New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: The Commoner Handbook

I have to ask, why did you not include the Daelkyr Halfblood under races or the Spellfire Wielder feat under feats? Both are incredibly useful and offer some good options for your average commoner.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Am I missing a reason that you recommend animal training armor over leather, leather has no ACP therefore proficiency doesn't affect it.
    It has 7 lower ACP and 5 high max dexterity bonus than animal training armor. It costs the exact same price and is less obscure, and it has a higher movement speed.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Banned

@ OP: Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly can any character start with "three or four" feats, when restricted to Level 1 in a class with no bonus feats? As far as I knew, one feat for nonhumans or two for humans (and a few oddities like Stronghearts) was an absolute limit unless your class said otherwise.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    @ OP: Forgive my ignorance, but how exactly can any character start with "three or four" feats, when restricted to Level 1 in a class with no bonus feats? As far as I knew, one feat for nonhumans or two for humans (and a few oddities like Stronghearts) was an absolute limit unless your class said otherwise.
    Taking a flaw(from Unearthed Arcana) gives you a bonus feat in exchange

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

A commoner who picks a high CHA race, could very well go into a handle animal, leadership monster! :D

Could be some legendary RPing!
    Path of the Nefarious: A Way of the Wicked Journal.
    Please take a look at the adventures of my group going through Fire Mountain Games's Way of the Wicked, An evil based Pathfinder Compatible adventure path.
    http://d20evil.blogspot.com/

6. - Top - End - #66
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by killem2 View Post
    A commoner who picks a high CHA race, could very well go into a handle animal, leadership monster! :D

Could be some legendary RPing!
    It is true that the best thing a commoner can do is get others to do the work for them. a first level commoner (12.5gp) can hire a Minotaur for one day (8gp) and do a first level adventure in one day (8 encounters CR1=2400xp/2=1200xp) now you have a WBL of (900gp-8gp=892) now you can hire a pair of ogre mages for a month.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulAngus View Post
    It is true that the best thing a commoner can do is get others to do the work for them. a first level commoner (12.5gp) can hire a Minotaur for one day (8gp) and do a first level adventure in one day (8 encounters CR1=2400xp/2=1200xp) now you have a WBL of (900gp-8gp=892) now you can hire a pair of ogre mages for a month.
    This is assuming you could get a mercenary minotaur to work for you and not eat you and if said encounters weren't anything besides combats or in areas that would allow the minotaur to get inside and be effective. ("No, little boss man, I'm not going into that kobold warren.") This is also expecting the minotaur to not eat you after your contract is at end so he can take all the treasure and have a meal at the same time.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

8. - Top - End - #68
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    This is assuming you could get a mercenary minotaur to work for you and not eat you and if said encounters weren't anything besides combats or in areas that would allow the minotaur to get inside and be effective. ("No, little boss man, I'm not going into that kobold warren.") This is also expecting the minotaur to not eat you after your contract is at end so he can take all the treasure and have a meal at the same time.
    It could also just be two centaurs (12gp) or 10 human warriors(1gp)

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay has a really sweet glut of profession based NPCS that i would love to transpose into 3.5 as NPCS for my campaigns

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

One of the Commoner's greatest strengths: Numbers.

Take a look at the DMG2 Mob template: 48 Commoners can join up into a Mob, and become a shapeable Gargantuan CR 8 with 30HD, 135hp, excellent saves, and a grapple mod of +34 (and can grapple multiple creatures without penalty).
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-05-19 at 08:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Titan in the Playground

Flaws. Among other things, Frail inflicts practically no penalty since you're going to die if you get hit anyway.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

12. - Top - End - #72
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jade Dragon View Post
    Flaws. Among other things, Frail inflicts practically no penalty since you're going to die if you get hit anyway.
    Okay, so a flaw can get you up to 2 feats, or 3 if you're human. The OP alluded to one more than that.

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    Taking a flaw(from Unearthed Arcana) gives you a bonus feat in exchange
    (Purple is sarcasm, I thought?)

13. - Top - End - #73

Daemon

Okay, so a flaw can get you up to 2 feats, or 3 if you're human. The OP alluded to one more than that.

Sarcasm is blue. Also, you can get up to 2 flaws normally. So 2 feats from flaws, 1 from level 1, and an extra if you are human for 3 or 4 feats total.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

You can also worship an elder evil, be tainted, and sell your soul

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm...

Strongheart Halfling with:

Magical Training, Heighten Spell, Versatile Spell Caster and Spellfire Wielder.

With a Con of 14 (and two weeks of prep time) can dish out 14D6 at a range of 400 feet. One time. I think I've found the most glassy of cannons
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

motoko just always posts in purple, it's not meant to convey a specific tone besides personal whim.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

As Demigodus said, you can get up to two flaws. Vulnerable is another good one.

Also, I love that halfling Spellfire build. "The young green dragon sees a halfling caravan passing through his forest. He swoops down and lands in front of them, and say 'give me half of the goods in that caravan'. Two of the halflings each extend a hand out at him, and two bursts of fire erupt from their fingers. Bye-bye dragon."

As for the sarcasm, at least one poster thinks magenta makes a better color. I don't see it, though.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2012-05-20 at 11:33 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

18. - Top - End - #78

Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    motoko just always posts in purple, it's not meant to convey a specific tone besides personal whim.
    Sorry about the confusion, I just like it better this way

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by tiercel View Post
    I guess the most obvious question is, what EL of threat against Opto-Thorp does it take for them to actually feel the need to put out a call for adventurers? (I'm guessing bog-standard "ogre raiders" and "bandit fodder" have either learned to avoid Opto-Thorp or succumbed to natural selection.)
    Opto-Thorp is threatened by Opto-Bandit Gang which is also comprised of lvl 1 npc classes.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... What is the feat that allows you to use one power? Any way we could use that to get an Astral Construct for more than two rounds?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

21. - Top - End - #81
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    Those all give you a bonus feat? Also if your DM lets you take more than one of them you have a rather stupid DM (or at least one who doesn't give a ****, which is somewhat less of a criticism).

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lans View Post
    I'd like to have a source on the last two options (page number included if possible), because I've never heard about Taint granting extra feats, nor an official RAW possibility to sell your soul and gain feats.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Selling your soul is covered in Fiendish Codex II, page 23-24.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MukkTB View Post
    Opto-Thorp is threatened by Opto-Bandit Gang which is also comprised of lvl 1 npc classes.
    I kind of want to see an Opto-bandit squad, if only for more information to pinch on how to make my Thrallherds 1st level NPC Believers useful.

EDIT: Also, Weapon and Torch mentions it has a chance to daze enemies. Is this true?

EDIT AGAIN: One last question. How do you Rate Arrow Volley (CWar 124) vs. Missile Volley (PHBII)?
    Arrow Volley lets a formation of 10 archers fire a volley using the team leader's BAB+int to target an area in the same shape as the archers formation, and force everyone in that area to make a DC15 reflex save or take a hit.
    Missile Volley lets a formation of up to 8 team members to fire a volley with each individual member getting a +1 bonus for each member of the team participation, on the caveat that they all fire at the same target. It also requires every member to have Point Blank Shot, and for the leader to also have Precise Shot.

I'm not sure that the Ref DC on an Arrow Volley is even high enough to be worth considering, and though it seems like it would be easy enough to just have an archery squad learn both, it doesn't work quite that way. Arrow Volley requires 10 archers, Missile Volley allows a max of 8. And even if you want your crack Missile Volley team to just recruit 2 more warm bodies to fill out the formation, Arrow volley requires bows instead of allowing crossbows, so you have to bring in Warriors instead of Commoners or Experts.
    Last edited by Crasical; 2012-05-21 at 12:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Hmm... What is the feat that allows you to use one power? Any way we could use that to get an Astral Construct for more than two rounds?
    Hidden Talent (Astral Construct), Practiced Manifester. Voilà, 5-rounds Astral Constructs of first level. You can have two. If you're an Elan, you'll get four power points from your race and Hidden Talent.
    Without the Complete Psionic nerf to Astral Construct, you can have four simultaneous Astral Constructs of first level.
    With the nerf, you can have five rounds of second-level Astral Construct, then ten rounds of first-level Astral Constructs.

With a second Flaw, you can get a Psicrystal, and that one has one feat too. Thus, Hidden Talent (Astral Construct), and that's ten more rounds of first-level Astral Constructs. But those can coexist with yours. Or give it Entangling Ectoplasm, so it entangles one Medium creature with a ranged touch attack, no SR no save, and your Constructs pummel it to death.

It's almost better than a first-level Psion... One Fragile, Shaky Elan Commoner with a psicrystal is not all that scary to five kobolds, but with equal numbers, that's ten simultaneous five-rounds, second level Astral Constructs, and five entangling attacks per round. Oh yes, Leadership is scary.

Without psicrystal, the second Flaw could give Extend Power, so with only one power known and four power points per day, one can reasonably assume the character is psionically focused at every Initiative roll. This means that expending the focus enables the character to Extend one first-level Astral Construct, and it's available all the time. That's a one minute first-level Astral Construct... normally it's one round at first level. Still five rounds available, with the one remaining power point. Hmm, not optimal.

How to optimize this? Three feats slots are available, without over two Flaws, which is "not recommended". So we have found optimal Hidden Talent (Astral Construct), and it would be nice to augment it. Could we do this with incarnum?

So, what about Midnight Augmentation? With one level, we could invest the one point of Essentia given by itself into itself, and cheapen the augmentation of Astral Construct by one point... so a second-level AC would cost two power points, and that's ten rounds of second-level AC with the four power points. Neat.

One more way : with Azure Talent, Hidden Talent and Practiced manifester. This would give six power points, with the one essentia from Azure Talent invested in itself. So that's also two five-rounds second-level Astral Constructs.

The Astral Construct Spam Squad of Flawed Elan Commoners : An Elan experiment in an Elan village. "If this doesn't work out, we have the technology to rebuild them, anyway." I'll do that in the first hidden village I build wih my current Elan Psion.
    Last edited by Cor1; 2012-05-21 at 02:42 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by AstralFire View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Dew View Post
    Hey! Birth is a wonderful, beautiful thing! If the father is watching at the right time, he gets to see the baby's head emerge from the birth canal with the brains squashing out through the cracks in baby's skull, held in only by skin!
    I'm posting for the first time after months of self-imposed exile to say that I hate you for this message.

26. - Top - End - #86

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I have to ask, why did you not include the Daelkyr Halfblood under races or the Spellfire Wielder feat under feats? Both are incredibly useful and offer some good options for your average commoner.
    I think I just forgot about the Daelkyr Halfblood (I do love their Throwing Gauntlet) and regarding the Spellfire Wielder feat I didn't include it (I actually struggled with this for a while) because while it is powerful I didn't see a reliable way of activating it in small town.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderfulAngus View Post
    Am I missing a reason that you recommend animal training armor over leather, leather has no ACP therefore proficiency doesn't affect it.
    It has 7 lower ACP and 5 high max dexterity bonus than animal training armor. It costs the exact same price and is less obscure, and it has a higher movement speed.
    This was honestly an over-sight on my end, thanks for pointing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Crasical View Post
    I kind of want to see an Opto-bandit squad, if only for more information to pinch on how to make my Thrallherds 1st level NPC Believers useful.
    I could do so much with Adepts, Aristocrats, Magewrights, & Warriors...

Also, Weapon and Torch mentions it has a chance to daze enemies. Is this true?
    Nope, it has a chance to make a creature dazzled for 1d4 rounds. I made a mistake in the feat section regarding the feat.

EDIT AGAIN: One last question. How do you Rate Arrow Volley (CWar 124) vs. Missile Volley (PHBII)?
    Arrow Volley lets a formation of 10 archers fire a volley using the team leader's BAB+int to target an area in the same shape as the archers formation, and force everyone in that area to make a DC15 reflex save or take a hit.
    Missile Volley lets a formation of up to 8 team members to fire a volley with each individual member getting a +1 bonus for each member of the team participation, on the caveat that they all fire at the same target. It also requires every member to have Point Blank Shot, and for the leader to also have Precise Shot.

I'm not sure that the Ref DC on an Arrow Volley is even high enough to be worth considering, and though it seems like it would be easy enough to just have an archery squad learn both, it doesn't work quite that way. Arrow Volley requires 10 archers, Missile Volley allows a max of 8. And even if you want your crack Missile Volley team to just recruit 2 more warm bodies to fill out the formation, Arrow volley requires bows instead of allowing crossbows, so you have to bring in Warriors instead of Commoners or Experts.
    I honestly didn't know about Arrow Volley but it seems pretty rad. Also remember you can still have both of these options available with a squad of Fire Elves.

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    I could do so much with Adepts, Aristocrats, Magewrights, & Warriors...
    I would totally love to read about it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Waker View Post
    [..] that post by Crasical...I can't find the words. Were I capable of emotion, I would cry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tokuhara View Post
    That's beautiful Crasical... Simply marvelous.

28. - Top - End - #88

SwashbucklerGuy

I would totally love to read about it!
    But what challenge is there when you have wealth, magic and a +1 BaB!?!?!

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zonugal View Post
    But what challenge is there when you have wealth, magic and a +1 BaB!?!?!
    It's more fun if the Bandits have the same limitations as the Thorp. All Commoners (maybe Warrior if you're feeling generous about their combat experience), wealth limit, would likely be in "Squad" numbers (~11-20).

EDIT: With a starting wealth of 3d4x10 (average 75gp), BAB +1, and a d8, those Warriors are going to be tough..
    Last edited by Slipperychicken; 2012-05-21 at 08:43 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90

I'm pretty sure opto bandit gang is composed of warriors and maybe experts pretending to be rogues. They 'balance' against opto thorp by not being very many of them. 5-10 probably. They probably aren't willing to take opto thorp in a straight up fight.

If you want to see opto thorpe run over and burned to the ground you're looking for opto barbarian horde. Roughly 30 warriors run by a embryonic big bad. They day he burned your home to the ground was the most important day of your life, young adventurer. But for him, it was Tuesday.