New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedSorcererGirl

Default Alignment Changing Magic/Items

While my frame of reference is D&D, perhaps there are other systems with similar items.

Don't Helms of Alignment Change make it so that there are almost no truly irredeemable villains?
    I do, however, wonder what the poor strawman ever did to you. - Kish

2. - Top - End - #2
    Banned

Default Re: Alignment Changing Magic/Items

Quote Originally Posted by Paseo H View Post
    While my frame of reference is D&D, perhaps there are other systems with similar items.

Don't Helms of Alignment Change make it so that there are almost no truly irredeemable villains?
    According to official WOTC lore there is no such this as an irredeemable villain PERIOD. If you get your diplomacy skill high enough you can talk anyone into redemption short of an outsider with evil subtype, and thing like the sanctify the wicked spell and such will even work on them.

Hell there was once an article about a "succubus paladin" who just decided to go good without any magical influence. So one might even be able to convince the DM to let the "talk to redemption" work on demons and devils too.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Sure, if you are fine with Mind Rape which is a rough one for Good characters (who care about the dignity of sentient creatures).

IMHO, the hypothetical Good Supersociety would simply lock Evil people away in Penitentiaries where they could do no harm to others and keep them there until they willingly repent for their crimes (and detect as non-Evil, if not Good).
    Lead Designer for Oracle Hunter Games
    Today a Blog, Tomorrow a Business!

~ Awesome Avatar by the phantastic Phase ~
    Spoiler
    Show

Elflad

4. - Top - End - #4
    Halfling in the Playground

PaladinGuy

If so, then there are also no truly incorruptible heroes. However, this type of magic must be used very sparingly, or it will be played out.
    I'm not a stereotypist. I'm just genre-savvy.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
    IMHO, the hypothetical Good Supersociety would simply lock Evil people away in Penitentiaries where they could do no harm to others and keep them there until they willingly repent for their crimes (and detect as non-Evil, if not Good).
    Hell since you can willingly fail a will save, someone who does want to repent just needs to spend 2 weeks talking with another person who is good aligned. The DC of the diplomacy check doesn't even matter! 2 weeks and you detect as good!