A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challange 4: The Bourne Tri-(and-a-half)-ogy

Welcome one and all to the fourth zinc saucier challenge, where playgrounders come to test their skill in the art of beautiful and bizarre (and bizarrely beautiful) builds.

The challenge? To come up with a build that has the same abilities and feel as the secret ingredient WITHOUT actually using it!

For the fourth challenge get ready to make sure someone else takes a bite of it first as its the Dungeon Master's Guide's Assassin

Our challengers will have 2 weeks to build a complete build from lvs 1-20 using a 32 point buy and all official 3.5 material(excluding dragon magazine, but including any WOTC online enhancements) with the abilities and feel of an assassin without actually using any levels in it.
    Entries Must be submitted by 5pm GMT, 25th of April

Contestants will be judged and awarded a score out of 5 in each of 5 categories;

* Innovation (Uniqueness in character concept, race, class, etc)
    * Power (How powerful and versatile it is compared to the base class)
    * Elegance (What can only be described as how well the build "flows", i.e not using lots of 1-2lv dips, sacrificing flavour for power or using flaws)
    * Fluff (How well the characters back-stories and classes mesh)
    * Ingredient (How well the build captures the abilities and feel of the base class)

Presentation would be best in the style of how the iron chef does their presentations, however any style is allowed so long as it is clear on how the build was made.

Please do not post details of your build on the board before it is ready, so as not to spoil the surprise for others.
    Sauciers can submit as many builds as they want but please dont use leadership, as we dont want to overfeed the judges

Also it comes with double prize money.

Previous challenges;
    1. Soulknife
    2. Bard
    3. Monk
    Last edited by motoko's ghost; 2012-04-29 at 11:44 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2

Default Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challange 4: The Bourne Tri-(and-a-half)-ogy

Hello Playgrounders, I'm back and so is the contest.
    I probably wont be judging this time however, as my schedule for the next few weeks is swamped
    However this one will hopefully go a bit smoother than the last.
    Once again thanks to those who submitted last time and their patience

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challange 4: The Bourne Tri-(and-a-half)-ogy

I'm guessing the Avenger is right out
    ARRRRGH, I'm a pirate, ninjas are no match for me, Yargh!
    Also this awesome avatar was done by KillItWithFire

4. - Top - End - #4

Quote Originally Posted by smasher0404 View Post
    I'm guessing the Avenger is right out
    I'm not going to say no, I'll just point out the innovation portion of your score

You dont really need avenger though, there's literally a dozen ways to get death attack and that's just an explicitly-worded as death attack only.

Should be fun to see what comes up though

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Psychic Assassin (Mind's eye) is also a bad choice for innovation scores?

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by deuxhero View Post
    Psychic Assassin (Mind's eye) is also a bad choice for innovation scores?
    Most of the less innovative choices are less innovative because they usually not built out in an innovative way, You can get a good score if you do something unique with it.
    I don't want to flat out say no but a part of it is coming up with bizarre and interesting builds.

So if you want use it, have fun and see if you can make something interesting out of it.

7. - Top - End - #7

Looking forward to this one. Hopefully the judging goes more smoothly this time around.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

I do like the assassin.... I might submit something for this.

9. - Top - End - #9

Okay, just PM your builds when you're done with them and I'll send them on to the judges, when people ask to be judges.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Eey,

Ill judge this one=]

Besides i got a question about the last challange, who won it?=]

cheers
    baldin

11. - Top - End - #11

Quote Originally Posted by Baldin View Post
    Eey,

Ill judge this one=]

Besides i got a question about the last challange, who won it?=]

cheers
    baldin
    Uh...everyone?

There was this whole thing where all 3 of the judges weren't able to finish due to RL stuff, so we just gave them feedback without scores. I'm planning something special to make up for that though.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Ah no problem=]

IRL is more important imo so dont feel bad=] thanks for giving us the chance to do the challange though was fun=]

cheers
    baldin

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Now that you are back, I am glad to see this. I'll be in in some fashion. If I come up with something unique I'll enter a build, if not then I'll judge. We'll see.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Sounds cool. I might enter a build if I have time next week.

...Of course, the last two times I said that, it ended up meaning "work on the build for half a week before running into problems, getting bored, and abandoning it," but this is much less restrictive than the Iron Chef setup.
    Last edited by Lateral; 2012-04-11 at 08:52 PM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

I should probably have time to submit a build.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

I have some ideas... let's see if I can get something working. Considering I have 11 days, I'm almost positive I'll have a build by then. But how to balance all the grades....

Baldin, please post judging criteria as soon as possible. Thanks.

17. - Top - End - #17

There's plenty of time and I have a nice build in mind, so I might as well compete.
    Saga of the Slavs Paradox Megacampaign AAR (Finally in HoI4!)

Sovereign Levander on Steam

18. - Top - End - #18

All right just got the first build in, and it's pretty unique. I'll get it to the confirmed judges ASAP

@mattie_p; I'll only send you the entries if you don't submit anything by the deadline

19. - Top - End - #19
    Troll in the Playground

You know what? I'll judge this beast.

• Innovation: Is the build something vanilla, or did you get creative?
    • Power: How's the power level, relative to the Assassin PrC, the other entries and on it's own.
    • Elegance: How does the build feel? Is it chopped and ugly, with small, unjustified dips? Did you sacrifice the cool ability just so you could add another point of BAB to reach that holy +16?
    • Fluff: Exactly what it sounds like. Am I bored reading through the fluff? Is it something that I'd expect , or did you do something unexpected? Does your backstory fit with your build?
    • Ingredient: Does your character feel like an Assassin or not?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

My judging:
    Innovation: Is the build something daring and new.
    Power: How strong is the build in what the creator wants and what a assassin should have. (this is not only in combat but in what an assissin should be able to do including the stealth and disquise aspect.)
    Elegance: Is the build fluently or picked out 1 or 2 lvls in multiple prc?
    Fluff: Background story and the why for feats and classes
    Ingredient: Does your character feel like an Assassin or not?

21. - Top - End - #21

Baldin, Kuulvheysoon you should have gotten the first build by now, if you haven't let me know, the forum went a bit...iffy when I tried to send it.

22. - Top - End - #22

I'm considering competing. Absolutely no idea what to do yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon
    The Underlord, you are clearly awesome.
    Current avatar by TinyMushroom
    Online gaming stuff
    Spoiler
    Show
    Steam profile: Triginomicon
    Smite IGN:JoJoMCFroYo

23. - Top - End - #23
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    Baldin, Kuulvheysoon you should have gotten the first build by now, if you haven't let me know, the forum went a bit...iffy when I tried to send it.
    First build received and judged, good sir!

24. - Top - End - #24

Post Re: Zinc Saucier Optimisation Challange 4: The Bourne Tri-(and-a-half)-ogy

Is the dragon magazine compendium permitted? I know Iron Chef allows that, but not individual issues of actual Dragon magazine.

And no, I'm not using a mountebank.
    Extended Signature here.

Darth Vader avatar by Kymme

SWSE Campaign:
    IC Thread
    OOC Thread

25. - Top - End - #25

Second challenger recieved and forwarded!

@Vilpich: yes you can use dragon compendium. also why not? you'd get to ride round Canada on horseback, have a snazzy red uniform

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by motoko's ghost View Post
    Second challenger recieved and forwarded!

@Vilpich: yes you can use dragon compendium. also why not? you'd get to ride round Canada on horseback, have a snazzy red uniform
    ...Do you honestly want us to give feedback on this second build prior to the deadline?

27. - Top - End - #27

Quote Originally Posted by Kuulvheysoon View Post
    ...Do you honestly want us to give feedback on this second build prior to the deadline?
    No...

It was a joke y'know mounty(The Canadian police force know for being mounted and having red uniforms) and mounteback(which sounds similar)

ha ha ha...this is awkward

EDIT: oh wait did you mean the second competitors request to have feedback? I don't know if you do want to PM it to me and I'll PM it to them

28. - Top - End - #28

Just got a third submission and I have to say I've never seen that in any of the builds in any of the various competitions before, should be interesting to see how it does though

EDIT: also Kuulvheysoon I passed on your feedback to the contestant in question, thanks for that
    Sorry for my absence, but had a creative block for the past while.
    Spoiler
    Show
    There are countless ingredients that make up the human body and mind, like all the components that make up me as an individual with my own personality. Sure, I have a face and voice to distinguish myself from others, but my thoughts and memories are unique only to me, and I carry a sense of my own destiny.
    The Zinc Saucier optimisation challenge, now with double prize money! Eternal Tower Campaign setting (WIP)

29. - Top - End - #29
    Firbolg in the Playground

So can we use Dragon Magazine or not? It has a feat I kinda want to grab.
    People who think Tippy equals win.
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    Clearly, this is because Tippy equals Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunken Valley View Post
    Tippy=Win
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavinfoxx View Post
    Wow... Tippy, you equal win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immabozo View Post
    Tippy, I knew, in the back of my mind, that you would have the answer. Why? Cause you win. That's why.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    Alright. I finally surrender. Tippy, you do in fact equal win. You have claimed the position of being my idol.

Quote Originally Posted by Someone who shall remain anonymous
    This post contains 100% Tippy thought. May contain dangerous amounts of ludicrousness and/or awesomeness.

30. - Top - End - #30

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    So can we use Dragon Magazine or not? It has a feat I kinda want to grab.
    I don't know, I can see points for and against it but I know some people dont like it so I'll ask the judges whether they'll be willing to judge it.