfuffle's question:[/B]

I'd rather Kami characters be mostly based on oriental myths (japanese, chinese, hindu...), since those are closest to our source material. That said, if you want to play a character based on some occidental myth, consider making a Hollow character - like with Canon Arrancars, I can stand Hollows drawing from a little larger cultural base.

It isn't too much of a problem what creature/myth you base your character in, as long as you bring the power level to par with other players. I already based four of my five characters on varying oriental myths.
    Um...I think that was Keveak's question.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Um...I think that was Keveak's question.
    Oh... uh... that's what I get for not having slept this night.

Quote Originally Posted by KerfuffleMach2 View Post
    Hmmm...I'm thinking of making a character that likes to tinker. Build gadgets and stuff. Of course, I'd keep it low-tech, since this is thousands of years ago.

Any problems with that?
    No problems whatsoever. In Canon, Soul Society is far ahead in some sciences even though Rukongai is seemingly feudal. There's very much room for some inventors. You could begin with... you know, steel for starters.

9. - Top - End - #9

No problems whatsoever. In Canon, Soul Society is far ahead in some sciences even though Rukongai is seemingly feudal. There's very much room for some inventors. You could begin with... you know, steel for starters.
    Yay steel!

Okey dokey, should have a character up soon, then.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

10. - Top - End - #10

Phew. Now that took a lot longer than expected.

Sorry for the long-ass intro. I think I got a bit carried away. The important bit is, if anyone wants to save my character from trouble, the fastest one wins.

A note about Nami & Nagi: yes, I made it bios for two NPCs who I also killed off in my first post. They're supposed to be building blocks for character backgrounds - they were nice, likeable people who some of your characters could've known. (I've yet to read all the bios with enough detail to name which ones exactly, but anyway.)

I also made a few Hollow villains to butcher once things get rolling.

I responded. Unfortunately, first posts are not exactly my specialty. They are kinda like every other post for me, and with your humongous one, mine just seems even less so...
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Akane
    Spoiler
    Show

Age: Older than she looks, and certainly older than anyone except her knows.
    Height: Medium-sized.
    Weight: Slender
    Reiatsu: Akane's reiatsu feels... odd. Not wrong, but there's nothing in the world quite like it. The best way to describe it is that in her presence, her skill and knowledge is almost tangible in the air.
    Social Status: Scholar and wise woman.

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Akane is a young-looking woman, with black hair, fair skin and piercing hazel eyes, generally smiling in a serene manner. She generally wears white and red robes, in what looks like the robes of a Shrine Maiden- or will, when the concept of a Shrine Maiden is even concieved of. She carries a staff, but no other weapon.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    TBD (Basically, she's smart, knows it, and is fairly wise.)

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    TBD

General Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hoho: In short: not very. Akane is a very stationary combatant, and while she can use Shunpo, she's not good enough with it to use it in battle.
    Hakuda: Again: not very skilled.
    Zanjutsu: Once more: not a serious threat in this area. She doesn't even bother carrying a sword, not least because her Zanpaktou never takes the shape of one.
    Kido: In short: one of the best, if not the best, in all of Soul Society at Kido overall. Akane is capable of casting every spell not specific to a single Shinigami at least chanted, and the majority unchanted.

(Zanpakuto:) Name of your character's Zanpakuto
    Spoiler
    Show
    Description or picture of the blade's sealed form.

(Inner World:)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Description of your character mental imagery, where their Sword Spirit resides.

(Zanpakuto Spirit:)
    Spoiler
    Show
    What does spirit of your character's Zanpakuto look like and what kind of a person it is?

(Shikai:)
    Release command for your character's Zanpakuto.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Description of the Shikai's appearance and powers.

(Bankai:) Name of Bankai
    Spoiler
    Show
    Description of the Bankai's appearance and powers.

(Story so far:)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Summary of things your character has done and people he has met during his time in play.

Any comments so far? Very preliminary write-up so far, gives an idea of her powers.
    Last edited by horngeek; 2012-01-28 at 01:13 AM.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #12

Okay, mine's up. Cookie to whoever can guess the inspiration behind her zanpakuto's name.

And I'll probably come up with a Shikai and Bankai later.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground

Pfft. I did it first.
    [ There was a signature here. It's gone now. ]

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Zarah View Post
    Pfft. I did it first.
    My character certainly isn't a shameless rip-off, in anyway shape or form.

Nope.

Not at all.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Terry576 View Post
    Playing Kami: No. Never. Not in a million years. (Assuming you're referring to the Kami, that is.)
    Uhm, I was referring to this part of Frozen's FAQ:

"What is the status of Shinigami?

The rank of Shinigami, as seen in canon bleach, has yet to emerge. Instead, spirits with spiritual power (Reiryoku) are collectively referred to as "Kami". Any Kami who bothers to ferry souls from mortal realm to afterlife can be called a Shinigami, whether they have a Zanpakuto or not."

So I thought most characters would be Kami, sorry if I misunderstood. m(_ _)m

By Gods, I'm assuming he means ancient, unfathomably powerful beings (by mortal standards,), presumably Norse, Mesopotamian, or such.

Greek Gods are out for being horribly broken in every way, shape and form, as they're just ludicrously powerful.
    I just meant the origins of the myths about them, sorry for the confusion. m(_ _)m

I was merely considering that Artemis might be a Kami huntress of Hollows, Hephaistos a forger of Zanpakuto, Hermes a master of speed-based Kido and Zeus one who has achieved a shikai that throw lightning. Not that they wee actually as powerful as the later myths tell, that would just be bragging on their part.

It made some sense to me since oracles would fit as spiritually aware mortals in their service and the fall of religions as the death of the Kami behind it.

Spoiler
    Show

Egypt: the New Kingdom era was collapsing

Mesopotamia: Babylon was in decline

Greece: Greece was beginning a period which would later be known as the Dark Ages characterized by the loss of Mycenaean writing

Rome: there was no city of Rome: only seven hills with a few hamlets

South Asia: the Aryans were settling on the plain of the Ganges River

Pacific Ocean Islands: the Lapita people were sailing to New Caledonia, Fiji, Samoa, and Tonga

China: the Zhou dynasty was in its first century of rule

Middle East: the Hebrew tribes were uniting under the leadership of Saul

Europe: the Celtic migrations were beginning

Mesoamerica: the Mayans were draining swamps to create new farmlands

North America: American Indians by this time had developed many diverse cultures. What follows is a brief overview, based on archaeological findings, of some of the things that were happening in North America around 1000 BCE.

Greece is just beginning the dark ages, sorry man.

Egyptian Gods are definitely Hollow, probably lesser to greater Arrancar, meaning they will not be playable, due to the whole "Happens in the RP" rule we have going. Mesopotamian gods might be Kami, but whatever.

Honestly, you should wait for Froze before trying to pitch a god character.
    I know... I specifically mentioned that "I kind of want to play someone from the Greek Dark Ages, Ancient Egypt or Urnfield culture". I am doing research on what is available.

Wonder why only the Egyptians are Hollows, though. They are no worse than any other pantheon of the time (Just look at how most of Zeus' children got conceived. ) and this is a time where the guilty apparently go unpunished in the afterlife.

Or is it their appearances? Because that do make sense, then. ^_^'

Also, I just asked if the gods would be Kami or Hollow. Didn't say I intended to play one. Although I wouldn't mind if a character of mine somehow managed to get popular with a Hellas-to-be village's shaman and started the cult of Demeter or something. :3

To answer Kerfuffle's question:[/B]

This was indeed my question, sorry for that.

I don't mind limiting myself to oriental myths at all, my ideas in that direction were actually intended to be the basis of myths and just having logical abilities for the inspiration. If that makes sense.

My main question was more directed at whether we could play spirits who had lived in proto-Europe before dying, though. It seems a bit weird that every dead person who makes it to the afterlife is from the same country, but I don't mind playing a character from Proto-Japan at all.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm okay with spirits from the larger world making their way into Soul Society. Make your character and let's see if he fits. Your example ideas for the Greek gods weren't too bad.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

A game without the baggage of canon material and a prelude to the actual Bleach?

Color me quite interested.

As a Chinese growing up in a pretty traditional environment, I have intimacy with source material of deities from the Zhou period (which Terry has conveniently pointed out) which matches my source materials very perfectly.

Is this acceptable source material for my characters?
    Last edited by Nicklance; 2012-01-28 at 11:22 AM.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

Seems like a good source of inspiration to me.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Looks like good sources to me too, Nick. And Welcome!

On another note, character draft! :3

Paeon
    Spoiler
    Show

Height: 177 cm
    Weight: 67 kg
    Reiatsu: Windy and warm, but looming and stormy in anger.
    Social Status: Peasant, reasonably good standing.

Appearance:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paeon's most notable characteristic is the large greying beard, a multitude of bags and a sheepskin cloak ordained with many pockets over a simple blue tunic, shoving signs of Mycenaean design. His hair mimics the beard's colour and is kept shoulder-length and out of a pair of studious brown eyes.

The Greek Kami appears well-trained, if more wiry than muscular, and seems of great health and optimism despite the ageing effect of his hair.

Often carrying his Zanpakuto as a walking stick, Paeon usually picks a fast pace when walking, giving an impression of excitement and hurry.

Personality:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Paeon is joyful and curious, often times humming cheery tunes while studying, but also prone to bragging and forgetting trivialities like safety and manners when grand discoveries and quests are abound. Quests, discovery and the exchange of tales being of great enjoyment to the former healer, as well as breads and wines. Although he can neither bake nor brew

History:
    Spoiler
    Show
    A healer and herbalist of a small Greek-to-be village in his mortal life, Paeon experienced few extraordinary events sans frequent hauntings and spirit guidance of one with a measure of spiritual power.

Passing away during a fire starting during the night of a celebration with the craftmakers of his village, Paeon rejoiced at the cultural diversity of the afterlife and spend several years filling bags and pockets with everything from charms, jewellery and cloth to herbs and scrolls.

Despite a mean effort into searching for fellow villagers of his home, Paeon has little idea of how the fire started.

General Abilities:
    Spoiler
    Show

Hoho: Paeon is just above average in speed, but can keep up the a pace for long. Flash step is outside his repertoire, unfortunately.
    Hakuda: Paeon's unarmed skills are average and better fit for the friendly brawl and wrestle than serious combat.
    Zanjutsu: Paeon has reasonable skills with blades, but is far more used to staves as his Zanpakuto, with which he can fight fairly well.
    Kido: Paeon's biggest strength lie in Kido, having gathered both knowledge and skills in his time in the afterlife.
    Hado: A handful of very minor ones and two stronger destructive spells Shō being the most used one.
    Bakudo: Many weaker protective charms and spells helpful in many cases, but only three of great significance. Two of which are the protective spells Hainawa and Enkōsen.

Zanpakuto: Ophion Akesios (Serpent of Healing)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A long staff of Iron with a cheerful silver snake's head sculptured at the top.

(Inner World:)
    Spoiler
    Show
    A small clearing in a foggy forest, lighted by strange sunlight that seems to come from the viewer.

Ophion Akesios is entwined around a wooden chair covered in sheekskin and pillows and surrounded by scrolls, giving the impression of comfort and having plenty of time.

(Zanpakuto Spirit:)
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ophion Akesios appears as a long snake with scales of bright and happy-looking hues of green and blue. Perpetually smiling and often wearing one of the Mycenaean soft pointy hats, the snake seems quite harmless and of a quite friendly demeanour. Sounding as if about to break out in innocent laughter and always curious for news.

Shikai:
    Chronos Akesios, Ophion Akesios! (Time of healing, Ophion Akesios! if my translation is correct)
    Spoiler
    Show
    The staff transform to the shape of its spirit as the tail wraps around Paeon's arm, giving the healer far extended range and an ally in battle.

Despite having no poison, the snake's bite is still bone-crushing and its grip many times stronger than its owner's own strength, being able to strike swiftly and incapacitate or entwine an enemy within moments.

Bankai:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that would be an achievement!

Story so far:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That is for a future story, and a glorious one!

Hope everything is all right, I am not sure if having the Zanpakuto spirit be able to control itself in Shikai makes sense. ^_^'
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-01-29 at 01:26 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've been taking a look at the IC thread and it seems that people have been posting with dazzling rates, and I'm afraid I won't be able to keep up to date, due to real world duties, plus GMing for 2 or more groups.
    Expect my character being introduced as a latecomer, if at all, unless another solution is found.
    Divinely masterful avatar by Ceika. The Four Voices of Esto.

21. - Top - End - #21

Paeon looks good, but I've been thinking, and if your character isn't from Fake-Japan, the Zanpakuto name shouldn't be either. It really breaks the suspense of disbelief to hear a Greek man shouting japanese words, instead of a greek release and such.

22. - Top - End - #22

And then there were two. The tale of the band of adventures begins as it forms and grows, leading a grand adventure together all in good humor and grace.
    LGBTitP
    The CHALLENGE|My Poetry|My Short Stories
    Fantastic FFTA Assassin Viera avvie by the fabulous Jokasti
    Spoiler
    Show
    Snow Flake: My Little Toshiro Hitsugaya Pony by Smuchmuch

Kyasarin Shihan drawing by the talented Moon Wolf

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Paeon looks fine, though I have to second terry about his zanpakuto's name. It would seem more fitting for it to be Greek as well.

On another news, I figured this detail I forgot to mention would be important: Seireitei has been shut off for one century. You can use this to determine whether your character would remember the reign of the King.

About characters: for characters who rely heavily on Kido, I'd like to know their three most used spells by name. You can also invent your own spells, in which case I also want to know what they do and what are their chants.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Paeon looks good, but I've been thinking, and if your character isn't from Fake-Japan, the Zanpakuto name shouldn't be either. It really breaks the suspense of disbelief to hear a Greek man shouting japanese words, instead of a greek release and such.
    Paeon looks fine, though I have to second terry about his zanpakuto's name. It would seem more fitting for it to be Greek as well.
    Yay!

That's a very good point, shouldn't be too difficult to translate either.

On another news, I figured this detail I forgot to mention would be important: Seireitei has been shut off for one century. You can use this to determine whether your character would remember the reign of the King.
    Certainly excludes Paeon, unless he died very young and just looked really really old for his age.

About characters: for characters who rely heavily on Kido, I'd like to know their three most used spells by name. You can also invent your own spells, in which case I also want to know what they do and what are their chants.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about Kido, but would these do?

Hainawa

Enkōsen

Shō
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Yes, those Kido do well.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Spoiler
    Show

Jiang Ziya

Spoiler
    Show
    Vital Stats:
    Height: 170cm
    Weight: 50kg
    Hair: Long, wavy, light brown hair that seems to fade to purple at the top.
    Skin: Fair with a very subtle inner shine that only reiatsu senses can pick up and mundane senses would not.
    Eyes: Light brown eyes.
    Attire: Wears a black and white dress with long strips of black ribbon going across the midriff. White ribbons crosses along the arms, matching her lower legs.
    Social Status: Outsider (relative to the Soul Society setting)
    Origin: Heaven of Jade Purity
    Reiatsu: An iridescent shimmer resembling an aurora emanates from her body and would saturate the air around her till a range of around 10ft radius. The shimmer is accompanied by tinkling music comprising mostly of chimes and other bell-related instruments and the air that is touched by the reiatsu carries an otherworldly fragrance.

Backstory
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ziya hails from an afterlife from far away called the Heaven of Jade Purity. Those who would talk to her, despite her outlandish attire and mannerisms which no doubt clashes with any native sensibilities not from her home will know that Ziya's home is a resplendant paradise of grandoise architecture, deific landscape and sublime environment. Yet this paradise she hails from is not a reward for a life well spent, nor is it a nirvana one simply walks into and stays. The Heaven of Jade Purity is a scholarly order of strict monastic traditions, and each inhabitant forever a student of a spiritual path they call the Way. One must have lived a life pursuing enlightenment in the Way and the Heaven of Jade Purity provides the infrastructure to further those studies even when life leaves the mortal coil.

As one holds no attachment to the dross of mundane past, Ziya joins her peers in their contemplation and studies and training. Beyond the meditation and praying sessions and training, the students embark on martial arts training as well, specialising in the elegant yet potentially deadly art of swordplay, all to build upon the fact that a healthy body houses a healthy mind and both house a healthy soul. It also helps the fact that in the very real and terrifying Underworld where savage monsters of darkness and hungry spirits terrorise both the living and the peaceful dead. Students of the Way not only seek enlightenment, but also guide the living and usher the peaceful dead to their rest.

Besides swordplay and martial arts, students also use their sublime knowledge of the world to enact big and small miracles in their reality. Many students and Masters of the Way specialize in Divination in order to arm themselves with as much intelligence and knowledge as possible on future crisis to better serve the people, other branches of such sidereal magic involves the curative and destructive arts that are just as deadly as their swords and fists.

Yet an inquisitive spark in her spirit spurs her to constantly seek knowledge beyond what can be read in the massive dimensional libraries of the order, and her constant barrage of questions to her seniors and masters provide delight and thoughtful discussions for all. While exhausting existing stores of knowledge is not possible for Ziya, her masters understood that an inquisitive soul will not grow in an insular environment.

Using their divination techniques, they consulted the stars through their occult practices on Ziya's soul path and confirmed their intuition on her great potential destiny and its possible impact in worlds beyond her own. Confident that they had provided Ziya with all the basic and necessary education that will serve her well, they charged her with a mission to venture outside this little paradise and seek greater wisdom and knowledge in the outside realms and to never return until she has discovered her own destiny and fulfilled it, which she may return back to them as a fellow Master, a pupil no longer.

However, before she is allowed to leave Ziya must graduate from her position as apprentice to an adept. In order to do so, she has to enter a meditative retreat in one of the meditation chambers for 49 days. During this time, she will place herself in a deep meditative state and contemplate on the enormity of her undertaking, responsibilities and opportunities. She must steel herself mentally and lighten herself for the journey ahead. In addition, as all adepts have their personal weapons, she must use the cumulation of her spiritual power to reforge the apprentice blades given to every beginner student into a personal weapon.

While in this meditative retreat, Ziya's own Divination abilities manifest in a form of an extended vision. She observes herself walking down a corridor of time, in a gallery of memories of that is to come and what might very well be. She finds herself traveling to new afterlives, meeting new people, having adventures and peaceful times, learning and unlearning and being part of a big story of untold impact. She looks at herself, with her comrades and friends embroiled in conflicts large and small and the cumulation of a massive incident that threatens the myriad worlds including her own, that her actions born from how she learns and grows from all these experiences will form a pivot point where anything could happen. She finds herself handling a multi-colored scroll, at the peak of a great mountain, with a great mass of souls from all walks of life and worlds and declaring something she could not hear. In response to that proclaimation, each individual soul in that great teeming mass glows with divine colors and soar up into the sky.

Opening her eyes, she finds her apprentice sword reforged into an elegant straight blade where letterings of a language she could not fathom inscribed onto the blade glows with multi-colored light. In a split-second it turns into a scroll she had recognized to be from her visions and she realizes a small part of her destiny. Bidding her Masters farewell, Ziya leaves the Heaven of Jade Purity.

Spirit Weapon - Feng Shen Yen Yi - Investiture of the Gods (name unknown to Ziya)
    Spoiler
    Show

Despite being able to create a spirit weapon, a milestone that results in the crystallization of one's spiritual knowledge and power into a vessal. A transformation so powerful that it overrides the vessal's shape and form into something entirely different, supplementing any necessary addition of material with pure crystallized spiritual energy. Ziya's destiny was never meant to be a powerful warrior.

Hence like a courtier's blade, more decorative than a practical soldier's weapon, while still very effective in its purpose as a weapon, is never a true source of Ziya's power. In its basic sword form, it is lighter, swifter and sharper in Ziya's hands, and coupled with her own exceptional Divination abilities, holds her in good stead in a fight, but confers no additional abilities beyond supernatural toughness of the blade and sharpness of its edge.

Bleach Mechanics: Investiture of the Gods is a full-time release spiritual weapon that contains its default sword form as one of its two released forms. In the sword form, it performs as a typical spiritual weapon with toughness and cutting power of a released weapon.

Scroll Form (basic)
    Its true ability manifests in its spiritually-evolved form which is a scroll with two hard spines. However instead of unrolling parchment, the two spines when pulled apart will form between them a length of spritually-manifested paper, made from Ziya's own spiritual energy.

Power: In this form, the scrolls can contain information of any type functioning as a portable library. The energy swirling between the scroll spines can reproduce any color or image that Ziya intends to store within.

Furthermore, the scroll contains a complete Divination chart which Ziya may use for astrological purposes or to cast her magic spells. Unlike fellow adepts who require extensive chants and incantations and talismans to produce their desired effects on reality. Ziya may use the scroll as an enhancing focus to reproduce the results in a matter of seconds or minutes or longer depending on the scale, type and scope of effect she wishes to produce.

Furthermore, due to the rather large size of the scroll spines (roughly the length of escrima sticks), Ziya may also dismiss the mystical 'paper' between the spines and simply use them as fighting sticks, which have a great impact force than sticks of its size and weight.

True Form - The Creation of Gods (Bankai)

Investiture of the Gods in its true form is an item suitable for immortal myths and legends. It is an item whose sheer power alters reality provided the wielder has the power, knowledge and wisdom to unlock and direct its power.

As its name suggest, the wielder of this spiritual artifact may awaken the spiritual spark of any mortal or peaceful dead with his own mote of spiritual energy. The mote of power used is very small and would never be sufficient to fuel any spiritual abilities. Its true purpose is to serve as a catalyst, along with a strict regime of meditation, training and practice to awaken the host's own spark of power.

For individuals of great skill, renown or a destiny of greatness, the divine forces that permeates reality enhance that mote of energy, and in many cases, skips the need for a strict training regime and opts to ignite the host's latent spiritual power immediately.

For mortals or peaceful dead with already awakened spiritual powers, Creation of the Gods gives further empowerment to them, essentially providing a sufficient boost in power to reach the next arbitrary level of spiritual development temporarily. This gives the individual an actual feel of how one should spiritually develop, a very helpful self-examination of one's spiritual growth in the long term.

The wielder of Creation of the Gods however has no benefit from this artifact's power at this level of release at all.

Powers and Abilities
    Spoiler
    Show
    Zanjutsu: Ziya's swordplay while graceful and deadly is developed through strict drills and ritualized sparring sessions with fellow peers and only utilized with deadly intent against monsters and hungry ghosts, therefore against living opponents with more wits, cunning, intelligence and fighting experience than such beastly opponents, Ziya
    suffers for her relative inexperience. Furthermore, because of the conditions of her training, her movements to the eyes of experts may seem routine and rigid and any attempts of flexibility has a potential of backfiring on her.

Hakuda: Ziya's unarmed combat skills have the same strengths and weaknesses as her swordplay, however Ziya has greater expertise in takedowns, grapples, throws, redirects and blocks which do not suffer from her inexperience.

Hoho: Ziya is not very capable of bursts of instant movement, instead relying on a very consistent expenditure of spiritual power to give an overall boost in agility, dexterity and reflexes. She is capable of running on blades of grass and water without disturbing the vegetation or cause more than light ripples on the surface of the water. She can also ascend walls with light kick-jumps very quickly.

Kidou: Ziya's true talent lies in her understanding of the divine forces that permeate reality and manipulate it:

Five Elements Magic (adept) - Magic that revolves around the theme of Metal, Wood, Water, Fire and Earth. She is able to create the effects that bind, block and strike with any of the five elements. There is no real difference in the element used, except that Ziya must always use the element in the above named order.

Eight Trigrams Divination (expert) - Magic that realizes the heavenly and earthly branches that anchor cosmic and mundane concepts. Ziya is able to divine the weather, present location, ill and auspicious omens and make quick and simple fortunetelling effects on people she meets. Furthermore, Ziya has the gift of visions which triggers not on her own volition, allowing her to catch a glimpse of a major event in a person's life that might come to be. A smaller and limited form of precognition aids her in combat, letting her have a subtle feel of the enemy's position and strikes. However knowing without being able to react quick enough renders this ability pointless against swifter opponents.
    Last edited by Nicklance; 2012-01-30 at 06:38 AM.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

Few points of inquiry: is Heaven of Jade Purity is meant to be a dimension of its own, or a place that's just beyond the 80th ring of Rukongai? Either way, how long has she been in Rukongai, and how much does he now of the local state of affairs? Did / does Heaven of Jade Purity know of the Spirit King and acknowledge him as ruler of afterlife? If not, what is their opinion of him?

Also, does the term "Underworld" in her backstory refer to human world?

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Few points of inquiry: is Heaven of Jade Purity is meant to be a dimension of its own, or a place that's just beyond the 80th ring of Rukongai? Either way, how long has she been in Rukongai, and how much does he now of the local state of affairs? Did / does Heaven of Jade Purity know of the Spirit King and acknowledge him as ruler of afterlife? If not, what is their opinion of him?

Also, does the term "Underworld" in her backstory refer to human world?
    Heaven of Jade Purity can be its own dimension, or a distant location far far beyond the 80th ring of Rukongai, which ever is cosmologically-convinient for this setting.

She has just arrived in Rukongai for 3 days, and she knows little beyond the name of this place.

The Heaven of Jade Purity is aware of the Spirit King, but whether they acknowledge him as the ruler of all afterlife is unknown. Given that the Spirit King now sealed himself away and the Heaven of Jade Purity has no visitors (its population solely comes from whoever died and ended up there), it can be a mystery.

The Underworld is a term for Hueco Mundo. Different names for essentially the same place.
    [Space for Hire...NOT!]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Nicklance View Post
    Heaven of Jade Purity can be its own dimension, or a distant location far far beyond the 80th ring of Rukongai, which ever is cosmologically-convinient for this setting.
    The latter option is more convenient, as it keeps the cosmology from being bloated with too many new dimensions. Functionally, the difference is slight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Since I'm going to be kido heavy with terrible sword attacks I got a few:

Spoiler
    Show
    Hado Spells:

Tenran

Blue Fire

Red Fire

Bakudo Spells:

Horin

Rikujokoro

Shibireyubi

Seki

Misc Spells:

Spirit Ribbons

And some minor healing spells

These okay?
    Last edited by IrnBruAddict; 2012-01-29 at 07:24 PM.
    "The advantage of fighting your clone is you know EXACTLY what will make him feel guilty. That's also how Catholicism beats up so many ninjas." - Christopher Hastings, Dr McNinja