New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Help Me With My Universal RPG System

Core Mechanic
    When your character attempts to do something that challenges their abilities, such as jumping over a pit or kicking down a door, you must follow the procedure described below:
    1. Roll a number of dice determined by your statistic, and the circumstances.
    2. For each result of 4, 5 or 6, you gain a success.
    3. For each result of 6, you can roll another die and add any successes gained by that roll to your total number of successes. If that die turned out as a 6, you can roll yet again! This can create a chain of successes.

The total number of successes achieved determines how well your character did. If you archived enough successes, you succeed in your endeavour!

This series of actions is called a Test. The number of successes needed is called the Difficulty. So, a challenge where the player rolls a number of dice equal to their character’s Mind statistic and must achieve at least three successes to succeed would be called a Difficulty 3 Mind Test.

Example Tests:

PHP Code:
    Difficulty      Statistic Used          Description
    2               Body                    Climbing an easily gripped rocky slope
    3               Mind                    Solving a difficult math problem in a limited amount of time.
    5               Body                    Running down a bumpyslippery path in the dark without falling.
    6               Spirit                  Forcing down a large mug of crude oil in a short time.
    8               Body                    Crushing a human scull in one’s bare hands.
    9               Mind                    Accurately resiting the first hundred digits of Pi.
    11              Spirit                  Levitating one inch off the ground through sheer force of will
    Margin of Success
    Sometimes, it is important to know not only if a character succeeded at a task, but also how well they did. When a character not only succeeds at a challenge, but achieves more successes than they need to do so, the difference between the total number of successes archived and the target number are called the margin of success.

Margin of Failure
    Margin of failure is identical to margin of success, save for the fact that it measures how badly someone failed.
    Last edited by Chainsaw Hobbit; 2012-03-21 at 02:53 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Help Me With My Universal RPG System

Player one: I'm a god, capable of reshaping the cosmos to my whims.
    Player two: I'm a male model. I want to use my New Look to show player one what real beauty is.
    Player three: I'm a sentient virus. I want to kill player two over the course of several years.

Can this occur in your system without additional rules being added by the GM? (We're not talking differences in power level, here, mind - fairness between players isn't even relevant. Rather, we're trying to see if your simple rules work for any sort of exchange.)
    If not, the system isn't really universal....just easy to adapt to other situations. And if so, right on - seems you're on the right track.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Help Me With My Universal RPG System

Help Me With My Universal RPG System
    Is there a question?