New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Request: Squall Leonhart's Gunblade (3.5 Exotic Weapon, PEACH)

{table] Name | Cost | Dmg (S) | Dmg (M) | Critical | Range Increment | Weight | Type
    Gunblade | 200 gp | 1d8 | 2d6 | 19-20/x3 | - | 15 lb | Slashing
    [/table]

Gunblade: A gunblade is a two-handed weapon that is shaped like a rather large and heavy greatsword, with a trigger and handle on the end. To the untrained eye, it simply looks like a rather fancy sword. A character trained in its use, however, can unlock its true potential.

As a move action, or as a free action as part of a charge, a character with the Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Gunblade) feat can pull the trigger and cause a shockwave to vibrate through the weapon. A vibrating gunblade's edge tears through anything it touches and delivers incredibly painful damage. If the wielder activates the gunblade, for the rest of the round, the gunblade deals an additional +2d8 damage with its next successful attack. This damage increases with the gunblade's enhancement bonus. The gunblade's extra damage increases by +1d8 per +1 bonus it has to its attack and damage rolls from magical enhancements (to a maximum of +7d8 for a +5 gunblade). This damage is not bonus damage, it is an increase to the base damage of the weapon, and therefore it is multiplied on a critical hit.

Rapid Fire (Fighter)
    Prerequisites: Str 15, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Gunblade), BAB +6
    Benefit: You may pull the trigger and activate your gunblade as a swift action.
    Normal: Activating your gunblade is a move action, or a free action as part of a charge.
    Special: A fighter may select Rapid Fire as one of his fighter bonus feats.

Extended Fire (Fighter)
    Prerequisites: Str 17, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Gunblade), Rapid Fire, BAB +9
    Benefit: When you activate your gunblade, its increased damage applies to all successful attacks you make for the rest of the round.
    Normal: When you activate your gunblade, it deals increased damge to the next successful attack you make during the current round.
    Special: A fighter may select Extended Fire as one of his fighter bonus feats.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-03-11 at 10:35 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Request: Squall Leonhart's Gunblade (3.5 Exotic Weapon, PEACH)

Seraphi, we need an emoticon that says, 'I love it so much I wanna use it right freaking now in a campaign.', cause I'd be spamming them right now.
    Quotes and Homebrew
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Zahn View Post
    ...I like your style, Mr.Brains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren
    Meanwhile, the sorcerer is the HS dropout that ended up debt-free and founding Facebook.
    My Homebrew
    Former Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show
    :By Ceika
    :By Akrim.Elf

3. - Top - End - #3

Clarified how Revolver works with critical hits.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

MindFlayer

This seems overpowered. It makes Exotic Weapon Proficiency (gunblade) equivalent to Improved Critical and up to 14 stackable Weapon Specializations all in one.

The fluff is awesome, though.

5. - Top - End - #5

Quote Originally Posted by Tarvon000 View Post
    This seems overpowered. It makes Exotic Weapon Proficiency (gunblade) equivalent to Improved Critical and up to 14 stackable Weapon Specializations all in one.

The fluff is awesome, though.
    That's how I've always felt EWP should be, though. If even a fighter has to spend a feat just to be able to use the weapon, then it had better be a damn good weapon.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSeraphi View Post
    That's how I've always felt EWP should be, though. If even a fighter has to spend a feat just to be able to use the weapon, then it had better be a damn good weapon.
    Except that this is hilariously beyond the pale. A great baseline for how much weapon a feat should be worth is the Spiked Chain - this? This is just freaking absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

7. - Top - End - #7

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Except that this is hilariously beyond the pale. A great baseline for how much weapon a feat should be worth is the Spiked Chain - this? This is just freaking absurd.
    I don't think so. The spiked chain grants you options. It gives you reach, and it lets you trip and disarm with it, and gives you bonuses to both, while also letting you maintain your adjacent threat.

The gunblade gives you damage, but that's it, and the damage is pretty small unless you invest gold into it. At higher levels, most classes do have better things to do with their swift actions than increase their damage for the round, and those that don't, well, now they get something out of the action economy that they always lacked. If you are spending a feat in order to get scaling damage, then it should obviously be better than EWP (Katana) or Weapon Specialization.

However, if it's really too much, I can just drop it to 2d6, +1d6 per enhancement.
    Last edited by NeoSeraphi; 2012-03-11 at 10:27 PM.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

at the same time, it blows most feats out of the water... this beats power attack for first level, and probably until mid level. the fact a thf melee will use no other weapon is sort of a bad thing...(+2d8 base damage? for one feat? why would I mind?)

now, if it was a move action... I could see it. even as a free action as part of a move(aka charge) would make it reasonable. or an ammunition limit, with like 6 shots maximum at one time, x cost gun powder, and the bonus lasts one attack...
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender

9. - Top - End - #9

Quote Originally Posted by bobthe6th View Post
    now, if it was a move action... I could see it. even as a free action as part of a move(aka charge) would make it reasonable. or an ammunition limit, with like 6 shots maximum at one time, x cost gun powder, and the bonus lasts one attack...
    Interesting...very well. Thank you for your input.

10. - Top - End - #10

Updated. Nerfed the weapon's mechanics, then added two feats to bring it up to its original standard.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

So....can you actually shoot it? Or does pulling the trigger just make it vibrate?
    Guess who's good at avatars? Thormag. That's who.

A Campaign Setting more than a year in the making, Patria!

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    So....can you actually shoot it? Or does pulling the trigger just make it vibrate?
    It just makes it vibrate. Apparently, Square Enix didn't make gunblades actual guns until Final Fantasy XIII (which is weird, since Squall can shoot Sora with his gunblade in Kingdom Hearts).

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

much better. now near reasonable. still a bit heavy, but uber chargers have other things to do with there feats, so it is a choice.
    Avatar by Szilard, thank you sir for the fine work!

my home brew. you should PEACH them...
    Telekineticist
    Razor
    Shield
    blasterv4
    mindbender