New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Step Classes (3.5)

Probably poorly made.
    But I was bored and I made it anyway so I might as well post it.

Stepping Classes. "Base" Classes made for the sole purpose of getting a PrC without all the clunky levels and temptations of a Base Class.

The Warrior

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
    +1
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |Bonus Feat,

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |Bonus Feat

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |Bonus Feat

4th|
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Bonus Feat

5th|
    +5
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |Bonus Feat, Explosive Skill
    [/table]

d10 HD

Class Skills

The Warriors’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).
    Skill Points at 1st Level

(2 + Int modifier) ×4.
    Skill Points at Each Additional Level

2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

Weapons and Armor proficiency:
    The Warrior is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all armors, and all shields except Tower shields.

Bonus Feats:
    The Warrior selects bonus feats from the Fighter Bonus Feats

Explosive Skill (Ex):
    The warrior qualifies for any PrC that relies on martial prowess, or classes similar in function as The Fighter. If the Warrior does not possess required special class features needed for such classes, she gains them after taking the first level of the Prestige Class as if she always had it (If progression went normally and levels of Warrior were levels in the class requiring that feature). Explosive Skill works only on one PrC.

The Thief

1st|
    +1
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +2
    |Bonus Feat

2nd|
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bonus Feat

3rd|
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +3
    |Bonus Feat

4th|
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    |Bonus Feat

5th|
    +5
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |
    +4
    | Bonus Feat, Explosive Insight.

[/table]

d8 HD

Class Skills

The Thief’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Appraise (Int), Balance (Dex), Bluff (Cha), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Disable Device (Int), Disguise (Cha), Escape Artist (Dex), Forgery (Int), Gather Information (Cha), Hide (Dex), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Knowledge (local) (Int), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Open Lock (Dex), Perform (Cha), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sense Motive (Wis), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Swim (Str), Tumble (Dex), Use Magic Device (Cha), and Use Rope (Dex).

(8 + Int modifier) ×4.

8 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

The Thief is proficient with all simple weapons, Medium and Light, and no shields.

Bonus Feats:
    The Thief selects bonus feats from the Fighter Bonus Feats.

Explosive Insight (Ex):
    The Thief qualifies for any PrC that relies on stealth or trickery prowess, or classes similar in function as The Rogue. If the Thief does not possess required special class features needed for such classes, she gains them after taking the first level of the Prestige Class as if she always had it (If progression went normally and levels of Warrior were levels in the class requiring that feature). Explosive Insight works only on one PrC.

The Caster

1st|
    +0
    |
    +2
    |
    +0
    |
    +2
    |Cantrips

2nd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +0
    |
    +3
    |Cantrips

3rd|
    +1
    |
    +3
    |
    +1
    |
    +3
    |Cantrips

4th|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Cantrips

5th|
    +2
    |
    +4
    |
    +1
    |
    +4
    |Cantrips, Explosive Understanding
    [/table]

d6 HD

Class Skills

The Caster’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

(2 + Int modifier) × 4.

2 + Int modifier.

Class Features:

The Caster is proficient with simple weapons, nor armor and no shields.

Cantrips (Sp):
    The Caster gains a number equal to twice her class levels at each Cantrips level in Orisons or Cantrips, and chooses one or the other everytime the Caster takes this ability They can only choose one spell list for Cantrips and one for Orisons. (2 at one, 4+2 at two, 6+4+2 at three, and so on).

Explosive Understanding (Ex):
    The Caster can qualify for any spellcasting PrC. The Caster automatically gains any class features needed for entry and spellcasting of the class needed to enter as if she was always that type of caster.
    The Caster can qualify as both Arcane and Divine for the purposes of the PrC if they have at least one Cantrip and one Orison.

All:

Step Classes only convert these five class levels to try to meet the PrC. If they would not meet requirements such as BAB or Spell level, or Caster Level even after the five levels of Step Class, they cannot enter that PrC by these means AT this time. They still gain Explosive X towards that PrC but they Must take that PrC as soon as possible.
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2012-02-01 at 12:11 AM.

My Homebrew

2. - Top - End - #2
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Step Classes (3.5)

Your classes are missing HD, class skills, and skill points.

I suggest 4+Int and fighter skill list plus d10 for the warrior, 6+Int and rogue skill list plus d8 for the thief, and 2+Int and the wizard skill list plus d4 for the caster.

Also, since cantrips are arcane spells, does that mean the Caster is an arcane-only version and you'll be posting a divine version soon?

Overall, it accomplishes its goal quite nicely. These classes are very simple, basic and customizable, allowing you easy entry into the Prestige class of your choice. Very nicely done, Cipher. I like them.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-01-29 at 10:53 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3

Fix 'd

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

You still don't have hit-dice.
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DracoDei View Post
    You still don't have hit-dice.
    She put them between her pictures and her tables.

6. - Top - End - #6

Very nice and simple idea, don't see much of any problem, but I would ask 3 things:
    1. What happens with those PrCs not designed for character level 6 entry, there aren't too many but there are a few.
    2. As it stands and reads just now, would I be correct in thinking you could use the caster to access theurge classes?
    3. Would you (just as an example) need to take the caster and the thief to level 5 for a Temple Raider of Olidamara? There are a few multiclass-dependant PrCs out there which don't quite fit the bill for this purpose.

Regardless of that, it's a cunning idea indeed, and makes fighters basically COMPLETELY redundant.....as if they weren't already!
    All I ask is a tall ship, and a star to steer her by.

My homebrews Moloques! Sagacious Defender of the Forge, The Open Palm, Sacred Scourge, The Bastion
    Co-Developer of the Mutant Powers Project:
    World Warper
    Telekineticist and ACFs, Feats, Shadow Hand PrC

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Veklim View Post
    Very nice and simple idea, don't see much of any problem, but I would ask 3 things:
    1. What happens with those PrCs not designed for character level 6 entry, there aren't too many but there are a few.
    2. As it stands and reads just now, would I be correct in thinking you could use the caster to access theurge classes?
    3. Would you (just as an example) need to take the caster and the thief to level 5 for a Temple Raider of Olidamara? There are a few multiclass-dependant PrCs out there which don't quite fit the bill for this purpose.

Regardless of that, it's a cunning idea indeed, and makes fighters basically COMPLETELY redundant.....as if they weren't already!
    1) Ah, then I'd say they'd need to fill out with some of one of the other Step classes and/or just take a different PrC until they qualify.

2) The Mysthic Theurge or whatevz? No, you'd need to take the Step class twice. It only qualifies as one type Arcane or Divine.
    I guess that isn't very clear. I'll edit that in.

3) Multiclass dependent PrC's would still rely on a multiclass between the step classes. This however would be somewhat disadvantageous, as it takes five levels of the step class to gain Explosive Skill/Insight/Understanding to qualify for most classes by by gaining their requirements.

My Homebrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    2) The Mysthic Theurge or whatevz? No, you'd need to take the Step class twice. It only qualifies as one type Arcane or Divine.
    I guess that isn't very clear. I'll edit that in.
    This puts the Mystic Theurge at a large disadvantage compared to other PrCs. With any other casting class, you'd qualify for it by 6th level with 5 levels of a step class. But to get into MT, you'd have to take 10 levels of the Caster step class, which is worse than the standard entry method. An exception for dual casters should be made.

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    This puts the Mystic Theurge at a large disadvantage compared to other PrCs. With any other casting class, you'd qualify for it by 6th level with 5 levels of a step class. But to get into MT, you'd have to take 10 levels of the Caster step class, which is worse than the standard entry method. An exception for dual casters should be made.
    Such would be impossible. Otherwise once Explosive Understanding hits they'd be overpowered when they gain two spell lists'n options at once...
    I'll fix something

My Homebrew

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Such would be impossible. Otherwise once Explosive Understanding hits they'd be overpowered when they gain two spell lists'n options at once...
    I'll fix something
    They would only be one level ahead of a standard MT, which most would agree is a reasonable-but-not-broken improvement. I can't help it if your Caster class puts other mages at a disadvantage by only allowing cantrips until 6th level or later. I just feel bad for the poor fool who tries to play a mage with this. The Warrior & the Thief are functional, AFAICS. The Caster? No, cantrips-only is crippling that late in the game.

11. - Top - End - #11

The Caster automatically gains all the casting progression and other required features to enter the PrC. Should I let them simply gain both progressions of a Cleric and Wizard/Sorcerer, they'd have ten levels worth of casting. (5 cleric/ 5 wiz-sor)
    Last edited by Cipher Stars; 2012-01-31 at 08:53 PM.

My Homebrew

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Should I let them simply gain both progressions of a Cleric and Wizard/Sorcerer, they'd have ten levels worth of casting. (5 cleric/ 5 wiz-sor)
    Yes, but a caster can only cast so many spells each round. That's one of the major limitations on the MT: they can't be a Cleric & a Wizard at the same time. They are always switching between being one & then the other & back. It's a fundamental limit imposed by the action economy. Also, a standard MT must take 2-3 levels of each class to qualify (barring early-entry shenanigans), entering the PrC at 7th level. If you make an allowance for the MT, then they could take this step-class & enter at 6th level, which is a minor improvement, but hardly game-breaking. They would still be a spell level behind their pure caster counterparts.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta Kai View Post
    Yes, but a caster can only cast so many spells each round. That's one of the major limitations on the MT: they can't be a Cleric & a Wizard at the same time. They are always switching between being one & then the other & back. It's a fundamental limit imposed by the action economy. Also, a standard MT must take 2-3 levels of each class to qualify (barring early-entry shenanigans), entering the PrC at 7th level. If you make an allowance for the MT, then they could take this step-class & enter at 6th level, which is a minor improvement, but hardly game-breaking. They would still be a spell level behind their pure caster counterparts.
    Fine, I'll edit that. If only because I can see people actually using my Step-Caster so they can take the MT or similar dual spell progression PrCs.

My Homebrew