Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    [color="darkgreen"]In specific: there is no way I could ignore a simple entreaty like that. So don't download the book.

    Thanqol, is this the one?

    Spoiler
    Show

    No, the cover looks like this:

    Spoiler
    Show

    EDIT: in retrospect this looks more like a splat book, and I wasn't willing to invest the time to read it (as dehydration and hunger were setting in). Perhaps I shall give it some perusal before purchase.
    That is a splat book, but all the mechanics are in the core.

    ... Why? What could prompt you to be so unpersonable? I am curious as to what would be the cause.
    It's... like my perspective shifts overnight. Bad dreams contribute sometimes, and it's usually worse those days. But in general, the first thing to hit when I open my eyes is just how pointless everything is. A crushing cycle of contempt aimed at myself and everything I spend my time on; the thought that I'm not having an impact. The end result is this urge to withdraw into myself, build a shell and put on a mask.

    It doesn't last, and by midday I'm almost always back to my usual self. Oddly, I've got Mask to thank for that. I started pretending to be sociable even when I was feeling terrible and it stuck.

    That's another reason I find lies such a fascinating concept. I lied to myself and others until it changed who I was for the better. Now how does that work?
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  2. - Top - End - #1322
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Forum errors, please hold.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  3. - Top - End - #1323
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    About to embark on a mareathon 6+ panel askblog draw session.

    Wish me luck! Also focus! ^^;;

  4. - Top - End - #1324
    Troll in the Playground
     
    the_druid_droid's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    In a cornfield
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Diego Havoc View Post
    Oh wow, I seriously thought no one would ask! Was gonna post them anyway, of course

    So here's how it started. This is the 2nd opening to an anime called Soul Eater. I've only seen one episode, and didn't particularily like it, but I like the OP.

    You'll notice that the animation is actually quite simple for the most part. Most of it is simple head tilts and turns as the characters are introduced. Very easy to parody. Which someone did, with Smash Eater, using characters from Super Smash Brothers. I saw this and loved it, but the whole time I was thinking to myself "Wouldn't it be better with ponies?"

    The answer was yes. Yes it would. "I wish someone would make it." I thought. "Wait a minute! I'm someone! Maybe I could do it!"

    And so I resovled to teach myself to draw ponies and animate in Flash simultaneously. Yeah, I don't do things the easy way. Jump in the deep end first, that's me.

    So, here are the screenshots. I've left the video in the background for some of them so that it's a little more obvious which parts they are from. Also I don't have backgrounds for those parts _
    Spoiler
    Show





















    Celestia, please give me strength to finish this thing!
    Dude. Seriously. This looks awesome! Please finish it!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiki Snakes View Post
    Re: Diamonds Vs Gold.
    A Diamond, when you find it, is pretty much a diamond. Gold however is an ore, and must be refined/smelted/whatever.
    So yeah, I figure in Equestria gems are relatively cheap compared to the metal they are often set in. It makes sense to me.
    But precious gems, particularly diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc. tend to be very hard to cut, and it's in the cutting that they actually take on most of their value. Of course, in Equestria, they seem to naturally from with facets, but what's the fun if I don't ramble pointlessly?

    Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post
    Ah. I will probably ask about this in the future.
    Feel free, but it's not very interesting unless you're fond of Artiodactyla Camelidae Dramaticus

    Quote Originally Posted by TheAmishPirate View Post
    My character's somehow both involved in the one I think you're thinking of, and in a situation where Raz is apparently the one who is in charge of cheering me up. Why do I see harem pants well-thought out encouragement in his near future?
    Because you are capable of pattern recognition?

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    That's another reason I find lies such a fascinating concept. I lied to myself and others until it changed who I was for the better. Now how does that work?
    A part of me subscribes to Aristotle's idea that we become better (or worse) through what amounts to practice. Work at doing good things and having good thoughts long enough, and you will eventually become a good individual. The question then becomes how you define the good.

    Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Ido Nos View Post
    About to embark on a mareathon 6+ panel askblog draw session.

    Wish me luck! Also focus! ^^;;
    Luck! Focus! Muffins! I wish you all of these and more!
    This Machine Surrounds Hate And Forces It To Surrender

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    DD, your unicorn is stronger, prettier, and higher-ranking than mine, and her secret lab has a better name than mine. THERE SHALL BE NO QUARTER.
    Ponythread Learns to Draw!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Bleeeeh! Alfalfa Monster!


    Avatar by Aruius

  5. - Top - End - #1325
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by the_druid_droid View Post
    A part of me subscribes to Aristotle's idea that we become better (or worse) through what amounts to practice. Work at doing good things and having good thoughts long enough, and you will eventually become a good individual. The question then becomes how you define the good.
    Virtue Ethics are where it's at, yo.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  6. - Top - End - #1326
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Hm. Thank you Thanqol. That bit of advice has been applicable for approximately 7 minutes. Your timing - all of today - has been fondly serendipitous.

  7. - Top - End - #1327
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Istari's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    Just need personalities for Istari's avvie and Low-Key.
    Personality - Friendly, Polite, Nerdy, Optimistic, Rule follower, Curious, similar to Twilight with Rarity's outgoingness. Enjoys reading and writing. Has a romanticist sense of romance.

  8. - Top - End - #1328
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Forum Explorer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Canada
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's... like my perspective shifts overnight. Bad dreams contribute sometimes, and it's usually worse those days. But in general, the first thing to hit when I open my eyes is just how pointless everything is. A crushing cycle of contempt aimed at myself and everything I spend my time on; the thought that I'm not having an impact. The end result is this urge to withdraw into myself, build a shell and put on a mask.

    It doesn't last, and by midday I'm almost always back to my usual self. Oddly, I've got Mask to thank for that. I started pretending to be sociable even when I was feeling terrible and it stuck.

    That's another reason I find lies such a fascinating concept. I lied to myself and others until it changed who I was for the better. Now how does that work?
    It sucks to hear about the bad dreams. Do you mind telling us what kind of bad dreams they are?


    That's kinda what I do/did. If I believed in something or wanted to be some way I refused to accept any alternate and forced my self to fit into that mold. Likely very unhealthy mentally but *shrug* I'm happier this way.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

    I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

    Procrastination: MLP



    Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.



  9. - Top - End - #1329
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    Thanqol's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2009

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    It sucks to hear about the bad dreams. Do you mind telling us what kind of bad dreams they are?
    Last night? Invincible zombies. And it wasn't that the invincible zombies were scary, it's that I had a long and bitter argument with an imaginary GM who was presumably creating the zombies for running a stupid game. And arguments like that are never fun.

    That's kinda what I do/did. If I believed in something or wanted to be some way I refused to accept any alternate and forced my self to fit into that mold. Likely very unhealthy mentally but *shrug* I'm happier this way.
    I think it's very healthy mentally. I think being in control of your own mind is sanity by definition.
    If the sun won't rise on our horizon
    We'll march on to spite the skies.

  10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Attention fanfic writers! An important announcement from the Equestria Daily Pre-Readers.

    The TL;DR version is that the EqD pre-readers are not story editors, and as such are implementing a "three strikes" rule on resubmission of fanfics.

    This shouldn't really impact most ponyfic writers in Ponythread, as the majority already request reviews and feedback prior to submission to Equestria Daily anyway; but if you are planning to submit a fic to EqD, I suggest that you please let Ponythread know that and that you specifically want critiquing prior to submission. Also, alert Ponythread if the fanfic has already sent back for revision and what the pre-reader's concerns were.

  11. - Top - End - #1331
    Troll in the Playground
     
    gooddragon1's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    In the playground

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Wow, ponies are actually really tough it seems.
    They can take flames and can kill people...
    There is no emotion more useless in life than hate.

  12. - Top - End - #1332
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    I need pre-readers for my fan fic, it seems. I sent it through one of those auto grammar and spell checkers and it came up with many passive sentences where they were unneeded, and hidden verbs? I don't exactly know what those things mean but I guess they're important.

  13. - Top - End - #1333
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Where?
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Okay, didn't get finished with all the drawings for tonight, so this'll get finished for tomorrow. It was a bit of a stretch, six+ drawings in 3 hours, with the "sick" difficulty modifier on. Thanks for the wishes and muffins all the same!. In the meantime, here's what I've gotten done so far, and Ima go to bed now and try and sleep off whatever this is, again -_-;;

    Spoiler
    Show

    Numba 4 I'm not solid on, so it might get changed around anyway.


    By the way, I really can't thank everypony enough for the support yall give me on these things. It has really done wonders not only for my drawing skills and abilities themselves, as rudimentary as they still are, but also my general willingness and hesitation in showing others the things I do draw. You're all an inspiration, and I hope one day to be able to provide that to someone else.
    Last edited by Capt. Ido Nos; 2012-02-15 at 11:36 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #1334
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Eakin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Attention fanfic writers! An important announcement from the Equestria Daily Pre-Readers.

    The TL;DR version is that the EqD pre-readers are not story editors, and as such are implementing a "three strikes" rule on resubmission of fanfics.

    This shouldn't really impact most ponyfic writers in Ponythread, as the majority already request reviews and feedback prior to submission to Equestria Daily anyway; but if you are planning to submit a fic to EqD, I suggest that you please let Ponythread know that and that you specifically want critiquing prior to submission. Also, alert Ponythread if the fanfic has already sent back for revision and what the pre-reader's concerns were.
    Damn straight, authors who think their stories are good enough for EQD should put them up here first so that I get to read them before anyone else we can offer helpful tips and criticism

    Quote Originally Posted by maximus25 View Post
    I need pre-readers for my fan fic, it seems. I sent it through one of those auto grammar and spell checkers and it came up with many passive sentences where they were unneeded, and hidden verbs? I don't exactly know what those things mean but I guess they're important.
    I'll read it. And for future reference, a passive sentence is one where the subject is referred to indirectly after the verb. For example:

    Passive: The story was written by the author
    Active: An author wrote the story

    A hidden verb is when you turn a verb into a noun to "hide" its presence in a sentence. If you use the most direct form of the verb you can this won't be a problem. Another example:

    Hidden: Thanks to the explanation, the writer gained an understanding of hidden verbs
    Uncovered: Thanks to the explanation, the writer understood hidden verbs

    If those two things come back at you as major problems, you probably need to try to write more directly and cut out the "fluff" words that don't contribute anything.

    If you send me the link to your story in the next 20 minutes or so I'll start it tonight, otherwise I'll have to get to it tomorrow
    Last edited by Eakin; 2012-02-15 at 11:45 PM.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

    Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

  15. - Top - End - #1335
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Thinking back from English 101/102, the best way to avoid passive verbs is to avoid any form of the verb 'is'.

    It's rather difficult, as I have shown twice.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show


    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

    Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

  16. - Top - End - #1336
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Eakin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Thinking back from English 101/102, the best way to avoid passive verbs is to avoid any form of the verb 'is'.

    It's rather difficult, as I have shown twice.
    There's nothing wrong with using the verb "to be," and in most stories you'll probably use it a lot. But if it appears right next to another verb it's probably unnecessary.

    Like in the first sentence of this post, I originally wrote "probably be using it a lot" before I noticed the hypocrisy and changed it. It's a sneaky one, that way
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

    Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

  17. - Top - End - #1337
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    PhantomFox's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Maryland
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Thinking back from English 101/102, the best way to avoid passive verbs is to avoid any form of the verb 'is'.

    It's rather difficult, as I have shown twice.
    I had the whole list of passive verbs drilled into my head at High School. My Freshman course, we were allowed only 3 per paper. "Am, Is, Was, Were, Be, Being, Been". Ctrl+F for each one, and that'll help a lot.
    Avatar by Glasswhistle
    Let's Play Super Mario RPG
    Random Twitch Stream

  18. - Top - End - #1338
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    Damn straight, authors who think their stories are good enough for EQD should put them up here first so that I get to read them before anyone else we can offer helpful tips and criticism



    I'll read it. And for future reference, a passive sentence is one where the subject is referred to indirectly after the verb. For example:

    Passive: The story was written by the author
    Active: An author wrote the story

    A hidden verb is when you turn a verb into a noun to "hide" its presence in a sentence. If you use the most direct form of the verb you can this won't be a problem. Another example:

    Hidden: Thanks to the explanation, the writer gained an understanding of hidden verbs
    Uncovered: Thanks to the explanation, the writer understood hidden verbs

    If those two things come back at you as major problems, you probably need to try to write more directly and cut out the "fluff" words that don't contribute anything.

    If you send me the link to your story in the next 20 minutes or so I'll start it tonight, otherwise I'll have to get to it tomorrow
    I would give the link if Fimfiction wasn't down right now.

    Edit: Oh look, it's back! Yay. Here's your link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/11147/One-Last-Letter
    Last edited by maximus25; 2012-02-16 at 12:36 AM.

  19. - Top - End - #1339
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Pet peeve here. There is nothing wrong with the passive tense, it's not an evil, and cutting out every use of the verb "to be" in your work is an unnecessary constraint (although it's good for a 1-shot practice essay). Passive tense is about emphasis in a sentence. Most of the time, you want emphasis on the actor because the things that people care about in a story are the characters, who generally have to do things. Sometimes you don't care about the actor and then passive tense becomes appropriate. Compare the following

    Example 1: "The boy threw the ball"
    "The ball was thrown by the boy."

    Almost always there, the boy is the active participant and you want the sentence to talk about the boy, so you use an active verb.

    Example 2: "Someone shot my best friend!"
    "My best friend was shot!"

    Here, I prefer the passive tense in many cases. You don't even know who the actor was so you have to use "someone" if you use an active verb. Moreover, the key point of that sentence is the person who was shot and use of the passive places the emphasis where you want it.

    The important thing is to actually think about what you want to say and then say it in the clearest way possible.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  20. - Top - End - #1340
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Eakin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Pet peeve here. There is nothing wrong with the passive tense, it's not an evil, and cutting out every use of the verb "to be" in your work is an unnecessary constraint (although it's good for a 1-shot practice essay). Passive tense is about emphasis in a sentence. Most of the time, you want emphasis on the actor because the things that people care about in a story are the characters, who generally have to do things. Sometimes you don't care about the actor and then passive tense becomes appropriate. Compare the following

    Example 1: "The boy threw the ball"
    "The ball was thrown by the boy."

    Almost always there, the boy is the active participant and you want the sentence to talk about the boy, so you use an active verb.

    Example 2: "Someone shot my best friend!"
    "My best friend was shot!"

    Here, I prefer the passive tense in many cases. You don't even know who the actor was so you have to use "someone" if you use an active verb. Moreover, the key point of that sentence is the person who was shot and use of the passive places the emphasis where you want it.

    The important thing is to actually think about what you want to say and then say it in the clearest way possible.
    I think you're cheating with that second example. In example one, the subject and object are the same. In example two they aren't. A passive version of the first sentence might read "My best friend was shot by someone." Which I think is less compelling than the more direct form. Just reading them out loud, the second form seems just a little more awkward. something about the "was shot" construction just isn't sitting right. Depending on character, I'd probably just break it up into "It's Bob! He's been shot!" or "My best friend's been shot!" That's probably just a personal preference more than anything.

    Also I think the key part of that sentence is that someone got shot, not who it happened to.

    I'll admit though, that there's a time and a place for everything. But if you aren't even aware you're doing it in the first place I don't think you're making an intelligent selection of when the passive voice should be used, and in general I'd lean towards the active form as a rule.
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

    Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

  21. - Top - End - #1341
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    The important thing is to actually think about what you want to say and then say it in the clearest way possible.
    Addendum to this (and Eakin above): when writing dialogue (or monologues), think about how the *character* would talk. Correct tense can be a hit-and-miss affair for the "natural" speech of many people and characters. To put it in a pony-relevant context, characters like Princess Celestia, Twilight Sparkle, and Rarity are more likely to be concerned with correct use of tense and other grammatical constructs. Characters like Rainbow Dash and Applejack don't care none 'bout proper fancy talkin', and are more likely to use a mix of verb tenses.

  22. - Top - End - #1342
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Anarion's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    San Francisco
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Eakin View Post
    I think you're cheating with that second example. In example one, the subject and object are the same. In example two they aren't. A passive version of the first sentence might read "My best friend was shot by someone." Which I think is less compelling than the more direct form. Just reading them out loud, the second form seems just a little more awkward. something about the "was shot" construction just isn't sitting right. Depending on character, I'd probably just break it up into "It's Bob! He's been shot!" or "My best friend's been shot!" That's probably just a personal preference more than anything.

    Also I think the key part of that sentence is that someone got shot, not who it happened to.

    I'll admit though, that there's a time and a place for everything. But if you aren't even aware you're doing it in the first place I don't think you're making an intelligent selection of when the passive voice should be used, and in general I'd lean towards the active form as a rule.
    The advantage of the passive construction is that you can drop the "someone." It's literally impossible to construct that sentence actively without specifying the shooter, but when you construct it passively you can just drop the actor and focus on the best friend, which is why I think it's a good example.

    Also, both your examples are passive as well, you just rolled the verb to be into an apostrophe s. If you write that out (since I agree with the rule that apostrophes in writing except for dialogue are bad), it would be "It's Bob! He has been shot!" which is still passive and exactly why I prefer that construction to the active "It's Bob! Someone has shot him!"

    edit: how did that extra apostrophe get into the word apostrophe? Bad apostrophe! No! Sit!

    edit 2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Characters like Rainbow Dash and Applejack don't care none 'bout proper fancy talkin', and are more likely to use a mix of verb tenses.
    But if they don't care none, then they must, in fact, care some amount.
    Last edited by Anarion; 2012-02-16 at 01:28 AM.
    School Fox by Atlur

    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

    "Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

  23. - Top - End - #1343
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    MCerberus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Since we're talking about the finer points of the language, I must now officially post while pretending to smoke a pipe that actually blows bubbles.

    What? it's tradition for when you're discussing such matters while being completely insane.
    Ask me about our low price vacation plans in the Elemental Plane of Puppies and Pie
    Spoiler
    Show


    Evoker avatar by kpenguin. Evoker Pony by Dirtytabs. Grey Mouser, disciple of cupcakes by me. Any and all commiepuppies by BRC

    Ask blogs: Screwball and Derpy | Gummy

  24. - Top - End - #1344
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Eakin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Since we're talking about the finer points of the language, I must now officially post while pretending to smoke a pipe that actually blows bubbles.

    What? it's tradition for when you're discussing such matters while being completely insane.
    Indubitably!
    Spoiler
    Show


    Yeah, Anarion's right about not being able to construct an active sentence without having a subject, and Dex is even more right that proper grammar needs to serve the character and the story, it's not an end in and of itself.

    Still, I think I have at least one argument that trumps both of those things
    Spoiler
    Show


    I should probably sleep now
    Proof-reading is totally unnecessary in the digital age now that we have spell cheque.

    Pony thread's official Element of Youtube

  25. - Top - End - #1345
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Just so you know, I'm watching any and all tips to write better.

    Carry on.

  26. - Top - End - #1346
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Dexam's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Flanhk-Marepork
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    But if they don't care none, then they must, in fact, care some amount.
    Don't you use your fancy grammatics to muddle the issue!

    Quote Originally Posted by MCerberus View Post
    Since we're talking about the finer points of the language, I must now officially post while pretending to smoke a pipe that actually blows bubbles.

    What? it's tradition for when you're discussing such matters while being completely insane.
    Mmmm... quite. *nods sagely*

    Additional essential attire includes any of the following: monocle; half-moon spectacles; smoking jacket; argyle sweater/vest; or tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows.

  27. - Top - End - #1347
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Rebelhero's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2011

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    OMG SO CUTE!

    Spoiler
    Show
    ADVENTURE!!!!!

    My current story ponies-Ponylagann in the Ponythread.
    Spoiler
    Show

    NightScream
    Ponyard
    SkyRocket
    Filly Pokey Pierce


  28. - Top - End - #1348
    Banned
     
    SiuiS's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Somewhere south of Hell
    Gender
    Female

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Hnnnnnnng!

  29. - Top - End - #1349
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2008

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    Quote Originally Posted by Rebelhero View Post
    OMG SO CUTE!

    Spoiler
    Show
    Which bank do I have to rob to get this irresistible work of art?

  30. - Top - End - #1350
    Troll in the Playground
     
    thubby's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2005

    Default Re: My Little Pony XXXVII: We Should Have Learned [Something] By Now!

    passive also puts emphasis on the thing being acted upon. and thanks to the way we put together information, it's more confusing if you don't already know what that thing is.

    saying "bob was shot" queues in a friend of bob immediately that it's important.
    someone who doesnt know bob gets stuck with "whos bob?" at the first word

    where with "someone shot bob" he is identified by context. he is the victim of a shooting.

    *puts on tweed smoking jacket with leather patches over argyle sweater while using a half monocle *
    Last edited by thubby; 2012-02-16 at 07:44 AM.
    a tiny space dedicated to a beloved grandpa now passed. may every lunch be peanut butter-banana sandwiches.
    i has 2/4 an internets.
    old avatars
    Spoiler
    Show

    gnome_4ever:

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •