New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Request: The Best Arcane Caster Ever (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Wavelab View Post
    I don't regret making this request. Thank you, no longer do people have to over optimise. They can just take a base class.
    If this was your express purpose with this character, then I'd strongly recommend that you guys move the INT modifier to Hit Points further back.

I mean, way further back.

As far as PrCing out and over-optimizing is concerned, making the break point for the most powerful class feature available to this class at the exact same level that I get third-level arcane spells and 8 ranks in Spellcraft is just ripe for PrC wreckage.

I would either recommend that you switch it with, say, the 14th-level ability to add your Int modifier to initiative or at least the 11th-level ability to overcome spell resistance, if you don't want to completely reshuffle the abilities... OR, have your CON modifier only apply to your primary casting stat for Archmage class levels.

I bring this up because I believe primary casting stat = your Hit Point modifier is a capstone-worthy ability--which is why on my own Blood Mage, which was, admittedly, created with some pretense of balance, it was a capstone ability--and should require some semblance of class dedication. As-written, as amazing as this class is, it's still only five levels long, because I could probably still break the game even further by PrCing out as soon as humanly possible, and doing it as recklessly as possible because I have as much hit points as the Crusader (assuming the Crusader rolled well).
    Homebrew!
    5e: Expanded Inspiration Uses

Spoiler: 3.5/P Stuff. Warning: OLD
    Show

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Request: The Best Arcane Caster Ever (3.5 Base Class, PEACH)

Quote Originally Posted by Lonely Tylenol View Post
    If this was your express purpose with this character, then I'd strongly recommend that you guys move the INT modifier to Hit Points further back.

I mean, way further back.

As far as PrCing out and over-optimizing is concerned, making the break point for the most powerful class feature available to this class at the exact same level that I get third-level arcane spells and 8 ranks in Spellcraft is just ripe for PrC wreckage.

I would either recommend that you switch it with, say, the 14th-level ability to add your Int modifier to initiative or at least the 11th-level ability to overcome spell resistance, if you don't want to completely reshuffle the abilities... OR, have your CON modifier only apply to your primary casting stat for Archmage class levels.

I bring this up because I believe primary casting stat = your Hit Point modifier is a capstone-worthy ability--which is why on my own Blood Mage, which was, admittedly, created with some pretense of balance, it was a capstone ability--and should require some semblance of class dedication. As-written, as amazing as this class is, it's still only five levels long, because I could probably still break the game even further by PrCing out as soon as humanly possible, and doing it as recklessly as possible because I have as much hit points as the Crusader (assuming the Crusader rolled well).
    Alright sure. Initiative bonus would be more useful at lower levels anyway, since by higher levels you'll have items for that.