New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Question iPhone vs Android

Hello my fellow playgrounders, I am not the most tech savvy of people in the world, and in the near future I have the possibility of getting a smart phone. And I of course want the one that will be best for me. I will mainly be using it for normal phone uses as well as an organizational tool and alarm. Apps are sort of secondary for me unless if they have a more practical use as I do not want to end up spending countless hours playing random games on my phone. So I turn to you guys for advice on which one I should get.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by evil-frosty; 2012-04-10 at 06:59 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: iPhone vs Android

iPhone tends to be better optimized and has better customer service, but you have to deal with iTunes and Apple's other DRM BS

Android makes it easier to download on the go, not capping the size of the downloads through the 3G (which is good or bad depending on your service) as well as better customization.

I'm currently using Android, but both function as they need to.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

When the iPhone was first released in Australia, I spent ages resisting the desire to purchase one due to the cost - what do I need with a smart phone when my standard one can make and receive calls and texts?

Eventually, the desire to purchase one became a necessity. Not an iPhone in particular, but a smartphone which could perform certain functions was required. After doing the research, the iPhone was definitely the best option at the time.

Upon receiving and using the iPhone for the first time, I was amazed and wondered why I delayed purchasing one for so long. It worked so well and I've never used a touch interface, before or after (except on later models), that was implemented so well.

Since then, I've upgraded my phone. At the time of upgrade, I did my research again, and the new iPhone model was still the best one for my needs.

Personally, from use of my phone, the sample phones I've used, and friends who have both iPhones and Android phones, I strongly recommend the iPhone. While any one phone may have a certain feature that is better than the iPhone has, none have the better complete package.

P.S. One major difference is between the app store models. The iPhone app store is locked down to only apps that Apple approves and the Android store is open to anyone. Some people detest being told what they can and can't run by a central authority, but I personally don't mind as it makes the phone much more secure from malicious apps. The amount of malware poosing as legitimate apps for the Android is somewhat scary.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

As long as you're not randomly downloading crap from totallynotvirusesweswear.com, you have nothing to worry about regarding Android malware.

If you don't care about apps, I would actually recommend a Windows 7 Phone. The lack of apps is the platform's only major weakness, and the Metro interface is the first time someone has actually done anything new with icons since GUIs were invented.

Also, both Android and WP7 have much cheaper alternatives than Apple's baby, with many more options when it comes to carriers and services that offer them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5

GnomeWizardGuy

Thank you for the help guys. I greatly appreciate it

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    As long as you're not randomly downloading crap from totallynotvirusesweswear.com, you have nothing to worry about regarding Android malware.
    Not true. I was referring to apps sold in the official Android store run by Google.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

7. - Top - End - #7

This seems like a good place to ask, seeing as it has been making waves in the Android V iphone circles. What the Hell is Instigram? I'm told it's some sort of picture thing, but the best I could get out of my friends was that it had something to do with telegrams.

After that, why is it a big thing that Android phones now have it?
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Solo View Post
    Smelling nice and mind control are, I fear, two completely different things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Silver View Post
    Actually, I find your opinion perfectly reasonable. I'd be surprised if many people took issue with it.
    He's talking 'bout me!
    Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    And then my father comes at me with the teapot and says "Why. So. British?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Hey, I can wait. I'm young with my entire life ahead of me. I'll dream of empires amongst the stars in worlds undreamt of if I wanna :p
    Quote Originally Posted by MasamuneSSX View Post
    There are no citizens, mind bananas. Go back to your control.

8. - Top - End - #8

Quote Originally Posted by _Zoot_ View Post
    This seems like a good place to ask, seeing as it has been making waves in the Android V iphone circles. What the Hell is Instigram? I'm told it's some sort of picture thing, but the best I could get out of my friends was that it had something to do with telegrams.

After that, why is it a big thing that Android phones now have it?
    It takes photos, applies a filter, uploads them. It's now owned by Facebook.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    It takes photos, applies a filter ruins them, uploads them. It's now owned by Facebook.
    Fixed that for you :P

Personally, I prefer android for the greater amount of flexibility it gives you. There's not a single thing about it you can't change in some way or another given the right tools and apps. It also has a greater range of free apps that are progressively competing with each other to become better. More competition than in the apple market place. Plus angry birds is free, unlike apple :P And it has a GBA emulator O:

If you want something that you don't want to play around with and use more like a traditional phone for basic things, the iphone may be the way to go, but if you want to play around and customise it to your liking, an android phone is normally better.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Bor the Barbarian Monk View Post
    Dis...As far as I can tell, you are a cool frood who knows where his towel is.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Run, little Aussie artist man. Your doom will be swift and silent -
    - like the owl.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charity View Post
    *Hands Dizzy his SwoongunTM*
    Which is a hairdrier full of ether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulion View Post
    ...Dispozition...you rock so hard I feel like throwing you my underwear in appreciation just so you can know how much that rocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emlyn View Post
    Dis, I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaras View Post
    Your quotes rawk.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

From my (limited) observation, android phones offer you the flexibility of customising your phone, but those widgets and extra features supposedly suck battery life. Conversely, I am experiencing issues with my iphone where I will get cut off in the middle of a conversation from time to time (still too often for my liking).

Do you want a phone that constantly gets cut off, or one with poor battery life?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've owned two different iPhones and I loved them. They're well made and they always worked for me. Eventually I got sick of some of Apple's business practices and decided to get an Android phone. Now I have an LG Thrill. It is also well made and it has worked well for me. My point is that either way you go you can get a really good phone. The main differences I've noticed are the higher level of customization to Android phones and I enjoy having a bigger screen.
    Sweet Batpony avatar by Kairaven.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

As a point of public service, if you've had an iPhone 4 for a while, they settled the lawsuit about the antennas, so you can get either $15 or a free case if you want. Here's an article with links to the settlement page.

Back to the topic at hand, here's the comparison I would make. The iPhone is elegant. Things will work as you expect them to work, the interface is intuitive, various functions are generally easy to find, and everything will be pretty. In exchange, you're getting a very controlled environment that has to integrate with other Apple technology.

Android phones are very good, with any single phone often beating the iPhone in some feature, such as having a larger screen, better speed, some convenient button etc. However, no single phone quite capture the desired user experience as well as the iPhone does, often simply from a clunky interface. For example, one friend I had bought an Android phone and couldn't figure out how to access the app store because it didn't have an "app store" button the way that an iPhone does.

Personally, I own an iPhone and it has been wonderful (and terribly addictive ) since I got it.
    School Fox by Atlur

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Anarion's right on the money here.
    Quotes

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.”
    Oscar Wilde Writer & Poet (1891)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Personally I prefer Android. I did a lot of comparisons before buying one, and other than iPhone having more apps available, it won or tied in every category.

This probably has more to do with the actual brand/contract you get, but I can say I found their tech support to be better as well.

Me and my cousin both had to replace our phones within the past 6 months. He has an iPhone (4 I think), I have a Droid X2. His had a bad screen, mine had microphone problems so I couldn't talk unless I used the speakerphone. Both were still under warranty.

When his broke, it took 2 hours for him to convince Apple to send him a new (i.e. refurbished) one, as multiple technical support guys tried desperately to convince him that he was perfectly happy with a broken phone, and the warranty didn't say "Simon Says". They sent him a box, he used it to send them the phone, and almost two weeks later he got a new one. He was without a phone that whole time.

Three months later when mine broke, it took less than half an hour before they agreed to send a new (again, actually refurbished) phone, they waived the $12 dollar fee to overnight it, and my new one actually came with the box to send the old one in, so I was never actually phoneless.

Again, this is less about the operating system, and more about the particular contract I got, but I can tell you that Apple's tech support service is somewhat lacking.
    How to Play Rogues Properly:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Like this:

14. - Top - End - #14

Not true. I was referring to apps sold in the official Android store run by Google.
    Oh? I haven't heard of this. 'sides, there's not much an app can do without root access, which is a thing most people wouldn't be able to grant it even if they wanted to.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    For example, one friend I had bought an Android phone and couldn't figure out how to access the app store because it didn't have an "app store" button the way that an iPhone does.
    You can pin the Google Play icon to the 5-icon tray that appears on every home screen. Or put it on any of the (up to...9?) home screens. But you don't have to.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

15. - Top - End - #15
    Bugbear in the Playground

I suggest the Windows 7/Android.

Why? Well, it's not because I'm a fan of Google. (Or Microsoft) It's because I'm speaking on behalf of all my poor ex-colleagues in the Cellphone Customer Support when I say ; "No, the new iPhone is still just an iPhone. Yes, it costs 599.99 now that you're not getting a contract with it. Yes, that is the price. No, just because Apple releases another iPhone every six months doesn't mean you get one. No, I'm not discounting you. Have a nice day."
    Last edited by Misery Esquire; 2012-04-11 at 09:39 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Halfling in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

In my experience:

Iphone Pros:

Nicer looking apps.
    Nicer looking everything.
    Easier to use.
    On average more expensive apps BUT more useful.
    If you're a Graphic Designer/artist, get an iPhone. End of story. Developers assume Graphic Designers and art type people have iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) and so you'll find more apps there for you.

Android Pros:
    Larger screen (on some models)
    Better phone hardware (on some models)
    Cheaper apps... but also cheaper looking/harder to use
    You can return apps if you only downloaded them a few minutes ago and get a full refund.
    More customization
    Last edited by Shivore; 2012-04-11 at 09:46 AM.

17. - Top - End - #17

Oh? I haven't heard of this. 'sides, there's not much an app can do without root access, which is a thing most people wouldn't be able to grant it even if they wanted to.
    They can do a heck of a lot, and people tend to just grant them permissions they shouldn't because they don't know any better (why should your note taking program need access to your contacts and the internet?).

You can pin the Google Play icon to the 5-icon tray that appears on every home screen. Or put it on any of the (up to...9?) home screens. But you don't have to.
    That wasn't the point of what he said. The point was that the iPhone "just worked" and felt "right". With such a large range of Android devices, being released at different times, you can bet your bottom dollar that there will be a phone out there that can beat a particular feature of the iPhone. But many people, myself included, prefer the iPhone because it has a much better overall/complete package. The interface is part of that package.

There are definitely good Android phones out there, and you won't be disappointed if you get a good one, but after investigating all the options, the iPhone has always been the best option for me and is the option I'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinslayer View Post
    I suggest the Windows 7/Android.

Why? Well, it's not because I'm a fan of Google. (Or Microsoft) It's because I'm speaking on behalf of all my poor ex-colleagues in the Cellphone Customer Support when I say ; "No, the new iPhone is still just an iPhone. Yes, it costs 599.99 now that you're not getting a contract with it. Yes, that is the price. No, just because Apple releases another iPhone every six months doesn't mean you get one. No, I'm not discounting you. Have a nice day."
    First, I fail to see what that has to do with anything. All companies release new phones all the time. Second, the new phones have been 12 months or 18 months, not 6.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Shivore View Post
    If you're a Graphic Designer/artist, get an iPhone. End of story. Developers assume Graphic Designers and art type people have iOS devices (iPhone, iPad, etc.) and so you'll find more apps there for you.
    A smartphone or tablet is not a creator's tool. What apps could a graphic designer possibly need that real software on an actual computer can't provide better?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

I don't understand this idea that Android phones are supposed to be so difficult to use. They're really not. I'd say the time it took me to figure out my first iPhone and the time it took me to figure out my first Android phone were about the same. My boyfriend's mom got an Android as her first smart phone and she isn't a very techy person but she took to it very quickly.

20. - Top - End - #20

Quote Originally Posted by Aiani View Post
    I don't understand this idea that Android phones are supposed to be so difficult to use. They're really not. I'd say the time it took me to figure out my first iPhone and the time it took me to figure out my first Android phone were about the same. My boyfriend's mom got an Android as her first smart phone and she isn't a very techy person but she took to it very quickly.
    No one here has said that Android phones are difficult to use, just that in their experience the interface of the iPhone has been better.

As for the interface of Android phones, well, that varies immensely from phone to phone. Some of them are... far less usable than others.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Dwarf in the Playground

No one here has said that Android phones are difficult to use, just that in their experience the interface of the iPhone has been better.

As for the interface of Android phones, well, that varies immensely from phone to phone. Some of them are... far less usable than others.
    You're right that no one here has really called Android phones difficult to use but I've seen that said so often on the internet that I jumped the gun a bit. My apologies.
    Personally I like the look of my Android interface better because I always felt like my iPhone screen looked so cluttered with apps. I know you can put them into folders but that's kind of ugly too.

22. - Top - End - #22

The alterations made by individual manufacturers to stock Android are not usually very extreme and can be removed with a moderate amount of effort anyway.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I'm a past Droid owner for 2+ years and an iPhone 4S owner of a couple months now, and I'd say the similarities are like Windows XP (Droid) to Windows 7 (iPhone): Apple appears more streamlined and user-friendly on the surface, plus it plays well with its own kind. If you want more power and flexibility to tinker and have control, though, I'd stick with Android.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

I did a bit of research before buying the iPhone 4s. Once I had it, I found it very easy to use and to get what I want out of it. I already had iTunes and when I plugged the iPhone into my computer it automatically added everything from iTunes to the iPhone. There's another thing I have found out. Apple sends out updates, all the updates will transfer to my phone with no problems (or very few problems, all of them have worked perfectly so far). A fellow coworker's daughter has an Android phone. The latest update for that phone killed it off and the only way to solve the problem was to get a new smart phone.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

isn't there a no religion rule here?

I have an Android but would suggest that you use whatever is comfortable for you . if you like apple products and already have an iPod/iTunes then go for that if only to be able to use your phone as an iPod without too much greif.
    Spoiler
    Show

Avatars by various artists my thanks to them all

i won silver Protoss itp... and a Magtok!
    Quote Originally Posted by dsmiles View Post
    I know you...kind of...the hippie is always picking on you...
    Quote Originally Posted by smellie_hippie View Post
    The local Troglanders have decreed that Archie was victorious for actually bringing a KNIFE to a Skype fight.

26. - Top - End - #26

There are a couple of ways of making Android talk to iTunes, but obviously they aren't as simple as just plugging it in.

As for updates killing phones - they can't. There's nothing that even a complete ROM reflash can do to your phone that can't be solved at the recovery level. It does, however, take a little bit of knowledge to understand what that sentence even means, though.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

Even the support people or the shop couldn't fix the phone and told her she had to get a new one. My coworker is a computer person and knows a bit about it.

I really like my iPhone, my brother likes his Android. In the end it's a matter of personal preference.
    Avi by Elder Tsofu
    Inner Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Vaynor View Post
    Well you cheat, obviously. You're a druid, you can just cast Control Weather and call it a day.
    Chainmaille, Chainmail or is it Chain Mail?

28. - Top - End - #28

That's because the support people either don't know or aren't allowed to tell you about Clockwork Mod.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

RogueGuy

That's because the support people either don't know or aren't allowed to tell you about Clockwork Mod.
    Huh? I'm pretty sure most newer Android phones can do all that out of the box. Even email to text is possible with some tinkering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maquise View Post
    Anytime someone tries to bring real-world physics into a RWBY discussion, Blake kills them in self defense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastoulio
    VERILY, TOP LANE SHALL BE GUARDED BY A VALIANT KNIGHT,
    YEA, MIDDLE LANE SHALL BE OCCUPIED BY A WIZARD,
    I SAY UNTO THEE, A TEAM SHALL HAVE ONE WOODSMAN TO PATROL THE FOREST,
    FINALLY, AN ARCHER OF PENULTIMATE SKILL SHALL GO TO THE BOTTOM LANE, ACCOMPANIED ONLY BY HIS SQUIRE

30. - Top - End - #30

What? CWM is a recovery mode. You must be confusing it with custom ROMs, for the installation of which it's required, or perhaps rooting, to which is isn't related at all.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective