Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    Twilight Sparkle in Heroquest: (Quick off the top of my head conversion. In reality, the keywords would be much more poetic)

Keyword: Princess' Student 15
    Dragon Assistant
    Arcane Lore
    Highest Society

Keyword: Ponyville Librarian 13
    Lecturing
    Bookworm +3
    Intelligentsia Individual

Keyword: Unicorn Pony 17
    "Stand Back, I'm Going To Try Magic" +2
    Grand Telekinisis
    Shipping Spells

Flaws:
    TARDY 13
    Antisocial 15
    Magical Mishaps 17

Looking at that character sheet should tell you a vast amount about how Heroquest 2 operates as a system (excellently)
    I've never actually played this, but it looks awesome. Might I suggest "want it, need it spell" in place of "shipping spells" though?
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Bugbear in the Playground

all this talks makes me wonder if BESM can be used to game ponies...
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

3. - Top - End - #1263
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    I've never actually played this, but it looks awesome. Might I suggest "want it, need it spell" in place of "shipping spells" though?
    It is awesome. It runs anything and runs it well. And yes, a well designed Heroquest character sheet reads like a piece of poetry.

I've seen abilities including but not limited to "Blossom Hides Thorns", "Brutally Honest", "Coin Has Two Sides", "Inciting Dissent", "Looks Like He's Meant To Be Here", "Thousand Scales Guard The Dragon's Stomach", "A Gentleman and a Scholar" and "Catastrophe Control".

"Coin Has Two Sides" was one of my character's abilities, under Twilight Necromancer. It was meant to refer to his balance between Sorcery and Necromancy, the good and evil kinds of magic. At one point in the game, I found a group of hired assassins and invoked Coin Has Two Sides to bribe them away from their original employer (augmented with Inciting Dissent). It's all about narrative flow.

It runs anything with no conversion and it's a permanent upgrade to a GM's capabilities. Less good than a system designed specifically around a central idea, like Mage, but applicable to everything. You can find the thing here.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2012-02-15 at 09:33 AM.

4. - Top - End - #1264

just the other day I saw this in Target

I am pretty sure that is knock off Blind bag pony imitations, and I find it hilarious.
    "Winning with friendship means winning at life!"
    -Mako Mankanshoku

5. - Top - End - #1265
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kairaven View Post
    just the other day I saw this in Target

I am pretty sure that is knock off Blind bag pony imitations, and I find it hilarious.
    Oh wow, this is hilarious.

The time has come for the most fantastic party! Every year Emperor Karus invites all his relatives from all the castles in the Filly Kingdom to a huge garden party. Here you can meet the entire royal family from the beautiful Princess Scarlet to the brave King Valdemar and the always dreaming Prince Valiant. The garden is lit with lamps in every colour and from sunset to sunrise all the Fillies dance under the stars in the warm summer air.
    I can't tell if this is awesome or sad or what.
    The Dude pony avatar by http://supermatt314.deviantart.com/

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    This is a little unfair. I know for a fact that Whitehawke started work on this animation before Season 2 began, and he had a good chuck of it done before Luna Eclipsed. It was probably too much to change at that point.

I'm doing a flash animation myself... Luna only appears for a bit and doesn't actually move but I'm still not changing her design. I started it back in May of last year and I should really press ahead rather than go back and change things. I'm only half way through :/ Of course I've kinda been on hiatus what with learning to draw with a tablet and all. I can get some pictures up later today if anyone is interested.
    Do it! All of the pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    *4e snip*
    Hmm, you make lots of good points, particularly about the unfortunate inheritance of the D&D title. Some of the problem may be that my primary experience with the game was clouded by, shall we say, interpersonal issues?

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    I sorta wanna do one now... but it'd have to be a written one with ficlets.
    I'm with Thanqol on this - my OC list is up for the asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayonet Priest View Post
    How well do you think Mutants and Masterminds would run pony? At a glance it seems better than DnD at least, much less hack and slashy. More non-lethal. The skill system is based on D20 so even if it is lacking it could probably be expanded.

Really, I just started looking at Mutants and Masterminds and now I've got it on the brain. Since ponies are always on the brain the two are starting to converge.
    Not entirely sure...it is less lethal, but also more superpower focused. Although ponies may be superpowered by ordinary standards, I'm not sure if every scenario you'd want to run would really have that dynamic. Still, I'm a M&M newbie myself, so it may be entirely possible to ponify it, though it strikes me as non-trivial at the moment.

Twilight Sparkle in Heroquest: (Quick off the top of my head conversion. In reality, the keywords would be much more poetic)

Keyword: Princess' Student 15
    Dragon Assistant
    Arcane Lore
    Highest Society

Keyword: Ponyville Librarian 13
    Lecturing
    Bookworm +3
    Intelligentsia Individual

Keyword: Unicorn Pony 17
    "Stand Back, I'm Going To Try Magic" +2
    Grand Telekinisis
    Shipping Spells

Flaws:
    TARDY 13
    Antisocial 15
    Magical Mishaps 17

Looking at that character sheet should tell you a vast amount about how Heroquest 2 operates as a system (excellently)
    It is awesome. It runs anything and runs it well. And yes, a well designed Heroquest character sheet reads like a piece of poetry.

I've seen abilities including but not limited to "Blossom Hides Thorns", "Brutally Honest", "Coin Has Two Sides", "Inciting Dissent", "Looks Like He's Meant To Be Here", "Thousand Scales Guard The Dragon's Stomach", "A Gentleman and a Scholar" and "Catastrophe Control".

"Coin Has Two Sides" was one of my character's abilities, under Twilight Necromancer. It was meant to refer to his balance between Sorcery and Necromancy, the good and evil kinds of magic. At one point in the game, I found a group of hired assassins and invoked Coin Has Two Sides to bribe them away from their original employer (augmented with Inciting Dissent). It's all about narrative flow.

It runs anything with no conversion and it's a permanent upgrade to a GM's capabilities. Less good than a system designed specifically around a central idea, like Mage, but applicable to everything. You can find the thing here.
    Stop making me want to buy rulebooks!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Part of me strongly insists that is not. Role-playing game.
    Said part is just jealous it never got a chance to play Heroquest.
    Considering it's what got me started; and started DMing, and than even now, I occasionally use it (year before last, I used it - with a properly written Bleakbane adventure, naturally - to corrupt my (much younger) cousins to the dark side), I would have to say it emphatically is. Provided you play it like an RPG, and not a board game.

Of course, I was and am talking about the original, proper HeroQuest
    Spoiler
    Show

Not this apparent latter-day sacreligous upstart that dares besmirch it's glorious name!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aotrs Commander View Post
    Of course, I was and am talking about the original, proper HeroQuest
    Spoiler
    Show

Not this apparent latter-day sacreligous upstart that dares besmirch it's glorious name!
    Well that explains so much. I was seriosuly confused as to why the boardgame was also apparently some fancy-schmancy RPG system.
    Truth resists simplicity.

9. - Top - End - #1269
    Titan in the Playground

I have a question for you all, a question that has been bugging me since I couldn't (and still can't) answer when it was asked to me.

Why do you like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? I can't really seem to find an answer for that question myself, I just like it,
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Ogre in the Playground

Short answer? It's quality writing that's enjoyable by everyone - not just kids.
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

11. - Top - End - #1271
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dusk Eclipse View Post
    Why do you like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic? I can't really seem to find an answer for that question myself, I just like it,
    While the show is fun that isn't enough for how much enjoyment I get out of it. Its the fandom that makes me enjoy the show so much. Your just all so Happy and Awesome.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

Why do I/we like the show?
    Spoiler
    Show

In before "We Watch it for the Plot".

13. - Top - End - #1273
    Ettin in the Playground

I have a question for you all, a question that has been bugging me since I couldn't (and still can't) answer when it was asked to me.

The show itself is good.

But the fandom? One of a kind. Truly, one of a kind.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Ogre in the Playground

It's interesting to think about. Like the others said, the fandom is (of course) the best I've ever been in. It really is friendly. As for the show itself, it has good writing, animation, acting, humor, action... it's a genuinely good show that appeals to people of all ages.

15. - Top - End - #1275

For me, the show is pretty awesome, but it's mostly the fandom that brings it all up. It's like 40% show and 60% fandom. We are just so unique and well spread. Our music is all great, we got some of the best fanart. Everyone is so friendly and nice. It's hard to explain, but yeah the fandom did it for me.

On a completely unrelated note, I wrote a fan fic last night while listening to an amazing pony song. Insomnia is fun, right? Feel free to read and comment.

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Short answer? It's quality writing that's enjoyable by everyone - not just kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    While the show is fun that isn't enough for how much enjoyment I get out of it. Its the fandom that makes me enjoy the show so much. Your just all so Happy and Awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

I love that image, it goes right to my MLP Folder (AKA Bukken saved)

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    The show itself is good.

But the fandom? One of a kind. Truly, one of a kind.
    I have to admit that I have never been truly involved in the fandom at large, true I browse "My little Brony" and sites like that from time to time, and I sometimes pop in here lurk a bit; but I can't say I really follow the fandom at large.

So if you could elaborate a bit more on the fandom I would really appreciate it.
    Just call me Dusk

Dming: Eyes of the Lich Queen IC OOC

17. - Top - End - #1277
    Ogre in the Playground

6'2". Why?[/completely missing the point]
    I'm guessing you haven't watched Invader Zim? Zim's sent out into a random part of space (which happens to end up being where Earth is) to get him out of the way of the main army. The Allmighty Tallest occasionally use him for laughs.

One part everything about the show is awesome, one part the fandom is awesome, one part for some odd reason pony drives me to create.

I have to admit that I have never been truly involved in the fandom at large, true I browse "My little Brony" and sites like that from time to time, and I sometimes pop in here lurk a bit; but I can't say I really follow the fandom at large.

So if you could elaborate a bit more on the fandom I would really appreciate it.
    This fandom is talented. They're spitting out some incredibly amazing work at a ridiculous rate and there are no signs of it slowing down. And this talent stretches across just about every possible creative medium there is, from music to writing to the creation of entire MMOs. That and a massive chunk of the fandom is just extremely friendly. It's an environment that encourages creativity, which is probably why we end up with so much awesome stuff.

So I was hanging out at the pub last night with some friends and got bored. I had forgotten my little painting notepad at home, but found some clear card sleeves in my bag. There was only one thing to do with them.
    Spoiler
    Show

Pony ALL the school!

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

Derby, UK and Bleak Despair battlestation. Species: Spirit-Bound Skeletal Lich (Lawful Evil)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyouhen View Post
    I'm guessing you haven't watched Invader Zim? Zim's sent out into a random part of space (which happens to end up being where Earth is) to get him out of the way of the main army. The Allmighty Tallest occasionally use him for laughs.
    *sigh*

6'2". Why?[/completely missing the point]
    Deliberately. I mean, really, think you me that uncultured...?

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Troll in the Playground

Oh that was very tricky. Especially in light of Big Mac's recent shopping spree, Bonbon must be very miffed at getting only one earring.
    Glad you like it. But that brings up a good point: In Equestria you can find fist hoof-sized, pre-cut jewels lying no less than 3 inches underground. How much is a tiny ring like that really gonna cost?

Lyra is such a cheapskate!

Unless maybe gold is really valuable in Equestria?

Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    Do it! All of the pictures!
    Oh wow, I seriously thought no one would ask! Was gonna post them anyway, of course

So here's how it started. This is the 2nd opening to an anime called Soul Eater. I've only seen one episode, and didn't particularily like it, but I like the OP.

You'll notice that the animation is actually quite simple for the most part. Most of it is simple head tilts and turns as the characters are introduced. Very easy to parody. Which someone did, with Smash Eater, using characters from Super Smash Brothers. I saw this and loved it, but the whole time I was thinking to myself "Wouldn't it be better with ponies?"

The answer was yes. Yes it would. "I wish someone would make it." I thought. "Wait a minute! I'm someone! Maybe I could do it!"

And so I resovled to teach myself to draw ponies and animate in Flash simultaneously. Yeah, I don't do things the easy way. Jump in the deep end first, that's me.

So, here are the screenshots. I've left the video in the background for some of them so that it's a little more obvious which parts they are from. Also I don't have backgrounds for those parts _
    Spoiler
    Show

Celestia, please give me strength to finish this thing!

Hard to say. I started watching partially because the idea of a My Little Pony cartoon that was actually watchable by anyone other than 5 year old girls intrigued me, partially because I'd seen a couple of short clips and really liked the art and animation style.

When I looked up MLP for the first time, I discovered a PMV which set the first two episodes to music. I saw ponies in a dark forest fighting a manticore and decided that it looked awesome. I also thought that Dash was male at the time (I'm sorry okay! I never heard her voice and I saw that bit where she's trying to scare the others just before the cliff collapses and it just looked like something a guy would do) and honestly the idea of a male pony main character was a plus at the time.

I was drawn into the first episode by the story. There was a villain who had a motive beyond "she's evil and does evil things, yo". I liked that the leader of the group wasn't the bravest, or the strongest, but the smart, anti-social one. I liked the fact that ponyville looked like a normal village and not candy-land.

Now, I like the characters and the way they interact. I like the positive and upbeat tone. I like the comedy and the simple but still well done plotlines.*

But the main reason that this is more than just a regular cartoon to me is probably the community. Such amazing things have occurred because of it. I've never been this involved in a fandom before, so I can't say how it compares to others, but the creativity never ceases to astound me. We have characters who appeared on screen for mere seconds who have more personality than some main characters in other shows, thanks to fanart and fanfics. And as others have said, pony fans tend to be friendly, welcoming, and encouraging.

*Yeah, yeah, I know.
    Used to be Diego Havoc
    Spoiler: About Me
    Show
    Diego Havoc, one of the hoopier froods I've met, up there with DeLancie.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

*pops into thread after several weeks of absence*
    *leaves new episode details*

Spoiler
    Show
    Title: It's About Time
    Air Date: March 10, 2012
    Summary: Twilight receives a warning from her future self and drives herself crazy with worry.

*runs around screaming with joy*
    Last edited by Nameless; 2012-02-15 at 01:47 PM.

21. - Top - End - #1281
    Troll in the Playground

The show is entertaining enough in it's own right, but I mostly stick around for all the amusing images that crop up and the various associated memes. Case in point:

Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

So very saved.

Also pony music. Pony music is great.
    Truth resists simplicity.

22. - Top - End - #1282
    Titan in the Playground

Re: Diamonds Vs Gold.
    A Diamond, when you find it, is pretty much a diamond. Gold however is an ore, and must be refined/smelted/whatever.
    So yeah, I figure in Equestria gems are relatively cheap compared to the metal they are often set in. It makes sense to me.

23. - Top - End - #1283

So one of my favorite up and coming artist/cartoonist/internet person left this absolutely lovely analysis on the elements of harmony, and how they relate to the Mane Six. Good read! Helps to resolve the RD/AJ problem, in my book.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    For me, the show is pretty awesome, but it's mostly the fandom that brings it all up. It's like 30% show and 50% fandom 20% cooler.
    Had to fix that for you as per the Law of Pony Percentages.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show

Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Ogre in the Playground

Deliberately. I mean, really, think you me that uncultured...?
    If I say no can I have my closet back?

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    So one of my favorite up and coming artist/cartoonist/internet person left this absolutely lovely analysis on the elements of harmony, and how they relate to the Mane Six. Good read! Helps to resolve the RD/AJ problem, in my book.
    Second'd. I always considered the Elements as a sort of potential, virtues the mane six try to live up to, and this analysis says it perfectly.
    I'm developing a game. Let's see what happens! Complex.

27. - Top - End - #1287

Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Had to fix that for you as per the Law of Pony Percentages.
    Thank you.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

Okay. So.

Spoiler
    Show
    1 Shimmer
    2 (Pokonic)
    3 (Istari)
    4 (Kyouhen)
    5 Candles
    6 Midnight
    7 Faith
    8 Raz
    9 Jade
    10 Mask
    11 ? Sandy Shores
    12 ? Thistle
    Three works out the courage to ask out seven.
    One is having a romantic picnic with four. Eight is upset.
    How does ten react to getting sexy lingerie from five.
    Moonlit cruise. Two+Nine.
    Six wants to impress ten. How do they do it?
    How do four and one share their first kiss?
    Nine cooks a romantic dinner for seven.
    Two and three go to an amusement park! The tunnel of love is a must.
    In a fit of bravery, eight protects six from a bear!
    Who delivered five the flowers at the hospital? Four or nine?
    Two walks in on seven doing illicit things. How do they respond?
    The only way three can win ten back is by finishing first in a marathon!
    Well, one's idea of a hot date with six was a musical...
    Five and eight are about to lose their virginity!
    Nine and ten are under the mistletoe! How does it play out?
    Is one tech savvy enough to understand three's present?
    Eight and six planned a night of fun... with a safe word. Who's the dom?
    Two suspects five of being a stalker... and two is the victim.
    Four and seven better get married.
    Eleven gets two pregnant. What happens and how?
    Twelve gets into bed with five. What happens?
    Eleven is secretly in love with four. Who do they tell and what do they do?
    Twelve is too embarrassed to confess their love for ten in person, and uses the phone/a letter/something. What happens?
    Three forgets to invite twelve to their party. Why?
    Six has a huge secret to tell twelve.
    Twelve has been pining over seven for days. How does seven find out and react?
    Eleven dumps twelve. How does eight make them feel better?
    Eleven gets a job working for nine, and romance blossoms.
    One and eleven are in a long distance relationship. How does it work?

Now. I want Candles, Faith, Mask, Midnight, and maybe Jade. Who else wants in?

You are SO lucky my browser remembered this after my PC crashed.
    Last edited by Lix Lorn; 2012-02-15 at 05:33 PM.
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. So.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 Candles
    6 Midnight
    7 Faith
    9 Jade
    10 Mask

Raz calls being 8.

That way, 5 will come off as being the most awkward bro conversation in the history of ever.
    freedom in the flame

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

30. - Top - End - #1290
    Ettin in the Playground

Okay. So.

Spoiler
    Show
    5 Candles
    6 Midnight
    7 Faith
    9 Jade
    10 Mask

I'm clearly already in Thanqol's version, but I do want to say that any ponythread discussion of shipping that doesn't at least mention Shimmer in passing is the merest shadow of what it could be.