Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default A Build around Magic Missle

Magic Missle. The worst attack spell in the books. How do we make a build to maximise the power of it to stupid levels? Help Wanted. NOT FOR MY MUNCKINING!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Flumph

Default Re: A Build around Magic Missle

There are far worse spells than magic missile- it's no save, no attack roll force damage (even if it is stopped by a 1st level spell) that can be metamagicked to ridiculous level with the right build.

There's a build alreayd out there that does this. I'll search for it.

EDIT: 8 pages of magic missile silliness. Enjoy.http://brilliantgameologists.com/boa...p?topic=7802.0
    Last edited by Studoku; 2012-01-27 at 03:57 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Reserves of strength, war mage, argent savant, force missile mage, fell drain (thesis and practical matamag), polymorph into a spellweaver.

Be immune to stun (wakeful mind graft)

Uncap CL by 1 at 20
    CL 21, 12 missiles doing 1d4+5 each, and you can fire 6 of them, each missile inflicts a negative level

...and the above posted something infinitely better while I was on the phone. Can't even claim ninja on it.
    Last edited by DoctorGlock; 2012-01-27 at 04:23 PM.
    I work very irregular hours and usually very long ones at that. If I do not respond to something in a timely manner pester me in an OOC thread. If something big is happening in the Middle East I will probably be busy for a few days because I am the idiot wearing kevlar and interviewing people on the fronts.

Do you like MTG? Do you like Gitp? We have a Discord server for like minded players.

Currently Running: Through the Faerie Ring

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

I thought fell drain would only apply 1 negative level, not a negative level per hit. I was under the impression that fell drain applied to the spell itself, not how many times it inflicts damage.

If that is correct, all the more reason for myself not to take the horribly broken feat. One negative level per spell is mean enough IMO.

Lan, Moiraine, Perrin, Rand, Mat, Egwene, Nynaeve, Thom

Awesome avatar and banner by Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Campbellk8105 View Post
    I thought fell drain would only apply 1 negative level, not a negative level per hit. I was under the impression that fell drain applied to the spell itself, not how many times it inflicts damage.

If that is correct, all the more reason for myself not to take the horribly broken feat. One negative level per spell is mean enough IMO.
    I am too lazy to read the feat, but it might apply a negative level to each critter you hit with the spell. This means you could poke 6 people with a d4+1 and a negative level.

As previously mentioned, there is some love specifically for magic missile in PrCs and you can pull standard metamagic shenanigans with it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Fell Drain is 1 negative level per creature per spell, so as long as each magic missile targets a different creature you're fine. Multiple missiles on the same target won't do extra negative levels, but multiple targets for the same fell drain spell does 1 negative level to each hit.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

If you wanna be away from the extreme opness in that thread from Stu42, I think just using Arcane Thesis + Twin Spell + Maximize Spell + Knowledge Devotion is enough to get it going. Would be like... average 92 damage/round, or 185 if you quicken the first. But I think 92 damage without any tests (except for SR, but it's so easy go get past that) is already too strong for a 11th level char.
    Last edited by Dazed&Confused; 2012-01-27 at 08:11 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Titan in the Playground

Toppling Spell from PF is a +1 level meta that cause your force spells to trip using your caster level + relevant stat mod when the spell deals damage. Completely awesome if you need some control.
    Avatar of Rudisplork Avatar of PC-dom and Slayer of the Internet. Extended sig
    GitP Regulars as: Vestiges Spells Weapons Races Deities Feats Soulmelds/Veils
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowbluff View Post
    All gaming systems should be terribly flawed and exploitable if you want everyone to be happy with them. This allows for a wide variety of power levels for games for different levels of players.
    I dub this the Snowbluff Axiom.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

there is a force missile mage prestige class that makes the magic missiles pretty mean. Argent savant also boosts force effects. Through in metamagic reduction and spell mastery, you can throw out hundreds of unavoidable damage with heavily metamagiced missiles. Yes, they even penetrate anti-magic missile defenses.you fall flat against force dragons, but that is a pretty small weakness.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

First line in the full description of Fell Drain:
    You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level.

Binks is 100% on the money.
    Just in case, in any game I've applied to without being selected: DMs are more than welcome to use my submission as an NPC as they wish!

Huge thanks to Howl for puting some Boomstick in my avatar

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Medic! View Post
    First line in the full description of Fell Drain:
    You can alter a spell that deals damage to foes so that any living creature that is dealt damage also gains a negative level.

Binks is 100% on the money.
    See thats exactly how I interpreted it as. Multiple targets get one negative level

Lan, Moiraine, Perrin, Rand, Mat, Egwene, Nynaeve, Thom

Awesome avatar and banner by Ceika.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

so build around repeat and twin, combine with fell drain, and you can inflict several negative levels on half the battlefield. And since magic missile is a 1st level spell, you have lots of room for metamagic.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystify View Post
    so build around repeat and twin, combine with fell drain, and you can inflict several negative levels on half the battlefield. And since magic missile is a 1st level spell, you have lots of room for metamagic.
    You can make it an Ocular Spell to turn it into a ray and then Split Ray as well. Also Echo Spell if you want to hurt your brain in figuring out how to get it going further on top of Repeat.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    You can make it an Ocular Spell to turn it into a ray and then Split Ray as well. Also Echo Spell if you want to hurt your brain in figuring out how to get it going further on top of Repeat.
    I've never seen ocular or echo spell, which book(s) are they in?
    But occular spell isn't going to be good. 2 cases:
    1. each magic missile is now a ray
    so you have now added on the ability for it to miss, or hit ray defelection, or any other thing that might stop a ray, and adding on split ray, for a +3 metamagic between them(assuming occular is a +1), and split ray only adds a single ray. With force missile mage, you will be throwing out 7 attacks anyways, increasing it to 8 is not worth that much. Esp. since the goal is to hit them with the fell drain as many times, and an extra ray only allows you to select an additonal target. Twin doubles it, since you are doing 2 spells at once, an repeat doubles that yet again to 4 levels. If echo does that again, it would be worthwhile.
    If you do want to increase coverage, you are better off with chain spell. For that same +3, you get your caster level in additional targets, allowing for total coverage of all but the most extreme battles.

2. It does 1 ray
    which would completely defeat the point.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Binks View Post
    Fell Drain is 1 negative level per creature per spell, so as long as each magic missile targets a different creature you're fine. Multiple missiles on the same target won't do extra negative levels, but multiple targets for the same fell drain spell does 1 negative level to each hit.
    Widened fell drain fireball...

Welp, the wightopocalspe has to happen somehow.
    Last edited by Doorhandle; 2012-01-28 at 07:43 PM.
    Can't write. Can't plan. Can draw a little.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craft (Cheese) View Post
    "In his free time, he gates in Balors just so he can kill and eat them later!"

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mystify View Post
    I've never seen ocular or echo spell, which book(s) are they in?
    But occular spell isn't going to be good. 2 cases:
    1. each magic missile is now a ray
    so you have now added on the ability for it to miss, or hit ray defelection, or any other thing that might stop a ray, and adding on split ray, for a +3 metamagic between them(assuming occular is a +1), and split ray only adds a single ray. With force missile mage, you will be throwing out 7 attacks anyways, increasing it to 8 is not worth that much. Esp. since the goal is to hit them with the fell drain as many times, and an extra ray only allows you to select an additonal target. Twin doubles it, since you are doing 2 spells at once, an repeat doubles that yet again to 4 levels. If echo does that again, it would be worthwhile.
    If you do want to increase coverage, you are better off with chain spell. For that same +3, you get your caster level in additional targets, allowing for total coverage of all but the most extreme battles.

2. It does 1 ray
    which would completely defeat the point.
    Ocular is from Lords of Madness, Echoing Spell is from Secrets of Xen'drik. Ocular lets you store spells in your eyes and then unleash them as rays, turning all targets into a ray. You can store one Ocular Spell in each eye and cast them both later as a full round action, so our Force Missile Mage would be letting off 14 Magic Rays on his turn. Split Ray just tags an extra ray on, so yeah, I agree it's not that great for our purposes. Ocular is +2 SL. Arcane Thesis(Magic Missile) will make it just a +1.

Echoing Spell does different that what I remember it doing, so I won't go into any detail on that. A better solution I thought of now is Reserves of Strength (Dragonlance Setting), which both ups your CL by 1-3 and removes the upper limit on spells, so our Magic Missile would keep gaining missiles. Combined with Ocular, we get around the drawback that you get dazed/stunned for the same number of rounds you increased your CL. So now when you Ocular, your Force Missile Mage at 20th will be throwing out 14 Magic Missiles per eye, so 28 with 2 Oculars, 56 with Twinned Oculars and then another 56 on the Repeat cast. Can you say Macross Missile Massacre?

Quote Originally Posted by Doorhandle View Post
    Widened fell drain fireball...

Welp, the wightopocalspe has to happen somehow.
    You're thinking too small. Not with familiar with the Locate City Bomb, are you? How about we hit everything within miles of your location with a negative level?
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!