New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Shadowrun --> D&D 3.X/D20

I like the concept of Shadowrun but not the rule-set. To me it's way to clunky, when you have to have a cheat-sheet to tell you how to resolve each type of skill check and most skill checks aren't the same twice because of all the variables. I'm very familiar with D&D rules and I find them much more agreeable.

My question: is there any existing product that takes the idea of Shadowrun and applies it to a more D&D like rule-set?
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, unless you brought someone bigger and tastier along with you.

Spoiler
    Show

Go HERE for a look at the Ishka (CWBP) Wiki.

Go HERE for a look at the Dragon-World (CWBP) Wiki.

Quote Originally Posted by newD&Dfan View Post
    I hereby give you the title of Wiki Editor SilverScale. (in deep booming voice)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowrun > D&D 3.X/D20

A cyberpunk d20 modern/future setting might work for what you want, not sure, not familiar enough with them to know their mechanics for things like cybernetics and hacking.
    At the heart of all beauty lies something inhuman, and these hills, the softness of the sky, the outline of the trees at this very minute lose the illusory meaning with which we clothed them, henceforth more remote than a lost paradise.
    -Camus, An Absurd Reasoning

Fourth Doctor avatar courtesy of Szilard

3. - Top - End - #3
    Firbolg in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Eclipse Phase could somewhat be what you want, with rolls being d% + bonus vs. target number. It also has a bunch of different skills adding bonuses based on your "attributes" (I recall the game system name for them).

Still, it may not be exactly what you want, especially if you want something specifically in the d20 system.
    Quote Originally Posted by darthbobcat View Post
    There are no bad ideas, just bad execution.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to zimmerwald1915 for the Gustave avatar.
    The full set is here.

Air Raccoon avatar provided by Ceika
    from the Request an OotS Style Avatar thread

A big thanks to PrinceAquilaDei for the gryphon avatar!
    original image

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

You could copy it with M&M or True20. If you want existing settings, Interface Zero uses Savage Worlds, Blue Planet uses Synergy System or Gurps, Cyberpunk 2020 uses the Interlock System, Transhuman Space uses Gurps, and Eclipse Phase uses a percentile system. There's a lot out there. :)
    Last edited by Raum; 2012-02-14 at 06:30 PM.
    -
    I laugh at myself first, before anyone else can.
    -- Paraphrased from Elsa Maxwell
    -
    The more labels you have for yourself, the dumber they make you.
    -- Paul Graham in Keep Your Identity Small

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGuy

Might want the title to be "Shadowrun -> D&D 3.X/D20." I came in here tensed for a system war.

As to the question, *whoof,* definitely doesn't seem like you can just kludge something up in D20. The way magic works is quite different, and fairly integral IMO to the setting. Well, you probably could, but it'd feel like reinventing the wheel.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

OGL Steampunk or OGL Cybernet or some combination thereof. The books are produced by Mongoose Publishing and can be had on DriveThru RPG for $25ish. They are Steampunk/Cyberpunk core books using the D20 rules. I believe the Steampunk one has spell-casters in it.
    Last edited by Hunter Killer; 2012-02-15 at 01:46 PM.
    "What is Sanity? Madness put to good use. What is our waking life? A dream controlled."
    -George Santayana

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Shadowrun --> D&D 3.X/D20

Hmmmm, I never needed to use the tables for Shadowrun, but we played third edition.

The things I can remember actually needing a table for was firearms ranges, which we never used since we didnīt use minis or anything. We just eyeballed it most of the time.

Everything else if we didnīt feel like getting too rules-involved, we just used the general target number scale, which ran from 2 to 10 I think. 2 routine, 4 average, 6-7 difficult, 8 strenuous, 10 nearly impossible, and so-on.

GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Record
    Styx Rivermen, Feets Reloaded, and Selene's Seductive Strut
    Record: 42-17-13
    3-time Division Champ, Cup Champion