New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

Default Virtual Table Top?

Hey guys,

So a couple friends of mine (who used to attend college together, but have since then all moved apart) wanted to try an online game that wasn't pbp, since those particular games tend to die out fairly easily (I think we're up to 5 dead pbp campaigns haha.)

I've tried a couple virtual table tops I've found online, but couldn't really get any to work. What do you all suggest? I'm looking for something that's free (this is the most important aspect lol). We don't need anything fancy, just a chat box, a die roller, and a grid for maps for encounters. Nothing fancy, we don't need pictures or effects or anything, just a simple excel-like grid.

Thanks in advance =]
    Many thanks to Derjuin for my avatar

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Virtual Table Top?

Have you tried OpenRPG yet?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

I never found anything that satisfied me, so I just wrote my own.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I've tried both Klooge Werks (not free) and MapTool http://www.rptools.net/index.php?page=maptool Map tool is particularly cool for the way it handles light/visibility. We were using it more as a virtual map board than for remote gaming though. Best of luck to you.
    78% of all DM's start their first campaign in a tavern. If you're among the 22% who didn't, copy and paste this into your signature and tell us where you DID begin.

2/3 of the party started as prisoners in a guardhouse outside of Westgate accused of arson.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

The simplest VTT I've seen is Gametable http://sourceforge.net/projects/game...urce=directory

It's the one that I use with my group, it doesn't have all the fancy features that Maptools has (fog of war, lighting etc) but it is considerbly easier to use.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

We use Maptool for my current campaign, and it's pretty cool.

Before we used OpenRPG, and it was good as well, but we had a problem where not everyone could see the images. Dunno if it was a problem with the program, of with their connections.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Tabletop Forge is an app for Google+ Hangouts that seems to do what you want. It's still in development but the developer says a public beta is approaching.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Maptools works well for me.
    I make games.

"...I worry that modern gaming is gradually shrinking the wide spectrum of gameplay mechanics into a single narrow red bar with "KILL" written on it sideways. Exploration, navigation, puzzles, platforming, all gradually shrinking away until only one thing remains, being taken by the hand from room to room, moving on only when nothing remains alive in each one." - Yhatzee Crosshaw

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

You might want to look at infrno(misspelling intentional). Their audio is buggy beyond belief, but we didn't have problems with the grid or chat box.

Along came a man by the name of Charlie Mops,
    and he invented a wonderful drink and he made it out of hops.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Banjax View Post
    The simplest VTT I've seen is Gametable http://sourceforge.net/projects/game...urce=directory

It's the one that I use with my group, it doesn't have all the fancy features that Maptools has (fog of war, lighting etc) but it is considerbly easier to use.
    I used this once or twice. It worked pretty well.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

11. - Top - End - #11
    Colossus in the Playground

How detailed does your map need to be? I use Skype for chatting, this extremely useful roller for dice and google docs if I need a map. Though I must admit that I handle combat without maps, mostly. I use them for building plans and things like that.
    Resident Vancian Apologist