Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 51 of 51 FirstFirst ... 264142434445464748495051
Results 1,501 to 1,507 of 1507
  1. - Top - End - #1501
    Banned

Griffon

Default Re: Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition - Thread #2

Quote Originally Posted by Kurald Galain View Post
    Nobody denies that things like this happen, nor that they bother people. However, they do not inevitably happen, nor do they bother everyone. Therein lies the exaggeration.
    (Raises hand for my gaming group)

Yo!

2. - Top - End - #1502
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    No, I'm not dismissing the fact that some people don't have problems with the imbalances of 3.x. However, I am highlighting a major problem within the system which can be seen through an analysis of the system. I'm trying to address a game-design problem (i.e. a part of the game that doesn't function like it is supposed to) not any particular game-play problem.
    It's not about "not having problems with the imbalances of 3.x." It's . . . never mind.

You know, I don't think I've ever asked you. Why do you care so desperately about the 3.5/4e edition wars? Everyone got into it at least a little, all those years ago. But you wrote more about it and talked longer about it and started more arguments about it than anyone else. I remember one period of a good few months where you put something Edition-War-related in literally every single post you wrote, no matter how unrelated the topic might have been.

Over the years, most of the Edition Warriors drifted away. They picked their system and stuck with it, or they learned to like both, or they decided they didn't like either, or they just got sick of arguing. They all drifted away, one by one . . . except you. You're still trying to convince 3.5 players of why they should be playing 4e instead, even though you have to know that virtually no-one cares anymore. Why do you still do it? I'm genuinely curious.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

3. - Top - End - #1503
    Ettin in the Playground

New Thread.

Also, Oracle, Ive havent been a long poster but you do seem anxious to shove your stance rather aggressively from what Ive seen.
    Last edited by Scowling Dragon; 2012-05-04 at 03:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fralex View Post
    A little condescending
    That pretty much sums up the Scowling Dragon experience.

4. - Top - End - #1504
    Dwarf in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    This becomes awkward with multiclassing.

It was already awkward in 2E ("My Fighter/Wizard/Cleric can wear armor to cast cleric spells, but not wizard spells, and has to use blunt weapons.") and 3E-style multiclassing will only make it worse. It will probably be better to follow the 4e route of leaving fluff decisions up to the DMs and keeping the rules as "mechanical" as possible.
    I like 2nd edition multiclassing more than leveling up and ordering your class level from a menu as found in later editions. The confusion of what class aspects are compatible could be allievated rather easily with a helpful matrix. Restrictions are part of class balance and multiclassing should have a bit of a challenge to it, because if it was easy, everyone would do it.

5. - Top - End - #1505
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MtlGuy View Post
    I like 2nd edition multiclassing more than leveling up and ordering your class level from a menu as found in later editions. The confusion of what class aspects are compatible could be allievated rather easily with a helpful matrix. Restrictions are part of class balance and multiclassing should have a bit of a challenge to it, because if it was easy, everyone would do it.
    I'm afraid the conversation has moved on...fourteen months and ten threads ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #1506
    Firbolg in the Playground

Yeah, but the discussion felt more productive back then. Less arguing, more helpful suggestions about Next. Can we just follow MtIguy's lead and return to it?
    You can call me Draz.
    Trophies:
    Spoiler
    Show

Also of note:

I have a number of ongoing projects that I manically jump between to spend my free time ... so don't be surprised when I post a lot about something for a few days, then burn out and abandon it.

7. - Top - End - #1507
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
    Yeah, but the discussion felt more productive back then. Less arguing, more helpful suggestions about Next. Can we just follow MtIguy's lead and return to it?
    You step into the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This thread does not live.
    Quote Originally Posted by Water_Bear View Post
    That's RAW for you; 100% Rules-Legal, 110% silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    "Common sense" and "RAW" are not exactly on speaking terms
    Projects: Homebrew, Gentlemen's Agreement, DMPCs, Forbidden Knowledge safety, and Top Ten Worst. Also, Quotes and RACSD are good.

Anyone knows blue is for sarcas'ing in "Take 10 SAN damage from Dark Orchid" Use of gray may indicate nitpicking Green is sincerity