A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Dragon Hide Armor

Hey everyone, I'm working on possibilities for a campaign and I was curious. What houserules do people here use for dragon-hide armor? Spell Resistance, energy resistance based on the dragon's type, 1/day abilities, 3/day abilities? Something new?

For myself, I'm definitely looking for something flavorful. It doesn't need to be powerful, just interesting. I'm also hoping for something that would also work for the epic dragons, Force, Prismatic, and Time.

Thoughts?
    Attacking the darkness since 2009.

List of Unearthed Arcana, Sage Advice, etc.
    Spoiler: Quotes I like
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by icefractal regarding What would a Cat Lord want? View Post
    She wants the renegade Red Dot brought to her court in chains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers regarding a description of Stygia View Post
    Yes, I believe you have won GitP for the day.
    Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz regarding randomly rolling edgelord backstories View Post
    Huh...Apparently I'm Agony Blood Blood, Half-orc Shadow Sorcerer. I killed a Dragons. I'm Chaotic Good, probably racist.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Dragon Hide Armor

Quote Originally Posted by pwykersotz View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm working on possibilities for a campaign and I was curious. What houserules do people here use for dragon-hide armor? Spell Resistance, energy resistance based on the dragon's type, 1/day abilities, 3/day abilities? Something new?

For myself, I'm definitely looking for something flavorful. It doesn't need to be powerful, just interesting. I'm also hoping for something that would also work for the epic dragons, Force, Prismatic, and Time.

Thoughts?
    Dragonrider Armor from the Magic Item Compendium page 17 already does this. This gives you a suit of +1 dragonhide full plate armor with resistance 10 against the form of energy associated with the breath weapon of the dragon; you gain a +5 competence bonus to Ride checks made while riding any creature of the dragon type; and last of all you gain a feather fall effect if you fall more than 5 feet while wearing it.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2012-02-01 at 08:17 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

We've always used 2 houserules for dragon material gear.

dragon armor gave cover against the energy type of the associated breath weapon (+4 ac, +2 reflex saves), while dragon weapons dealt 1 point of energy damage (1d4 against vulnerable creatures). more powerful than a regular masterwork item, but less powerful than a +1 enhancement bonus should be the general rule for dragon material items, as their cost reflects.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

Where did you start yours?

The PCs were already a special forces type unit in a kingdom's military, so the campaign started in the general's office.

Extended Homebrew Signature

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

The price for dragonhide plate in the DMG assumes you've provided the material component.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

I've never really got around to it, but I've been meaning to do something like, whatever the breath weapon was, that armor is easier to enchant with resistance of that type. So, if it was a black dragon, you could enchant the armor with acid resistance at 1/2 or 1/3 price.
    Spoiler: Ironcage Keep
    Show
    Initiative:

- Leo
    - Enemies
    - Frith (Light, 92 rounds), Obergrym (rage 5 rounds, 14/17 hp), Melrik - CURRENT
    - Enemies
    - Jade
    - Enemies