New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Gaming in the wastes of Barsoom

I just saw John Carter, which rekindled the (partly ironic but mostly genuine) love I have for Burroughs' Barsoom setting. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's basically the origin of the "on a desert world, scantily clad men fight with hand-to-hand weapons over even more scantily clad women amongst vaguely roman cultures with lots of six-legged aliens" archetype. One of the cornerstones of sci-fi, in other words.

It also feels like a really rich and detailed world to play an RPG in. So my questions for the knowledgeable folks of this forum, in particular those who forgot or mercifully chose to ignore my maus guard thread...

1. Are there any published settings/systems for Barsoom?

2. What systems would be good for modeling it?

Here are what I think a good Barsoom system would require:
    • Over-the-top action. Earthmen easily jump ten feet in the air because of Mars's lower gravity, and even the weakest of the natives tend to be what 300 thought Spartans were. Also, the author of the Barsoom books was also the creator of Tarzan.
    • Room for lots of interesting races/species/setting secrets. It should be possible to brew up new organisms with quirky traits to sic on the party, or to become their allies.
    • If the system is crunchier, it shouldn't make it painful to run a game with limited armor, or occasional airship combat (airships are mostly hang-glider-esque and don't seem to take much training).
    • Lots of replayability: the guy wrote an absurd number of books, if you have the taste of a 1930's pulp reader then the system shouldn't slow you down.
    • Relatively light consequences, even if the stakes feel high. If possible, incentive to leave enemies for dead when they're not. In general, characters should be able to take a beating and shrug it off.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

original Urpriest (by Andraste)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Gaming in the wastes of Barsoom

In many ways, Dark Sun was TSRs Barsoom game. Instead of Tharks, insert Thri-kreen.
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    In many ways, Dark Sun was TSRs Barsoom game. Instead of Tharks, insert Thri-kreen.
    Dark Sun is an excellent fit for the setting, as you say, since it's pretty clearly modeled off it. It doesn't really get the pulpy feel though. I don't think anyone in the Carterverse would starve onscreen, and the whole concept of an offworlder coming in with a message of hope is exactly why Dark Sun doesn't allow offworlders.

Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

There's a Savage Worlds Mars book that borrows heavily from Barsoom. Also, if you're interested in older D&D/AD&D, there's a blogger who is working on a retro-clone supplement called Warriors of the Red Planet.
    Current D&D characters: None
    Currently GMing: "The Last War of Outremer", Pathfinder/D&D 3.5
    The Crown and the Ring: Blog where I ramble and muse about elements of gaming culture, game mechanics, the philosophy of Dungeon Mastery (at least as it applies to me), and chronicle, step by step, the creation of a campaign world.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

The recent Pathfinder supplement, Distant Worlds, has this - it's basically the rest of Golarion's solar system with a Mars and Venus expy.

There was also a d20 Barsoom thing at one point, IIRC, but not sure who made it.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Savage Worlds sounds like a pretty good system for this sort of thing, and I love the idea of Pathfinder making a Mars supplement. Cool stuff.

Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

May I suggest Feng Shui? It's been forever since I've played, but It's got the fast paced action down, and while core is set in modern hong kong, they have other settings built in. Some are futuristic and some are pretty primitive, iirc. Bonus for being easy to learn, imo.
    78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

I was magically yanked out of my bed by a Demon Lord, and deposited into a huge dungeon with three strangers. None of them were pyromaniacs :(

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

Adventure! would probably be good for this, if you can find a copy.

GURPS might work, but you'd need the 'cinematic' options - that game can be pretty lethal for unarmored fighters when played realistically.
    Imagine if all real-world conversations were like internet D&D conversations...
    Protip: DnD is an incredibly social game played by some of the most socially inept people on the planet - Lev
    I read this somewhere and I stick to it: "I would rather play a bad system with my friends than a great system with nobody". - Trevlac
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelb_Panthera View Post
    That said, trolling is entirely counterproductive (yes, even when it's hilarious).

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, D&D was originally modeled, in some part, on the Barsoom novels and designed somewhat to emulate them. More so in the early editions (think 0-ed D&D) than later. Could definately still be used to do it with no trouble.
    It doesn't matter what game you're playing as long as you're having fun.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

If you had the time, you might be able to knock 7th Sea into something that resembles Barsoom - the basic mechanics allow for over-the-top physicality, dramatic-but-not-lethal combat, and not wearing armour is the default assumption of the game. There are rules for regular ships, but no airships.

But it would take some work to excise all the swashbucklyness and replace it with Barsoominess. You'd have to come up with a handful of weapon schools, for starters.
    I write a gaming blog. It also hosts my gaming downloads:

Fatescape - FATE-based D&D emulator, for when you want D&D flavour but not D&D complexity.
    Exalted Mass Combat Rules - Because the ones in the core book suck.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

I would think Role Master (Iron Crown Enterprise) would be a great system for this. They have good rules for all armor levels and allow you to have crazy levels of weapon specialization if you are just here to duel.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

As mentioned, Dark Sun did use Barsoon as part of its inspiration, though not the only one.

Modiphius has an official John Carter of Mars RPG. Haven't played it myself but have heard from people who have that they enjoyed it.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Analytica View Post
    There was also a d20 Barsoom thing at one point, IIRC, but not sure who made it.
    There was the Slavelords of Cydonia adventure/sourcebook for Grim Tales d20.

Also Dungeon/Polyhedron had Iron Lords of Jupiter.

Both are "Barsoom" inspired rather than literal translations

14. - Top - End - #14
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Metamagic Mod: but watch out for Thread Necromancers!
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)