New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: OOTS #847 - The Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Turgon9357 View Post
    This is starting to feel like Sweeney Todd, where everything happens in tandem so as to produce the worst possible outcome. The wizard is out, the Probably More Competent Linear Guild showed up and has the upper hand, and the dominated Kobold could break free and have his vengeance against Belkar and the Scruffinator.

I'm predicting a gut-wrenching Shoot the Dog moment, a murderous halfling (well, more murderous than usual), comedic Kobold mutilation, and a heroic last stand for the Belkstar (possibly along the lines of Boromir's end).

And don't forget that the clock is ticking until Xykon and Redcloak. From what Xykon said, it looks like the two will only stay on the Astral Plane as long as it takes for Xykon to use all his scrolls and for Redcloak to select and cast his series of spells. Then it's off to the rift's exact location, thanks to Serini's diary.
    the perfect time to reveal that Soon and Girard shared at least one thing in common

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Smolder View Post
    Nope, I guarantee it won't be, for a couple of reasons.
    1) Both Tarquin and Nale have a long history of fleeing when defeated.
    2) Elan has a plan to deal with them, and since he hasn't told anyone the plan, it's going to work.

*citation added.
    Well, I suppose in theory they could just run away every time and simply remain a loose end when the comic is done, but I find that unlikely. They're going to die (or be permanently defeated) sometime, and now's as good a time as any (and probably better than most). The Linear Guild aren't the Ultimate Bad Guys. They're the Penultimate Bad Guys. And what do the Penultimate Bad Guys always do? Die in the second-to-last big fight. With only Kraagor's gate remaining, this could very well be the end of the line for the Guild.

...of course, there could also be battles remaining on Snarl-world, Xykon's fortress, or any number of other perfectly plausible battle fields. So maybe I'm being a little premature in my declaration. But this just feels like the right place for them to go out to me.

edit: I suppose that this might imply that whatever play the IFCC is going to make will also occur soon, while Sabine is still on the board. That seems less likely to me. Maybe I am wrong. Eh. Time will tell.
    Last edited by rgrekejin; 2012-03-30 at 06:06 PM.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Outnumbered and not ready

Queue Linear Guild
    Gitp's No. 1 Cake hater
    On Vacation until Aug 7th.
    Spell currently researching: Explosive Pie.
    Weapon currently crafting: +1 cakebane kris

4. - Top - End - #94
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Orzel View Post
    Outnumbered and not ready

Queue Linear Guild
    The word is "cue". A queue is a line in which you stand to wait for something.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    the perfect time to reveal that Soon and Girard shared at least one thing in common
    What, exactly, would that be? I don't see why any of the things they had in common would help the Order at this point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zap Dynamic View Post
    I want to create a world that is full of possibility, and one of the best ways to handle it is by creating a bunch of stories that haven't yet been finished.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    At this point, however, I'm thinking way too hard about the practical problems of running a battle royale school for Russian assassins, so I think I'll leave it there.
    In my posts, smilies generally correspond to my expression at the time. As an example, means "huh?" and "Hmm..". Also, "Landis" is fine.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

KilKil is a great evil counterpart to Belkar due to being great using its mind.

I am happy to see that Malack cares about Durkon. At first, I though he didnt mind killing him and he only deserved better than to erish to the Linear Guild (due to the other comic lefting that ambiguous.) Still, I wonder why he hasnt argued that they promised to leave Durkon to him.

I also wonder who would Team Evil fight against when they arrive.
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    or Star Wars.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by t209 View Post
    P.S- Today is the 20th strip anniversary (made by me) of Thanh's death and Declaring loss of Azure City.
    It also marks the 50th strip anniversary of Blackwing calling himself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, the 100th strip anniversary of Hinjo's latest appearance, the 200th strip anniversary of Elan's first cure spell, the 600th strip anniversary of Haley's aphasia, and the 700th strip anniversary of the kitty umbrella's first appearance.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jere7my View Post
    mastaba (n): a mudbrick superstructure above tombs in ancient Egypt from which the pyramid developed

And thank you for teaching me a new word!
    Happy to help!

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by rgrekejin View Post
    Well, I suppose in theory they could just run away every time and simply remain a loose end when the comic is done, but I find that unlikely. They're going to die (or be permanently defeated) sometime, and now's as good a time as any (and probably better than most). The Linear Guild aren't the Ultimate Bad Guys. They're the Penultimate Bad Guys. And what do the Penultimate Bad Guys always do? Die in the second-to-last big fight. With only Kraagor's gate remaining, this could very well be the end of the line for the Guild.
    No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat.

It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains... Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that? If it's fort, then Tarquin could very well go all O-chul on Xykon's ass.

Last edited by Smolder; 2012-03-30 at 06:19 PM.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    It also marks the 50th strip anniversary of Blackwing calling himself a super-advanced flying stealth dinosaur, the 100th strip anniversary of Hinjo's latest appearance, the 200th strip anniversary of Elan's first cure spell, the 600th strip anniversary of Haley's aphasia, and the 700th strip anniversary of the kitty umbrella's first appearance.
    Clearly, this is a strip of monumental importance.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I wasn't caught quite as off-guard as most people seem to be, thanks to Roy's suspicious wording in panel 2, but this still was a pleasant surprise. Well, sort-of-pleasant surprise - I've eagerly anticipating the "final battle" for this arc, but having it start with V once again out of commission does not bode well. And they haven't even found the Gate yet...

Also, is Tarquin riding a zombie pterosaur? The man has style (nice to see the helmet return, too).

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    What, exactly, would that be? I don't see why any of the things they had in common would help the Order at this point.
    I believe he's referring to the theory that Girard "went archlich" or is otherwise defending the Gate in posthumous form.

12. - Top - End - #102

No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat. It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains...

Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that
    Since when do fighters care about energy drains? Its not like they lost access to 9th level spells. Yes you get a Fortitude save for implosion which raises the question of just who is the higher-level character here....

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Landis963 View Post
    taht both of them set it up so even after death they could defend there gate

14. - Top - End - #104
    Pixie in the Playground

No one wants to see Nale die more than me, but I'm positive that if he can still walk (or be carried by Sabine) when Xykon and RC show up, he'll give up on this gate in a heartbeat. It remains to be see what Tarquin will do. I'm wondering if he's got a ring or something to protect him from energy drains...

Doesn't matter. I'm sure he doesn't have a ring of protection from Implosion. Do you get a save for that? If it's fort, then Tarquin could very well go all O-chul on Xykon's ass.
    Yes, Implosion allows a Fort save to negate, but the DC's probably 24 or 25. There's also a minor chance that he had a scroll of spell turning, and RC will fire implosion at exactly the turn before it fades, and Nale rolled 3 or 4 and will turn implosion.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ti'esar View Post
    I wasn't caught quite as off-guard as most people seem to be, thanks to Roy's suspicious wording in panel 2, but this still was a pleasant surprise. Well, sort-of-pleasant surprise - I've eagerly anticipating the "final battle" for this arc, but having it start with V once again out of commission does not bode well. And they haven't even found the Gate yet...
    to That, or I don't think there is any possibility you could positively influence this battle anyway.

EDIT: whose bright idea was it to make emoticons case-sensitive?

Also, is Tarquin riding a zombie pterosaur? The man has style (nice to see the helmet return, too).
    Nah, that's its natural color.
    Last edited by zimmerwald1915; 2012-03-30 at 06:22 PM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    to That, or I don't think there is any possibility you could positively influence this battle anyway.

EDIT: whose bright idea was it to make emoticons case-sensitive?

Nah, that's its natural color.
    I'm not talking about the color so much as the way how you can see its skull - reminds me of Xykon's dragon from Azure City.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ZLotMors View Post
    Yes, Implosion allows a Fort save to negate, but the DC's probably 24 or 25. There's also a minor chance that he had a scroll of spell turning, and RC will fire implosion at exactly the turn before it fades, and Nale rolled 3 or 4 and will turn implosion.
    If Redcloak's wisdom's remained at 20-21 since his fight with the High Priest of the Twelve Gods, the Fort DC of his Implosion would indeed be 24. Tarquin's got at least a +7 to his Fort save, and his modifier's probably higher than that. Not enough to be comfortable actually rolling a save, but not "only succeed on a 20" material either.

18. - Top - End - #108

I'm not talking about the color so much as the way how you can see its skull - reminds me of Xykon's dragon from Azure City.
    It does feel like a slightly gimped version of Xykons entrance, but then Fighters can't control their mounts with their minds...oh well.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Banned

I think those dark patches are shadows where its eye sockets, nasal cavity, and the extended orbital that forms its horn recess.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Barbarian in the Playground

MindFlayer

*gasp* Just thought of something...

Roy was looking for V when he discovered the Linear Guild. He's likely to assume that V was somehow dispatched by the LG before he got there. As far as he knew, V had run outside, and had been gone a long time, so it's natural to reach the conclusion that V is already dead and that searching the traps and pits in the ziggurat for hir would be a waste of time.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Ettin in the Playground

I think those dark patches are shadows where its eye sockets, nasal cavity, and the extended orbital that forms its horn recess.
    See also: the allosaur.

Although an army of undead dinosaurs/pterosaurs/ancient reptiles would be badass, I get this feeling that Tarquin & co. don't use undead.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

i agree, its definently not an undead pterodon, i mean think about it, dead flesh? hot desert day? not the proper way to make an entrance

*gasp* Just thought of something...

Roy was looking for V when he discovered the Linear Guild. He's likely to assume that V was somehow dispatched by the LG before he got there. As far as he knew, V had run outside, and had been gone a long time, so it's natural to reach the conclusion that V is already dead and that searching the traps and pits in the ziggurat for hir would be a waste of time.
    as conceivable as that is, remember the linear guild literally jsut arrived when Roy saw them so unless he thinks that V decided to charge at them without letting anyone know its unlikely hed think V was dead

also i doubt hes gonna go

"oh know, V must be dead, lets not look for the body to ressurect lets jsut keep going

and dont bother searching for traps or pits or anything im sure were safe"
    Last edited by Forikroder; 2012-03-30 at 06:33 PM.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

It's a 10' radius spell, I dunno how that'd even hit more than 2 of the order.

Looking forward to the impending action though.
    So you never have to interrupt a game to look up a rule again:
    My 3.5e Rules Cheat Sheets: Normal, With Consolidated Skill System
    TOGC's 3.5e Spell/etc Cards: rpgnow / drivethru rpg
    Utilities: Magic Item Shop Generator (Req. MS Excel), Balanced Low Magic Item System
    Printable Cardstock Dungeon Tiles and other terrain stuff (100 MB)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Gift Jeraff View Post
    See also: the allosaur.

Although an army of undead dinosaurs/pterosaurs/ancient reptiles would be badass, I get this feeling that Tarquin & co. don't use undead.
    Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the allosaurus as well. And I agree that undead don't really seem like Tarquin's style, even letting aside Malack.

Quote Originally Posted by Forikroder View Post
    also i doubt hes gonna go

"oh know, V must be dead, lets not look for the body to ressurect lets jsut keep going

and dont bother searching for traps or pits or anything im sure were safe"
    I don't think Roy's going to jump to the conclusion that V is dead either, but if he did do so, then I have to say that he probably wouldn't go looking for the body immediately. Generally, resurrections are done after battle, not during it.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that you mention it, it does remind me of the allosaurus as well. And I agree that undead don't really seem like Tarquin's style, even letting aside Malack.

I don't think Roy's going to jump to the conclusion that V is dead either, but if he did do so, then I have to say that he probably wouldn't go looking for the body immediately. Generally, resurrections are done after battle, not during it.
    well ya of course were talking about after the battle

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Game on. Cue the cellos.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Banned

Was anyone else listening to epic metal music when they saw the last panel?

28. - Top - End - #118
    Halfling in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

People keep speaking of how there's an epic battle coming up. I certainly hope so, we've been lacking in those since the battle at the palace, if not further back. People also keep saying that Malack is going to double cross Tarquain. I wouldn't count on that happening, loyalties of the kind between old adventuring friends are very hard to break.
    I am the Lord of Naught, the ruler of the empty throne. I rule over nothing, I have nothing. Therefore, what have I to lose?

29. - Top - End - #119

Damn, Haley certainly wanted a bath after searching Girard's tomb, but she surely didn't expect an acid shower.

Nale is just as hilariously psychophatic as ever.

"Eight percent? I've seen hospital with worse mortality rates."
    Spoiler
    Show

DM: At the end of the meal, the innkeeper is bringing you the cheese plate. Roll for initiative.
    PC: Excuse me, what?
    DM: I said, roll for initiative. They like their cheese really ripe in these parts. They have the ooze type.

"Excuse me, but... is it a GOOD or a BAD thing when the DM can't help bursting into laughter every time he hears the phrase 'level-appropriate encounter'? No, just curious..."

Extended signature

30. - Top - End - #120
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

eek Re: OOTS #847 - The Discussion Thread

My first reaction to this: HOLY CRAP!!! Tarquin has a pteranodon!!! And its realistic too!!!